ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Schiano: Rutgers football is closing in on a time when fans can ‘plan their holiday trips around our bowls’

Shelby do you want Chris Ash back? I know enough of greg to know that he is making slow and steady progress. Recruiting is picking up and we just need a couple of competitive seasons to get Rutgers football back in high life ala 2006. I was there for that magical season and Greg is still a relatively young coach and has the right combination of being able to navigate not only Rutgers byzantine administration but also Trenton. So carp all you want but Greg is making progress, admittedly slower than i would like but compared to the two head coaches before him, I will take what he is doing a few years more.
Want Ash back, No.
Wish anyone else was hired instead, Yes.
Wish the 8 yr contract wasn’t absolutely absurd, preventing a 4 year reset, Yes.

There was a lot of pomp surrounding his hire. And, that really was the best that he and all of his supporters could have asked for. But, after the first season came and went (and the one after that), I was left wondering "what's the plan to achieve the kind of success you're talking about (and which guaranteed you an 8-year deal)"?

There's a lot of talk about changing culture (and, of course, raising these kids to be great men .. can't forget that one). But, when are you going to start winning those recruiting battles for the best and brightest? Is that year 2 or 6? When do you start beating the good teams in the league? In year 3 or year 7? And, how are you going to get there? All of that has been a mystery to me -- and, a lot of the fans, I'm sure.

All I know is that we're here in Year 4 and .. like him .. like all of you .. I hope the team will be successful.

But, as someone much wiser than me said, "Hope is not a plan."
Here is the thing … Schiano is not hoping …. He actually has a solid plan… the problem is too many use any negative to undermine Ex: not enough portal help on the O line… no portal QB… that was not part of how he was going to do it… Schiano will do it and he will be successful. It will be very tough but if we get any help from the administration and continue recruiting upwards nothing is impossible even with this “ terrible coach.” If the portal model ever changes it wil

Reactions: noble106
I am close to what @BeantownKnight said earlier in the thread.
When beantown said this:
"All I know is that we're here in Year 4 and .. like him .. like all of you .. I hope the team will be successful.

I felt it was a very good statement and agree hope doesn't make a program a winner.
Schiano was a good hire in my opinion because of what he did before and my beleif that those that could do a better job just wouldn't come with whatRutgers was originaly offering.
Shiano only revived a fairly decent package because of the fan support he recived and could afford to wait for the fan pressure to work because better jobs wern't rushing offers to his door.
His salary isn't that hight considering the location and the salary of other B1G HCs.
As bad as the program he took over was, 8 year contract is acceptable because I eel RU is not an easy place to get talent with it's history of being a traditional loser sice it started playing a D-1A schedule and the support the RU administration made an on the cheap when it started playing better programs that the D-1AA type it did that made Framk Burns a winner.
Burns would have continued a winner with the right support, but not one with the on the cheap program he was forced to lead.

Schiano, in my opinion, should be expected to make RUFB a competitive team this year his fourth and next year his 5th seasom needs to bring in the 2nd bowl invite in the G2 era or Hobbs must bring in someone who can and be willing to pay the price expected when the better ones talk salary and staff wages along with program upgrades

When beantown said this:
"All I know is that we're here in Year 4 and .. like him .. like all of you .. I hope the team will be successful.

I felt it was a very good statement and agree hope doesn't make a program a winner.
Schiano was a good hire in my opinion because of what he did before and my beleif that those that could do a better job just wouldn't come with whatRutgers was originaly offering.
Shiano only revived a fairly decent package because of the fan support he recived and could afford to wait for the fan pressure to work because better jobs wern't rushing offers to his door.
His salary isn't that hight considering the location and the salary of other B1G HCs.
As bad as the program he took over was, 8 year contract is acceptable because I eel RU is not an easy place to get talent with it's history of being a traditional loser sice it started playing a D-1A schedule and the support the RU administration made an on the cheap when it started playing better programs that the D-1AA type it did that made Framk Burns a winner.
Burns would have continued a winner with the right support, but not one with the on the cheap program he was forced to lead.

Schiano, in my opinion, should be expected to make RUFB a competitive team this year his fourth and next year his 5th season needs to bring in the 2nd bowl invite in the G2 era or Hobbs must bring in someone who can and be willing to pay the price expected when the better ones talk salary and staff wages along with program upgrades
I’m sure some won’t agree, but it will be the 1st IMO.

Reactions: Section124
Want Ash back, No.
Wish anyone else was hired instead, Yes.
Wish the 8 yr contract wasn’t absolutely absurd, preventing a 4 year reset, Yes.
Shelby, Between HCKF and HCCA we the fans had six years of absolute hell. Giving the guy who was the architect of the Rutgers fooball revival a contract for 8 years to stabilize and build the program I do not think is too much. While everyone on this board would Love to see Rutgers dominating programs like Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan that cannot and will not happen unless RU is willing to pony up the 7-9 mm/year for an Urban Meyer or Brian Kelly like talent. Honestly, those "elite" programs are entrenched because they figured out in the 1950's and 1960's that Football was great publicity for the schools through the medium of television. Rutgers was way late to the game but we are catching up. Our State has a plethora of of football talent and the biggest media market in the world. Rutgers time is coming and Schiano is the first and second builder of the program. The real question is going to be in the future who will take over when Schiano retires/fired. Our modern track record of hiring coaches not named Schiano, is terrible. Hobbs needs a list of successful up and coming coaches to pluck at a moment's notice of the caliber of a Lance Leipold. Never heard of Lance before he went to Buffalo but he is an excellent builder of programs.

Reactions: RUbacker
Shelby, Between HCKF and HCCA we the fans had six years of absolute hell. Giving the guy who was the architect of the Rutgers fooball revival a contract for 8 years to stabilize and build the program I do not think is too much. While everyone on this board would Love to see Rutgers dominating programs like Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan that cannot and will not happen unless RU is willing to pony up the 7-9 mm/year for an Urban Meyer or Brian Kelly like talent. Honestly, those "elite" programs are entrenched because they figured out in the 1950's and 1960's that Football was great publicity for the schools through the medium of television. Rutgers was way late to the game but we are catching up. Our State has a plethora of of football talent and the biggest media market in the world. Rutgers time is coming and Schiano is the first and second builder of the program. The real question is going to be in the future who will take over when Schiano retires/fired. Our modern track record of hiring coaches not named Schiano, is terrible. Hobbs needs a list of successful up and coming coaches to pluck at a moment's notice of the caliber of a Lance Leipold. Never heard of Lance before he went to Buffalo but he is an excellent builder of programs.
HCCA was 3-33 in conference play over 4 years (0.75 conf wins/year). GS is 6-20 in conference play over 3 years (2 conf wins/year). Its not where it needs to be yet, but its 265% or so better than it was based on conference wins per year.

Here is the thing … Schiano is not hoping …. He actually has a solid plan… the problem is too many use any negative to undermine Ex: not enough portal help on the O line… no portal QB… that was not part of how he was going to do it… Schiano will do it and he will be successful. It will be very tough but if we get any help from the administration and continue recruiting upwards nothing is impossible even with this “ terrible coach.” If the portal model ever changes it wil
This board has no influence one way or the other on the success of the program under Greg Schiano. That reminds me of the posts blaming the fans after a loss for not standing on third down or not getting to their seats by kickoff. Foolishness.

This board has no influence one way or the other on the success of the program under Greg Schiano. That reminds me of the posts blaming the fans after a loss for not standing on third down or not getting to their seats by kickoff. Foolishness.
On that note, it amazes me that so many fans aren’t in their seats at kickoff at Rutgers games. I never understood showing up late to a game.

everyone knows if the fanbase isn't focused on the win before game starts , a loss is sure to happen.
The seats must be down and filled, my wife has a hissy fit when I don't leave the seat down because I was standing😁

As for standing on third down, some fans have 2nd thoughts about doing so because the person behind them is 7' 350 lbs and don't want their view blocked because they will be sitting every 3rd down because they drank a little too mush tailgating and are know to be a little violent when drunk☠️

But we will get the blame from some on here.

Which is pretty much what anybody can ask for being fair.

I agree 100%. I think the defense is going to be impressive from what I'm hearing.
And it will be… if we can somehow put 25-26 points as an average we can get to 6 wins. Need to stop the 3 and outs … need to make teams work on D. Schiano is acting exactly as he should with this team. Don’t accept excuses of being young , minimize mistakes, cut penalties to less than 4-5 per game.

The board has no influence on the outcome of a game. However, it certainly does have an impact on a program when recruits and their families come on and see the negativity around the fanbase. I know as a family member just went through it when he was recruited to play at a local D1 school within the last 5 years.

I don't know why you think it has no impact even if it's not major.

The board has no influence on the outcome of a game. However, it certainly does have an impact on a program when recruits and their families come on and see the negativity around the fanbase. I know as a family member just went through it when he was recruited to play at a local D1 school within the last 5 years.

I don't know why you think it has no impact even if it's not major.
Recruits and their families are not making decisions based on reactions on an anonymous free sports board. They make decisions based on the position coach, coordinators, head coach, conference, facilities, and nowadays NIL money, and yes, maybe for a few, academics.

Recruits and their families are not making decisions based on reactions on an anonymous free sports board. They make decisions based on the position coach, coordinators, head coach, conference, facilities, and nowadays NIL money, and yes, maybe for a few, academics.
The tone of this message board is part of the overall health of the program. If a possible recruit or parent of a recruit came on here searching for information about the program and saw people writing off Schiano 2.0 before the season even started, you think that's not leaving a bad taste in that families' mouth?

Everyone is so proud that we're done begging NJ recruits to come here. Now that we're recruiting more nationally, a ton of these kids don't know Rutgers from a hole in the wall. I think it's very possible that constant negativity will turn off brand new people to the program. I know that regarding my family member who plays football, he's grown up with the "Rutgers sucks" mentality from since he was little. No, that's not from this message board, but the ABR mentality is a real obstacle and is perpetuated by our some of own fans on this board on a frequent basis.

I never said that this is the biggest or even a top 5 piece of having a recruit make a choice. However, if you don't think people read this place and are turned off by the negativity, I don't know what to tell you. I just think you're wrong.

I really don’t think RU fans and students are much different from other places. If the football team wins, people will show up on time. I thought the game against Iowa last year is a good example. There was a big crowd and they were there early. The team didn’t perform well. Until the play on the field changes, there will be things to criticize about the fan base.

The tone of this message board is part of the overall health of the program. If a possible recruit or parent of a recruit came on here searching for information about the program and saw people writing off Schiano 2.0 before the season even started, you think that's not leaving a bad taste in that families' mouth?

Everyone is so proud that we're done begging NJ recruits to come here. Now that we're recruiting more nationally, a ton of these kids don't know Rutgers from a hole in the wall. I think it's very possible that constant negativity will turn off brand new people to the program. I know that regarding my family member who plays football, he's grown up with the "Rutgers sucks" mentality from since he was little. No, that's not from this message board, but the ABR mentality is a real obstacle and is perpetuated by our some of own fans on this board on a frequent basis.

I never said that this is the biggest or even a top 5 piece of having a recruit make a choice. However, if you don't think people read this place and are turned off by the negativity, I don't know what to tell you. I just think you're wrong.
Who sucks more?
A. Rutgers
B. Mets
C. Yankees

Tough call!

I do think it’s too much…the guy did nothing but fail (and get passed over by a less experienced coach at OSU) since the first go round.

He was an NFL and CFB outcast, unhirable and toxic as a head coach and we give him 8 years?

What HS team was he going to help instead?

Inexcusable and now instead of light at the end of the tunnel we see flames.

With the last two we weren’t saddled with shitty coaches past their expiration date. But this guy ….

Yet if your bar is the HC not wearing a disguise to meet with a professor to get a grade changed…then GS is doing a great job !!

I really don’t think RU fans and students are much different from other places. If the football team wins, people will show up on time. I thought the game against Iowa last year is a good example. There was a big crowd and they were there early. The team didn’t perform well. Until the play on the field changes, there will be things to criticize about the fan base.
Waaaaay different in the sense that even if something is positive at Rutgers we have some who will literally crap on it in order to feel good.

You don't think EVERY SINGLE fan base has people who criticize the coach? Check out an Ohio State board after a rare loss. I once saw someone say they should disband the program. Don't expect fans to be happy and peppy and bursting with love while the play on the field is wretched and just pretend things aren't bad after another 30 to 0 loss. The $4 million coach--sorry $32 million coach--needs to earn his salary.

Not like the Rutgers fanbase.You can criticize game play or coaching calls but when that criticism becomes outright hate speech ….because you have hated the coach from his initial first hire no … that’s a Rutgers thing . I can understand being pissed off but here we literally eat our own. Some older former players who I have known, tailgated with and had some great times with have disliked a particular head coach and still do in 2023 .

The "Rutgers sucks" mentality did not come from this of any other Rutgers sports board. People arguing over whether a coach in the 4th year of a rebuild should be expected to win enough games to become bowl eligible has absolutely no connection to that mentality except for a few cultists who believe in blind allegiance to the current coach no matter what his record. Again, even thinking that this board has any connection to a recruit or his family's decision is simply delusional, this board has no affect whatsoever on Rutgers football at any level.

You don't think EVERY SINGLE fan base has people who criticize the coach? Check out an Ohio State board after a rare loss. I once saw someone say they should disband the program. Don't expect fans to be happy and peppy and bursting with love while the play on the field is wretched and just pretend things aren't bad after another 30 to 0 loss. The $4 million coach--sorry $32 million coach--needs to earn his salary.
He’s a 4 million a year coach toward the bottom of the BIG salary wise. This is a long rebuild. He needs more than the average time.

In addition, I really don't understand the salary issue. Once again, last year GS was tied for 12th out of 14 B1G 10 coaches in terms of pay. If he was the $9 million dollar man like Mel Tucker I could understand the issue. You want to talk about a guy getting paid who has accomplished nothing, then Mel is your man. Between Colorado and MSU he's been a head coach for 5 years. Throw out the one year that he had Walker and his career record is 12-19 and in the B1G 10 5-11. This was after taking over a program that went to bowl games 12 out of 13 years.If there ever was a coach stealing money this is your man. I
In terms of hiring a B1G10 coach you could argue that we got off cheap.

Last edited:
He’s a 4 million a year coach toward the bottom of the BIG salary wise. This is a long rebuild. He needs more than the average time.
More than average time is not going to fix the in game Coaching blunders, poor team preparation, and lack of team discipline. See Nebraska and Iowa games in Piscataway.

Reactions: brgRC90
And it will be… if we can somehow put 25-26 points as an average we can get to 6 wins. Need to stop the 3 and outs … need to make teams work on D. Schiano is acting exactly as he should with this team. Don’t accept excuses of being young , minimize mistakes, cut penalties to less than 4-5 per game.
We would have had 6 wins last year with a healthy Vedral , I’m convinced of that. We can get to 6 this year.

I think Schiano has a complex system that takes players a little longer to grasp. Once they get it though, look out.
Four years with Schiano and these kids are ready for the league.
We are beginning to see more RU kids getting signed. To me that’s a big indicator of future success on the field.
His first time around he put around 30 kids in the NFL.
This time ? With the Big Ten status? he might double that.

Also I think this board does have an influence on the program. I think our fan base needs to improve just like the team does. We need to help fill that stadium.
Personally I have a problem with 10,000 Ohio State fans taking over our stadium.
I am always actively looking to bring more people to games.
As the team improves I think the students will start holding up their end and the alums too.
How many here are part of the touchdown club? And who is going to the meeting on the 24th?

Reactions: pmvon
I think Schiano has a complex system that takes players a little longer to grasp. Once they get it though, look out.
Four years with Schiano and these kids are ready for the league.
We are beginning to see more RU kids getting signed. To me that’s a big indicator of future success on the field.
His first time around he put around 30 kids in the NFL.
This time ? With the Big Ten status? he might double that.

Also I think this board does have an influence on the program. I think our fan base needs to improve just like the team does. We need to help fill that stadium.
Personally I have a problem with 10,000 Ohio State fans taking over our stadium.
I am always actively looking to bring more people to games.
As the team improves I think the students will start holding up their end and the alums too.
How many here are part of the touchdown club? And who is going to the meeting on the 24th?
I ll be at the meeting next week.

I’m not expecting much from Schiano and I ll expect to hear the same “ it’s a process “ mantra etc.

Still have no idea why that “ process “ doesn’t include better qb competition nor skilled better wr athletes etc.

Makes me think he remains in a coaching style that is passed his time or the better skilled offensive athletes don’t want to come here given his track record on the offensive side of the ball.

I find the extreme negativity pretty baffling. The defense is projected to be “good” not just servicable this year. Let’s see what it looks like. Unfortunately, offensive outcomes are heavily skewed by QB play and we were in a bit of a bind with that situation. Gavin needed to be given ample opportunity to shine based on the way we doubled down bringing him in early. Nobody can fault the staff for taking a kid with his rating a year early the way we did but if we recruited over him too soon it would not be a good look. Clearly we had to give him a chance this year. Let’s see what he can do but if he’s still inaccurate we probably won’t see the results we’re looking for until we bring in a legit QB (not necessarily a star but someone who can at least keep the offense on the field). That doesn’t mean the staff hasn’t elevated the program though or that we’re not on the right track. Let’s see what the team looks like overall this season before judging.

Why are you all getting this worked up now? Greg isn’t going anywhere to start this season, he’s likely not going anywhere mid season either unless temple beats up by 30. At the end of this season, the results need to be there…. It’s that simple.

Greg has exhausted the firing the coordinator excuse, so now it’s time to put up or shut up.

Now I realize we have a legion of fans who still live under the delusion that football is played the same way as it was in 2006 and Greg Schiano is the same coach as he was on 06’ as well. These fan’s drive me crazy as they are more loyal to a football coach than Rutgers…. I don’t care what Greg did in the past, the last performance we saw was a 37-0 shellacking to ‘perennial power’ Maryland to finish off the season with a 1-8 conference record…. If the results next year look anywhere close to that, some serious discussions need to be had, and yes the older fans who still think it’s 2006 are simply going to have to let Greg go…

Reactions: brgRC90
I find the extreme negativity pretty baffling. The defense is projected to be “good” not just servicable this year. Let’s see what it looks like. Unfortunately, offensive outcomes are heavily skewed by QB play and we were in a bit of a bind with that situation. Gavin needed to be given ample opportunity to shine based on the way we doubled down bringing him in early. Nobody can fault the staff for taking a kid with his rating a year early the way we did but if we recruited over him too soon it would not be a good look. Clearly we had to give him a chance this year. Let’s see what he can do but if he’s still inaccurate we probably won’t see the results we’re looking for until we bring in a legit QB (not necessarily a star but someone who can at least keep the offense on the field). That doesn’t mean the staff hasn’t elevated the program though or that we’re not on the right track. Let’s see what the team looks like overall this season before judging.

I agree. Recruited high level QB but hard to tell outside of the truly top top ones if they will be good. We have not had good fortune with QB play and so much relies on it.

Why are you all getting this worked up now? Greg isn’t going anywhere to start this season, he’s likely not going anywhere mid season either unless temple beats up by 30. At the end of this season, the results need to be there…. It’s that simple.

Greg has exhausted the firing the coordinator excuse, so now it’s time to put up or shut up.

Now I realize we have a legion of fans who still live under the delusion that football is played the same way as it was in 2006 and Greg Schiano is the same coach as he was on 06’ as well. These fan’s drive me crazy as they are more loyal to a football coach than Rutgers…. I don’t care what Greg did in the past, the last performance we saw was a 37-0 shellacking to ‘perennial power’ Maryland to finish off the season with a 1-8 conference record…. If the results next year look anywhere close to that, some serious discussions need to be had, and yes the older fans who still think it’s 2006 are simply going to have to let Greg go…

It’s less about loyalty to Greg and more about a basic understanding that this is a hard build/rebuild and that it takes more time than 4 years. In 4 years your very first recruits are seniors. Also, Hard to recruit out the gate after such a disaster. Further the major programs have so much. Depth with years after years of high quality recruits. Many moving back a year because the other guys a 5 star etc.

Reactions: noble106
I ll be at the meeting next week.

I’m not expecting much from Schiano and I ll expect to hear the same “ it’s a process “ mantra etc.

Still have no idea why that “ process “ doesn’t include better qb competition nor skilled wr athletes etc.
It’s less about loyalty to Greg and more about a basic understanding that this is a hard build/rebuild and that it takes more time than 4 years. In 4 years your very first recruits are seniors. Also, Hard to recruit out the gate after such a disaster. Further the major programs have so much. Depth with years after years of high quality recruits. Many moving back a year because the other guys a 5 star etc.
It does take time and remember the first year he was hired very late in the process so that season you have to take with a grain of salt . Best thing is we are moving forward with everything in this rebuild and brighter days are ahead as opposed to when ash was here we were a dead program going nowhere . Each year was just wasting time and going in wrong direction . Those were dark days .

Reactions: pmvon
The "Rutgers sucks" mentality did not come from this of any other Rutgers sports board. People arguing over whether a coach in the 4th year of a rebuild should be expected to win enough games to become bowl eligible has absolutely no connection to that mentality except for a few cultists who believe in blind allegiance to the current coach no matter what his record. Again, even thinking that this board has any connection to a recruit or his family's decision is simply delusional, this board has no affect whatsoever on Rutgers football at any level.
Why do you think you know what is important to every recruit and their family? I don't think message boards are a top decision criterion for recruits but it may play a role for some when schools seem equal and it may be important to some recruits. Because of this I try to limit calling out players directly for poor play and would never be derogatory, maybe just discuss stats and need for improvement.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Schiano had the benefit of following the two worst coaches in RU history. It reminds me of a former Director I knew who said he loved to take over dysfunctional units because it was so easy to look good making a few changes. We are slowly improving and I hope we can get back to bowling soon for the players and the fans but last year's results were scary if you look closely and margins of wins and losses. 5 wins is necessary for momentum and with a 4th year and 3rd year qb in year 4 of Schiano this should not be a big ask.

Let's hope the team is better than last year. Problem is so are Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, etc. They just reload, we rebuild.

Everyone is saying the defense will be good. I hope so. But Schiano needs to also work on the offense and "update" it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT