ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Schiano: Rutgers football is closing in on a time when fans can ‘plan their holiday trips around our bowls’

Amateurs, look solely at W-L. People who are a bit smarter than 95 can measure progress in more subtle ways. Put it this way, if our schedule was Ohio State, Texas, Auburn, Alabama, Penn State, Wisconsin Michigan, Michigan State, Florida, Miami, and Georgia, would 1-10 be acceptable at Rutgers? rbgGC would cry, where is the progress? Shelby would say fire the coach with no means of funding a replacement. Hire anyone but it has to be below $1 million a year with zero guarantee. Dreamworld thinking.
Tell us oh expect where there was significant progress last year between the Ws and Ls. An offense that was terrible in Game 1 was worse in Game 12.

By best attendance did they mean ticket sales or fannies in seats on game day?
I assume it is whatever was the announced attendance. Not sure what they use to determine that anymore because they give away so many free seats / dump to Stub Hub or Seat Geek.

Reactions: EmptySeats
So- I am not going to read through the entire thread- but it is enough that shelby is the biggest duche Cuse fan that is allowed to post here constantly with nothing but crap.

Anyway- in regard to Greg 2.0 - GS 1.0 did something amazing when he was here. Even in 2004, myself, being from upstate NY- I had no idea what a Rutgers was. But- despite that and a 4 win season with a loss to NH- my son selected to play here. I got to experience 2005-09 first hand. And that was all I could think of Rutgers- plan my vacation around the bowl game- we even had such a blast traveling on X-Mas day to a bowl game. It just made for such a great X-Mas!

But now- Greg has to stop with this shit of we are almost there. He put all his eggs in Gavin's basket and defense. His big weakness is being exposed again- he has no idea how to recruit a winning team. He can get defensive players, he may even get an offensive player or two, but he cannot build an offensive roster. And he can't keep his hands off the offense.

I think he was the right guy after Ash- but I don't see him as the right guy to improve us. If Gavin doesn't throw major numbers this year- 4 wins at best again

He should not get another year or two unless we see something significant this year. In my book- Greg is playing QB this year

Reactions: RAHWAYBOB
So- I am not going to read through the entire thread- but it is enough that shelby is the biggest duche Cuse fan that is allowed to post here constantly with nothing but crap.

Anyway- in regard to Greg 2.0 - GS 1.0 did something amazing when he was here. Even in 2004, myself, being from upstate NY- I had no idea what a Rutgers was. But- despite that and a 4 win season with a loss to NH- my son selected to play here. I got to experience 2005-09 first hand. And that was all I could think of Rutgers- plan my vacation around the bowl game- we even had such a blast traveling on X-Mas day to a bowl game. It just made for such a great X-Mas!

But now- Greg has to stop with this shit of we are almost there. He put all his eggs in Gavin's basket and defense. His big weakness is being exposed again- he has no idea how to recruit a winning team. He can get defensive players, he may even get an offensive player or two, but he cannot build an offensive roster. And he can't keep his hands off the offense.

I think he was the right guy after Ash- but I don't see him as the right guy to improve us. If Gavin doesn't throw major numbers this year- 4 wins at best again

He should not get another year or two unless we see something significant this year. In my book- Greg is playing QB this year

It strikes me that a 2023 version of Fridge could solve the problem. But could Schiano give up enough control to let it happen?

This is the second time you are using Mary coming in 0-3. That was at Wisky, at PSU and home at OSU, a great majority of teams would have gone 0-3. They finished 8-5 with a bowl win over ranked NCState. Mary was pretty good last year. The issue is why are they so much better than us at this point in time.

The divide between their 7-5 and our 4-8 with an unbalanced schedule really isn’t as tremendous as some make it out to be. We both won out our soft non-conference schedules. Both lost as expected to PSU, OSU and Michigan. They lost to Purdue and Wisconsin. We lost to Minny and Iowa. We both beat Indiana.

So the differences are - 1) they beat Michigan State (we didn’t but we also had to go to their place while Maryland played them at home). 2) They beat NW (1 win team not on our schedule (though we should’ve won Nebraska anyway), 3) and then obviously they won the head to head but it’s hard to take much away from a game where bowl season was already out of reach.

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
I was responding specifically to the comments about expectations for 2023. Several folks are saying anything less than 6 wins is unacceptable (bare minimum).

We should not be losing to Wagner or Temple. But knocking off OSU or beating another ranked team at their place is a lot to ask for. If you assume those games are losses and Temple / Wagner wins (which is likely) - we still have to go 4-1 against Michigan State, Maryland, Indiana, NW and VT. Just because several of these teams weren’t that good last year doesn’t mean they won’t be better this year. We weren’t good last year either. 4-1 is a very small margin of error.
I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as just wins/losses either. What I need to see is competitive games. What’s really killing Greg right now is fans recent memories of 30-0 to Minnesota, 37-0 to Maryland, etc. those are the types of games that can’t happen.

Beyond that, I will never be able to forget the abomination that was 1:33 left before HT down 7 to Michigan state with 3 timeouts on our own 35 after a splash play…. That was the single worst coaching sequence I’ve ever seen at any level of football, middle school included

This is the second time you are using Mary coming in 0-3. That was at Wisky, at PSU and home at OSU, a great majority of teams would have gone 0-3. They finished 8-5 with a bowl win over ranked NCState. Mary was pretty good last year. The issue is why are they so much better than us at this point in time.
Not disagreeing there, the point is the weren’t rolling like a well oiled machine the way you would expect a team who beating a conference opponent 37-0 in November no matter how lowly the opponent.

That’s just not the way to end a year that the whole season the head coach kept pounding the idea that we’d be ‘better in November’. Greg needs to be held accountable this year, it’s that simple.

Amateurs, look solely at W-L. People who are a bit smarter than 95 can measure progress in more subtle ways. Put it this way, if our schedule was Ohio State, Texas, Auburn, Alabama, Penn State, Wisconsin Michigan, Michigan State, Florida, Miami, and Georgia, would 1-10 be acceptable at Rutgers? rbgGC would cry, where is the progress? Shelby would say fire the coach with no means of funding a replacement. Hire anyone but it has to be below $1 million a year with zero guarantee. Dreamworld thinking.
so what you’re saying is the ‘professional’ Rutgers fans can take pride in winning 1 conference home game in 5 years???

Gimme a break, get off your high horse

Reactions: Wolv RU and brgRC90
Not disagreeing there, the point is the weren’t rolling like a well oiled machine the way you would expect a team who beating a conference opponent 37-0 in November no matter how lowly the opponent.

That’s just not the way to end a year that the whole season the head coach kept pounding the idea that we’d be ‘better in November’. Greg needs to be held accountable this year, it’s that simple.

so what you’re saying is the ‘professional’ Rutgers fans can take pride in winning 1 conference home game in 5 years???

Gimme a break, get off your high horse
The conference home game wins will come. We’re still building the program. This isn’t the year for accountability. Hobbs knows that, most of the fanbase know that, only you and a few others don’t know that.

I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as just wins/losses either. What I need to see is competitive games. What’s really killing Greg right now is fans recent memories of 30-0 to Minnesota, 37-0 to Maryland, etc. those are the types of games that can’t happen.

Beyond that, I will never be able to forget the abomination that was 1:33 left before HT down 7 to Michigan state with 3 timeouts on our own 35 after a splash play…. That was the single worst coaching sequence I’ve ever seen at any level of football, middle school included

It’s also not as simple as just looking at those scores in a vacuum. I blame the staff (Schiano included as he’s in charge) for the Nebraska loss. That’s a game we should’ve and would’ve won by keeping the ball on the ground based on what Brown was showing. It was obvious that all we needed to do was ride him and let the defense hold them. Schiano knew it too and responded. We won the next game (Indiana). But then Brown goes down and suddenly our planned scheme isn’t going to work because we don’t have a back to execute it. None of this even takes into account the preseason injury to Vedral who was clearly the planned starting QB.

I get it - injuries are part of the game, but what you and others are completely overlooking is that the teams you reference that showed amazing “turnaround” seasons would have failed also against our schedule if they happened to lose one of the most important pieces to their offense. Everyone deals with injuries, yes, but there’s no denying the existence of the luck factor in terms of which players are the ones sustaining injuries. You want to factor in close games - how about our effort vs. Michigan the game before Sutton (and another starting lineman) went down? Teams that are rebuilding aren’t deep. That’s not unique to us.

There’s an element of coaching, in general, that’s luck based for sure. Eventually if you don’t win, a team has to move on. That said - if luck truly is random you’d think that we’re due for a season where one or more of our 5 most important players doesn’t sustain a major injury.

It’s also not as simple as just looking at those scores in a vacuum. I blame the staff (Schiano included as he’s in charge) for the Nebraska loss. That’s a game we should’ve and would’ve won by keeping the ball on the ground based on what Brown was showing. It was obvious that all we needed to do was ride him and let the defense hold them. Schiano knew it too and responded. We won the next game (Indiana). But then Brown goes down and suddenly our planned scheme isn’t going to work because we don’t have a back to execute it. None of this even takes into account the preseason injury to Vedral who was clearly the planned starting QB.

I get it - injuries are part of the game, but what you and others are completely overlooking is that the teams you reference that showed amazing “turnaround” seasons would have failed also against our schedule if they happened to lose one of the most important pieces to their offense. Everyone deals with injuries, yes, but there’s no denying the existence of the luck factor in terms of which players are the ones sustaining injuries. You want to factor in close games - how about our effort vs. Michigan the game before Sutton (and another starting lineman) went down? Teams that are rebuilding aren’t deep. That’s not unique to us.

There’s an element of coaching, in general, that’s luck based for sure. Eventually if you don’t win, a team has to move on. That said - if luck truly is random you’d think that we’re due for a season where one or more of our 5 most important players doesn’t sustain a major injury.
Newsflash! Every team sustains injuries…. Every single one! To blame a season on 1 player going down who has exactly 1 career 100 yard game is pure lunacy.. you talk about Brown as though he’s a heisman candidate. The guy has ONE career 100 yard game! A game it took him 30+ carry’s to get over 100! Now I like Brown, I think he’s a nice young back but you are acting like this kid is ray rice coming off a 1500 yard season. Balogna!

Let’s talk about the coaching. Let’s talk about how with 1:33 on the clock with 3 timeouts down 7 on the road to a team where 6 players were suspended after a splash play to move us to our 35 we take a f*cking knee!!! Inexcusable! Horrible coaching! A fireable offense if there ever was one. A game we wound up losing by 6! Terrible! Absolutely terrible coaching! THAT is the problem! Greg Schiano has no idea how to coach in 2023

The conference home game wins will come. We’re still building the program. This isn’t the year for accountability. Hobbs knows that, most of the fanbase know that, only you and a few others don’t know that.
Jesus Christ Al you don’t know the first thing about what Hobbs thinks. You make up narratives to fit your own to try tobuy Greg more time because for some reason you actually think your posts on this board make a difference in anything that happens with the program.

No one cares Al, win and he stays, another year like last and it’s bye bye Greg

Reactions: brgRC90
Jesus Christ Al you don’t know the first thing about what Hobbs thinks. You make up narratives to fit your own to try tobuy Greg more time because for some reason you actually think your posts on this board make a difference in anything that happens with the program.

I know what Hobbs thinks because he shared his feelings on a recent podcast. He understands that we are building the program, so Your assertions are based on nothing.

Another year like last year and nothing happens, so stop making stuff up because you don’t know what you’re talking about.

A 4 year job doesn’t get an 8 year contract. Everyone knows this is a long term project save for a few blathering fools on this board.

I know what Hobbs thinks because he shared his feelings on a recent podcast. He understands that we are building the program, so Your assertions are based on nothing.

Another year like last year and nothing happens, so stop making stuff up because you don’t know what you’re talking about.

A 4 year job doesn’t get an 8 year contract. Everyone knows this is a long term project save for a few blathering fools on this board.
Are you really that naive? Do actually follow sports? What do you think Hobbs is going to say at this point? Unbelievable, simply unbelievable.

Actually, it won’t be his last. He’s got at least two more after this because of the crippling contract we can’t get out from under. Asinine Al looks at the annual salary, deflecting from the contract length which is the real issue.

If he had a reasonable, standard 5 yr deal we could get rid of him after this year, eating 4M plus some assistant salaries. But we can’t eat $16M in December after another 1-8 conference record

Are you really that naive? Do actually follow sports? What do you think Hobbs is going to say at this point? Unbelievable, simply unbelievable.
Are you naive? This is Rutgers not fantasyland, and Hobbs understands how difficult it is to get things done here. It is amazing how clueless you and the other Schiano naysayers are.

Have you been to Penn State? Ohio State? Michigan? This is a difficult job, and Schiano is going to get adequate time to do it. He didn’t get an 8 year contract to complete the job in four years, though we might be able to win this year, but it’s not a guarantee.

Everyone is in this for the long haul. If you need to win sooner, find another team.

Are you naive? This is Rutgers not fantasyland, and Hobbs understands how difficult it is to get things done here. It is amazing how clueless you and the other Schiano naysayers are.

Have you been to Penn State? Ohio State? Michigan? This is a difficult job, and Schiano is going to get adequate time to do it. He didn’t get an 8 year contract to complete the job in four years, though we might be able to win this year, but it’s not a guarantee.

Everyone is in this for the long haul. If you need to win sooner, find another team.
Asinine Al - You mean, find another team that has a fieldhouse because teams/coaches without one can’t possibly win, right ?

Hobbs is going to support Schiano publicly until the day he fires him. You are simply oblivious or you're trolling Rutgers fans, sometimes it is hard to figure out which one.

Hobbs is going to support Schiano publicly until the day he fires him. You are simply oblivious or you're trolling Rutgers fans, sometimes it is hard to figure out which one.
Don’t disagree. But his podcast comments lead me to believe that he understands the difficulty of the job and the things that are needed to do it more effectively, such as the Fieldhouse.

Don’t disagree. But his podcast comments lead me to believe that he understands the difficulty of the job and the things that are needed to do it more effectively, such as the Fieldhouse.
I actually agree with you, there is no way he wants to fire Schiano at this point and deal with a huge buyout, that is a given. He is going to do everything possible to make sure Schiano is a success. Where I probably disagree with you is if Schiano gets off to a bad start this year with these very winnable first 3 games and then goes 1-8/2-7 in the conference again, I believe he will begin to assert some real pressure on Schiano and so that year 5 will be a make-or-break season, fieldhouse, or no fieldhouse. I don't think Schiano has two more free years.

He says the same nothing fluff any person in his situation would. Go back and watch the pre season press conferences of AD’s who fired the coach following the season and you will hear the same kind of lingo. It’s non unique, uninspiring garbage that you are holding onto because you cannot let go of your memories.

Your obsession over Greg Schiano is unhealthy Al. I genuinely worry about you when he leaves

What people aren't talking about is that Schiano is going to want/demand a contract extension after the 2024 season. He is going to argue that he will be at a severe recruiting disadvantage if he has less than 4 years remaining on his deal. That is why I believe 2023 to an extent, and definitely 2024, are the make-or-break years for Schiano. I can't see him getting his extension coming off another losing season in 2024, and having an unhappy Schiano is not something Hobbs will want to deal with. That is why I don't buy into this two free years crap some are trying to sell.

Reactions: Brisket and Bourbon
What people aren't talking about is that Schiano is going to want/demand a contract extension after the 2024 season. He is going to argue that he will be at a severe recruiting disadvantage if he has less than 4 years remaining on his deal. That is why I believe 2023 to an extent, and definitely 2024, are the make-or-break years for Schiano. I can't see him getting his extension coming off another losing season in 2024, and having an unhappy Schiano is not something Hobbs will want to deal with. That is why I don't buy into this two free years crap some are trying to sell.
win big and he should ask.
Have a bad season and Hobbs will say : hope your next job pays you that.
Have a competitive team that shows it's going to be a winner, Greg can ask, Hobbs can tell him bring on a bowl game in 2025 and we'll talk.

Newsflash! Every team sustains injuries…. Every single one! To blame a season on 1 player going down who has exactly 1 career 100 yard game is pure lunacy.. you talk about Brown as though he’s a heisman candidate. The guy has ONE career 100 yard game! A game it took him 30+ carry’s to get over 100! Now I like Brown, I think he’s a nice young back but you are acting like this kid is ray rice coming off a 1500 yard season. Balogna!

Let’s talk about the coaching. Let’s talk about how with 1:33 on the clock with 3 timeouts down 7 on the road to a team where 6 players were suspended after a splash play to move us to our 35 we take a f*cking knee!!! Inexcusable! Horrible coaching! A fireable offense if there ever was one. A game we wound up losing by 6! Terrible! Absolutely terrible coaching! THAT is the problem! Greg Schiano has no idea how to coach in 2023

But it wasn’t “just” Brown’s injury - he just happened to be our best, number 1 back at the time of his injury. Before that, we already didn’t have our pre season anticipated starting QB and were without our most experienced returning and best blocking back (Young). Yes, every team deals with injuries, but no, not every team has to get by without their expected starting QB as well as their top 2 backs. That’s just not true.

Reactions: Kbee3
the flaw in this scenario is that Hobbs won’t want to extend after another losing season or three, but he cant afford to fire him early either so there’s no escaping the negative recruiting from a multi-year lame duck coach.

This is why it was moronic to give a long contract which could and will cripple the program. Other schools with deeper pockets can survive early firings. We can’t.

But it wasn’t “just” Brown’s injury - he just happened to be our best, number 1 back at the time of his injury. Before that, we already didn’t have our pre season anticipated starting QB and were without our most experienced returning and best blocking back (Young). Yes, every team deals with injuries, but no, not every team has to get by without their expected starting QB as well as their top 2 backs. That’s just not true.
I've heard so many excuses for Schiano's bad games and bad seasons. At some point a coach wins or he doesn't. Period.

win big and he should ask.
Have a bad season and Hobbs will say : hope your next job pays you that.
Have a competitive team that shows it's going to be a winner, Greg can ask, Hobbs can tell him bring on a bowl game in 2025 and we'll talk.
If Greg has a 4-5 win team I bet he asks for a contract at a lower dollar value with an agreement that it gets renegotiated once he (if he) turns things around.
I've heard so many excuses for Schiano's bad games and bad seasons. At some point a coach wins or he doesn't. Period.

At some point, yes. But we are not close to there yet. We are walking into a season that has 5 near automatic losses on it no matter who the coach is. It would be amazing if the team finds a way to win every other game but one - 6-1) to get to a bowl but that’s a long shot and should not be the minimum standard.

Reactions: rutgersal
If Greg has a 4-5 win team I bet he asks for a contract at a lower dollar value with an agreement that it gets renegotiated once he (if he) turns things around.

At some point, yes. But we are not close to there yet. We are walking into a season that has 5 near automatic losses on it no matter who the coach is. It would be amazing if the team finds a way to win every other game but one - 6-1) to get to a bowl but that’s a long shot and should not be the minimum standard.
We are not close according to you maybe. The reason 6 to 7 wins seems so hard is because the team has made so little prorgress.

For sure it can work here and weather isn't an issue. It's also less about Air Raid and more about wide open offense that uses tempo. The midwest has weather that's at least as bad as here, if not more so and MAC teams run it. OSU runs an open offense. It's not like it snows every weekend. Colorado's new OC is from the Briles tree and he ran it at Kent State and had a top 5 offense IIRC one of the years in his tenure there. There's also this misconception that the ball is thrown on every down. It's not. Baylor's teams under Briles were often in the top 5-20 in rushing. Riley, Heupel, Dykes, Briles run the ball and have talked about the importance of running it. Longo had 2 1000 yard rushers IIRC somewhere in his career. Leach liked to throw it the most but all the offshoots have their own twists on it. I'd think Harrell is probably the closest to Leach in that respect. Maybe KK as well.

As far as talent, that's one of the good points about using an Air Raid, if you have the right coach it's a little more plug and play and you don't have to get the top recruits in the country. Leach had been doing it all along throughout his career. He wasn't getting top names in the country at QB. I mean just look at Longo at Wisconsin now. Wisconsin was known for its OL and RBs. Longo is hired and boom they get like 4-5 potential qbs between the portal and recruiting. Potential solid contributors will come if you give them reason to with a coach who has a track record of being productive on offense. QBs, among others, are transferring in search of playing time and opportunity.
Coach Leach sums it up. Going to miss his pressers this season.

If Hobbs could see that nothing would ever change with Ash, you have to assume he would have the same judgement with Schiano. If there is no pulse on offense this year, it's time for Greg to go. A lot of pressure on Greg to get the momentum going.

No pressure, not with 4 years left on his contract.

Loser logic. ‘5 automatic losses’ is not an excuse. It’s the damning proof he’s failing.

There shouldn’t be any automatic losses. That may not always be realistic, but 5 is unacceptable.

Vedral was trash and at the beginning of the year greg didn’t even know who the QB was…. Who could ever forget 3 plays, 3 different QB’s to start a season. That’s the kj d of ridiculous 1970’s ‘Run the Ole’ Fumblerooski!’ type of coaching…. It has NO place in this conference. Hell I’m half expecting to see Greg working on 3rd down ‘quick kicks’ with his QB’s to try to ‘catch the opponent off guard’.

This is just sad at this point. A fanbase so desperate for success holding onto their past memories rather than looking at what’s staring them in the face.

Greg is like Sunny from the WWE, used to be a smoke show, now is a cracked out mess…

It's a process.
It’s been a ‘process’ for 8 years now, 3 of them with Greg… gimme a break. UConn loved Randy Edsall too! How all of you can’t see this is a lifeless coach just milking the remaining $16 million because he won’t get it if he resigns is beyond me. This isn’t hard to figure out, it’s not fun as a Rutgers fan, it sucks when you a realistic about it, but that’s the only way we’re going to be competitive in this conference. We have to have the hard conversations

No pressure, not with 4 years left on his contract.

Loser logic. ‘5 automatic losses’ is not an excuse. It’s the damning proof he’s failing.

There shouldn’t be any automatic losses. That may not always be realistic, but 5 is unacceptable.
I am so sick of some fans accepting automatic losses in the 4th year of a rebuild. I will pull another example from a sh!t program like Temple to demonstrate why this argument is utter nonsense. Third year of the Matt Rhule rebuild at Temple they destroyed PSU in their opener 27-10, and it wasn't that close. It wasn't even Franklin's first year, it was his second, so that kills that excuse. That same year they took a top 11 ND team to the very limit before losing late in the 4th quarter. So don't tell me that Schiano can't put a team together in year 4 of a his rebuild that can't beat MSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Maryland, and also play competitive games against PSU, Michigan, and even OSU. Total and complete BS.

If Hobbs could see that nothing would ever change with Ash, you have to assume he would have the same judgement with Schiano. If there is no pulse on offense this year, it's time for Greg to go. A lot of pressure on Greg to get the momentum going.
With Schiano, the defense has significantly improved, and we will see that in the results this year. Offense probably needs two more recruiting classes, though we should see some improvement this year.

We are not close according to you maybe. The reason 6 to 7 wins seems so hard is because the team has made so little prorgress.

Maryland, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Minny, and NW. Our so called conference peers. Following the Covid BS year (21-22) how many wins do any of these teams have on the road against teams that ended the season ranked (i.e. turned out to be ranked teams) or against OSU at home? Add peers in the ACC, SEC, B12 to this list. The count is still going to be very low.

The bottom line is every one of these teams would also be very likely to go 0-5 against the hardest portion of our upcoming schedule (unless some of the teams don’t live up to preseason expectation - that could happen too of course but right now you have to go with current projections for expectations). The reality is any team starting with Vegas odds strongly projecting 5 losses has a very difficult road to a 6 loss season or better. Do you disagree with this math? It means you can only lose one more game out 7 to get to a bowl.

I am so sick of some fans accepting automatic losses in the 4th year of a rebuild. I will pull another example from a sh!t program like Temple to demonstrate why this argument is utter nonsense. Third year of the Matt Rhule rebuild at Temple they destroyed PSU in their opener 27-10, and it wasn't that close. It wasn't even Franklin's first year, it was his second, so that kills that excuse. That same year they took a top 11 ND team to the very limit before losing late in the 4th quarter. So don't tell me that Schiano can't put a team together in year 4 of a his rebuild that can't beat MSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Maryland, and also play competitive games against PSU, Michigan, and even OSU. Total and complete BS.
Don’t forget that Penn State also has an all universe 5* recruit at QB that year (Hackenberg). Per our fans we would never get a recruit like Gavin without Greg and when you get a 4* QB or better that’s supposed to change everything right?….. right?

With Schiano, the defense has significantly improved, and we will see that in the results this year. Offense probably needs two more recruiting classes, though we should see some improvement this year.
We had the 95th ranked scoring defense in the country last year. Only RutgersAl who quite literally pleasures himself to images of Greg would find this acceptable

We had the 95th ranked scoring defense in the country last year. Only RutgersAl who quite literally pleasures himself to images of Greg would find this acceptable

Let’s see what happens this year. I’m optimistic about the defense. I agree with the podcast views of it - that the numbers are mostly a reflection of not being able to keep the offense on the field. You and Shelby are clearly hoping that turns out to be a false narrative, but we probably wont find out one way or the other unless Gavin figures out the short passes or we move on from him. The defense can take major strides even without the offense making a big leap in overall production (with the exception of first downs). Those are key. Even if we’re not explosive, our team would have a ton of potential for improvement just by executing more of those short 3-4 yard pass plays to change up the run and prevent 3 and outs. If Gavin still completes only like 40% of those were screwed IMO regardless. We’ll see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT