ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Schiano would be a strong candidate for the Florida Job

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Supposedly, the University Florida BOT is meeting with the expected result that they will Fire their Head Football Coach. Even if they don’t decide to Fire him today, he’s a dead coach walking, and it’s just a matter of time before they get rid of him. And once that happens, it will be a matter of time before Jimmy Sexton, Schiano’s agent, floats his name for the job.

I am always monitoring the college football landscape for risks to our program, which is why I brought up last September on an NJ.com group podcast that we had to extend Schiano and give him a suitable increase in a question to our best writers. I’m thankful this was done in a timely manner, thx in part to articles that Steve Politi wrote, advocating as such. So Hobbs pushed for the extensión and suitable raise, and got it done. Probably his biggest accomplishment in the last year, before leaving.

And consequently, we’ve gotten commitments from outstanding prospects, and are poised to enjoy one of our best seasons ever.

But unfortunately, success can be a double edged sword, especially when in college football, the haves take from the have nots. Rutgers takes from Temple. Penn State takes from Rutgers. And Ohio State and Michigan takes from Penn State. Greg Schiano’s name will be mentioned for reputable program openings, imo, because he has done a tremendous job in turning our program around. In particular, he has the skillset and name recognition to be successful at Florida.

The University of Florida is a Have. They are a selector school which has won two National Championships within the last 20 years, and another in 1996, which is one I attended, in person at the SuperDome.

They have top notch facilities, strong fan support, strong fan attendance, and most importantly, the financial support to win at the highest level. They even have a jet to shuttle around coaches and recruits.

Financial Support is where we are severely lacking. NIL support isn’t where it needs to be and the Fieldhouse, which was a contractual point, isn’t going to be built anytime soon.

This would put us at a very disadvantageous position, if Schiano were to have the opportunity to choose between Florida and Rutgers. Other risks are we don’t have an athletic director and the status of our President is unclear, to say the least.

Florida fans think they’re getting Urban Meyer or Nick Saban. But if those types of candidates fall through, Greg Schiano would be very attractive to them. He’s making a decent salary at $6M a year, but they could afford to pay him $8M. They’d Give him a huge budget for his coaching staff. The Florida job would also carry risks for Schiano. He’d be expected to win right away, even though that team needs talent. Whereas at Rutgers, he could go 6-6 to 7-5 in perpetuity.

So what’s the point of this rambling soliloquy?
We haven’t done enough to support Greg Schiano.

So, If you have any inclination of supporting NIL, NOW is the time. Schiano has said NIL is his #1 priority.

I’ve given what I can, but am also contemplating doing more. I understand that all of us have our budget priorities and that’s fine. This isn’t curing Cancer and I’ve given my tithe to my Catholic Parish.

But if you want to see Rutgers continue to be successful, if you want to build Rutgers into a selector school, and Championship Contender, you have to do your part. It doesn’t happen on its own. Show me a successful football team, and I’ll show you the supporters who make it happen. The Towers and the Garruti’s have done their part. Now it’s on us.

And if you don’t want to do NIL, Give to the RFund. We have to be proactive and worry about these things now, not wait till he gets another offer. Below are the relevant links.

Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Bombay Softwares

Al, I get that you’re pushing for NIL but your post is a false narrative. Schiano has publicly stated this is his last coaching job (also said it to me personally), he has more than enough money and if anything, he’ll be an AD someday

I wish Fieldhouse Al of La Mancha is correct and he’s offered the job and takes it, but Florida ain’t going after a perennial .333 Big10 conference coach who hasn’t done anything notable in decades.

Al, I get that you’re pushing for NIL but your post is a false narrative. Schiano has publicly stated this is his last coaching job (also said it to me personally), he has more than enough money and if anything, he’ll be an AD someday
So did Rick pitino at Iona ….these guys are politicians. Although , I do think schiano isn’t going anywhere .
No coach is saying “I am here and will upgrade when I can “

Last seasons team had a winning record and beat Miami
ha ha get a clue. As stated .333 in conference. You think that’s good enough for Florida ? If you want to bring up the bowl game, 80 teams make bowls and we barely did at 6-6. Plus, most of Miami’s best players skipped the game. Their QB (4th string) hadn’t played all season. Not one snap. Nobody cares about the Pinstripe except RU fans who have nothing else to congratulate Schiano about. Pinstripe = BFD.

Florida aims higher. We have lower standards and he had no other options. Hobbs didn’t even want him.

Shelby’s “true” somehow ignores Tampa bay Bucs, Tennessee, Michigan, Miami.

If GS was on the market, he’d be a top candidate for virtually every open job.
Genius. Michigan and Miami were phony. Fabricated to milk RU for more $$. Tell me why he didn’t take either job ? Jesus you are gullible. And Tennessee. They realized their huge mistake immediately and essentially fired him before his first day.

And name another NFL coach fired after two years.

And in CFB hiring circles, all that is ancient history anyway. He’s not remotely successful enough now to be a real candidate for a top SEC job. No chance-no how.

Supposedly, the University Florida BOT is meeting with the expected result that they will Fire their Head Football Coach. Even if they don’t decide to Fire him today, he’s a dead coach walking, and it’s just a matter of time before they get rid of him. And once that happens, it will be a matter of time before Jimmy Sexton, Schiano’s agent, floats his name for the job.

I am always monitoring the college football landscape for risks to our program, which is why I brought up last September on an NJ.com group podcast that we had to extend Schiano and give him a suitable increase in a question to our best writers. I’m thankful this was done in a timely manner, thx in part to articles that Steve Politi wrote, advocating as such. So Hobbs pushed for the extensión and suitable raise, and got it done. Probably his biggest accomplishment in the last year, before leaving.

And consequently, we’ve gotten commitments from outstanding prospects, and are poised to enjoy one of our best seasons ever.

But unfortunately, success can be a double edged sword, especially when in college football, the haves take from the have nots. Rutgers takes from Temple. Penn State takes from Rutgers. And Ohio State and Michigan takes from Penn State. Greg Schiano’s name will be mentioned for reputable program openings, imo, because he has done a tremendous job in turning our program around. In particular, he has the skillset and name recognition to be successful at Florida.

The University of Florida is a Have. They are a selector school which has won two National Championships within the last 20 years, and another in 1996, which is one I attended, in person at the SuperDome.

They have top notch facilities, strong fan support, strong fan attendance, and most importantly, the financial support to win at the highest level. They even have a jet to shuttle around coaches and recruits.

Financial Support is where we are severely lacking. NIL support isn’t where it needs to be and the Fieldhouse, which was a contractual point, isn’t going to be built anytime soon.

This would put us at a very disadvantageous position, if Schiano were to have the opportunity to choose between Florida and Rutgers. Other risks are we don’t have an athletic director and the status of our President is unclear, to say the least.

Florida fans think they’re getting Urban Meyer or Nick Saban. But if those types of candidates fall through, Greg Schiano would be very attractive to them. He’s making a decent salary at $6M a year, but they could afford to pay him $8M. They’d Give him a huge budget for his coaching staff. The Florida job would also carry risks for Schiano. He’d be expected to win right away, even though that team needs talent. Whereas at Rutgers, he could go 6-6 to 7-5 in perpetuity.

So what’s the point of this rambling soliloquy?
We haven’t done enough to support Greg Schiano.

So, If you have any inclination of supporting NIL, NOW is the time. Schiano has said NIL is his #1 priority.

I’ve given what I can, but am also contemplating doing more. I understand that all of us have our budget priorities and that’s fine. This isn’t curing Cancer and I’ve given my tithe to my Catholic Parish.

But if you want to see Rutgers continue to be successful, if you want to build Rutgers into a selector school, and Championship Contender, you have to do your part. It doesn’t happen on its own. Show me a successful football team, and I’ll show you the supporters who make it happen. The Towers and the Garruti’s have done their part. Now it’s on us.

And if you don’t want to do NIL, Give to the RFund. We have to be proactive and worry about these things now, not wait till he gets another offer. Below are the relevant links.

They can take Fran Brown

Also this year have hardest schedule in country. Stay at Rutgers. November have Georgia, Texas and Mississippi. Powell , Melton and Johnny did not play for us either.

Last edited:
Genius. Michigan and Miami were phony. Fabricated to milk RU for more $$. Tell me why he didn’t take either job ? Jesus you are gullible. And Tennessee. They realized their huge mistake immediately and essentially fired him before his first day.

And name another NFL coach fired after two years.

And in CFB hiring circles, all that is ancient history anyway. He’s not remotely successful enough now to be a real candidate for a top SEC job. No chance-no how.
"And name another NFL coach fired after two years." - Once again you show your football ignorance. Here's a partial list of those fired in the NFL after even just one year since 2011...

2011-2023​

• Hue Jackson, Las Vegas Raiders, 2011
  • Mike Mularkey, Jacksonville Jaguars, 2012
  • Rob Chudzinkski, Cleveland Browns, 2013
  • Jim Tomsula, San Francisco 49ers, 2015
  • Chip Kelly, San Francisco 49ers, 2016
  • Steve Wilks, Arizona Cardinals, 2018
  • Freddie Kitchens, Cleveland Browns, 2019
  • Urban Meyer, Jacksonville Jaguars, 2021
  • David Culley, Houston Texans, 2021
  • Nathaniel Hackett, Denver Broncos, 2022
  • Lovie Smith, Houston Texans, 2022
  • Frank Reich, Carolina Panthers, 2023

Last edited:
"And name another NFL coach fired after two years." - Once again you show your football ignorance. Here's a list of those fired in the NFL after even just one year since 2011...

2011-2023​

I didn’t look it up, but I think you can add Ben McAdoo, Pat Shurmur, & Joe Judge just from the NY Giants alone.

You don’t trust him when he stated “This is it for me” ?
a coach is loyal to his opportunities. I trust him that he currently believes that to be the case. But he also has to say that because he has to recruit.

But if he were to ever be offered Michigan, Ohio State, Florida, Miami, or similar, all bets are off, imo.

My big concern is that he delivered what he promised, but Rutgers is not in position to fulfill its contractually promised fieldhouse due to lack of support. This has to be very disappointing for him.
He has implied to nj.com that we will need a field house within 5 years.

And I feel very concerned that we will not provide adequate NIL support. Will he get tired of begging boosters for NIL? I sure hope not, but I’m concerned that he will. He didn’t sign up to be a fundraiser, yet here we are.

My big concern is that he delivered what he promised, but Rutgers is not in position to fulfill its contractually promised fieldhouse due to lack of support. This has to be very disappointing for him.
He has implied to nj.com that we will need a field house within 5 years.

And I feel very concerned that we will not provide adequate NIL support. Will he get tired of begging boosters for NIL? I sure hope not, but I’m concerned that he will. He didn’t sign up to be a fundraiser, yet here we are.

Per Al - "He (Schiano) didn’t sign up to be a fundraiser, yet here we are." Wrong Al, Greg contractually agreed to help raise 50% of the anticipted cost of the fieldhouse before the project went forward. Beyond that, its been a given almost forever that the headcoach indeed play a role as a fundraiser and solicit donations from boosters. Not sure why you would think otherwise.

"And name another NFL coach fired after two years." - Once again you show your football ignorance. Here's a partial list of those fired in the NFL after even just one year since 2011...

2011-2023​

Ok, and Shelby never even heard of jim Tomsula. He suspects you googled that list. Be that as it may, you proved my point. Have any of them gotten HC jobs since ? Sure, Urban could get a plum college job if he wanted to but his success dwarfs what Schiano ever accomplished.

Using his TB stint and other jobs he never even had as proof of hiring interest, which is exactly your point, may be the most ridiculous argument ever posted on this site, even more ridiculous than Wimsatt belonging in the RU Hall of Fame.

Let me start by saying that I believe that Greg is an excellent football coach and program builder. That being said, we have to remember what happened at Tennessee. Those SEC schools have crazy expectations and believe that Nick Saban or Urban Meyer may come out of retirement and coach for them. The alums are apparently ready to raise the $26 million to can their head coach. That alone shows how crazy the expectations are. The previous coach led the Gators to three New Years Day bowls, winning them all, and they STILL fired him. Unless you want to go there to cash out at the end of your career, why would ANYBODY want to coach at one of those schools. With the transfer portal and NIL, the days of having teams that can just buy their way to success is over. Look at Memphis, Northern Iowa, and even Boston College now. Heck, even we beat Miami in a bowl game. Times have changed, fan expectations are unrealistic, and the higher you go, the greater your chance of getting axed. I think if Greg can get the field house in the next few years, and keep us going to bowl games every year why the heck would he ever want to leave Rutgers?

Scarlet Jerry

Ok, and Shelby never even heard of jim Tomsula. He suspects you googled that list. Be that as it may, you proved my point. Have any of them gotten HC jobs since ? Sure, Urban could get a plum college job if he wanted to but his success dwarfs what Schiano ever accomplished.

Using his TB stint and other jobs he never even had as proof of hiring interest, which is exactly your point, may be the most ridiculous argument ever posted on this site, even more ridiculous than Wimsatt belonging in the RU Hall of Fame.
LOL - you couldn't have been more wrong. Pleae remind us who relentlessly stated that Schiano would never name a starter ahead of Wimsatt? See if you can get that right?

Reactions: TRU2RU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT