ADVERTISEMENT

Guards- going forward!

bowlgoal

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2004
We have a very fast Jacob young. Sometimes out of control but really the only one of our guards who can blow by a defender; get to hoop and execute.

Pikiell has chosen to recruit big guards, Geo and McConnell and that can be a huge advantage; but doesn’t always translate to success. Both are shooters but not amazing ball handlers with speed. Paul is clearly not fast to the hoop. Great vision; but not a blow by player. Mathis can be fast but he doesn’t finish and he gets out of control. He’s been very off lately. Ron Harper can drive but he turns over the ball a lot when he tries to navigate through traffic.

We can bring in big guys, but I’d like to see speed and finishers who can get by defenders and execute. We can’t just have one Jacob young type player. We need 3 plus of these type of players; whether it be guards or small forwards.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
I actually like the tall guards IF we’re going to follow the formula from prior years. This year it feels like we’ve tried to rely on offense too often which just doesn’t work with our players. But, if we play menacing defense, slow the game down and rebound as our focal points, the height is invaluable.

Even with that formula though, we do need at least one really quick guard.
Two or three.

We need guards who can shoot. We need anyones who can shoot.
Absolutely. We need either guards or small forwards that can shoot lights out. That will open up lanes and help everyone out. I hope like hell he is looking at the portal or other options because the HS ranks are not panning out for that type of player. Big miss not bringing in that type of a player for this year.

Usually the really fast guys are smaller and get backed down or shot over.
Cannot have multiple smaller players.

One of Rutgers issues this year is not having a big 4,
both for defense and rebounding. That is why it is so critical for maximum effort from everyone on the floor to rebound. This applies especially to Harper who has his best games when he gets in the paint. Both on O and on D. Wish he would attack the basket before he ever puts up a three.

Reactions: patk89
I feel fairly comfortable that Jaden Jones is a unique player who does not have to be blazing fast in order to be effective,, but can shoot and score from distance. Miller should likely compliment him as a player who can catch and shoot, if Jaden Jones is partly the player who has the ball and needs to create with under 10 seconds on the shot clock.

This is really why the whole "offense " thing makes no sense....25 years or so ago, there was a 45 second shot clock, then it got cut to 40 seconds and people complained the pace of the game was still too slow.

Then the shot clock went to 30 seconds. If you are not pushing the ball up the court, full speed once a team scores or you rebound, the guards either have to be fast enough to keep pushing the tempo and score at tbe basket OR that guard has to be able to defend on defense and shoot over defenders when on offense.

The whole shooting or get guards who can shoot complaint is almost on 95% of fan message boards. It really isnt about shooting, it is about playmaking.

Most of the NCAA teams have guards who are not pure shooters, the better guards make improvised shots. If there is a prototype B1G guard that we have played against this year or last year who is strictly a shooter, I would guess they probably don't do other things well and are solely reliant on another guard to set them up to score. The better guards in the B1G are typically 6'3 to 6'5, able to dribble, pass, shoot and create offense off the dribble. I feel pretty certain that Miller and Jones will develop into that type of guard, but another playmaker in 2022 that has size and creativity on offense and can defend, is more important IMO.

Reactions: satnom
I actually like the tall guards IF we’re going to follow the formula from prior years. This year it feels like we’ve tried to rely on offense too often which just doesn’t work with our players. But, if we play menacing defense, slow the game down and rebound as our focal points, the height is invaluable.

Even with that formula though, we do need at least one really quick guard.
Enough with slow the game down. I'd like to see uptempo. Get out in transition.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Darius was very quick but never scored nearly as many points as Jacob does. He only averaged 4.2 ppg over 113 games.

Find a shooter who can hit a tre with regularity and make the defense defend that will open up under the net for our big men.

The fact that we can use a three point shooter doesn’t preclude the need for a quick guard, in the presumed absence of JY. For that reason, I think Jalen gets decent minutes. He’ll need to have a decent handle and be a JY-lite defender. If he can shoot all the better.

If we can't pressure primary ballhandler, opponents will be very comfortable in setting up their half court offense. (No, I don't think MM can do this.)

Last edited:
Bowlgoal, hope it is not true, but sounds like Armstrong is going to the Pennsylvania Nova.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT