ADVERTISEMENT

Hawks fans

RUich

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
Their rivals board has two pages of predictions and most of them are to lose. Those that are looking for a win seem to hang it on the team being really pissed off and coming out on fire.

Rutgers had two senior teams that blew NCAA Tournie chances by going into the tank the last few games. One was the Geoff Billett Rob Hodgson team and the other was Herve, Kent team with Jerome Coleman. A lock on valentines Day and NIT by March 7. You just don’t know whether they are fired up or just say enough is enough and throw in the towel.I think tomorrow could b a war.

Iowa has a tough remaining Schedule including Rutgers, Wisconsin twice, Ohio State and Michigan.
Plus MSU and PSU.

Last edited:
I really believe most fans don’t understand how players look at games. Your team is down 10 with 3 left at home and you see a stream of fans leaving because they believe the game is over. As a player you hear your coach tell you to trap at midcourt, create a turnover, score and then go 94/40 press. No threes unless your open and drive, drive, drive to get fouled and we will steal this one. Sometimes you do, sometimes you just leave it on the court with your heart in your stomach when you hit the locker. The ebb and flow of games is hard to understand For fans and even for players. You have to blow with the wind sometimes. Sometimes you take your foot off the pedal too soon. I remember a James Bailey team with big half time leads losing twice to inferior opponents because of a failure to change the game plan Once and taking your foot off the pedal the other time. It happens and so do upsets.

Last edited:
I tried to post SweetPea prediction on their board but said I do not have privileges to do so...hhhmmmm

They are not happy over there. LOL. I don't blame them. They have a good team that plays no defense and Fran is consistently making terrible decisions.

Rutgers had two senior teams that blew NCAA Tournie chances by going into the tank the last few games. One was the Geoff Billett Rob Hodgson team and the other was Herve, Kent team with Jerome Coleman. A lock on valentines Day and NIT by March 7. You just don’t know whether they are fired up or just say enough is enough and throw in the towel.I think tomorrow could b a war.
Damn that Hodgson turnover... 🥺

Reactions: BillyC80
They have a history of starting out strong and finishing weekly under McCaffrey. It's more pronounced this year because they started the season #3 in the country and now are in danger of not finishing top 4 in the league. So the feeling is it's time to move on from McCaffrey.

I think the overall lesson is trying to equate how much does style and experience equate to going up in the standings over coaching and talent.

There is no question that if you look at it, player for player, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Maryland and Indiana "out-recruit", the rest of the B1G, year in and year out.

I think there was an assumption that because schools like Wisconsin and Purdue do more and win more, when their teams become juniors and seniors, that Iowa would immediately elevate to that status. The difference as stated on their board and even the BTN commentators emphasize that Iowa needs to be better defensively.

I don't know if Iowa has recruited one player (maybe guard Joe Toussaint), who can actually consistently defend. The roster and staff are 100% geared to recruit to fit their system of passing, cutting, shooting on offense. It is very difficult to not recruit 1 player who is a "plus defensive player" & ask the team to be better on defense.

Iowa is going to go as far as their offense and shooters go. One thing that (I think) will help them in the NCAAS, is that the B1G is much more focused on defense and more aware of how to prepare for their offense and a team outside of the B1G is not.

As far as Iowa is concerned and tonight or rest of the season, I just don't think player for player, even with Garza as a POY candidate, that they're more talented than Michigan, Ohio State year in and year out. Doesn't mean that a matchup won't be favorable or not if and when they get to play Michigan or OSU again, but I don't know what else Fran can do......he is an offensive mastermind....

In the old NFL, the San Diego Chargers were "Air Coryell", with Dan Fouts, Charlie Joiner, Wes Chandler, John Jefferson, Kellen Winslow Sr etc.....they would score or throw 45 to 50X a game.....but in crunch time, they couldn't always run the ball or play defense......

In the NBA, Mike DAntoni is an offensive mastermind, but has no NBA rings despite great offensive players like Steve Nash, Amari Stoudemire etc......in Houston with Harden, Westbrook, Chris Paul.....no rings.....now DAntoni is on the Brooklyn Nets and helping Steve Nash and guess who plays the absolute worst defense in the NBA....yep, the Brooklyn Nets....

I don't know if the coaching is finalized for Fran and Iowa, if they hit shots, Fran is a great coach...can they win if they don't hit shots consistently?? Time will tell.....

Last edited:
I think the overall lesson is trying to equate how much does style and experience equate to going up in the standings over coaching and talent.

There is no question that if you look at it, player for player, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Maryland and Indiana "out-recruit", the rest of the B1G, year in and year out.

I think there was an assumption that because schools like Wisconsin and Purdue do more and win more, when their teams become juniors and seniors, that Iowa would immediately elevate to that status. The difference as stated on their board and even the BTN commentators emphasize that Iowa needs to be better defensively.

I don't know if Iowa has recruited one player (maybe guard Joe Toussaint), who can actually consistently defend. The roster and staff are 100% geared to recruit to fit their system of passing, cutting, shooting on offense. It is very difficult to not recruit 1 player who is a "plus defensive player" & ask the team to be better on defense.

Iowa is going to go as far as their offense and shooters go. One thing that (I think) will help them in the NCAAS, is that the B1G is much more focused on defense and more aware of how to prepare for their offense and a team outside of the B1G is not.

As far as Iowa is concerned and tonight or rest of the season, I just don't think player for player, even with Garza as a POY candidate, that they're more talented than Michigan, Ohio State year in and year out. Doesn't mean that a matchup won't be favorable or not if and when they get to play Michigan or OSU again, but I don't know what else Fran can do......he is an offensive mastermind....

In the old NFL, the San Diego Chargers were "Air Coryell", with Dan Fouts, Charlie Joiner, Wes Chandler, John Jefferson, Kellen Winslow Sr etc.....they would score or throw 45 to 50X a game.....but in crunch time, they couldn't always run the ball or play defense......

In the NBA, Mike DAntoni is an offensive mastermind, but has no NBA rings despite great offensive players like Steve Nash, Amari Stoudemire etc......in Houston with Harden, Westbrook, Chris Paul.....no rings.....now DAntoni is on the Brooklyn Nets and helping Steve Nash and guess who plays the absolute worst defense in the NBA....yep, the Brooklyn Nets....

I don't know if the coaching is finalized for Fran and Iowa, if they hit shots, Fran is a great coach...can they win if they don't hit shots consistently?? Time will tell.....
As a lifelong Chargers fan those 80’s teams were fun to watch but frustrating at the same time because of their awful defense.

The Hawkeye fan generally have positive impressions of Pike. Nice to have a coach respected by opponents.

They mostly predicted a loss for the first game too. Hopefully they are more accurate now.

As a lifelong Chargers fan those 80’s teams were fun to watch but frustrating at the same time because of their awful defense.
My soul mate. 😃 Ah, those Air Coryell days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT