ADVERTISEMENT

Hayden Rettig

red sail

All Conference
Oct 11, 2007
Bobby - Nice write up on Rettig. I wish this kid all the best to succeed here at RU. Flood really had no clue how to manage his personnel and this kid never got a shot. And no I don't consider getting to start in the cupcake game his shot.

I agree, wanted to see him out there to start a 3rd quarter several games, let the chips fall where they may.

Bobby - Nice write up on Rettig. I wish this kid all the best to succeed here at RU. Flood really had no clue how to manage his personnel and this kid never got a shot. And no I don't consider getting to start in the cupcake game his shot.
Flood was an awful coach. If Tom Brady suddenly appeared at RU with an extra year of eligibility, Flood would have still started Laviano. He's that narrow-minded.

Flood's handling of QBS was, in part, an attempt to seperate himself from Schiano. Its also the reason why every OC left him every year.

And what will you say if Ash doesn't start Rettig?

Get tired of seeing stuff like this. I think most rational people here trust the coach to start whoever gives us the best chance to win, based on their performance in practice and in games. It's a new year and a new coaching staff, so if Laviano wins the job, that's great. Means he's probably progressed from last year.
As for last year, most of us just wanted to see what Rettig could do if he got an extended look. And please, Kyle Sr. (Slyker), if you are lurking, I don't GAF about your drive summaries at the end of blowouts. I'm talking about meaningful playing time to try something different in those games where Laviano obviously wasn't getting it done.

Well they didn't play Rettig much 'cause they didn't have all that many timeouts!

Reactions: brodo
Looking at the videos from today with Gio and Laviano, and adding in the comments from Rettig, and from the general knowledge of each personality from last season, it seems pretty obvious to me that Laviano is the most closed minded and least enthusiastic about the new offense of the three. He also seems a f*ckin douschebag and in need of an attitude adjustment. Id give 2:1 odds that Laviano is NOT the starter next season.

Reactions: Bamm Bamm Rubble
Looking at the videos from today with Gio and Laviano, and adding in the comments from Rettig, and from the general knowledge of each personality from last season, it seems pretty obvious to me that Laviano is the most closed minded and least enthusiastic about the new offense of the three. He also seems a f*ckin douschebag and in need of an attitude adjustment. Id give 2:1 odds that Laviano is NOT the starter next season.
?
Where do you get this from? Seems you have an axe to grind.

Time for bets, folks. I think Rettig won't sniff the starting lineup this season. It'll be Lav and Gio swapping places in the two deep. Let's put 100 bucks on the line, payable to the B1G Build Fund. Purely honor system. If HR starts a game by season's end, I'll donate to the fund. Who wants to take the bet?

Reactions: vkj91
Time for bets, folks. I think Rettig won't sniff the starting lineup this season. It'll be Lav and Gio swapping places in the two deep. Let's put 100 bucks on the line, payable to the B1G Build Fund. Purely honor system. If HR starts a game by season's end, I'll donate to the fund. Who wants to take the bet?

Sure. I'll take that bet. Ash is NOT Flood. If a player is not getting it done or if the match up does not fit, I would think Ash learned from Urban Meyer that you start a different player.

Reactions: knightsru
All anyone wanted to see was Rettig getting an equal opportunity in a game to see what he could do. At least during the games, he was never given that shot. He played well enough w/o Carroo in the first game and that was the last we saw of him.
We have seen with Michigan where a coaching change can make a big difference w/ the same talent. I'm not comparing our talent level with Michigan or Ash to their coach, just saying coaching can make a big difference in football and Flood clearly was in over his head.

I bet all three play at some point during the year.
Whoa...not play all three. I wouldn't be surprised to see all three play. I just don't think Rettig has what it takes to start. And it's not to say I think Lav is good or anything.

Well, I was one of those people pulling for Rettig last year because I thought he was the better QB.

Even if the Rettig discreditors or Laviano supporters or the coach knows what's best crowd were right and Laviano was clearly the best option last year, it would have been nice to give Rettig a chance when Laviano was struggling. Was Rettig ever on the field with Carroo? The kid just did not get enough meaningful reps. A guy like Ash would have gotten the kid more action last year.

Ultimately I want the best QB to play for RU. The thing is, Rettig never got a chance, and Laviano is a Flood remnant in my mind. "Get a different team to root for"? Screw you Laviano. Take your arm waving act to Wagner. This guy is really the only RU player I have disliked ever.
And I am convinced that his arm is minor league compared with Rettig's.

I agree with most people here that Laviano played poorly enough to get pulled and give some else a chance. In the first game last year Rettig threw a pass to I think Grant down the middle of the field. The entire crowd gasped when he threw it. It was a big boy throw. Strong and in stride. Based on the only half of football Rettig played he deserved more playing time.

i have no issue with Laviano and pin all of the blame on Flood. part of the issue was leading up to the season Flood said both that QBs were close to each other. If that was the case both should have had playing time.

Flood's handling of QBS was, in part, an attempt to seperate himself from Schiano. Its also the reason why every OC left him every year.

100% correct imho.

Just because GS was likely wrong to play QB roulette.. especially with all the wildcat BS.. doesn't mean that you need to go 100% the other way no matter what. I also wonder if a desire to please Dom Bosco Prep by keeping Nova at QB in hopes of getting their best one day was behind this as well.

Reactions: lighty
Well they didn't play Rettig much 'cause they didn't have all that many timeouts!

There are plenty of valid reasons you could list and this is not one of them. We looked dysfunctional coming out of the huddle no matter who was behind center. We burned plenty of timeouts with laviano as well. My guess would be that it had more to do with an overmatched coaching staff.

That said, I think the belief that there was a conspiracy theory is more than overblown. I have no doubt that the staff was sure that laviano gave the team the best shot to win and that's why he played. Should he have switched things up when we were struggling so bad? Probably, but Flood has already paid for his mistakes and now it's best we all look at this from a fresh slate.

without getting into a tedious rehash, KF set himself and Laviano up for criticism, Laviano breaks team rules should have been benched for the entire Norfolk game, giving Rettig a real shot, and then let the QB's battle it out, it should have been Rettig's job to lose, after all he didn't break team rules or do anything wrong. Another case of KF not looking at the whole situation and making a decision in the best interest of the program (and quite frankly himself)

Even if the Rettig discreditors or Laviano supporters or the coach knows what's best crowd were right and Laviano was clearly the best option last year, it would have been nice to give Rettig a chance when Laviano was struggling. Was Rettig ever on the field with Carroo? The kid just did not get enough meaningful reps. A guy like Ash would have gotten the kid more action last year.

Not just nice - it would have been what was BEST for the team. Whether or not someone believe Laviano should have been the starter, it's hard to argue that SOMEONE else should have found their way on to the field during the season. Laviano had periods in which he struggled far more than any QB should without being relieved.

I found it interesting in a recent article that the OC mentioned how someone acts "off the field" will play a role in their decision as well because they feel off the field shows leadership as well. I wonder if that was a subtle knock on Laviano for the problem at the beginning of last season and the online posts at the end?

All I want is to believe the coach has chosen who he thinks is best AND isn't afraid to give others a chance if the starter is struggling. We didn't have that last year...

Reactions: coldsprings
I bet all three play at some point during the year.

I think it could happen. Just by virtue of the physical pounding this offense can have on quarterbacks. I don't want to see anyone get hurt, but defenders might get more shots at the QB than they would in the pro set.

100% correct imho.

Just because GS was likely wrong to play QB roulette.. especially with all the wildcat BS.. doesn't mean that you need to go 100% the other way no matter what. I also wonder if a desire to please Dom Bosco Prep by keeping Nova at QB in hopes of getting their best one day was behind this as well.

Don't even get me started on Flood and Nova. We went down to the Russell Athletic Bowl down in Orlando against VT. When your QB throws 6 picks and you don't change up QBs, it was clear Flood had no clue. Common sense tells you to try something different.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Sure. I'll take that bet. Ash is NOT Flood. If a player is not getting it done or if the match up does not fit, I would think Ash learned from Urban Meyer that you start a different player.
The same urban Meyer who almost lost to PSU because he refused to put Jones in despite his starter barely being able to walk? It took a broken leg for the world to ever here the name 12 gauge.

Maybe not a douche bag, but he gives you the feeling that what he thinks about the media and fan base hasn't changed from last season.Hard kid so far, to root for.

Ummmm

You do realize that Caroo was suspended for the 1st half of game one.

Rettig played in the 1st half of game one.

So can you explain how Rettig played well enough with Caroo in the first game when they weren't on the
field at the same time?
W/o means without. And it's Carroo not Caroo.

And what will you say if Ash doesn't start Rettig?

It's not about who Flood "started," Spank, I think you know that buddy.

Lav's responses to his actions on the field (imploring the crowd to "boo" louder) and on twitter last year - right, wrong, indifferent - leave me thinking he's got a bit of an attitude problem as well, BUT, kids do a lot of growing up in college so hopefully that changes by September.

Nice job of being a douche.

I'm well aware of how his name is spelled..have you never made a typo?

I said "with" because the post I was responding too was factually incorrect

Hell of a job of addressing that then being a wise ass
So many on here love to "correct" posters. It is very annoying to say the least. Glad you bitch slapped him.

Reactions: lighty
So many on here love to "correct" posters. It is very annoying to say the least. Glad you bitch slapped him.
Bitch slapped? Lol. Not at all. The post he responded to was factually correct. Rettig played well enough in the first game w/o (without) Carroo. That is factually correct.

Bitch slapped? Lol. Not at all. The post he responded to was factually correct. Rettig played well enough in the first game w/o (without) Carroo. That is factually correct.
But the post said he played WITH Carroo.....I pointed out that was incorrect.

But you chose to focus on a meaningless typo

All anyone wanted to see was Rettig getting an equal opportunity in a game to see what he could do. At least during the games, he was never given that shot. He played well enough w/o Carroo in the first game and that was the last we saw of him.
We have seen with Michigan where a coaching change can make a big difference w/ the same talent. I'm not comparing our talent level with Michigan or Ash to their coach, just saying coaching can make a big difference in football and Flood clearly was in over his head.
This is the post in question. He played well enough w/o Carroo. The w/o means without.

Wow, a young kid makes a small mistake, and some of you crucify him for life. AreYouNuts said it best. Kids grow. Move on. He may be the starting QB this year, and then again, he many not. Either way, lighten up. Hope some of you are easier with your own kids when they make a mistake, or do you hold every minor mistake against them for life?

Wow, a young kid makes a small mistake, and some of you crucify him for life. AreYouNuts said it best. Kids grow. Move on. He may be the starting QB this year, and then again, he many not. Either way, lighten up. Hope some of you are easier with your own kids when they make a mistake, or do you hold every minor mistake against them for life?

People have seen what Laviano can do and they are clamoring for change, which is why everything he says and does is under a microscope. Fans just don't want him to be the starter anymore. That's the bottom line.

In a recent nj.com poll, with 2K respondents, 54% of responders want Rettig to start. 18.5% want Gio to start. A mere 13.6% want Laviano to start.

If Laviano gets the opportunity, he better perform, otherwise people are going to hammer him for every little thing that goes amiss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT