ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Hayn promoted to full time assistant

Guess Steve got tired of waiting for Rick Pitino to make up his mind and went with another ex HC to be his third assistant.
I understand Juwann Howard was lobbing for the job, but Pike told him to go back to Michigan.

Face it folks, Hayn is a good hire at the third assistant spot.

Don't know about anyone else , but I questioned the Jay Young hire , thinking Pike could have done better but went with someone he knew
instead of taking the best candidate.
I believe I was mistaken about that and after seeing Steve Hayn's resume with the lower level HC experience he has, no qualms about this hire for me.

Last edited:
There is another thought. Clearly Hayn wil be paid less than any of the preferred (on this board) candidates. If there is an upcoming possibility/probability of a vacancy of which Pikell is aware, perhaps he wants to save dollars here to be able to offer someone more than the existing assistants receive.

Guess Steve got tired of waiting for Rick Pitino to make up his mind and went with another ex HC to be his third assistant.
I understand Juwann Howard was lobbing for the job, but Pike told him to go back to Michigan.

Face it folks, Hayn is a good hire at the third assistant spot.

Don't know about anyone else , but I questioned the Jay Young hire , thinking Pike could have done better but went with someone he knew
instead of taking the best candidate.
I believe I was mistaken about that and after seeing Steve Hayn's resume with the lower leven HC experience he has, no qualms about this hire for me.

Yes, Jay Young was so under-rated. Third assistant in pay only.

He was the guy behind the defensive scheme that put Rutgers on the national map as a hard-nosed defensive team.

Last edited:
I've already softened the blow in other posts over the last couple of weeks that led us to this point. It is not my choice and I believe the candidates that I know of (3) specifically, all would have done well here as well.

There is something called "doubt", and there is something else called motivation.

Doubt creeps in when the most popular name isn't the choice, whether it's recruiting or in this search. And that's more than fair...Hayn has not been on the road or a known recruiting guy with that reputation but neither was Jay Young.....it clearly was not his strength, so promoting Hayn brings no downside.

Motivation comes into play in that, he's unproven at this level BUT knows Pike the longest, even moreso than Jay Young. And he might be the 3rd assistant that helps Knight and Hobbs find another player or two.

At the end of this "saga", being familiar with every player and system outweighs perhaps the other factors of starting over with someone else. I don't think it's a bad hire, I would deem it "curious".

We can judge whether this and a lot of other things in the next 2 to 3 years. I know fans want the quick fix, but the next 2 classes will be more on the entire plates of Pike, Knight and Hobbs....they're the 3 coaches that earned the titles and categories and it's their efforts that will make RU take the next steps forward.

Hayn leading and landing his 1st recruit would match Jay Young in his tenure here. Let's see what happens before we shoot first and aim second.

Obviously Pikes want someone he has a history with. I trust Pikes is making the right decision. Hawk, I do think you’re off base with Young’s recruiting ability. CJ Getty, Myles Johnson, Paul Mulchay and Yeboah (who he recruited at SB and sealed the deal to get him at RU) isn’t just one recruit. Hawk, I hope Hayn does well for us, but there is no way to sugarcoat he has some enormous shoes to fill in all what Young brought to the table with game prep & recruiting

Wow. As Uncle Rodney used to say — tough crowd. Tough crowd. Laughable that people’s u-trou are bunched over a third assistant hired by a coach who’s actually turning a program around at RU instead of making excuses about why it can’t be done at RU.

I'll second the nice guy comment, no clue on his coaching skills but remember my infamous thread when Pike unexpectedly treated my son and I as his guests at that preseason practice? Guess who came over to us and chatted with us for several minutes, making us nobodys feel like VIP fans?!?! You guessed it. Steve Hayn. Seemed like a REALLY good guy folks. Just sayin'.

I have spoken with Coach Hayn several times and he's a damn nice guy. Know this doesn't translate to coaching ability but he has been with Pikiell for many years and I'll trust Pike's judgment all the time. There's much to be said about loyalty; dedication and paying your dues.

For the Doubters: The entire team knows and has worked with Coach Hayn. Do you think for 1 nanosecond that Pike would hire someone that the team doesn't respect and or like and/or responds to.

Question: How does promoting Coach Hayn impact Shoes Vetrone?

Last edited:
Reactions: RUHouston
you can check off the names--same malcontents/all is wrong crowd--they have no purpose other than to find fault--imagine anyone choosing them to be in your foxhole--therefore ignore what they say it's worthless

Reactions: dkostus and Rhuarc
I have spoken to Steve Hayn quite a few times. He is a very nice guy and I know Steve Pikiell trusts him a lot. I believe in Steve Pikiell and I think he considered every angle of the selection and felt most comfortable with Steve Hayn. As for Proud NJ Sports Fan, he is a SHU fan so he is just stirring the pot. I watched a couple practices before attending a baseball game and Hayn is respected by our players. I think he paid his dues over the last few years. I am happy for him.I know well how difficult it is moving up a ladder to gain a position that you have been hoping for. Many of us have had disappointments along the way to getting a job we really wanted. When we finally make it we work harder to show we deserved to be the choice. I am happy for Steve.

I did more with my rutgers degree than most. What I did has no effect on this man's weak basketball resume though compared to what we lost in young.

5 months before the season starts and you are putting in a "Strong Ass Bid" for a bunch of people to put you on ignore. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
I did more with my rutgers degree than most. What I did has no effect on this man's weak basketball resume though compared to what we lost in young.

Most posting on this thread haven't taken the time to read his actual resume

They are insecure when anyone questions something and doesn't drink the kool-aid.

Bunch of crybabies

This happens all the time in life. I once lost out to another candidate for a great role at a great company and when I asked the hiring manager why, she honestly said, “I’m sure you would’ve crushed the role, but I just worked more closely in the past with the other candidate.”

To start with - I have zero opinion on this hire good or bad.

My only comment is regarding the (very very common) situation you described - which I'm also seeing happen first hand to others at work.

The notion of "oh well I've known/worked with this person forever" isn't always a good thing.
The downside is that you don't let new voices or ideas into your corporation.
Stagnation becomes a concern.

So yes it happens all the time, but doesn't mean it's always a good decision.

Is this a hire that any other Big Ten program would have made?

I think most other Big Ten schools would flip out if they hired a guy with as little D1 experience as Hayn if he had no other obvious compelling reason (like Juwan Howard has no D1 experience, but the NBA connections are huge).

Here's an Iowa thread on their assistant hire. Similar to Hayn in a lot of ways.... This guy has know McCaffrey forever and was most recently a D2 coach. Only difference is that Taylor actually has 11 years of D1 head coaching experience and another 4 years as a D1 assistant.

But it's a lot of the same reaction as here... some people unimpressed with his resume, others saying it's a good hire (based on what, I cannot tell you)

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/billy-taylor-named-new-assistant-basketball-coach.273740/

I think most other Big Ten schools would flip out if they hired a guy with as little D1 experience as Hayn if he had no other obvious compelling reason (like Juwan Howard has no D1 experience, but the NBA connections are huge).

Here's an Iowa thread on their assistant hire. Similar to Hayn in a lot of ways.... This guy has know McCaffrey forever and was most recently a D2 coach. Only difference is that Taylor actually has 11 years of D1 head coaching experience and another 4 years as a D1 assistant.

But it's a lot of the same reaction as here... some people unimpressed with his resume, others saying it's a good hire (based on what, I cannot tell you)

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/billy-taylor-named-new-assistant-basketball-coach.273740/

Bottom line.....you have ZERO understanding about the level of basketball knowledge that Hayn possesses. Knowledge is knowledge. It does not matter if it was gained at D2 or D1. The game is the same....just better players at D1 and a coach does not need to know anything different to coach with or against better players.

Pikiell has a multi-million dollar per year job. He is not going to risk that by hiring a friend unless he was 100% sure he could get the job done.

Last edited:
Bottom line.....you have ZERO understanding about the level of basketball knowledge that Hayn possesses. Knowledge is knowledge. It does not matter if it was gained at D2 or D1. The game is the same....just better players at D1 and a coach does not need to know anything different to coach for or against better players.

That's true to an extent. But I can compare resumes and Hayn's is weaker than that of what other schools are hiring. Doesn't guarantee anything but it's like drafting a 1st rounder vs. a 2nd rounder. You want to put the odds in your favor.

Bottom line.....you have ZERO understanding about the level of basketball knowledge that Hayn possesses. Knowledge is knowledge. It does not matter if it was gained at D2 or D1. The game is the same....just better players at D1 and a coach does not need to know anything different to coach with or against better players.

Pikiell has a multi-million dollar per year job. He is not going to risk that by hiring a friend unless he was 100% sure he could get the job done.
This 100%. No one knows what Pike is looking for. I believe he was looking for an x/o guy because he likes his recruiting staff.

Proving my point
1200px-Seton_Hall_Pirates_logo.svg.png

Reactions: ru66
could be true or could be false.
One can claim just about anything posting on boards like this, with a made up name designed to hide the poster's true identity.

That said: I'm sure there are some very successful people posting on this board.
I'll also speculate that there are some not so successful people posting on this board that try to imply they are very successful when they are not.

Whichever one you are doesn't concern most , if not all, TKR members, it's what you post that counts.
So there's no need to make any type of claim that can't be proven, unless you're willing to post a financial disclosure with your real name so it can be checked for accuracy.

That said, this describes me:
coach+hat.jpg

[roll]

Reactions: Scarlet83
Most posting on this thread haven't taken the time to read his actual resume

They are insecure when anyone questions something and doesn't drink the kool-aid.

Bunch of crybabies
By crybaby, do you mean like someone complaining about everything the coach does? You're the biggest whiner here. And a Hall fan to boot. I've never used the ignore function, but good lord you suck.

Anyone ever see Jeff Van Gundy’s resume before he was a Rutgers assistant? It wasn’t overly impressive. He turned into a heck of a coach. Some of you just love being miserable and chalking it up to “question it all” even though it’s clear that you are disparaging all. I doubt most of you types in this category are as successful as you think you are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT