ADVERTISEMENT

Help: Who are our friends or foes in the legislature?

RUJohnny

All Conference
Gold Member
Oct 28, 2005
I was inspired by the thread calling out lurkers, and I've got a small research project that I am working on for some friends.

Can you tell me who you feel are our allies/adversaries in the assembly and senate, as well as current/past governors, and party leaders/financiers? I consider an adversary of Rutgers to be someone who challenges its autonomy, meddles in its governance and innerworkings without being invited, and of course lobbies or votes to reduce funding/resources. A few seem obvious to me:

Foes:
Steve Sweeney/George Norcross- attempted to annex Rutgers Camden to Rowan, and divert higher ed resources away from Rutgers in the process. Once that failed, Sweeney pressured the Rutgers Board of Trustees to reduce its size and threatened to attempt to dissolve it, and thirdly, attempted to increase the number of political appointees to the Board of Governors.

Vinny Prieto- sponsored the Assembly equivalent of the bill to expand the BOG with political appointees.

Patrick Diegnan- Introduced a bill in 2016 requiring two full time students to be elected to the Rutgers BOG.

Friends::
Ray Lesniak- Wrote and championed a bill that gave $25M in tax credits for upgrades to athletic facilities at Rutgers.
Tom Kean, Jr & Robert Singer- opposed Sweeney's legislation to expand the BOG in committee.

I am not sure where Christie should be listed. The appropriations to Rutgers has increased in the last few years, but that is probably more so because of the medical school additions, and the state dollars that are usually apprpriated for them.

Any help is appreciated.

The funny thing is many times folks can be on both sides depending on the issue or times.

For example you are right Diegnan has been intrusive with some ideas, that thankfully did not go any place. But he was also co-sponsor of the recent tax credit bill in the assemble along with someone I think you need to put on the generally friendly side of the equation, John Wisniewski, an alum. The fact that they both court building trades union support doesn't hurt in this case.

Though Dick Codey is a Seton Hall hoopster at heart he was instrumental in helping Mulcahy get money for athletics some years ago, and a genuine sports fan. Often at the RAC. Frequently went to RU football games as Governor, something folks like Whitman and McGreevey rarely did.

Both Wis & Codey are very much anti-Norcross/Camden machine which has generally aligned with RU interests in rejecting the Rowan takeover of Camden.

I think Christie comes off much better than a McGreevey. McG had a grandiose plan to restructure UMDNJ and RU to align with the dominant political machines that made UMDNJ the patronage pit it was. Christie's plan was not perfect but better for higher ed than the McG plan, and most importantly he actually got it done.

Sweeney has also been behind a number of ill conceived proposals that sound student friendly, like various tuition caps or pay after you earn schemes that would result in significant costs to be shifted to the University. Sandra Cunningham has offered similarly questionable ideas at times. She is not alone in thinking the paltry percentage of State funding we get gives the legislature the right to micro manage and offer unfunded mandates among our friends in Trenton.

You have to watch for guys like John Burzichelli (and Diegnan)who want to suggest RU athletics needs to fund other priorities and has a history of being very meddlesome.

Last edited:
ask this guy for the real run down..he will tell you the facts..hes the best!
@senatorLesniak

Thanks to you both. Does anyone else have any thoughts? When Rutgers Camden was being given merged with Rowan, and Sweeney was interfering with BoT structure, this board was on fire with commentary. Anyone else have any input?

From my fairly limited knowledge about this type of thing .. Wouldn't there be some benefit to Rutgers Camden being eliminated from the university set up? In regard to our rankings (as bullshit as they are), wouldn't it boost us up?

Also, I see nothing wrong with having a couple of full time students on the board. What's the downside?

You don't see a downside to having a couple of 20-year-old kids (who don't even have a college degree) sitting on the corporate management board of the University?

come on upstream, as if a college degree means anything
I just feel that the student perspective should be one of the most important, if not, the most important perspective available. I understand that colleges are big business and its all about the dollar, but maybe we can get back to the original intent of these institutions and start educating our young people again.

Ive never seen a state university go out of business. Its a constant, blood-sucking, money-sucking machine that could probably use some softer touch.

Diegnan and Smith should be the largest supporters of all things Rutgers. Sadly that is not the case. If they truly were in favor and were looking after what is best for their constituency, they would align with Rutgers. Simple capital improvements to Rutgers would be a windfall to businesses and residents of their voting districts.

Sean Kean (R) 30th District responded very positively to my concerns over Sweeney's attempt to screw with RU's BOT. Don't know his overall level of "friendship".

From my fairly limited knowledge about this type of thing .. Wouldn't there be some benefit to Rutgers Camden being eliminated from the university set up? In regard to our rankings (as bullshit as they are), wouldn't it boost us up?

Also, I see nothing wrong with having a couple of full time students on the board. What's the downside?
Umm. Wow.

It will take time - possibly a long time - but as Rutgers makes further progress and stature in the B1G grows
... and then puts together some high profile sensational seasons ... more and more individuals of wealth & power will be high profile about their support of RU (and will give big $$)
and then opportunistic politicians will attempt to make powerplays at their own peril - as more & more highly wealthy boosters step up & make significant donations & show themselves as being committed to the future of Rutgers - it will become clear to even the stupidest politician that they should not try to do damage to RU.

come on upstream, as if a college degree means anything
I just feel that the student perspective should be one of the most important, if not, the most important perspective available. I understand that colleges are big business and its all about the dollar, but maybe we can get back to the original intent of these institutions and start educating our young people again.

Ive never seen a state university go out of business. Its a constant, blood-sucking, money-sucking machine that could probably use some softer touch.

So you focused on my comment about students not having a college degree, and not on my calling them kids?

There is already one student as a non-voting member of the BOG (There are also 3 voting students and 2 non-voting students on the BOT, but the BOT has a more advisory role in the running of the University). They are there to provide a student perspective. But providing a student perspective is very different than giving a couple of 20-year-old kids at 13% voice in university finances and contracts.

Reactions: RUsSKii and Block R
So you focused on my comment about students not having a college degree, and not on my calling them kids?

There is already one student as a non-voting member of the BOG (There are also 3 voting students and 2 non-voting students on the BOT, but the BOT has a more advisory role in the running of the University). They are there to provide a student perspective. But providing a student perspective is very different than giving a couple of 20-year-old kids at 13% voice in university finances and contracts.

I understand what you're saying, and even agree for the most part. I just don't think they are kids and they might actually offer more if we expect more. The longer we keep calling 20 yr olds - kids - in our society, the longer they will act the part. But thats a different argument for a different day.

Also, I didnt know about all of the voting power that student reps already have on the BOT. I think its a fair amount of power actually.

Diegnan and Smith should be the largest supporters of all things Rutgers. Sadly that is not the case. If they truly were in favor and were looking after what is best for their constituency, they would align with Rutgers. Simple capital improvements to Rutgers would be a windfall to businesses and residents of their voting districts.
I don't get that either. Back when Lynch was running Middlesex County is was no secret that he resented not having more influence over RU. He wanted to have the kind of input other county bosses had at UMDNJ and some of the State Colleges.

Question-i know Lesniak orchestrated the 25mil in tax credits recently, but is it true that he never came up with a 1mil fundraising pledge. During stadium expansion?

Uhm, no. Who is the 'us'? NB? Newark? NB and Newark? Why not eliminate Newark too?

For whatever they're worth, the rankings in most publications consider each of the three campuses separately so not sure why this issue comes up so often with such ignorance on the topic.

Reactions: 17Q66
Question-i know Lesniak orchestrated the 25mil in tax credits recently, but is it true that he never came up with a 1mil fundraising pledge. During stadium expansion?
I thought that was Corzine. At the time the excuse was avoiding "pay to play". Compared to some of the nonsense that still goes on the idea that the Governor could not encourage donations to the State U. seems a little off.

There is already a student representative on the Board of Governors.

Uhm, no. Who is the 'us'? NB? Newark? NB and Newark? Why not eliminate Newark too?

For whatever they're worth, the rankings in most publications consider each of the three campuses separately so not sure why this issue comes up so often with such ignorance on the topic.

My apologies. I want all 3 to be great.

There is already a student representative on the Board of Governors.

Yes, a non voting representative. Along with two faculty members also non-voting. Which is as it should be as far as I'm concerned.

With the students, even when I was that age I thought it was dopey when one of my fellow students said something like "We know what is best for us" I said no, not really.
As for the faculty they are employees.

Last edited:

Eliminating Rutgers Camden would do nothing for New Brunswicks ranking.

Also the pols wanted to essentially "give" Rutgers Camden to Rowan. Not only would this have meant that hundreds of millions of assets were handed right over to Rowan but it would have caused a great shift in power down South when it comes to determining allocation of state funding for education.

Foe:
Loretta Weinberg
She's a piece of work. She has the most creative reason for being a double dipper, "Bernie Madoff made her do it!"

Ridgewood blog.
Double Dipping Starts at the Top with Loretta Weinberg, D-Teaneck and 17 other assembly and senate incumbents

As a member of the state pension system she had a number of very solid ways to save or defer earnings in a tax advantaged fashion some with nearly no market risk, but I guess she wanted something flashier.

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. How would you all rate Christie's fondness for RU?

Not a Chrisitie fan by inclination but have to admit short of having an avid booster of all things RU in the job he has done well by us. Not piling on and deferring to University leadership when some of the newspapers were braying was important. Being a football fan from U. of Delaware I think gives him an understanding of our situation that somebody that went to a small private school would not understand.

Biggest negative was nearly going along with Norcross/South Jersey machine on the theft of RU Camden. When confronted with the fact that the Trustees would have litigated and the law made it impossible to go forward he relented. Others would have jammed it through because Sweeney and the rest didn't care and would be happy to have a bunch of their law firm donors collecting fees to take it to court.

Chrisitie had two major objective accomplishments for us. The bond Issue and merger.

The bond issue was about more than just RU of course but something that had not been accomplished since 1988. He understands and voices the importance of Higher Ed to a knowledge economy. Yes, it is a lot less than CT, for example, gave UConn over the same period but still a big deal.

The merger is a huge undertaking reversing some previous bad decisions and setting us up for a huge step forward in this upcoming century. This is a milestone on the order of becoming a land grant institution in the 19th century or the State University in the Twentieth. Big, big stuff that does not happen without his support.

Last edited:
What specifically are the benefits that Newark and Camden are bringing to the table from a Rutgers New Brunswick centric point of view? Not trying to be a smart ass - I honestly don't know. I struggle to think of any though off the top of my head.

What specifically are the benefits that Newark and Camden are bringing to the table from a Rutgers New Brunswick centric point of view? Not trying to be a smart ass - I honestly don't know. I struggle to think of any though off the top of my head.

Without getting this thread off topic there's an easy answer to this question:

The political power in the state concentrates around Newark and Camden, not New Brunswick. If Rutgers was to lose its presence in Newark and Camden then New Brunswick would become even more of an afterthought when it comes to funding (Yes I'm well aware that Rutgers as a whole is currently an afterthought in this regard). But it would get a lot worse.

Also not sure if you realize but the business school in Newark and New Brunswick is combined. It's called the Rutgers Business school Newark and New Brunswick. It shares the same faculty and resources. This is just one of the easiest examples of showing that the Rutgers setup is a very complex web. It is what it is and the system can't really be compared to any other state system in the country.

What specifically are the benefits that Newark and Camden are bringing to the table from a Rutgers New Brunswick centric point of view?

The key thing to my mind is it allows RU to send a message we are serving all of NJ. Both publicly and to the power brokers. In a place a parochial as NJ it would be bad if RU was seen as a Middlesex County entity that mostly benefits central Jersey. The way coalitions work in Trenton we would get even less than we do now if that were the case.

We can say New Jerseyeans, and politicians, from across the State should be supportive of the flagship State University and recognize New Brunswick/Piscataway as such. I hope that is the case someday but right now that would be a little pollyanna.

Reactions: S_Janowski
A law school, for starters.

The key thing to my mind is it allows RU to send a message we are serving all of NJ. Both publicly and to the power brokers. In a place a parochial as NJ it would be bad if RU was seen as a Middlesex County entity that mostly benefits central Jersey. The way coalitions work in Trenton we would get even less than we do now if that were the case.

We can say New Jerseyeans, and politicians, from across the State should be supportive of the flagship State University and recognize New Brunswick/Piscataway as such. I hope that is the case someday but right now that would be a little pollyanna.

So in other words, because NJ's political structure is so screwed up with each of the North, Central and South Jersey politcal powerbrokers choosing the protect their own fiefdoms at the expense of what is best for the state and the state flagship University, we need to maintain a 3 campus set-up in order to maintain funding to New Brunswick? NB is the flagship State University of New Jersey as you noted and should be recognized as such regardless of what other campuses it maintains. I realize that is not reality, but I find it sad nonetheless.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Getting back on point,
Assemblyman Ron Dancer (R-12) sent me a nice note in support of the tax credit for Rutgers facilities.

...because NJ's political structure is so screwed up with each of the North, Central and South Jersey politcal powerbrokers choosing the protect their own fiefdoms at the expense of what is best for the state and the state flagship University, we need to maintain a 3 campus set-up in order to maintain funding to New Brunswick? ... but I find it sad nonetheless.
You got it. And it is sad.

I can't recall the name, but a few years back some politician was trying to force a redesign of our logo incorporating "New Jersey" into it that his wife had done.

Christie on RU SPORTS..FYI Barchi looks like he threw back some pints before the match...lol.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball...ie_says_its_on_rutgers_to_be_able_to_com.html

"If we want to be serious players in college athletics, then we need to invest in them,'' Christie said. "If we don't, then we don't. Then we should become schools that aren't in the Big Ten. You're in the Big Ten and that decision was made by Rutgers, then you better be ready to compete with Michigan and Ohio State and Wisconsin and all of those other schools in the Big Ten that compete every day.'

I can't recall the name, but a few years back some politician was trying to force a redesign of our logo incorporating "New Jersey" into it that his wife had done.
That was Diegnan

The law school should be in New Brunswick anyway.

The business school operates in Jersey City and Morristown among other places.

If we get Fulop or a non-Christie Republican, the Norcross machine will finally get what is coming to them and maybe we can start rethinking the need for political outposts are start focusing on actual concerns and not chalk and whose wife should be Dean.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT