ADVERTISEMENT

Here today, gone tomorrow

RUich

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
With professional sports getting free agency, I became less and less of a fan since players were just on a conveyor belt going from one team to another way too frequently.
Now I see the same thing happening in college sports with the transfer portal. It seems like when I was a kid and teams were chosen each time we played by selecting players one at a time.
Even High School is a joke with kids shifting from one "school" to another with immediate playing time. Cannot imagine what their overall academics look like.
With the NIL making talented kids pretty much professionals, I have to think the trend is going to ruin sports right on down to little league and pop warner.
Thanks for letting me make my rant, I know it will generate a lot of negative feedback, but it is what it is.

With professional sports getting free agency, I became less and less of a fan since players were just on a conveyor belt going from one team to another way too frequently.
Now I see the same thing happening in college sports with the transfer portal. It seems like when I was a kid and teams were chosen each time we played by selecting players one at a time.
Even High School is a joke with kids shifting from one "school" to another with immediate playing time. Cannot imagine what their overall academics look like.
With the NIL making talented kids pretty much professionals, I have to think the trend is going to ruin sports right on down to little league and pop warner.
Thanks for letting me make my rant, I know it will generate a lot of negative feedback, but it is what it is.
Clearly, it has become root for the uniform, or don't root at all!

Reactions: koleszar and batts

Let's be honest, you and the rest of us never gave a crap about the players outside of their performance for our teams ...

And NIL has to do with more then what they bring to the team ... It has the the potential to change lives. But now that the players get paid on top of their scholarship, everyone is up in arms.

We don't care if Cliff has a family to support or that Mag has the chance to gain financial stability at a young age ... What we care about is that Cliff can play defense, he can be good around the rim ... We care that Mag plays good defense ... We don't care about Mag's knee for his personal health purposes, we care about his knee so that he can heal fast and come back and play

We are just as selfish as the players and that's okay, because we're humans after all ... Just admit the hypocrisy is all I ask for!

Let's be honest, you and the rest of us never gave a crap about the players outside of their performance for our teams ...

And NIL has to do with more then what they bring to the team ... It has the the potential to change lives. But now that the players get paid on top of their scholarship, everyone is up in arms.

We don't care if Cliff has a family to support or that Mag has the chance to gain financial stability at a young age ... What we care about is that Cliff can play defense, he can be good around the rim ... We care that Mag plays good defense ... We don't care about Mag's knee for his personal health purposes, we care about his knee so that he can heal fast and come back and play

We are just as selfish as the players and that's okay, because we're humans after all ... Just admit the hypocrisy is all I ask for!
I am thinking Ruich, me and others would have no problem if NCAA athletes received a share of conference revenue and NCAA tournament revenue. Whether upfront, deferred, or a combination of both.

I totally agree. Great posting. I'm 68 and I know that Curt Flood and Andy Messerschmitt are considered hero's, but I loved when I was a kid that teams stayed together and had an identity. I believe (hope!!)that they will have to change the current portal/NIL system because if they don't college sports is going to be destroyed.

It’s crazy right now but eventually it’s going to fall into something of an equilibrium. Not every top 250 player is going to want to play for a different school every year. That’s not the NBA model either.

I am thinking Ruich, me and others would have no problem if NCAA athletes received a share of conference revenue and NCAA tournament revenue. Whether upfront, deferred, or a combination of both.

I don't think that was the main point of the post. Fans mostly care about only what benefits the team. When guys like Reiber and Miller use the portal to leave, with or without NIL, an overwhelming majority think its a good move for the program as well as for their own prospects and wish them well....and are excited about the prospects of immediate replacements and upgrades. When guys like Young and Cam transfer, an overwhelming majority think that NIL and the Portal are ruining college basketball and make overtones of disinterest or even threaten to "quit" their fandom. They both love and hate free agency!!

Rarely do fans ever look at this from a player perspective and how that NIL money or new program, different school with different degree might help their career, family or life prospects in or out of basketball.

Reactions: tm_nj and NickRU714
Sorry but fans (and especially coaches) don't actually want that anymore.

Literal facts: HC Pike recruited 5 freshman for 3 scholarship available spots.
If everyone wanted to return "like the good ole' days" - HC Pike would have to ACTIVELY KICK OUT 3 players because of his choices.
HC Pike went into the season (before the first missed shot) planning on getting rid of 2 players this offseason - regardless of their personal choices. Maybe he assumed players would leave - but did he actually know Simpson and Woolf and Cliff and Mag and Chol wanted to leave?
What if they had a change of heart and wanted to return?

I've summarized it before:
"Players shouldn't be able to move around so easily!! Well.....except for bad players on our team that we (fans/staff) want to replace. This players should be pushed out to upgrade the team. But good players on our team shouldn't be able to move around!!"
"However....good players on other teams SHOULD be able to move around. We need to backfill the bad players we don't want to keep around anymore."

Did you want Reiber and Jalen Miller back on the team?
Do you want Simpson and Woolf and Chol to return for next year?

I don't think that was the main point of the post. Fans mostly care about only what benefits the team. When guys like Reiber and Miller use the portal to leave, with or without NIL, an overwhelming majority think its a good move for the program as well as for their own prospects and wish them well....and are excited about the prospects of immediate replacements and upgrades. When guys like Young and Cam transfer, an overwhelming majority think that NIL and the Portal are ruining college basketball and make overtones of disinterest or even threaten to "quit" their fandom. They both love and hate free agency!!

Rarely do fans ever look at this from a player perspective and how that NIL money or new program, different school with different degree might help their career, family or life prospects in or out of basketball.

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

• Love
Reactions: RUInsanity
Clearly, it has become root for the uniform, or don't root at all!

Do people not root for the uniform?
College players are around at most for 5 years (1 of which they wouldn't be playing).
It's not like they could potentially be on the team for 10 years like professional athletes

I have stated many times that players should get a portion of the NCAA tournament revenue. I think I did the math and without taking a big cut the average major conference athlete would get $40,000 per year.

Do people not root for the uniform?
College players are around at most for 5 years (1 of which they wouldn't be playing).
It's not like they could potentially be on the team for 10 years like professional athletes
Yes! However at RU there were 4 year players. Now, they are rare.

Reactions: NickRU714
There once was a time when receiving an all paid college education including room and meals actually meant something. As a parent of three non-Division-One athletes, I miss those days.
No offense, but this is one of the worst takes. NCAA made billions off student athletes back and they offered “a scholarship”. The kids accepted it because at the time that’s the best they could get (except the ones who got paid under the table) . It meant very little to them. Maybe to a few. But most are in it to make it to the nba/nfl name a sport / pro league. They don’t care about the scholarship. It was a means to play.

Reactions: RUsojo and tm_nj
No offense, but this is one of the worst takes. NCAA made billions off student athletes back and they offered “a scholarship”. The kids accepted it because at the time that’s the best they could get (except the ones who got paid under the table) . It meant very little to them. Maybe to a few. But most are in it to make it to the nba/nfl name a sport / pro league. They don’t care about the scholarship. It was a means to play.

I am all about the kids getting paid, but at the same time any kid that didn’t value a scholarship probably had bad parenting

Reactions: megadrone and RW90
I don't think any of this is a problem.....we are assuming that every program finds a home for kids leaving their program. A Chol going to a school like Howard, is a very good tradeoff in terms of basketball and education.

I think half of these portal entries won't find a home next year, so while we discuss NIL as if it wasn't there before, I truly think the RU fans up in arms, are just not used to RU "catching up".

I will say it until it sinks in....most RU fans are conditioned to losing or used to hoping just to be average.....we have a basketball program pushing the ball forward for essentially the entire university, in terms of fan excitement and interest. Football is on the back burner with little interest, very few exciting topics and a coach not interested in bringing the fans along for the ride.

The WVU, Syracuse, Louisville and dozens of other schools raided NJ and our region for 3 to 4 decades and people think those players weren't paid to go to Cuse or Louisville etc??

I think the RU fan somehow wanted to blindly ignore everyone doing what we are now doing.....but now we are trying to win and RU fans are "losing interest "???

Losing interest is watching and paying for tickets with Eddie Jordan and FHJ running the program....watching a bunch of players who tried their best for years, spring an occasional upset, but finishing under. 500 13 years in a row....

Now we are on the way UP and fans don't want to win, I guess.....so, we should keep all the players who finished 10-10 last year and 7-13 this year in the B1G, right?? No thanks, not good enough for me....give me NIL and freedom to improve and win.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUsojo and tm_nj
I have stated many times that players should get a portion of the NCAA tournament revenue. I think I did the math and without taking a big cut the average major conference athlete would get $40,000 per year.
Just the tournament revenue? So in 2022-2023 the tourney revenue was around 1 billion dollars, so 64 or 68 teams 15 payers each… let me use my calculator. I used 68 so that’s 1,020. Now the 40k compensation. Thats about 41 million. So about 4% of the revenue. So I know we can’t compare them to nba players who get 50% of the revenue. But 4% sounds tiny?

I know. But you may be in a tiny minority based anecdotally on other posters' comments.

Sorry but fans (and especially coaches) don't actually want that anymore.

Literal facts: HC Pike recruited 5 freshman for 3 scholarship available spots.
If everyone wanted to return "like the good ole' days" - HC Pike would have to ACTIVELY KICK OUT 3 players because of his choices.
HC Pike went into the season (before the first missed shot) planning on getting rid of 2 players this offseason - regardless of their personal choices. Maybe he assumed players would leave - but did he actually know Simpson and Woolf and Cliff and Mag and Chol wanted to leave?
What if they had a change of heart and wanted to return?

I've summarized it before:
"Players shouldn't be able to move around so easily!! Well.....except for bad players on our team that we (fans/staff) want to replace. This players should be pushed out to upgrade the team. But good players on our team shouldn't be able to move around!!"
"However....good players on other teams SHOULD be able to move around. We need to backfill the bad players we don't want to keep around anymore."

Did you want Reiber and Jalen Miller back on the team?
Do you want Simpson and Woolf and Chol to return for next year?

I do want simpson to return yes

Reactions: NickRU714
Why Yikes? If a child does not value an education that's usually a reflection of the parents values. It has been proven a good education is a leading factor in having a successful career and life.
I’m going to stick to discussing basketball and not parenting / socioeconomic advantages and disadvantages as it relates to basketball / life / successful career.

Why Yikes? If a child does not value an education that's usually a reflection of the parents values. It has been proven a good education is a leading factor in having a successful career and life.
What? Questioning young kids chasing their dreams to play basketball is a parents and value issue. Parents supporting their children chase dreams all while they get their degree?

I met Paul at an NCAA event 2 years ago and asked him what he plans to do after Rutgers and basketball. “ I am going to play ball. Ball is my life”.
He went to NBA camps I am sure he will try over seas and he got his diploma.

What does that have to do with his family or values??

Pursue your dreams and get your diploma! Great values

What? Questioning young kids chasing their dreams to play basketball is a parents and value issue. Parents supporting their children chase dreams all while they get their degree?

I met Paul at an NCAA event 2 years ago and asked him what he plans to do after Rutgers and basketball. “ I am going to play ball. Ball is my life”.
He went to NBA camps I am sure he will try over seas and he got his diploma.

What does that have to do with his family or values??

Pursue your dreams and get your diploma! Great values
The original discussion was kids not valuing a scholarship and the education that, that offers. Have no idea how you went on this tangent.

Reactions: bac2therac
The original discussion was kids not valuing a scholarship and the education that, that offers. Have no idea how you went on this tangent.
Actually someone else here suggested that because young kids don’t value an education / scholarship it’s bad parenting. So RUDivision wasn’t going on a tangent.

Yea a kid is supposed to skip down the road with a scholarship while ncaa made billions. lol

Reactions: RUDivision
Actually someone else here suggested that because young kids don’t value an education / scholarship it’s bad parenting. So RUDivision wasn’t going on a tangent.

Yea a kid is supposed to skip down the road with a scholarship while ncaa made billions. lol
He said he had no problem with people making money. But rather those who didn't value a scholarship(education). So yeah, laughing out loud no one said anything about kids not being paid or skipping down the road.

I think most don't have a problem with kids getting paid. Rather the no rules, no holds bar approach you seem to cherish. Free agency every year, players allowed to move as many times as they want. Coaches, Boosters and Agents allowed to tamper with players at anytime. You know basically chaos.

He said he had no problem with people making money. But rather those who didn't value a scholarship(education). So yeah, laughing out loud no one said anything about kids not being paid or skipping down the road.

I think most don't have a problem with kids getting paid. Rather the no rules, no holds bar approach you seem to cherish. Free agency every year, players allowed to move as many times as they want. Coaches, Boosters and Agents allowed to tamper with players at anytime. You know basically chaos.
That’s your assumption that I cherish a no holds bar approach. I never said that. Actually I’d prefer some type of a commitment (2 years?) some kind of penalty for transferring (not sitting out a year) unless coach gets fired / special circumstance. I’m just out on the old school mentality of …..well a scholarship is a free education and they should be grateful. Majority of the athletes in d1 (with pro leagues) are there to get to the next level and not a bachelor degreee. Some get a reality check and start using the scholarship / education to their advantage some don’t. But I’m a believer that if the ncaa is making wild money off them throwing a scholarship at them is laughable.

Side note , when NIL came about I thought it would be more like a…… athlete A is really good, he’ll go to a local dealership get paid to sign some autographs or a paid appearance. This the wild wild west.

That’s your assumption that I cherish a no holds bar approach. I never said that. Actually I’d prefer some type of a commitment (2 years?) some kind of penalty for transferring (not sitting out a year) unless coach gets fired / special circumstance. I’m just out on the old school mentality of …..well a scholarship is a free education and they should be grateful. Majority of the athletes in d1 (with pro leagues) are there to get to the next level and not a bachelor degreee. Some get a reality check and start using the scholarship / education to their advantage some don’t. But I’m a believer that if the ncaa is making wild money off them throwing a scholarship at them is laughable.

Side note , when NIL came about I thought it would be more like a…… athlete A is really good, he’ll go to a local dealership get paid to sign some autographs or a paid appearance. This the wild wild west.
OK so we're in agreement that this current model is unsustainable and there needs to be some sort of rules.

One note, I was on the other side of the coin. I had a good feeling this is where it was headed and posted that many times on here. Now I did think transfer rules would limit some of it and tampering would/could be enforced. Those two shocked me, that the Supreme court would shoot all or any attempt at rules down, basically creating the disaster we have today.

You must have missed the first words in my post which were I am “all for the kids getting paid.” I contribute to KTR monthly so i am putting my money where my mouth is.

That said, any kid that doesn’t value a free college education probably had parents that didn’t promote the value of education in the home. You do you but from where i sit, that’s bad parenting.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT