ADVERTISEMENT

High school gym will host NJSIAA wrestling tourney in April; 4 regional sites named

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
It will mark the first time since 2002 the NJSIAA Wrestling Championships have not been at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City. The state championships moved to in Atlantic City in 1992 but were held in the new convention center in 1999 and at the Meadowlands in 2000 and 2001 while the 92-year-old Boardwalk Hall was undergoing renovations. The last time the state wrestling championships were held on a high school campus was in 1958 at Somerville.

https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports...urney-in-april-four-regional-sites-named.html

I was there sitting at matside pretending to be a photographer as I was a junior in high school. My classmate st Domerbille was Dave Kinney who won the 148 pound title defeating Wes Covington 6-5 from Overbrook Regional. I remember it like it was yesterday

Like these kids haven't been through enough already and now have to wrestle a State Championship Tournament in a HS Gym on the PA border...Oh Boy...Sad and bad job by NJSIAA...The MAAC Basketball just had their Conference Tournament at Boardwalk Hall

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
Like these kids haven't been through enough already and now have to wrestle a State Championship Tournament in a HS Gym on the PA border...Oh Boy...Sad and bad job by NJSIAA...The MAAC Basketball just had their Conference Tournament at Boardwalk Hall
A massive hs gym that’s actually very nice and basically brand new. Why wrestle in boardwalk hall if it’s gonna be empty anyway?

So they are having a selection committee for 64 guys at a weight class, they should just go back to old days and send 2 wrestlers from districts to regions and 2 from regions to states.

So they are having a selection committee for 64 guys at a weight class, they should just go back to old days and send 2 wrestlers from districts to regions and 2 from regions to states.
I think they’re trying to reduce the number of events and the number of participants. Scrapping the districts altogether sucks but it’s probably the best of the unfortunate options.

I think they’re trying to reduce the number of events and the number of participants. Scrapping the districts altogether sucks but it’s probably the best of the unfortunate options.
PA was able to have a much fuller season and close to a normal postseason with districts, regions, super regions, and kept states at Hershey. It's pretty ridiculous that NJ couldn't do almost everything they normally do.

PA was able to have a much fuller season and close to a normal postseason with districts, regions, super regions, and kept states at Hershey. It's pretty ridiculous that NJ couldn't do almost everything they normally do.
PA has 1/4 the amount of people per square mile

Reactions: PSU_Nut
NJ is uniquely different from every other state in how they respond to the virus because of their insane population density. I feel bad for the kids but NJ can’t reopen safely as fast as other states can.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT