ADVERTISEMENT

High School Individual State Championships Thread

I’m not sure why we wouldn’t be excited for any one who commits here and wants to wrestle for RU. The coaches obviously see something in him and he could obviously continue to develop over the next few years. Worst case he’s a solid depth guy who surely isn’t receiving a meaningful scholarship allocation which would limit the team. I’ll always support anyone who chooses to represent RU.
Well said. If I recall correctly, he is #2 in PA and Sasso's brother is #1. I think he plays football as well. Probably has not wrestled too many opens to get noticed nationally. Let's see how he ends up this year.

Reactions: Peteras9144
NJ states should be brought forward or pushed back a week either way to not coincide with the big tens. Ohio and Penn both are a week off.

I can tell you for a fact NJ will not push back. Student representatives requested a longer time off in between winter and spring seasons and athletic directors agreed. As a result, spring sports are starting two weeks later than usual this year and likely beyond.

Pushing up is certainly a possibility as I predict most spring coaches will be complaining that their preseason isn’t long enough with this added break.
NJ states should be moved up a week to the current week of Regions, so it doesn't conflict with B1Gs. It would be the same weekend as NY. NJ should also get rid of the 30 match rule limit (through 1st weekend of Feb), or modify it to 35-40 or 30 weigh-ins.

Conner Harer in the Finals at 152.

Hopefully he commits (or announces it’s pubically) very soon!
Yes, please. And get his brother Brandt (also class of '26) too.
I’m not sure why we wouldn’t be excited for any one who commits here and wants to wrestle for RU. The coaches obviously see something in him and he could obviously continue to develop over the next few years. Worst case he’s a solid depth guy who surely isn’t receiving a meaningful scholarship allocation which would limit the team. I’ll always support anyone who chooses to represent RU.
Exactly. Support our commits and team members, regardless of what they're ranked. As for scholarships, the new NCAA rule requires at least 20% of a full scholarship now, so no more smaller partials (I'd guess everyone will figure out ways around this at some point):

Scholarship regulations

Rules around athletic and academic competition follow precedent, but the new financial and monetary rules around scholarships are a little more complicated. Starting in the 2022-23 season, any member of a men’s wrestling team on an athletic scholarship must receive at least 20% of a full scholarship.

Athletes receiving athletically-related need-based aid at an institution that offers such funding do not need to receive at least 20% of their costs, but they still must demonstrate financial aid as any non-athlete would be required to do. Wrestlers in their final two years of eligibility who have not previously received aid at any institution may also receive less than 20% of athletically-related financial aid.

NJ states should be moved up a week to the current week of Regions, so it doesn't conflict with B1Gs. It would be the same weekend as NY. NJ should also get rid of the 30 match rule limit (through 1st weekend of Feb), or modify it to 35-40 or 30 weigh-ins.
I am going to disagree with you guys and shortening the NJ wrestling season. Yes, it stinks that it is same weekend as BigTens, but that is no reason to shorten the season by another week. The NJSIAA already shortened the season by a week about 8 years ago(NJ states were always the same weekend as PA--this weekend) but College B-ball wanted Boardwalk Hall this weekend.....And even though they barely sell any tickets, the MAAC conference ponied up big bucks for the arena.

Reactions: Leonard23
Well said. If I recall correctly, he is #2 in PA and Sasso's brother is #1. I think he plays football as well. Probably has not wrestled too many opens to get noticed nationally. Let's see how he ends up this year.
Sasso bumped to 215

Yes, please. And get his brother Brandt (also class of '26) too.

Exactly. Support our commits and team members, regardless of what they're ranked. As for scholarships, the new NCAA rule requires at least 20% of a full scholarship now, so no more smaller partials (I'd guess everyone will figure out ways around this at some point):

Scholarship regulations

Rules around athletic and academic competition follow precedent, but the new financial and monetary rules around scholarships are a little more complicated. Starting in the 2022-23 season, any member of a men’s wrestling team on an athletic scholarship must receive at least 20% of a full scholarship.

Athletes receiving athletically-related need-based aid at an institution that offers such funding do not need to receive at least 20% of their costs, but they still must demonstrate financial aid as any non-athlete would be required to do. Wrestlers in their final two years of eligibility who have not previously received aid at any institution may also receive less than 20% of athletically-related financial aid.
Yeah I remember that changing but he could even be walking on, receiving other types of aide, etc… like you said there are certainly workarounds and I doubt it truly negatively impacts anyone.

Reactions: Leonard23
Packer loses 5-2 in his semifinal. Didn’t seem to have much offenses this tournament. Appears to be very strong but hopefully focusing on wrestling will be beneficial for him long term.

Packer loses 5-2 in his semifinal. Didn’t seem to have much offenses this tournament. Appears to be very strong but hopefully focusing on wrestling will be beneficial for him long term.
Too bad. I was hoping to see how he would do against Hogan. Packer had a good record and lots of pins. I think he relies on his strength and doesn't do as well against other strong wrestlers. It's a good starting point, but there is no guarantee he'll develop further. Nevertheless, we need more talent at 197. I look forward to seeing what he can do and hope he doesn't become another that we don't hear about. I've searched Youtube but can't find any wrestling videos of him... strange.

I am going to disagree with you guys and shortening the NJ wrestling season. Yes, it stinks that it is same weekend as BigTens, but that is no reason to shorten the season by another week. The NJSIAA already shortened the season by a week about 8 years ago(NJ states were always the same weekend as PA--this weekend) but College B-ball wanted Boardwalk Hall this weekend.....And even though they barely sell any tickets, the MAAC conference ponied up big bucks for the arena.
I hear ya and don't disagree, but the B1Gs conflict is less than ideal when our coaches can't attend NJ states. Gotta figure out something.

Too bad. I was hoping to see how he would do against Hogan. Packer had a good record and lots of pins. I think he relies on his strength and doesn't do as well against other strong wrestlers. It's a good starting point, but there is no guarantee he'll develop further. Nevertheless, we need more talent at 197. I look forward to seeing what he can do and hope he doesn't become another that we don't hear about. I've searched Youtube but can't find any wrestling videos of him... strange.
Agreed 100%.

Seems like he is very raw in terms of his wrestling development but is very gifted/strong athletically. We’ve had an issue of being undersized at some of the upper weights recently aside from
Bulsak so hopefully once he gets in the room and dedicates himself to wrestling he can continue to progress.

Agreed 100%.

Seems like he is very raw in terms of his wrestling development but is very gifted/strong athletically. We’ve had an issue of being undersized at some of the upper weights recently aside from
Bulsak so hopefully once he gets in the room and dedicates himself to wrestling he can continue to progress.
Packer loses the 3/4 match in OT. I think you guys are right about the dedication to wrestling. He spent a lot of time practicing football, rather than being 100% dedicated to wrestling like a lot of these guys are.

Packer loses the 3/4 match in OT. I think you guys are right about the dedication to wrestling. He spent a lot of time practicing football, rather than being 100% dedicated to wrestling like a lot of these guys are.
I get the logic but this didn’t stop Jimmy Mullen from being the top heavyweight recruit in the country

Reactions: koleszar
Packer finished only 4th, ut oh. Totally under the rankings radar, ut oh. Has to be developed, big ut oh. Despite all that, he has good strength and athleticism and may be better than other 197 recruits from recent years.

Pretty sure he’s the exception, not the rule. He would have been a 4xer which obviously very rare
I agree but that’s not the point. Get good wrestlers who want to be better wrestlers. Caring about football shouldn’t be a red flag. If Packer was an elite wrestler no one would care that he plays football but because he’s not ranked nationally, his caring about football is being perceived as a problem. Kind of silly IMO

I don't think jimmy will ever start or wrestle at VTech. He went to VTech for football.
Funny most football people see it the exact opposite way. Jimmy was a low d1 recruit for football until VaTech offered for both (mainly wrestling). VaTech was the only P5 offer. If he wasn’t a huge wrestling prospect his football skill level is at the Patriot level. Wish him well but I don’t think he sees the field.

Funny most football people see it the exact opposite way. Jimmy was a low d1 recruit for football until VaTech offered for both (mainly wrestling). VaTech was the only P5 offer. If he wasn’t a huge wrestling prospect his football skill level is at the Patriot level. Wish him well but I don’t think he sees the field.
I tend to agree but we’ll see how it plays out. Kyonte Hamilton was in a similar situation and played himself into a football friendly situstion

Reactions: runrutgersrun
I tend to agree but we’ll see how it plays out. Kyonte Hamilton was in a similar situation and played himself into a football friendly situstion
Yea saw Jimmy play 3-4 times and thought he’s a nice player but not P5 level. Didn’t dominate and wasn’t even the best dlinemen on the field. As I said earlier I wish him well. Seems like a good kid and tough as nails.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT