ADVERTISEMENT

Hobbs is on a roll. Can he improve the band?

Why even have a band? Have Mixed Martial Arts fights at halftime, Crowd would like it better. Frankie Edgar for the first halftime !

Reactions: Section124
Hobbs is demanding accountability from his coaches. Excuse time is over. It will be interesting to see if his approach brings success and if there is any cost of that success.

This message board calls for everyone to be fired. Lol. This isn't a high paying job (many of you would not accept the salary) and this guy travels in a bus all around the eastern half of the US every other week. He also has teaching responsibilities at the university. Like most topics here, I think the complainers here out of touch with reality.

Yeah, don't know you have to go there (fire) but he could help bring it into B1G mode? There are other things that could be done to help.

I'll even edit my title to say "improve" .

The band needs help. It is the equivalent of our MBB team when it comes to our other B1G mates.
And please, someone teach them about football

DJ Spanky,
Any movement on having all the music majors in the Rutgers Marching Band ?

This message board calls for everyone to be fired. Lol.

I thought with a new AD in charge, the move was likely to be made; however, you're right. Firing the coach is the EASY move to make. Making a good hire is the hard one. I liked his approach to hiring Ash. I think it's good to have some people in mind, but let yourself be swayed by a great interview. Hopefully Ash and the new basketball coach will turn out to be great hires.

This message board calls for everyone to be fired. Lol. This isn't a high paying job (many of you would not accept the salary) and this guy travels in a bus all around the eastern half of the US every other week. He also has teaching responsibilities at the university. Like most topics here, I think the complainers here out of touch with reality.

It's easy to call for other's heads. I find it troublesome but it's part of the internet world and not just in sports.

Well, then it is time for RU to step it up. Offer a good salary and make the band better and bigger.
And how will it cost to get them to learn the subtleties of a damn football game.
Don't start playing just as a R U chants starts, don't blast away when we have the ball in a critical situation etc

Well, then it is time for RU to step it up. Offer a good salary and make the band better and bigger.
And how will it cost to get them to learn the subtleties of a damn football game.
Don't start playing just as a R U chants starts, don't blast away when we have the ball in a critical situation etc
U R so correct. The band is clueless , but then again so are most of the fans. The RU chant has morphed into irrelevance because it is done so poorly.

Reactions: MJL_52

I would say that I'm very much familiar with the situation and our band director, in any position in any other field, would have been fired years ago. Change needs to be made, period, and the only reason it hasn't is because of the carousal of AD's which, essentially, has given him a "free pass" through the last couple of regimes.

Reactions: RUChoppin
I would say that I'm very much familiar with the situation and our band director, in any position in any other field, would have been fired years ago. Change needs to be made, period, and the only reason it hasn't is because of the carousal of AD's which, essentially, has given him a "free pass" through the last couple of regimes.
And the protection of Schiano.

And the protection of Schiano.

This is true. Greg - for whatever reason - absolutely loved/loves our band director. I would guess because of the fact that the band was too small, when Greg was here, to take any attention whatsoever off of the team on the field (I have my own personal theory, about why, but won't get into it again...).

Like most topics here, I think the complainers here out of touch with reality.
I find it interesting that most of the known band alumni who post on this board think Smith is not getting the job done. I imagine we are probably in touch with what it takes to have a successful college band. It should not be a tenured position. Retention stinks, the shows aren't all that challenging, and he doesn't even write the drill. What does he do well as a Big Ten marching band director?

I find it interesting that most of the known band alumni who post on this board think Smith is not getting the job done. I imagine we are probably in touch with what it takes to have a successful college band. It should not be a tenured position. Retention stinks, the shows aren't all that challenging, and he doesn't even write the drill. What does he do well as a Big Ten marching band director?

Exactly

I would bet 90% of ex-band members say time for a change

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT