ADVERTISEMENT

OT: May 23 Is National Pork Roll Day (Not National Taylor Ham Day)

And if Mr. Back- came up with the recipe and called it "Back Ham" - Canada makes them change it to Canadian Bacon- wouldn't people that call it "Back Ham" still be correct?
you can can bet your
kevin-bacon-eating-bacon-v0-b3BnZTBhdjRyaW9jMWv229zGzvmjhxXwBbAoDQSMqODbkw6xxaWaqJrGPBHu.png

on that

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Only problem with that is if you put cheese on it, some of it drips onto the pan when it starts to melt.

I'm amazed there's a national pork roll day when almost nobody in the other 49 states even know what pork roll is.
this nobody knows about it, just not well enough though. We now have it in Little Rock.

Reactions: robcac26
this nobody knows about it, just not well enough though. We now have it in Little Rock.
My sister lives in Florida, Jensen Beach. They see it everywhere down there mostly because of all the transplants especially seniors. They been down there 40 years.
Getting good Italian bread is another story!

Hard to find a good hard crusted roll in Arkansas.
I live just outside Philadelphia these days. I sure miss a simple walk to Sarcone's Bakery. The best Italian bread on the East Coast. The positive is I actually lost 10 pounds since I moved. Probably more from cycling but certainly a combination of both.

Will this stupid debate ever end?
Only when the Taylor ham crowd surrenders.

Why they changed it, I can't say, people just liked it (Pork Roll!) better that way! See below.

Wow. My 6th grade social studies teacher played that song in class in 1999 when it was relevant to the subject matter and it stuck in my head and I never heard it again until you posted it. Thanks for that blast from the past haha.

My sister lives in Florida, Jensen Beach. They see it everywhere down there mostly because of all the transplants especially seniors. They been down there 40 years.
Getting good Italian bread is another story!
BUT DO LITTLE ROCK AND JENSEN BEACH CALL IT PORK ROLL OR TAYLOR HAM?!?!?!??!

To the pork roll group- The inventor called it Taylor Ham. Government made them change it- why do you all have an issue with those of us that continue to call it by the name it was created with.
This is why you all can’t really win this and you all just sound stupid.
BTW- up here in the north, they try to pass any other brand onto our sandwiches- they are done.
You poor F-s,,,they can use Eugene’s pork roll and you got no say in it.,,

To the pork roll group- The inventor called it Taylor Ham. Government made them change it- why do you all have an issue with those of us that continue to call it by the name it was created with.
BTW- up here in the north, they try to pass any other brand onto our sandwiches- they are done.
Because it isn't ham.

• Love
Reactions: Knight Shift
Do you have your local deli show you the brand name?

Taylor is pretty much a retail brand. Their wholesale brand is Trenton. So you probably aren’t getting “Taylor” at your deli.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Do you have your local deli show you the brand name?

Taylor is pretty much a retail brand. Their wholesale brand is Trenton. So you probably aren’t getting “Taylor” at your deli.
Most deli's I go to in NNJ serve Taylor brand. That is why it's Taylor Ham. I do see Trenton from time to time but never see the others like Case (except in ShopRite).

I bet the Pork Roll crew never asks generically for Vaseline, Band-aid's or a Coke. Must suck to have to remember all the actual names of the products. 😀

Some people just order what it was originally called : Taylor Ham
"Created in the mid-1850s by John Taylor, pork roll — a blend of pork, spices, salt and sugar — was originally called Taylor ham."
ordering Taylor Ham is making sure you get the type of pork roll you want, just like ordering a coke is wanting Coca- Cola and not a Pepsi.
Incorrect. It was called Taylor Prepared Ham.

Most deli's I go to in NNJ serve Taylor brand. That is why it's Taylor Ham. I do see Trenton from time to time but never see the others like Case (except in ShopRite).
I doubt that. But if you say so. May say “TaylorHam”on the menu but more than likely it’s another product.

I doubt that. But if you say so. May say “TaylorHam”on the menu but more than likely it’s another product.
Agree with section- I pretty much get my breakfast sandwiches at 2 deli's- both prominently showcase Taylor.

I doubt that many would say Taylor Ham on the menu and serve something different. It would be like saying you sell Boars Head Roast Beef and you pull out something else.
And TBH- NNJ people arent dumb- they see the deli pulling out a different brand and it is advertised as Taylor Ham- we are going to call their dumb asses out on it.

Reactions: Section124
Agree with section- I pretty much get my breakfast sandwiches at 2 deli's- both prominently showcase Taylor.

I doubt that many would say Taylor Ham on the menu and serve something different. It would be like saying you sell Boars Head Roast Beef and you pull out something else.
And TBH- NNJ people arent dumb- they see the deli pulling out a different brand and it is advertised as Taylor Ham- we are going to call their dumb asses out on it.
Okay. Not saying dumb. But as others have said it’s a brand name that is associated with an entire market. That dostributes very little to the the wholesale market.

this company supplies the machinery to cases, Taylor etc to process the heavenly meat. That’s why I’m pretty sure much of the meat you think is Taylor’s at your deli is more than likely something else.

Many people ask for a Kleenex and are handed something else, Vaseline, coke etc…

I bet the Pork Roll crew never asks generically for Vaseline, Band-aid's or a Coke. Must suck to have to remember all the actual names of the products. 😀
I do use the brand names Vaseline and Band-aid to refer the products, but I don't stupidly argue that those are the actual names of the items.

Reactions: kupuna133
Taylor Ham isn't a brand name. It's a generic name for pork roll. Ask for Taylor Ham and it doesn't mean you are getting Taylor Pork Roll.

Taylor Ham isn't a brand name. It's a generic name for pork roll. Ask for Taylor Ham and it doesn't mean you are getting Taylor Pork Roll.
You're exactly right.
John Taylor called it "Taylor Prepared Ham" and that's what should be ordered so you don't get an inferior pork roll product . 😁

You're exactly right.
John Taylor called it "Taylor Prepared Ham" and that's what should be ordered so you don't get an inferior pork roll product . 😁
At least the Taylor Company can protect that name. Taylor Ham can be used by any company selling pork roll and many diners do that.

I do use the brand names Vaseline and Band-aid to refer the products, but I don't stupidly argue that those are the actual names of the items.
ok- so, ask for pork roll and if you get joe bob billies West Virginia Pork Roll- dont complain

When I ask for a TH/E/C sandwich - it is because I want the Taylor product.

If you walk into a deli and want a boars head turkey sandwich and they give you something else- would that be right of them?

Reactions: Section124
ok- so, ask for pork roll and if you get joe bob billies West Virginia Pork Roll- dont complain

When I ask for a TH/E/C sandwich - it is because I want the Taylor product.

If you walk into a deli and want a boars head turkey sandwich and they give you something else- would that be right of them?
If you ask for Taylor Ham it doesn't mean you are getting Taylor Pork Roll! You are simply asking for any pork roll. Taylor Ham is not trademarked so you yourself can also get Joe Bob Billies WV pork roll.
If you want Taylor Pork Roll then ask for Taylor Pork Roll. If you think you are getting Taylor Pork Roll when you are ordering Taylor Ham you are a fool. P.T. Barnum says hi.

If you ask for Taylor Ham it doesn't mean you are getting Taylor Pork Roll! You are simply asking for any pork roll. Taylor Ham is not trademarked so you yourself can also get Joe Bob Billies WV pork roll.
If you want Taylor Pork Roll then ask for Taylor Pork Roll. If you think you are getting Taylor Pork Roll when you are ordering Taylor Ham you are a fool. P.T. Barnum says hi.
you have a better chance to get "Taylor Ham " if you ask for it by name and go to a place that has "Taylor Ham" on the menu .
If menu says Pork Roll then you need to ask if it's Taylor.

There are places that when you order a coke they tell you they serve Pepsi, so when ordering "Taylor Ham" you should be told what they serve if "Taylor Ham" isn't served there .
Places that serve you a different product than what you ordered should be avoided because if they don't give you what you asked for and don't tell you, you can bet other items on the menu probably are a P.T. Barnum type of item if you don't watch out.

you have a better chance to get "Taylor Ham " if you ask for it by name and go to a place that has "Taylor Ham" on the menu .
If menu says Pork Roll then you need to ask if it's Taylor.

There are places that when you order a coke they tell you they serve Pepsi, so when ordering "Taylor Ham" you should be told what they serve if "Taylor Ham" isn't served there .
Places that serve you a different product than what you ordered should be avoided because if they don't give you what you asked for and don't tell you, you can bet other items on the menu probably are a P.T. Barnum type of item if you don't watch out.
No you don't! Didn't realize you are that gullible. Just because you believe Taylor Ham ever existed doesn't mean the owners feel the same way.
And it's apples and martians comparing a product that does exist, Coke, to Taylor Ham which doesn't exist so you get what they have. I doubt you been getting Taylor Pork Roll when you believe the menu that says Taylor Ham no more then 25% of the time.
You aren't ordering a specific product! You are ordering the house pork roll.

No you don't! Didn't realize you are that gullible. Just because you believe Taylor Ham ever existed doesn't mean the owners feel the same way.
And it's apples and martians comparing a product that does exist, Coke, to Taylor Ham which doesn't exist so you get what they have. I doubt you been getting Taylor Pork Roll when you believe the menu that says Taylor Ham no more then 25% of the time.
You aren't ordering a specific product! You are ordering the house pork roll.
According to the self-proclaimed CEO of Taylor Ham himself, these are the five best Taylor Ham, egg and cheeses in New Jersey.
  • Pascarella Brothers Delicatessen – Chatham, NJ. ...
  • Jovo's Deli – Brick Township, NJ. ...
  • Oscar's Deli & Restaurant – Millburn, NJ. ...
  • The Greeks – Kearny, NJ. ...
  • Fredon Deli & Pizza – Fredon, NJ.
Oct 31, 2023
31b5142b-1123-4312-89fc-87c83054d0d6-w1920-p1-797x1024.jpg

According to the self-proclaimed CEO of Taylor Ham himself, these are the five best Taylor Ham, egg and cheeses in New Jersey.
  • Pascarella Brothers Delicatessen – Chatham, NJ. ...
  • Jovo's Deli – Brick Township, NJ. ...
  • Oscar's Deli & Restaurant – Millburn, NJ. ...
  • The Greeks – Kearny, NJ. ...
  • Fredon Deli & Pizza – Fredon, NJ.
Oct 31, 2023
31b5142b-1123-4312-89fc-87c83054d0d6-w1920-p1-797x1024.jpg
Then only go to those 5 of the 1000s who make Pork Roll eggs and cheese.
However the NJCB menu doesn't say Taylor Pork Roll Brunch lol. And who the F opens for breakfast at 10am??? What kind of nonsense is that?
Here is one of the "Top" diners in North Jersey that definitely doesn't use Taylor Pork Roll. When I say "Top" I mean you fall for this nonsense. Besides with the egg and cheese alone you will never know the difference.
  • TAYLOR HAM, EGG + CHEESE
    Grilled pork roll, scrambled or fried eggs, American, brioche bun

Let’s try this again for the southerners- up here, if they have TH on the menu- 9 out of 10 times, they have the Taylor Brand meat proudly displayed and you see them grab it out of the deli display. They same way yo see them grab the boars head if they say they make the sandwich with boars head.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
Let’s try this again for the southerners- up here, if they have TH on the menu- 9 out of 10 times, they have the Taylor Brand meat proudly displayed and you see them grab it out of the deli display. They same way yo see them grab the boars head if they say they make the sandwich with boars head.
Sure they do!😉

Ask to see the log. My bet is you will be surprised by the results.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Was in the market basket- Franklin Lakes this morning- asked for the TH/E/C- and was surprised
What was the brand? And I wouldn’t classify the market basket as a “local deli” that’s a high end retail store with a deli counter.

Last edited:
What was the brand? And I wouldn’t classify the market basket as a “local deli” that’s a high end retail store with a deli counter.
As with most deli’s here- it was Taylor, of course…it was what they advertised
My other place is Wiles in Mahwah.,,and they clearly have Taylor and no other brands. And again, it IS what they advertise.

Reactions: MADHAT1
As with most deli’s here- it was Taylor, of course…it was what they advertised
My other place is Wiles in Mahwah.,,and they clearly have Taylor and no other brands. And again, it IS what they advertise.
So do you really think that every place that advertises “Taylor ham” is selling you Taylor ham on their sandwiches?

Again not including super high end retail stores that have a deli counter (market basket). I’m talking your local bagel/deli/diner.

Not plausible.

Last edited:
So do you really think that every place that advertises “Taylor ham” is selling you Taylor ham on their sandwiches?

Again not including super high end retail stores that have a deli counter (market basket). I’m talking your local bagel/deli/diner.

Not plausible.
I would assume there are some deli's out there doing this- but most of us up here really aren't all that stupid. If the menu says Taylor Ham and they pull out a different brand- they would most likely be called out on it.

If I am in the southern part of the state- I will ask what brand they are using. As they are under no obligation to sell Taylor if it just says pork roll on the menu. So, a very much greater chance to get Taylor up here in a deli that says taylor ham then down there where they say pork roll.

I would assume there are some deli's out there doing this- but most of us up here really aren't all that stupid. If the menu says Taylor Ham and they pull out a different brand- they would most likely be called out on it.

If I am in the southern part of the state- I will ask what brand they are using. As they are under no obligation to sell Taylor if it just says pork roll on the menu. So, a very much greater chance to get Taylor up here in a deli that says taylor ham then down there where they say pork roll.
👌 I guess the guy that sells the machinery and product to the manufacturer doesn’t know the industry. Gotcha!

👌 I guess the guy that sells the machinery and product to the manufacturer doesn’t know the industry. Gotcha!
He is so full of crap. When do you see someone pull out pork roll and slice it for every pork roll egg and cheese? Never. They pre-slice it and you never see the brand!

He is so full of crap. When do you see someone pull out pork roll and slice it for every pork roll egg and cheese? Never. They pre-slice it and you never see the brand!

Exactly why I said to ask to see the log.
So- you are contending that the deli's are putting the Taylor into their display cases only for show and pull out something else behind the scene? In what world does that make sense?

And I did concede that like everything else- there are people that just may say they are serving Taylor and using some other brand but so far and in almost everywhere I have been in NNJ that has it on the menu- has it sitting right there in the display case and no other brands of pork roll.
Seems like a lot of effort and I don't think that Taylor is so far more expensive that they have to do this...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT