ADVERTISEMENT

OT: May 23 Is National Pork Roll Day (Not National Taylor Ham Day)

So- you are contending that the deli's are putting the Taylor into their display cases only for show and pull out something else behind the scene? In what world does that make sense?

And I did concede that like everything else- there are people that just may say they are serving Taylor and using some other brand but so far and in almost everywhere I have been in NNJ that has it on the menu- has it sitting right there in the display case and no other brands of pork roll.
Seems like a lot of effort and I don't think that Taylor is so far more expensive that they have to do this...
My point was never that some places don’t serve “Taylor”. It’s that most that you think are serving “Taylor” aren’t. The place you mentioned yesterday probably is serving Taylor. But that’s a super high end market not a greasy spoon.just because it says generically “Taylor” on the menu doesn’t mean it’s really that product. High percentage it’s not. Taylor ham is nothing more than a colloquialism versus a designated brand of Taylor provisions
As I said Taylor is their retail (think supermarket brand) Trenton is their wholesale (delis).

Last edited:
Agree with section- I pretty much get my breakfast sandwiches at 2 deli's- both prominently showcase Taylor.

I doubt that many would say Taylor Ham on the menu and serve something different. It would be like saying you sell Boars Head Roast Beef and you pull out something else.
And TBH- NNJ people arent dumb- they see the deli pulling out a different brand and it is advertised as Taylor Ham- we are going to call their dumb asses out on it.
So you call roast beef, Boars Head Roast beef ?? You just lost the Taylor ham argument by pointing this out.

So do you really think that every place that advertises “Taylor ham” is selling you Taylor ham on their sandwiches?

Again not including super high end retail stores that have a deli counter (market basket). I’m talking your local bagel/deli/diner.

Not plausible.
don't know for sure, but if you order something on menu and they substitute without giving you a choice to accept substituted item or not, a complaint to the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs might be the result and Deli's don't want that happening.
So if Taylor Ham is on the venue, you get it or told it's not available and offered a substitute brand.
Also if a deli substituents another pork roll product with an ingredient not in the Taylor one a lawsuit might happen if the person is allergic to that ingredient and gets sick.

So I would guess it will be like ordering a coke in places that only serve Pepsi, the server will say what they are serving if it's not what you order.

don't know for sure, but if you order something on menu and they substitute without giving you a choice to accept substituted item or not, a complaint to the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs might be the result and Deli's don't want that happening.
So if Taylor Ham is on the venue, you get it or told it's not available and offered a substitute brand.
Also if a deli substituents another pork roll product with an ingredient not in the Taylor one a lawsuit might happen if the person is allergic to that ingredient and gets sick.

So I would guess it will be like ordering a coke in places that only serve Pepsi, the server will say what they are serving if it's not what you order.
That’s if there was such a thing as Taylor ham but there isn’t. Taylor provisions is a company that makes Taylor pork roll. Taylor ham is a generic term (used by some people) for pork roll regardless of the supplier. A colloquialism.

Last edited:
That’s if there was such a thing as Taylor ham but there isn’t. There are no trademarks to the effect. Taylor provisions is a company that makes Taylor pork roll. Taylor ham is a generic term for said product.
There's no product that brand name is Coke bit that's what people order when they want a Coca-Cola . But ordering a coke is universally accepted when ordering a Coca-Cola and if the place is serving another brand they tell you before they fill your order
I have been told many times, in different places, we serve Pepsi when I ordered a Coke and they both are Cola products.
So sometimes it's not exactly the name brand being ordered, but the name that is used for ordering that the product is known by

There's no product that brand name is Coke bit that's what people order when they want a Coca-Cola . But ordering a coke is universally accepted when ordering a Coca-Cola and if the place is serving another brand they tell you before they fill your order
I have been told many times, in different places, we serve Pepsi when I ordered a Coke and they both are Cola products.
So sometimes it's not exactly the name brand being ordered, but the name that is used for ordering that the product is known by
Do some research. Coke is registered by Coca Cola. Have a coke and a smile ring a bell?

Reactions: LETSGORU91
your right about Coke and my research came up with this
TAYLOR HAM Trademark of TAYLOR PROVISIONS COMPANY, THE - Registration Number 0668119 - Serial Number 72022776 :: Justia Trademarks.

I was going off what someone else said in the thread regarding trademarks. That is why I removed it from the post. But looks like you started your reply before I amended. My bad But legally can’t call it that. Or really use the trademark. It’s based off of a logo not product in the wrapper. Crazy right!

Last edited:
TAYLOR HAM Trademark of TAYLOR PROVISIONS COMPANY, THE - Registration Number 0668119 - Serial Number 72022776 :: Justia Trademarks.

That's the registration for the packaging logo not the name of the product.
Read the whole thing
Disclaimer
APPLICANT MAKES NO CLAIM TO EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS IN THE WORD "HAM."
Even Taylor Provisions can't actually use that logo for pork roll simply because legally it's not ham.

Reactions: kupuna133
Arguing just to argue in this thread. Reminds me of another poster on this board. Such a waste of time. You will NEVER change how it's requested in NNJ (whether right or wrong).

That's the registration for the packaging logo not the name of the product.
Read the whole thing
Disclaimer
APPLICANT MAKES NO CLAIM TO EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS IN THE WORD "HAM."
Even Taylor Provisions can't actually use that logo for pork roll simply because legally it's not ham.
It means Taylor Provisions doesn't claim it is ham, just legally keeps other pork roll manufactures from calling their product Taylor Ham when ordering pork roll and when Taylor Ham is ordered it must be a Taylor Provisions product served

So you call roast beef, Boars Head Roast beef ?? You just lost the Taylor ham argument by pointing this out.
I don’t order it like that but if they have the boars head on the menu- then they know they better be pulling out the board head.

I’m wondering if those saying a high % of TH on the menu most likely, is not.,.are talking from “experience” or talking out their ass.

I’m going to assume for the NNJ people on here- they are as familiar as I am with seeing the Taylor Roll in the display case and do not see other brands.
You may be right that it happens but it is more of a small % the “majority”

Reactions: Section124
I don’t order it like that but if they have the boars head on the menu- then they know they better be pulling out the board head.

I’m wondering if those saying a high % of TH on the menu most likely, is not.,.are talking from “experience” or talking out their ass.

I’m going to assume for the NNJ people on here- they are as familiar as I am with seeing the Taylor Roll in the display case and do not see other brands.
Speaking from inside knowledge shared to me by the owner of the manufacturer who sells the machinery. I like you thought most of the product sold would be of the Taylor brand. But he enlightened me that they make up a very small percentage of what is sold in the deli business. Taylor is a retail brand.

As plum said just because boars head is in the case doesn’t mean it’s on your sandwich. Lots of delis especially ones that do a big cold cut business only uae the Boars Head or high end product when they are slicing for the take home by the lb. And it is specified.

Speaking from inside knowledge shared to me by the owner of the manufacturer who sells the machinery. I like you thought most of the product sold would be of the Taylor brand. But he enlightened me that they make up a very small percentage of what is sold in the deli business. Taylor is a retail brand.

As plum said just because boars head is in the case doesn’t mean it’s on your sandwich. Lots of delis especially ones that do a big cold cut business only uae the Boars Head or high end product when they are slicing for the take home by the lb. And it is specified.
and if they say they are using boars head on the sandwich- they do so...If they do not specify- then, most likely they don't.

But regardless- it is Taylor Ham and not going to spend another minute with anyone, not in NNJ arguing if or if not, a deli up here is doing a bait in switch.

and if they say they are using boars head on the sandwich- they do so...If they do not specify- then, most likely they don't.

But regardless- it is Taylor Ham and not going to spend another minute with anyone, not in NNJ arguing if or if not, a deli up here is doing a bait in switch.
😎 can’t bait and switch when the Taylor ham product doesn’t even exist!

The biggest point is it's pork roll not Taylor Ham which isn't a real thing.
I always thought that it was generically called pork roll, but the major manufacturers brand of it is called Taylor ham

To the pork roll group- The inventor called it Taylor Ham. Government made them change it- why do you all have an issue with those of us that continue to call it by the name it was created with.

What this thread needs is a geographic analysis by area:

North Jersey
South Jersey and, of course,
Central Jersey!
I think it's pretty hilarious the government intervened and tried to force us to acknowledge two things that don't exist: pork roll AND Central Jersey.

Taylor ham is a brand of pork roll just as boars head is a brand of cold cut. That is just the facts. Hence, it’s called national pork roll day and not Taylor ham day.

This is just a whole stupid argument. Like when you order and Coke and they bring you Pepsi …did you really just drink a Coke ?

It means Taylor Provisions doesn't claim it is ham, just legally keeps other pork roll manufactures from calling their product Taylor Ham when ordering pork roll and when Taylor Ham is ordered it must be a Taylor Provisions product served
Hahaha. That is 1000% incorrect. Taylor Ham is a generic word for pork roll.

Taylor ham is a brand of pork roll just as boars head is a brand of cold cut. That is just the facts. Hence, it’s called national pork roll day and not Taylor ham day.

This is just a whole stupid argument. Like when you order and Coke and they bring you Pepsi …did you really just drink a Coke ?
Taylor is a brand of pork roll.
Ham is something else entirely.

That is why I mostly just referred to Taylor “brand”
We all know it is pork roll but the I center of it called it Ham..,so, we go with it.
This thread could have ended halfway through the first page if you admitted this earlier. Odd you were so defensive 😉

• Haha
Reactions: robcac26

You will note the description ofgoods identified for the Taylor Ham trademark is:

"Goods and Services
PACKAGED CHOPPED SMOKED HAM"

There is a doctrine in trademarks that disallows trademarks to be registered if they are deceptively misdescriptive. This trademark is for chopped ham.

The same company has had a trademark since 1908, "TAYLOR'S" for a product called "pork roll"

So even the Taylor Provisions Company recognizes that the proper name for the product is pork roll.

Last edited:
You will note the description ofgoods identified for the Taylor Ham trademark is:

"Goods and Services

There is a doctrine in trademarks that disallows trademarks to be registered if they are deceptively misdescriptive. This trademark is for chopped ham.

The same company has had a trademark since 1908, "TAYLOR'S" for a product called "pork roll"

Some even the Taylor Provisions Company recognizes that the proper name for the product is pork roll.

And they didn't trademark the logo until 1950s

ok- so, ask for pork roll and if you get joe bob billies West Virginia Pork Roll- dont complain

When I ask for a TH/E/C sandwich - it is because I want the Taylor product.

If you walk into a deli and want a boars head turkey sandwich and they give you something else- would that be right of them?
This argument you're making seems to be more in favor of "pork roll" over "Taylor ham." If you're saying that ordering it as Taylor ham means you're requesting specifically the Taylor brand, wouldn't that mean that is NOT the generic name of the product? What if you want to order Case's, would you ask for Case's Taylor ham (even though neither of the words Taylor or ham appear on the package)? And if that is correct, then why wouldn't you specify Taylor Taylor ham when that's what you want?

At least you have finally admitted a few posts ago that pork roll is the correct term.

This argument you're making seems to be more in favor of "pork roll" over "Taylor ham." If you're saying that ordering it as Taylor ham means you're requesting specifically the Taylor brand, wouldn't that mean that is NOT the generic name of the product? What if you want to order Case's, would you ask for Case's Taylor ham (even though neither of the words Taylor or ham appear on the package)? And if that is correct, then why wouldn't you specify Taylor Taylor ham when that's what you want?

At least you have finally admitted a few posts ago that pork roll is the correct term.
Nobody orders Case. Case is the worst of them.

Nobody orders Case. Case is the worst of them.
Case's mild is good. Case's tangy isn't fit for a dog. You've had Case's in a pork roll egg and cheese many times thinking it's Taylor Ham.
The biggest difference between Taylor Pork Roll on it's own has much more salt then Case's. I love both but have been buying ShopRite (Case's) for years now. Thick cut. Hatfield makes the worst "pork roll" as it's more like a very bad Canadian bacon that McDonald's uses. Neither are close to real delicious Canadian bacon!

I didn't admit it is pork roll- we know it is pork roll. Mr. Taylor invented pork roll and decided to call it Taylor Ham- I also like a good ham/egg/cheese sandwich too and never expect it to be Taylor Ham(pork roll) and would be pissed if they made that assumption.

But, everyone knows this- And we know all of you have the fall back of asking to find an actual "taylor ham"- ohhh you tricked us- we didn't realize it says pork roll on the package.

So- maybe the difference is just this- some really really good sales person convinced South Jersey that Taylor shouldn't own the market and buy my brand of what he invented. So- maybe you are right- in south jersey- just ask for pork roll- and it doesn't matter if it is Taylor or the other 20 brands that copied it.
Up here- they advertise Taylor Ham(yes, we know it is porkroll and not ham) - they serve the actual brand that they advertise.
You all can keep eating any of the other stuff and I am sure it is actually pretty good too- but it isn't the original.

But it's a trademark registered as Taylor Ham so no other company than Taylor Provisions product will be served if someone orders Taylor Ham .
But as I pointed out, that product will be:

"Goods and Services

Not Pork Roll. If you want Pork Roll from that company, you can order the trademarked prodcut "Taylor's", but not "Taylor Ham."

But it's a trademark registered as Taylor Ham so no other company than Taylor Provisions product will be served if someone orders Taylor Ham .
False. Again there is no such thing as Taylor Ham. Second the trademark is for the logo. You can't trademark something that doesn't exist as a product. Coke trademark is for an actual product. Taylor doesn't make Taylor Ham. If a diner uses that version of the trademark then it's safe to say you are getting Taylor Pork Roll.
All the home made menu signs of the phrase Taylor Ham is not legally bound to serve you Taylor Pork Roll. Besides as mentioned above you are probably getting a different product called Trenton pork roll made by Taylor is a diner or deli making a pork roll egg and cheese

I didn't admit it is pork roll- we know it is pork roll. Mr. Taylor invented pork roll and decided to call it Taylor Ham- I also like a good ham/egg/cheese sandwich too and never expect it to be Taylor Ham(pork roll) and would be pissed if they made that assumption.

But, everyone knows this- And we know all of you have the fall back of asking to find an actual "taylor ham"- ohhh you tricked us- we didn't realize it says pork roll on the package.

So- maybe the difference is just this- some really really good sales person convinced South Jersey that Taylor shouldn't own the market and buy my brand of what he invented. So- maybe you are right- in south jersey- just ask for pork roll- and it doesn't matter if it is Taylor or the other 20 brands that copied it.
Up here- they advertise Taylor Ham(yes, we know it is porkroll and not ham) - they serve the actual brand that they advertise.
You all can keep eating any of the other stuff and I am sure it is actually pretty good too- but it isn't the original.
No he didn't call it Taylor Ham. From day 1 it was called Taylor's Prepared Ham knowing it wasn't a true piece of ham.
Funny you Taylor Ham crowd think you are getting Taylor Pork Roll by asking for Taylor Ham every time. In a breakfast sandwich I doubt your are getting Taylor Pork Roll 50% of the time. Gullible loyalty

"Goods and Services

So even the Taylor Provisions Company recognizes that the proper name for the product is pork roll.

agree that the Taylor Provisions company recognizes that the proper name for the product is pork roll.But trademarked Taylor Ham name so anyone ordering Taylor Ham will get their product and not one from another company..

When it comes t liability, what's your take on someone ordering Taylor Ham, given another brand with a different ingredient in it and falling ill because of an allergic to that ingredient and if they can sue because they know what they call Taylor Ham is safe for them to eat.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
agree that the Taylor Provisions company recognizes that the proper name for the product is pork roll.But trademarked Taylor Ham name so anyone ordering Taylor Ham will get their product and not one from another company..

When it comes t liability, what's your take on someone ordering Taylor Ham, given another brand with a different ingredient in it and falling ill because of an allergic to that ingredient and if they can sue because they know what they call Taylor Ham is safe for them to eat.
Zero. You asked for pork roll, not a brand.

Reactions: TRU2RU
No he didn't call it Taylor Ham. From day 1 it was called Taylor's Prepared Ham knowing it wasn't a true piece of ham.
Funny you Taylor Ham crowd think you are getting Taylor Pork Roll by asking for Taylor Ham every time. In a breakfast sandwich I doubt your are getting Taylor Pork Roll 50% of the time. Gullible loyalty
might be true but if you get sick because the pork roll served has a different ingredient and you sue because you weren't told what they gave you, that place might be in trouble for not letting you know rgey don;t serve what you asked for and give you a choive to turn down what they serve
But all in all , it's Taylor Ham for me, despite that 1906 pure food act ruling.
z94vxx8aq9r01.jpg

I think you understand that when someone orders "Taylor Ham" using the trademark properly, they will get "PACKAGED CHOPPED SMOKED HAM".

I am not denying that some people misinformed people do misuse the trademark to order the pork roll product, but that does not make "Taylor Ham" the product pork roll.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT