ADVERTISEMENT

OT: May 23 Is National Pork Roll Day (Not National Taylor Ham Day)

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
There is no national Taylor Ham day. Thank you.

Our controversial-yet-beloved breakfast meat is the star of National Pork Roll Day, May 23, so to celebrate, take a look at these pork roll facts and stories then go get yourself a PRECSPK (Don't speak Jerseyan? That's a pork roll, egg and cheese with salt, pepper and ketchup.)

• Created in the mid-1850s by John Taylor, pork roll — a blend of pork, spices, salt and sugar — was originally called Taylor ham. In the early 1900s, changes in FDA guidelines regarding the definition of ham necessitated a name change. Taylor's Trenton-based Taylor Provisions Company sells Taylor brand pork roll and sliced ham.
  • In 2016, New Jersey Assemblyman Tim Eustace introduced a bill to declare the pork roll, egg and cheese the state sandwich of New Jersey. A sister bill did the same, but for Taylor ham.
  • There is a store in New Jersey dedicated to pork roll: The Pork Roll Store & More in Upper Freehold Township sells its own brand, Johnston Pork Roll, and has been open for more than a century.
  • If you really like pork roll, try the Slater Slider at Slater's Deli at Slater's Deli in Middletown: The sandwich has six thick slices of pork roll, two eggs, potatoes and four slices of cheese. In Ocean County, Jovo's Deli in Brick makes their Fat Jovo with at least four layers of pork roll, egg and cheese.
  • Pork roll curls when you cook it? Cut four small notches around the edges and it will cook flat.

Written in South Jersey…admits it was invented and called Taylor Ham..,
So- it is…Taylor Ham unless you are someone who just does everything the government tells you to do.

Never heard anyone use the “precspk” and why ruin the sandwich with ketchup- quite honestly, it is also the breakfast sandwich that does not need S&P either.

I don't call it Taylor Ham, but since John Taylor invented it, I can be more tolerant of those who do. I'm sure the entire board community is relieved to read that.
As a young-un, when the bennies would walk into the convenience store/grill I worked across from the beach, and asked for "Taylahh Ham and Cheese" with their New Yawk accent, the young smart asses behind the counter always wanted to respond with we don't have "Taylahh ham" here. Boss forbade us from doing that.

As a young-un, when the bennies would walk into the convenience store/grill I worked across from the beach, and asked for "Taylahh Ham and Cheese" with their New Yawk accent, the young smart asses behind the counter always wanted to respond with we don't have "Taylahh ham" here. Boss forbade us from doing that.
As a proud bennie, the only bennies I know that have a NY accent would have been from Jersey City. We make fun of them as well. I don't think NY even eats Taylor Ham. They are big on BEC.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
As a proud bennie, the only bennies I know that have a NY accent would have been from Jersey City. We make fun of them as well. I don't think NY even eats Taylor Ham. They are big on BEC.
You definitely have a tough time in NYC finding a deli/breakfast with pork roll.

Reactions: Section124
Much of the family emigrated to "the shore" from Bayonne. Took years for the elders of the family to lose the accent and "youse" guys.

Reactions: Section124
Befriended a manager/owner of a downtown deli I ordered from while working in financial district. I brought him in a 10lb log of pork roll and told him to put on the menu. But you can’t serve people that call it Taylor ham.( tell them you don’t have that product)

Friday I call and order 10 pork roll egg and cheese sandwiches for my desk. Started a feeding frenzy but the people from north Jersey couldn’t figure out why they couldn’t get a sandwich when they called in their order. I still get texts 20 years later about it.

Befriended a manager/owner of a downtown deli I ordered from while working in financial district. I brought him in a 10lb log of pork roll and told him to put on the menu. But you can’t serve people that call it Taylor ham.( tell them you don’t have that product)

Friday I call and order 10 pork roll egg and cheese sandwiches for my desk. Started a feeding frenzy but the people from north Jersey couldn’t figure out why they couldn’t get a sandwich when they called in their order. I still get texts 20 years later about it.
They couldn’t get it because you gave it the wrong name- you should feel bad you cost you deli a lot of money…just saying
Myself- I would have said, you are going to get clients that may call it TH or PR- it’s the same thing.

They couldn’t get it because you gave it the wrong name- you should feel bad you cost you deli a lot of money…just saying
Myself- I would have said, you are going to get clients that may call it TH or PR- it’s the same thing.
It was for the first week or so when it wasn’t on the menu yet. And only people that knew they offered it were on my floor. But no pork roll is the right and only name for the salty meat product we all love.

It was for the first week or so when it wasn’t on the menu yet. And only people that knew they offered it were on my floor. But no pork roll is the right and only name for the salty meat product we all love.
So many in NYC are NNJ people- if he put it on the menu as TH- they would have recognized it and the few people that are just slow, would have known it is what they call pork roll. Lol
You cost tge man easy money…🤪

So many in NYC are NNJ people- if he put it on the menu as TH- they would have recognized it and the few people that are just slow, would have known it is what they call pork roll. Lol
You cost tge man easy money…🤪
Yea don’t confuse the NNJ in NYC with the proper name on the menu Hahaahah.

Was always a debate between north and central/south jersey on the floor. Freaking idiots from Connecticut tried to compare it to fried bologna. Who even knew that was a thing!

Yea don’t confuse the NNJ in NYC with the proper name on the menu Hahaahah.

Was always a debate between north and central/south jersey on the floor. Freaking idiots from Connecticut tried to compare it to fried bologna. Who even knew that was a thing!
It doesn’t compare but fried bologna is pretty damn good- similar to the taste of splitting a hotdog and frying it

Some people just order what it was originally called : Taylor Ham
"Created in the mid-1850s by John Taylor, pork roll — a blend of pork, spices, salt and sugar — was originally called Taylor ham."
ordering Taylor Ham is making sure you get the type of pork roll you want, just like ordering a coke is wanting Coca- Cola and not a Pepsi.

I have no issue with ketchup and pepper. But it's salty enough from the pork roll and American cheese. Don't add more salt.
Yeah if I'm ordering it at a deli I'll ask for pepper and ketchup. When I make it at home I just add brown sauce. I also keep the yolk runny when I make it.

Reactions: LeapinLou
I think you're giving the short shrift on this May 23rd to World Turtle Day.

Are you a turtle?

Meh if the egg isn't runny then it needs something so it isn't so dry.
not ketchup...lol Ketchup has exactly 2 reasons to exist- hamburgers and french fries- not eggs, hotdogs, home fries or meatloaf. you can use it as a cooking ingredient or to make a really good BBQ sauce- but that is it

not ketchup...lol Ketchup has exactly 2 reasons to exist- hamburgers and french fries- not eggs, hotdogs, home fries or meatloaf. you can use it as a cooking ingredient or to make a really good BBQ sauce- but that is it
I prefer the yolk to be a condiment in addition to some brown sauce anyway, but just curious--do you put any condiment on your pork roll, egg, and cheese, or do you actually prefer it dry?

I prefer the yolk to be a condiment in addition to some brown sauce anyway, but just curious--do you put any condiment on your pork roll, egg, and cheese, or do you actually prefer it dry?
Sometimes just pepper but it really doesn’t need it.

Happy Canadian Bacon Day everyone!

200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: MADHAT1
So- it is…Taylor Ham unless you are someone who just does everything the government tells you to do.

Never heard anyone use the “precspk” and why ruin the sandwich with ketchup- quite honestly, it is also the breakfast sandwich that does not need S&P either.

Why pick a second fight 😊?

Asbury Park is not South Jersey 🌊⛱️

However, they do this annoying thing in southern Monmouth County near the shore. Anything north of “the bridge” is north Jersey.

So who knows?

I never had pork roll until I went to Rutgers and they made it at my fraternity. Thin sliced, no egg, cheese and ketchup. That’s how we made it and that the only way I like it to this day. The thought of putting eggs on it (and I like eggs) is gross to me.

But that’s just what I like

Why they changed it, I can't say, people just liked it (Pork Roll!) better that way! See below.
Per your OP, I narrowed it down to this one simple fact above. So Taylor ham it was first named and therefore is the one and only. You are welcome.

Happy Canadian Bacon Day everyone!

200w.gif
Wrong day and it's called Back Bacon in Canada
>In the United States, "Canadian" bacon is plain lean "back bacon" made from the loin, and it is trichina treated but must be cooked before using. It is simply called "back bacon" in Canada, where "Canadian bacon" is traditionally unsmoked back bacon that has been sweet pickle cured and coated in yellow cornmeal<

Wrong day and it's called Back Bacon in Canada
>In the United States, "Canadian" bacon is plain lean "back bacon" made from the loin, and it is trichina treated but must be cooked before using. It is simply called "back bacon" in Canada, where "Canadian bacon" is traditionally unsmoked back bacon that has been sweet pickle cured and coated in yellow cornmeal<
And if Mr. Back- came up with the recipe and called it "Back Ham" - Canada makes them change it to Canadian Bacon- wouldn't people that call it "Back Ham" still be correct?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT