ADVERTISEMENT

Hold up on Hurley?

RUinSC

All Conference
Aug 10, 2011
Could be that his "antics" are too close to Mike Rice. Maybe it's BS if that's the case, but Rice's legacy will haunt us for a long, long time.

He's likely torn. I mean this is theoretically a good opportunity for him, but a damn lot can go wrong and it could kill his career.If you figure you're probably going to get one shot at a job like this and if it goes wrong that's it, would you want that shot to be at the very worst program in the country? Maybe, given enough guarantees.

He's likely torn. I mean this is theoretically a good opportunity for him, but a damn lot can go wrong and it could kill his career.If you figure you're probably going to get one shot at a job like this and if it goes wrong that's it, would you want that shot to be at the very worst program in the country? Maybe, given enough guarantees.
The "worst job in the country" stuff is BS in my mind. We have a lot to offer, and a self-confident coach is going to think he can be successful here. And if he is, it will be a major accomplishment. URI had been a very solid program for decades before Hurley got there. His record so far is pretty much in keeping with what they had done before. So no miracle working there (but maybe at Wagner). This is an excellent match for Hurley, and it seems like he has been pushing it. If he is so strong, why does he not seem to have other suitors?

The "worst job in the country" stuff is BS in my mind. We have a lot to offer, and a self-confident coach is going to think he can be successful here. And if he is, it will be a major accomplishment. URI had been a very solid program for decades before Hurley got there. His record so far is pretty much in keeping with what they had done before. So no miracle working there (but maybe at Wagner). This is an excellent match for Hurley, and it seems like he has been pushing it. If he is so strong, why does he not seem to have other suitors?
My sentiments exactly. Climb aboard and make it happen. Step up or step off.

Reactions: satnom

this

Reactions: Scarlet Shack

its the worst job of the power 5..power 6...this goes for any candidate not just Hurley..thats reality, could it be a good job..perhaps, but right now in totality its the worst..we have not been to the tourney in 25 years, have outdated facilities and have lost 39 of 46 games

Maybe. Worst facilities? Likely. Worst recent history? Likely. Worst recent administrative support? Yup. Worst recent press. Probably. Worst alumni support? Probably. Worst performance this year? Maybe not, we might only be 2nd or 3rd worst.

What we have is two things: a good location and a good conference. I guess you could add low expectations depending upon how you look at it.

He is not 'so strong' we are going after him hard because he has ties to the area and very few people without strong ties to the area will step into this mess. He doesn't have other suitors and we need to push hard, for a local guy. That tells you all you need to know about whether or not we have 'a lot of offer'.

Maybe. Worst facilities? Likely. Worst recent history? Likely. Worst recent administrative support? Yup. Worst recent press. Probably. Worst alumni support? Probably. Worst performance this year? Maybe not, we might only be 2nd or 3rd worst.

What we have is two things: a good location and a good conference. I guess you could add low expectations depending upon how you look at it.

He is not 'so strong' we are going after him hard because he has ties to the area and very few people without strong ties to the area will step into this mess. He doesn't have other suitors and we need to push hard, for a local guy. That tells you all you need to know about whether or not we have 'a lot of offer'.

post more on the hoops board because I do not think there is one poster on any of the boards that I agree with the most and makes the most sense. I think people need to wake up to how bad the program is perceived, its why Jay Williams is getting an interview. Im not sure he would even get an interview at James Madison but he is here

To the extent he is at the top of the list he is likely over playing his hand. Did I hear that he and lonergan have the same agent?

Last edited:

Where do get this from? Our support will go nuts if we get a coach that can win, and give us some hope. Our fans, for what we have endured, have been great.

Could be that his "antics" are too close to Mike Rice. Maybe it's BS if that's the case, but Rice's legacy will haunt us for a long, long time.
The hold up is Hurley. Not us.
It's not even close. Right now this is the worst P5 job in the country. Hopefully Hobbs will change that.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
its the worst job of the power 5..power 6...this goes for any candidate not just Hurley..thats reality, could it be a good job..perhaps, but right now in totality its the worst..we have not been to the tourney in 25 years, have outdated facilities and have lost 39 of 46 games
We know all that stuff. The only thing that really matters in any of it is the facilities. The issue is what is the job looking forward? Again, facilities a negative, but are new ones going to be built? After that, a coach doesn't care that others failed; he looks at what the opportunities are, and from that perspective, we are far from the worst. Look at your favorite, Hurley. In three years, if what you argue about him is true, he could have high quality recruits playing for us and could be competitive in the B1G. Not top tier, but competitive, and maybe NIT bound. If so, he would be a miracle worker, and would be sought out by richer programs. Can he do that at URI? I don't see anybody else knocking down his door. The facilities are really the only big issue. We have an AD who loves basketball and who seems to have a hell of a lot of say in what goes on. And we sit in a basketball rich talent area, and play in a great league.

post more on the hoops board because I do not think there is one poster on any of the boards that I agree with the most and makes the most sense. I think people need to wake up to how bad the program is perceived, its why Jay Williams is getting an interview. Im not sure he would even get an interview at James Madison but he is here

Jay Williams got an interview here because it's a state-posted, public job, he has (some) credentials, and he pushed - hard - for an interview. We didn't go out and hunt the guy down. Geeze BAC yeah, IT'S BAD, but let things play out already.

can I get an interview too...what credentials..he has never coached, I would think one has to have prior experience on the resume otherwise its a bullshit waste of time

If they have the same agent then Hurley may know how much competition or leverage he truly has.

Not if lonergan has made it clear to his agent he is only interested to gain leverage with GW.

Where do get this from? Our support will go nuts if we get a coach that can win, and give us some hope. Our fans, for what we have endured, have been great.
Considering that most new facilities across the country are being largely funded by donations and we can't even get a practice court... I stand by the worst Alumni support.

I hope it's Rutgers getting the cold feet. Hurley isn't the answer.

I don't think we are going to get the answer. I think we have to get the best coach we can get. I have to imagine Hurley is near the top of coaches that are realistic for this job.

I think everyone needs to be patient here

Mooby post is really dead on

He has a lot of risk in taking this job....and he needs to be sure he is up for the challenge and the work involved.

If he a coach you want, he wasn't thinking about the Rutgers job during the season while cosching his team. He was all about Rhode Island until the season was over.

Let him thinking on it. He was likely just offered the job yesterday...it's 24 hours.
Can't string along forever, but it's not awful he did not decide in 24 hours as the RU job right now isn't a slam dunk job for anyone

Reactions: bac2therac
I think everyone needs to be patient here

Mooby post is really dead on

He has a lot of risk in taking this job....and he needs to be sure he is up for the challenge and the work involved.

If he a coach you want, he wasn't thinking about the Rutgers job during the season while cosching his team. He was all about Rhode Island until the season was over.

Let him thinking on it. He was likely just offered the job yesterday...it's 24 hours.
Can't string along forever, but it's not awful he did not decide in 24 hours as the RU job right now isn't a slam dunk job for anyone
Risk? He is leaving a small school for a big salary. What risk? He is at his high water mark now. Hopefully he thinks as foolish as you do

I'm also sick and tired of people claiming this si the worst job in the country. It all comes down to who can recruit and then coach them up. Who ever thought Wagner or for that matter Rhode Island would be attractive places to coach. Living in the Boston area I'm familiar with URI and it gets very little publicity , it's an unattractive campus with a mediocre academic rep , and a poor step sister to Providence..Yet Hurley took it and thrived. Yes URI had Lamar Odum but that's about it...

Last edited:
Risk? He is leaving a small school for a big salary. What risk? He is at his high water mark now. Hopefully he thinks as foolish as you do

wrong...URI is a better program than RU right now. it gets more support and has better talent currently. Hurley lost his best player to injury this year that derailed NCAA hopes this year so everything is setting up for next year. He has a NBA prospect plus some big time talent coming in. Some basketball analyst think he is poised to win the A10 next year so he is not at his high water mark and can do that and get better offers than RU next year.

Reactions: MoobyCow
I don't have any insight into the negotiations but if I were a betting man I would say that both parties want to make this happen. I'm guessing that Hurley has asked for a couple of guarantees that are taking Hobbs a little bit of time to confirm. Again no inside information. But that's what I would say if someone put a gun to my head.

wrong...URI is a better program than RU right now. it gets more support and has better talent currently. Hurley lost his best player to injury this year that derailed NCAA hopes this year so everything is setting up for next year. He has a NBA prospect plus some big time talent coming in. Some basketball analyst think he is poised to win the A10 next year so he is not at his high water mark and can do that and get better offers than RU next year.
But where is the $ risk? One Rutgers contract is 4 or 5 years at URI. Or more. And he can always go back to a crappy program after. Zero risk.

I'm sorry, but you have to win LESS games at RU to get to the eventual dance. You have to win significantly more games at a mid-major and schedule extremely well AND hope you don't get hosed like teams do every year if you have an off-game in your conference tournament (ie Monmouth, St. Bonaventure etc.)....URI did OK this year, but frankly they played horrific offense for long stretches and the injury argument only goes so far......I'm only VERY interested in Hurley, because he'll enforce that we play defense and guard people, which is the fastest way to rebuild and by default he should land 2 kids a year that can help RU. There is no easier job than RU's, the excuses and hurdles are so overblown, it's not even funny.

We went from 650K with Mike Rice to 1.2M with Eddie and we cashed him out with 2 full years to go (something unheard of in RU's past history) to almost $2M in less than 5-6 years time on coaching salary and compensation and the last "excuse" was, RU doesn't have the money to support hiring a quality coach....$2M a year is significant money in any conference, facilities or no facilities. I know there is significant interest in this job, despite the appearance that there is this "no one will come here BS", that the media spins to try and leverage RU or make RU look bad.

If you said you had to deal with no facilities and Barchi and 700K as your salary, fine, your argument holds water......but 1.5M to 2M is not chump change.....Anyone still saying same ol' RU just is bitter or not willing to accept the changes here.

And because Eddie Jordan couldn't coach, doesn't mean we don't have decent talent.....Sanders, Johnson and Williams for the next year or two, is an undersized backcourt, but is not god-awful.....its not like we have no pieces to work with and you can still get hired and add a piece or two quickly. Whomever takes this job has a better roster than Rice and Eddie started with in Year One.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT