ADVERTISEMENT

Honors College at Rutgers-Newark

The new Honors Form was originally slated to open this September,but I have not seen any articles lately. Will be good to see 400 more Rutgers students living in campus.I have been saying this for decades,the university has to find ways to get the Rutgers students at Camden and Newark to the football games. Free tickets and transportation,plus Rutgers Football posters around campus,Free Rutgers T shirts,etc. We are talking about tens of thousands of potential Rutgers future fans.

I hate to say this, but you have to remember that Camden is 75 minutes from New Brunswick. While most students at Camden do not live there, they live in places that are at comparable distances. That's a long drive, especially for the noon starts we have so often. I'd like to see more done, but unfortunately there's a real limit to how many students you can draw from Camden for games. It's even harder now that Temple is a rare opponent; Camden students turned out well for the Temple game at Lincoln Financial Field.

I'm happy that the Newark honors college is doing so well. I think Camden has the same.

Anyone know if admission to any of the HCs (NB, Newark, Camden) is automatically evaluated as part of all undergrad applications (or at minimum have to check a box somewhere on the form to request consideration)? Or does an interested applicant have to submit a separate application (and/or provide additional info/essay) for HC consideration?

In the competition for quality students, I wonder if an admission offer for the HC at Newark or Camden, along with some merit scholarship $$$, would be a draw for some students over non-HC admission at NB?

Assume the prospective enrollee is intending to be an arts & sciences or business student (or a few other programs that are available at all three campuses) versus pursuing a course of study basically only offered at the flagship (Pharma, Eng'g, Ag-related, et.al.) where it would be a de facto decision based on availability of major.

Anyone know if admission to any of the HCs (NB, Newark, Camden) is automatically evaluated as part of all undergrad applications (or at minimum have to check a box somewhere on the form to request consideration)? Or does an interested applicant have to submit a separate application (and/or provide additional info/essay) for HC consideration?

In the competition for quality students, I wonder if an admission offer for the HC at Newark or Camden, along with some merit scholarship $$$, would be a draw for some students over non-HC admission at NB?

Assume the prospective enrollee is intending to be an arts & sciences or business student (or a few other programs that are available at all three campuses) versus pursuing a course of study basically only offered at the flagship (Pharma, Eng'g, Ag-related, et.al.) where it would be a de facto decision based on availability of major.

My guess is that the answer to your second question is "no." I can't imagine New Brunswick giving the other campuses money to help them compete with New Brunswick. But I could be wrong.

My guess is that the answer to your second question is "no." I can't imagine New Brunswick giving the other campuses money to help them compete with New Brunswick. But I could be wrong.

Interesting, the thought never really crossed my mind that NB would control the purse strings in that situation. For that matter, I thought the other campuses have some autonomy to dole out scholarships, and if so, was assuming that unbeknownst to anyone on the Rutgers side, a prospective student is sitting at the dining table with his parents potentially deciding between the two alternatives. I didn't see it as openly competitive as far as Rutgers is concerned, but perhaps a central admissions office and its enrollment management team would be tracking this case by case.

Interesting, the thought never really crossed my mind that NB would control the purse strings in that situation. For that matter, I thought the other campuses have some autonomy to dole out scholarships, and if so, was assuming that unbeknownst to anyone on the Rutgers side, a prospective student is sitting at the dining table with his parents potentially deciding between the two alternatives. I didn't see it as openly competitive as far as Rutgers is concerned, but perhaps a central admissions office and its enrollment management team would be tracking this case by case.

I am not sure who makes the decision on whether to give a kid a scholarship to Camden. I can tell you that the amount of money that is available for scholarships at Camden is determined by New Brunswick. The last time I checked, New Brunswick made all admissions decisions for the campuses, and I'd be surprised if New Brunswick has decided to delegate scholarship-awarding to the campuses.

The new Honors Form was originally slated to open this September,but I have not seen any articles lately. Will be good to see 400 more Rutgers students living in campus.I have been saying this for decades,the university has to find ways to get the Rutgers students at Camden and Newark to the football games. Free tickets and transportation,plus Rutgers Football posters around campus,Free Rutgers T shirts,etc. We are talking about tens of thousands of potential Rutgers future fans.

I mean, Camden and Newark are kind of like the directional schools of the Rutgers system. Different mascots, different leagues, different alumni associations, different history, etc.

I mean, Camden and Newark are kind of like the directional schools of the Rutgers system. Different mascots, different leagues, different alumni associations, different history, etc.

Yes, they have always been entirely separate, and remain so to this day. I don't think it's right to call them "directional" schools. Directional schools like Eastern Michigan are entirely separate institutions from the main university, while Camden and Newark are full members of Rutgers and all faculty tenure decisions are evaluated in New Brunswick.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Yeah, they're not really directional schools along with the negative connotation that might have. Just that they are smaller campuses than the flagship of a larger university (not a loose group of multiple universities under a system/umbrella). Satellite or regional campus are sometimes the terms used even if those are not totally appropriate. Governance and other structural differences in administration may be a bit different than in any other comparable situation but I usually maintain that on the surface at least, one of the most analagous in the country to Rutgers is one of its conference mates...U of Michigan, with its Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint campuses.

Last edited:
Yeah, they're not really directional schools along with the negative connotation that might have. Just that they are smaller campuses than the flagship of a larger university (not a loose group of multiple universities under a system/umbrella). Satellite campus is sometimes the term used even if that's not totally appropriate. Governance and other structural differences in administration may be a bit different than in any other comparable situation but I usually maintain that on the surface at least, one of the most analagous in the country to Rutgers is one of its conference mates...U of Michigan, with its Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint campuses.

Perhaps sometime in the future, another analogy will be the ten campuses of the University of California, where all are excellent, although a few are more excellent than the rest. This may actually happen because the central administration does not want the New Brunswick/Piscataway campuses to grow, and so more resources may go to Newark and Camden. Doubt it will happen in my lifetime, though,.

Directional schools like Eastern Michigan are entirely separate institutions from the main university

Agree that they are separate institutions (EMU, CMU, WMU, other?), but with that particular collection, what is the "main university" you are referring to? Or did you mean system? I think they're separate but perhaps are part of a 'system' that may be governed centrally with certain administrative or political functions. That system, if it exists between the multiple directional Michigans and perhaps even Michigan Tech, Wayne State, Ferris State (and any others?), yet may not include MSU and UM. My guess is that these latter two are not part of some overarching system for the overall state.

Last edited:
Agree that they are separate institutions (EMU, CMU, WMU, other?), but with that particular collection, what is the "main university" you are referring to? Or did you mean system? I think they're separate but perhaps are part of a 'system' that may be governed centrally with certain administrative or political functions. That system, if it exists between the multiple directional Michigans and perhaps even Michigan Tech, Wayne State, Ferris State (and any others?), but may not include MSU and UM. My guess is that these latter two are not part of some overarching system for the overall state.

You are right that this is a hard line to draw. Take Northern Illinois. So far as I know, it is entirely separate from the University of Illinois. My impression is the same is true of the Universities of Central Florida and South Florida: they have little if no connection with U.Fla. That is not true of Camden and Newark, which is why they bear the Rutgers name rather than some directional name.

Perhaps sometime in the future, another analogy will be the ten campuses of the University of California, where all are excellent, although a few are more excellent than the rest. This may actually happen because the central administration does not want the New Brunswick/Piscataway campuses to grow, and so more resources may go to Newark and Camden. Doubt it will happen in my lifetime, though,.

Perhaps down the road. But in the current day I don't think admissions, for example, is centralized at the Board of Regents level so Berkeley and LA (and the others) are competing for many of the same students. Getting back to in terms of intercollegiate competition, Cal and UCLA are comparable and part of same athletic conference so their respective teams compete directly against each other. In certain sports, even some of the other eight UC campuses also compete at least at the same level (D1) while some of the others are D3, or even mixed D1 & D3, depending on the sports at the individual campus.

In Rutgers' case, the two satellite campuses sponsor D3 athletics (and share a conference for most sports) which I believe might also be the case for UM Dearborn and Flint. Neither Rutgers' nor Michigan's satellite campuses play sports against the flagship (except men's BB exhibitions it seems) but they do against each other. Notwithstanding the one-off situation of men's volleyball at Rutgers-Newark in the late 70s competing and even thriving at D1 (4 straight ncaa final fours) while NB didn't sponsor its own team. R-N has since dropped down its men's VB program to D3 a few years ago.

Last edited:
That is not true of Camden and Newark, which is why they bear the Rutgers name rather than some directional name.

Indeed.

Alternatively, recall how @lawmatt78 used to champion the notion that with a non-geographically based name such as Rutgers, it should only be used to identify a single campus rather than a multi-campus institution. I didn't necessarily agree with that because I don't see how it's all that much different than a state name. There's nothing inherently directional about the three U of Michigan regional campuses.

Perhaps down the road. But in the current day I don't think admissions, for example, is centralized at the Board of Regents level so Berkeley and LA (and the others) are competing for many of the same students. Getting back to in terms of intercollegiate competition, Cal and UCLA are comparable and part of same athletic conference so their respective teams compete directly against each other. In certain sports, even some of the other eight UC campuses also compete at least at the same level (D1) while some of the others are D3, or even mixed D1 & D3, depending on the sports at the individual campus.

In Rutgers' case, the two satellite campuses sponsor D3 athletics (and share a conference for most sports) which I believe might also be the case for UM Dearborn and Flint. Neither Rutgers' nor Michigan's satellite campuses play sports against the flagship (except men's BB exhibitions it seems) but they do against each other. Notwithstanding the one-off situation of men's volleyball at Rutgers-Newark in the late 70s competing and even thriving at D1 (4 straight ncaa final fours) while NB didn't sponsor its own team. R-N has since dropped down its men's VB program to D3 a few years ago.

You're right that in the UC system, each campus makes its own admissions decisions. The last I knew, that is not true here. As you say, not all of the UC campuses are division 1, but the D1 schools do from time to time play the non-D1 campuses, e.g. UCLA playing UC-Irvine.

Indeed.

Alternatively, recall how @lawmatt78 used to champion the notion that with a non-geographically based name such as Rutgers, it should only be used to identify a single campus rather than a multi-campus institution. I didn't necessarily agree with that because I don't see how it's all that much different than a state name. There's nothing inherently directional about the three U of Michigan regional campuses.

With all respect to @lawmatt78, I never understood the logic behind his argument. It struck me as an ad hoc attempt to exclude Newark and Camden from Rutgers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT