ADVERTISEMENT

Hope the Vols land JG, but if Rutgers can keep all of the NJ talent

Cledus Snowvol

Heisman Winner
Oct 22, 2007
home, you'd be a major player in your conference. IMO, only Ohio and maybe Pennsylvania (toss-up) produces better talent as far as states go in the Big Ten. What held you back in the past was not playing in a power conference.

We need to keep players like JG here in order to do this so it's kind of burning a candle at both ends w/ that statement.

Originally posted by Cledus Snowvol:
home, you'd be a major player in your conference. IMO, only Ohio and maybe Pennsylvania (toss-up) produces better talent as far as states go in the Big Ten. What held you back in the past was not playing in a power conference.
Yeah because Florida, Texas and CAL are recruitment slouches in the B10 LOL

Originally posted by mikefla:

What I'm saying is schools that have fertile recruiting grounds in their own state have a head start on their competition. I think your school is a sleeping giant. You can get lots of talent from your state right off the bat whereas a school like Iowa or Minnesota has to go out of state. You can build from your state and once you produce, you can cherry pick from the nation. What hurt you in the past was being in the Big East. There were likely studs in your state who decided to head out of state for a chance to play in a better conference. You're in a power conference now. For greedy reasons, I'm hoping the Vols land JG, but I think bright days are ahead for you.

What I'm saying is schools that have fertile recruiting grounds in their own state have a head start on their competition. I think your school is a sleeping giant. You can get lots of talent from your state right off the bat whereas a school like Iowa or Minnesota has to go out of state. You can build from your state and once you produce, you can cherry pick from the nation. What hurt you in the past was being in the Big East. There were likely studs in your state who decided to head out of state for a chance to play in a better conference. You're in a power conference now. For greedy reasons, I'm hoping the Vols land JG, but I think bright days are ahead for you.
exactly. It may take a couple of years to take that next step up but we will eventually. A strong Rutgers also hurts those schools dependent on out-of-state talent, like : Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Nebraska. NJ has supplied a ton of talent to those schools over the years. All of the schools with poor recruiting grounds are in the B1G West division. Something to keep an eye on for sure.

Originally posted by ruready07:

exactly. It may take a couple of years to take that next step up but we will eventually. A strong Rutgers also hurts those schools dependent on out-of-state talent, like : Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Nebraska. NJ has supplied a ton of talent to those schools over the years. All of the schools with poor recruiting grounds are in the B1G West division. Something to keep an eye on for sure.
^ this guy understands what I'm saying. The state of TN is producing a lot more talent than we did 10 to 15 years ago due to a population boom around Nashville. Compare the Rivals state rankings over the last 5 years and you'll see that TN and NJ are near mirror images of each other in producing 4 and 5 star talent. It's going to help both schools get back faster in their respective conferences.

Originally posted by BeantownKnight:
We have to play Tennessee again. A nice home-and-home would be great.
I'd love to see it. I made my first trip to NYC in 2009 and stayed in Secaucus, NJ. I loved NYC as well as the New Jersey side. I'd like to make a trip back and see a Vol-RU football game.

There is some history there,, that's for sure.

I hope he stays home but the lure of the SEC, at a school with elite faculties (we all seen the crazy videos) and playing QB for the same school that produced Peyton Manning might be too much for dear old Rutgers to overcome.

We don't pay our HS players like teams in the SEC does, so it'll never happen.

Nor do we pay our coaches or recruiters. Well, we used to, when we were in the Big East.....but somehow there is no more money.

Originally posted by RCTrooper:

We don't pay our HS players like teams in the SEC does, so it'll never happen.

Nor do we pay our coaches or recruiters. Well, we used to, when we were in the Big East.....but somehow there is no more money.
Trooper,

The dude came here and posted some solid stuff without a hint of flaming or rudeness. Did you really have to go where you did with this?

Thanks Vol. Hope we can play you guys in the future.

some of our fans are always salty, don't worry about them.

You are saying what we all have been saying. We are hoping in 3 hours we are steps closer to that dream.

. I am sure that Archie was thrilled by Peyton's decision Not to stay home and play for the REBELS.
Originally posted by Scarlet_Scourge:

I hope he stays home but the lure of the SEC, at a school with elite faculties (we all seen the crazy videos) and playing QB for the same school that produced Peyton Manning might be too much for dear old Rutgers to overcome.

Before our recent visit to Lincoln, Knoxville was clearly the road venue with the nicest fans in my experience. Now they have competition.

Originally posted by beaced:
I am sure that Archie was thrilled by Peyton's decision Not to stay home and play for the REBELS.
Originally posted by Scarlet_Scourge:

beaced,

There was a 30 For 30 special on the Mannings, and Archie talked about Peyton's decision to go to UTjr, and the public's reaction in Mississippi wasn't pleasant, to say the least. Archie was called every name in the book, and it was rough on him and the family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT