ADVERTISEMENT

Horrible Program

Against that paper soft schedule, Clawson went 6-6 in year 3 and went to a bowl. The was stuck at 7-8 wins against that miserable schedule for years before breaking through. It takes time. Add to that that Clawson followed Jim Grobe and they never got Ash’d.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is ever going to confuse the ACC Atlantic division for the B1G East division.

Reactions: RUSK97 and RUfromNJ
Oregon State was the Rutgers under Ash of the Pacific Northwest. Simply an awful team overshadowed by the Ducks. Compare what is going on in Corvallis with what’s happening in Piscataway.
BS. Oregon State was bad. Really bad, but they were never Ash awful. They lost a lot of games but the scores were’t nearly as lopsided. I love what Smith is doing there, but tell me how he did his third year.

Against that paper soft schedule, Clawson went 6-6 in year 3 and went to a bowl. The was stuck at 7-8 wins against that miserable schedule for years before breaking through. It takes time. Add to that that Clawson followed Jim Grobe and they never got Ash’d.
Wake Forest is in a state with two other ACC programs, both of which compete for talent and are more desirable. Rutgers has no in state competition. It is what it is. People expecting different results from Schiano this time around will probably be disappointed.

Reactions: WasatRutgers
BS. Oregon State was bad. Really bad, but they were never Ash awful. They lost a lot of games but the scores were’t nearly as lopsided. I love what Smith is doing there, but tell me how he did his third year.
That’s quite true. I was being unfair to compare them literally to the Ash teams. But they were very bad. I remain less sanguine about RU’s resurgence.

Reactions: RUSK97
Oregon State was the Rutgers under Ash of the Pacific Northwest. Simply an awful team overshadowed by the Ducks. Compare what is going on in Corvallis with what’s happening in Piscataway.
And that team found a way to beat USC a couple times

for anyone to believe we need long time for rebuild is beyond absurd. For anyone not to see that the coaching staff is failing is beyond ignorant, For anyone to fail to see that the inability to have a functioning offense with qb's that are developed as anything other than abject failure on Greg's part is beyond homerism. Too many settle for less or make excuses, shame on you because you're fking pathetic. Demand more, get more

It could be worse guys. What if we hired someone like Mario Cristobal? He just lost to Middle Tennessee State and he inherited elite talent, elite coaching salary pools, elite donor support, and he gets to play against inferior competition. I’d say we dodged a bullet and are lucky to have the program we do!

My friend with a very good QB we are light years ahead in any rebuilding everyone talks about, instead it’s like having your boots stuck in the mud and everyone else passes you bye, not being able to bring in a good QB in on the head coach /GS.
The OC knows how To draw up a high scoring offense. He’s just needs the right gun slinger. They are out there, just have to entice one to come for a season to get the ball rolling.

Reactions: Zimm80
Wake Forest is in a state with two other ACC programs, both of which compete for talent and are more desirable. Rutgers has no in state competition. It is what it is. People expecting different results from Schiano this time around will probably be disappointed.
Did you just kick Duke out of the ACC? Or NC State?

Reactions: PSU_Nut
It didn't work in the Big East, it really won't work in the Big Ten. But it is what they all demanded. And some of them are happy with mediocrity or less.
FIFY.. we are far from mediocrity in the B1G.

Their D is really good. Giving up 14 out of the gate with an INT and fumble is devastating. Greg or OC didn’t do that. Game was even in first half except for score. We don’t have a QB. I don’t get it.

That being said, I can’t understand why
Teams like wake forest take Clemson to double OT while we constantly get blown out by the top half of the BIG. It’s maddening.
Wake has the money and is lucky enough to have a great coach, a great AD(thanks to Tenn), and a president that supports athletics. A lot of people know Wake is the smallest school in P5 but don’t know Wake has the second best facility in ACC.

Reactions: noble106
Wake has the money and is lucky enough to have a great coach, a great AD(thanks to Tenn), and a president that supports athletics. A lot of people know Wake is the smallest school in P5 but don’t know Wake has the second best facility in ACC.
What I'm wondering is if Schiano isn't getting the support he needs from the AD.

Does anyone else think it's possible that our AD is hurting us with recruiting?

I wouldn't freak out. Good crowd turnout and good talent.

Losing a crossover game is no big deal. Winning games against East teams is. You have to play them every year

Crossover games are tough because of the lack of familiarity

Reactions: shields
What I'm wondering is if Schiano isn't getting the support he needs from the AD.

Financial perspective?
I was wondering when we can see the master plans of the field house, SHI renovation, and RAC renovation. It’s been years.

When Wake hired Susan Wente, a lot of fans were concerned that a female president from Vandy might not be very supportive to the athletics programs. But wow. She went to games, rode on the Deacon motorcycle several times, and went to several road game pep rally.

Given all the potential player movement, which admittedly works both ways, the window for building a program should be shorter than GS 1.0.

It could be worse guys. What if we hired someone like Mario Cristobal? He just lost to Middle Tennessee State and he inherited elite talent, elite coaching salary pools, elite donor support, and he gets to play against inferior competition. I’d say we dodged a bullet and are lucky to have the program we do!
Mario Cristobal vs Kyle Flood circa 2012. Who knows, but I think Mario might’ve been better for the program.

Mario Cristobal vs Kyle Flood circa 2012. Who knows, but I think Mario might’ve been better for the program.
I'd of taken Mario here although Kyle could coach gameday pretty well. Kyle is a good coach, not a headcoach

I think if that was the case then GS would walk away and either go somewhere else to coach defense or get into consulting .

#4 Michigan 34 vs Maryland 27

#14 Penn St 33 Central Michigan 14

Minnesota 34 Michigan St. 7

Cincinnati. 45 Indiana 24

Iowa. 27 Rutgers 10

#3 Ohio St 52 vs Wisconsin 21

Purdue 28, FAU 26

Miami (OH) 17, Northwestern 14

Middle Tennessee 44 Miami 31

Reactions: ScarletDave
QB position is and always has been the problem at Rutgers
Should have gone to transfer portal last year and every year moving forward, can’t recruit them or develop them!!!!
It’s been noted a bunch in this thread and I agree, qb play continues to be a problem area.

But i think the answer, at least in the near term needs to be Wimsatt. Transfer portal? We’ve tried that a bunch over the past however many years and the results haven’t been good there either.

Now when can we expect Wimsatt back, and more importantly when can we expect him to bring a positive impact?

Really, this is just dumb, let’s ignore the facts and demonstrate a clear understanding that that we don’t understand what it takes to build a program that the previous two coaches totally ran into the ground.
Ohio state, Michigan, Penn st. And Wisconsin have 5 years rosters of primarily 4, some 5 and some high 3 star recruits on there rosters, why because they are established programs with tradition and continuity. We are trying to establish a tradition, and build continuity, not to mention turn over a roster that severely lacked talent. Even if Schiano could recruit on par with those teams, he would still be 3 or more years behind the talent curve, he must build a winning culture, establish a tradition and recruit on par with the upper level and of course they will “wait” for us to catch up,
The next level of the Big includes the Iowa’s and Minnesota’s that have established a tradition and built continuity, they know who they are, and what they are will be reasonably good year over year.
The rest of the league is trying to figure out a way to at least get into the middle of the pack with there 3 star rosters with a handful of 4 stars sprinkled in.
Schiano is making progress, we have a pretty good defense the offense is clearly not there yet, we have little room for error like three turnovers two which went for scores.
Would we like to see this move faster absolutely but nobody is coming to RU and going to be a top tier program in 2-3 years.
So let’s not ignore reality, and yes Ihio st. Will probably hang 50 on us next weekend just like they did to Wisc last night. Hopefully the ramp up will be move a little faster, but we are not going to wake up tomorrow and play toe to toe with OSU, Mich, PSU in our division

Geez-a loss to an Iowa team with a solid D after two bad turnover scrores and the program is horrible?

Many either have forgotten or really didnt have the capcity to contemplate how bad the Ash years were and how non competitive things were.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT