ADVERTISEMENT

How early can Rutgers accept Pinstripe Bowl bid?

Are the bowl selection actually an ordered draft or is it a “collective assignment” where the conference works with the eligible bows to set up certain matchups and/or destinations for teams?

Just because we’re “next best after Iowa” doesn’t mean overall for the conference sending us to Pinstripe isn’t best.

Play this poker hand all the way out! Rutgers has cards to be seen before this season ends!

The Pinstripe bowl is NOT the answer. Vegas or Music City are still within the parameters of a successful season.

As far as the Pedophile State game, remember, that ball bounces funny some days.
Your lips to God’s ears.

Many of the cities these days now the "filling hotels" thing means very little. All those games in souther cities, The Bahamas, etc. are NOT filling hotel rooms with MAC/CUSA/SunBelt fan bases. They're making money from ESPN. Pinstripe couldn't care less how many "hotel rooms" are filled, either, as you put it NYC has no issue doing that during the holidays (at least the hotels that are available to the general public, these days...).
Not so sure the local cities / local economies are making money from ESPN. All that ESPN money is going to the Conferences. Used to be huge tie-ins with Local Tourism Bureaus/ Chamber of Commerce/ Cities with the local Bowl committees. Those tourism dollars did mean $omething.

Are the bowl selection actually an ordered draft or is it a “collective assignment” where the conference works with the eligible bows to set up certain matchups and/or destinations for teams?

Just because we’re “next best after Iowa” doesn’t mean overall for the conference sending us to Pinstripe isn’t best.
The “no repeat” thing matters but other than that pretty sure it’s the order of the bowls.

Reactions: NickRU714
But how many opportunities do I get to write about herpes when discussing football bowl games? It's rare, right?

The PoS bowl afforded me that rare opportunity. I had no choice but to rise to the occasion. 🙂
It wouldn’t have been my choice of wording, but to each his own.

Not so sure the local cities / local economies are making money from ESPN. All that ESPN money is going to the Conferences. Used to be huge tie-ins with Local Tourism Bureaus/ Chamber of Commerce/ Cities with the local Bowl committees. Those tourism dollars did mean $omething.
Correct...it USE to be about making $$$ for the cities..it's NOT any longer.

Reactions: MinaD20

The bowls pick in a specific order. We travel well AND get TV viewers (much better than a few of the schools we'd be competing for spot in, let's say, Nashville). Those are BOTH very important.

I like what someone suggested a while back. Move it to MetLife and call it the Big Apple Bowl.

I have to admit though it was pretty funny watching all those wide eyed Iowa St. fans riding the subway.
this is what I've been saying forever. Problem is, the Yankees org hosts the Pinstripe Bowl and we'd have to get someone to do a Big Apple Bowl

Reactions: colbert17
If Rutgers beats Maryland and Nebraska or Wisconsin fail to become bowl eligible, RU has a legit chance to go to Nashville or Vegas.
This is wishful thinking. Nashville doesn't want a 7-5 Big Ten team who hasn't beaten anyone getting destroyed by an SEC opponent. There's a tiny (1%) outside shot of Vegas but I personally think that ship sailed when we got pounded by Iowa.
Is Rutgers not under consideration for the Guaranteed Rate Bowl?
No because the Pinstripe Bowl picks before them. Zero chance the Bronx officials pass on Rutgers.
I could be wrong but a Florida, Nashville, or Las Vegas might draw 15,000 RU fans….
I still think we travel with Texas Bowl type numbers whether it’s Vegas, Nashville, or Orlando.
This is crazy talk. Rutgers played a home game earlier this season that barely drew 15,000 fans and has struggled to fill seats all year. And there's absolutely no comparison between fan excitement right now vs. the greatest season in Rutgers football history (2006). Come on, man.
Rutgers travels very very well so we have that going for us.
We travel well AND get TV viewers (much better than a few of the schools we'd be competing for spot in, let's say, Nashville).
There's no recent evidence to back up either of these assertions. Throwing out the Gator Bowl since it was a COVID invite on short notice, Rutgers did not travel particularly well to Detroit in 2014 or Orlando in 2012. I seriously doubt a bowl is going to care about Rutgers bringing lots of fans to Phoenix in 2005 or Houston in 2006. That was over 15 years ago.

Edit: Hey @AreYouNUTS why can't you have a conversation without trying to shout down anyone who disagrees with you? You said Rutgers travels better and gets more TV viewers than several other Big Ten schools. I said there is no recent evidence to back up that claim which is absolutely true, and further confirmed by your failure to provide any proof in your reply.

Instead, you started attacking me and said "don’t listen to a single word he says because he’s an absolutely clueless idiot." Well, that "clueless idiot" just totally shut you down. There is no evidence that Rutgers travels better or gets more TV viewers in bowls than any other Big Ten school. Period.

P.S. You've been banned before too and the only reason I get banned instead of you these days is because you go crying to your moderator pal whenever you start losing an argument. I bet you're doing it again right now as we speak. How pathetic that a grown man tries to silence fellow RU fans because he can't back up the scarlet-colored-glasses nonsense he constantly posts on this message board.

Edit 2: And on cue @DJ Spanky enters the thread to curse me out and call me names, which is clearly against the rules of the site he's supposed to "moderate." Congratulations @Richard Schnyderite, this site is no different than the previous regime's.

Edit 3: @AreYouNUTS you claim "nobody wants to have a 'conversation' with you" yet there's an entire thread of good football conversation before you and @DJ Spanky entered the thread to cuss me out and call me names because neither of you can tolerate opposing viewpoints. It's a textbook example of a good on-topic Rutgers football thread being derailed by two trolls.

Edit 4: I created this thread yesterday and @AreYouNUTS just replied a staggering 14th time, by far the most of anyone here. This is what he does: tries to shout down other posters and jam his opinions down your throat as if they're facts. When you push back at him, he goes crying to his moderator pal to have you banned. So predictable and pathetic.

Edit 5: @AreYouNUTS just replied to my thread a 15th time. What an obsessed, creepy stalker.
Pinstripe is pretty much a guarantee. A better discussion is who we going to play there ?
Agree. I get that fans like to dream but after the Iowa loss, you might as well just go ahead and buy your Pinstripe Bowl tickets now to get the best sightline. That's what I did.

Last edited:
This is wishful thinking. Nashville doesn't want a 7-5 Big Ten team who hasn't beaten anyone getting destroyed by an SEC opponent. There's a tiny (1%) outside shot of Vegas but I personally think that ship sailed when we got pounded by Iowa.

No because the Pinstripe Bowl picks before them. Zero chance the Bronx officials pass on Rutgers.

This is crazy talk. Rutgers played a home game earlier this season that barely drew 15,000 fans and has struggled to fill seats all year. And there's absolutely no comparison between fan excitement right now vs. the greatest season in Rutgers football history (2006). Come on, man.

There's no recent evidence to back up either of these assertions. Throwing out the Gator Bowl since it was a COVID invite on short notice, Rutgers did not travel particularly well to Detroit in 2014 or Orlando in 2012. I seriously doubt a bowl is going to care about Rutgers bringing lots of fans to Phoenix in 2005 or Houston in 2006. That was over 15 years ago.

Agree. I get that fans like to dream but after the Iowa loss, you might as well just go ahead and buy your Pinstripe Bowl tickets now to get the best sightline. That's what I did.
you're high, I was there and the place was littered with RU fans. The stadium seemed to be mostly red

agree it's pinstripe bowl though

what seats did you get?

Ladies and gentlemen: not sure how I didn’t realize this before, but this is the world’s biggest troll, so don’t listen to a single word he says because he’s an absolutely clueless idiot. Claiming that we didn’t travel well to Orlando should tells you all you need to know.

Coming up on moniker 150!!!!

Edit: Hey @AreYouNUTS why can't you have a conversation without trying to shout down anyone who disagrees with you? You said Rutgers travels better and gets more TV viewers than several other Big Ten schools. I said there is no recent evidence to back up that claim which is absolutely true, and further confirmed by your failure to provide any proof in your reply.

Instead, you started attacking me and said "don’t listen to a single word he says because he’s an absolutely clueless idiot." Well, that "clueless idiot" just totally shut you down. There is no evidence that Rutgers travels better or gets more TV viewers in bowls than any other Big Ten school. Period.

We'll see.

Reactions: Henry Rutgers
This is crazy talk. Rutgers played a home game earlier this season that barely drew 15,000 fans and has struggled to fill seats all year.

Once again you're spewing absolute bullshit. There were far more than 15K fans at Wagner, and we had a great turnout of Rutgers fans for the Ohio State game. But you just keep making shit up to try to support your bizarro view of the world. I highly doubt you've attended a single Rutgers Football game in the past few years.

I would gladly have a “conversation” with you if you weren’t completely insane. Think about the fact that you are closing in on 150 monikers. You’re ****ing creepy, you’re a stalker, and you’re pathological liar. You literally make shit up. To think that we didn’t travel well to Orlando is the biggest joke bunch of bullshit ever. First off, it wasn’t the citrus bowl, it was bowl number two in that city, and we were coming off a disappointing season. One in which we should have won the freaking entire conference and go mine to the orange bowl. Secondly, we did travel well, actually pretty damn well. Virginia Tech is known as one of the best traveling schools in the nation and we had as many fans in that building, if not more, then they did.

This is why nobody wants to have a “conversation” with you. You’re a freaking idiot.

I’ll give you this much, ,Captain Obvious:

Odds are we do go to the Pinstripe Bowl, you’re right!!! DUH!. At 6–6 there’s almost no question we end up there. A 2-year old could figure that out. At 7–5, two weeks ago, I would have agreed that we were headed there almost without question as well, BUT…. the way the west has beaten up on itself there’s a good chance we end up going to Nashville with that record..

Doesn’t mean we still aren’t in play for other games, which I can tell you for a fact that we are, but you wouldn’t believe me anyway. If you think that we’re not an interesting take with our ability to travel to a city like Nashville - which is both cheap and easy to get to, with tons of flights from the region (even for our huge Florida and Southern California alumni bases) - as well as getting good TV ratings for that game on New Year’s Day, tells me all I need to know about what you know about these things:

Absolutely nothing.

This article does a great job of explaining why bowl selection is not fair. I’ve provided this link previously. We are in the same bowl selection tier as Minnesota, Maryland, and Purdue, imo.

This is it right here:

“Want to avoid it? Don’t lose to Bowling Green and Illinois.”

Reactions: Jimpeg
Looking at some past information- it looks like we were anywhere from just under 6k for St. Pete and over 10k for both the Insight and Texas. With PJ and International in the 7-9k range.
And for the first PS bowl- about 15k.

I believe these numbers are reflective of what was sold through Rutgers so it was much likely higher for all of them.

Reactions: Henry Rutgers
Looking at some past information- it looks like we were anywhere from just under 6k for St. Pete and over 10k for both the Insight and Texas. With PJ and International in the 7-9k range.

I believe these numbers are reflective of what was sold through Rutgers so it was much likely higher for all of them.
Those #'s are not all correct. Insight 10-12K BUT Texas was about 22K IIRC (what an AMAZING sight that was....). St Pete maybe 8K'ish. PJ and International about right. Russell Athletic easily 15K. Pinstripe 20-25k each time. No idea how many to Detroit. Maybe 5-6K? Lousy game. Can't look at the # of tickets sold through the school as many buy directly through the game/ticketmaster/StubHub, etc, for better seat locations.

Others will confirm these #'s.

Last edited:
Those #'s are not all correct. Insight 10-12K BUT Texas was about 22K IIRC (what an AMAZING sight that was....). St Pete maybe 8K'ish. PJ and International about right. Russell Athletic easily 15K. Pinstripe 20-25k each time. No idea how many to Detroit. Maybe 5-6K? Lousy game. Can't look at the # of tickets sold through the school as many buy directly through the game/ticketmaster/StubHub, etc, for better seat locations.

Others will confirm these #'s.
it is why I had that disclaimer in there. And even with the smaller numbers bought directly from the school(and i believe that is where the numbers I found did come from- as they also talked about how many were alotted)
But, we travel well- and the homefield PS numbers may not really be that much bigger than some of our travel numbers

You have to be a 12-year-old girl to just go around incessantly giggling - or bring angry at - people’s comments without responding to them. I just don’t get it.

Over the years I remember seeing the following:

10k+ for Phoenix
15-17k for Houston
8-10k for Toronto
8k+ for Birmingham
7-9k for St. Pete

...I dunno what the numbers were for Detroit but we definitely outnumbered UNC fans (some estimates were like 3/4 to 1). I have no idea what our Orlando or Pinstripe numbers were though both Pinstripe Bowls appeared well-attended.

Joe P.

At some point in the near future we will likely be headed to the Pinstripe Bowl, I don't think they allow two years in a row, so why not get it out of the way this year with this team. Who knows next year's team might be able to consistently complete forward passes and be much more enjoyable to watch at a more desirable venue.

I could be wrong, but I assume the reason why the Pinstripe Bowl picks ahead of Guaranteed Rate and Quick Lane, is because they pay more. Given the drastic reduction in expenses, and the higher payout, the Pinstripe Bowl is an attractive option for the RU athletic department. Less so for the players obviously. As far as the fans, I suspect there is a vocal minority bad mouthing the Pinstripe Bowl. You can't tell me any other bowl is going to draw more Rutgers fans.
Does the BIG pool all bowl distribution and then divide by 14?

Rutgers can accept a pinstripe invite after it's told all the playoff spots are taken
Happy Suicide Squad GIF by Xbox

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT