ADVERTISEMENT

How early can Rutgers accept Pinstripe Bowl bid?

Henry Rutgers

Redshirt
Nov 11, 2023
Back in 2007, Rutgers accepted an invitation to the International Bowl in Toronto hours before its final game of the season at Louisville. I remember being surprised by this since Rutgers had a 7-4 record and it appeared there were still other bowl options on the table. Rutgers wound up losing that Louisville game, blowing a huge lead in the process, but the bowl destination wouldn't have changed even with a win since we'd already accepted the Toronto bid.

This year, would it make sense for RU to go ahead and take a Pinstripe Bowl offer assuming of course that we lose to Penn State on Saturday and are sitting at 6-5? There's really no realistic scenario of going anywhere else at that point plus it would give extra time for Rutgers and the bowl to promote the game and sell tickets.

I guess the other logical question is are Big Ten teams even allowed to accept early bowl bids like Rutgers did as a Big East team in 2007? It will be interesting to see how this process plays out.

Reactions: MinaD20
If Rutgers beats Maryland and Nebraska or Wisconsin fail to become bowl eligible, RU has a legit chance to go to Nashville or Vegas. So while we are 90% going to the Pinstripe, those things you mention are not worth an early commitment to Pinstripe.

If Rutgers beats Maryland and Nebraska or Wisconsin fail to become bowl eligible, RU has a legit chance to go to Nashville or Vegas. So while we are 90% going to the Pinstripe, those things you mention are not worth an early commitment to Pinstripe.
Is Rutgers not under consideration for the Guaranteed Rate Bowl? Does Iowa have that locked up? What if they win the B1G Championship? We are the next best team in the league after Iowa!!

Yeah, we are not on the list, but IF (IF!!!!!) we beat Maryland, do we have a shot????

Back in 2007, Rutgers accepted an invitation to the International Bowl in Toronto hours before its final game of the season at Louisville. I remember being surprised by this since Rutgers had a 7-4 record and it appeared there were still other bowl options on the table. Rutgers wound up losing that Louisville game, blowing a huge lead in the process, but the bowl destination wouldn't have changed even with a win since we'd already accepted the Toronto bid.

This year, would it make sense for RU to go ahead and take a Pinstripe Bowl offer assuming of course that we lose to Penn State on Saturday and are sitting at 6-5? There's really no realistic scenario of going anywhere else at that point plus it would give extra time for Rutgers and the bowl to promote the game and sell tickets.

I guess the other logical question is are Big Ten teams even allowed to accept early bowl bids like Rutgers did as a Big East team in 2007? It will be interesting to see how this process plays out.
I don't see invitations going out before the end of the season. The Pinstripe can not offer until the 6 Bowls ahead of them pick first. The International Bowl invited us after the slotted bowls games above them made their selections. The International Bowl was the highest and lowest we could go win or lose. During the Big East days all teams went to the slotted bowl based on the conference standings.

Reactions: Morrischiano
Is Rutgers not under consideration for the Guaranteed Rate Bowl? Does Iowa have that locked up? What if they win the B1G Championship? We are the next best team in the league after Iowa!!

Yeah, we are not on the list, but IF (IF!!!!!) we beat Maryland, do we have a shot????

According to the graphic Rutgers is not even in consideration. How are we the next best team after Iowa??

According to the graphic Rutgers is not even in consideration. How are we the next best team after Iowa??
Hope you are doing well. That's how several services have us "ranked" versus other B1G teams, but that will not come into play. Even if we should beat Maryland, and assuming Maryland loses to Michigan, Rutgers "should" get picked over Maryland, IMO. Our fanbase travels fairly well, and guessing better than Maryland.

If Minnesota or Nebraska becomes bowl eligible, thinking they get the nod ahead of Rutgers. Just guessing here.

Here's a link to CBS Sports (consistent with The Athletic), where we are ranked behind Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Iowa:

Accepting a pinstripe bowl offer early would be like posting, on social media, that one has herpes even before sleeping with the hooker.

The only way RU should accept a pinstripe bowl offer is if it's the only possible option. Even then, if I were the AD, I'd prefer not to play at all than playing the game in a baseball stadium with a crappy field surface in the Bronx in Winter.

But I'd be a pretty awful AD, probably. 🙂

I would hold off as long as possible with the hopes of getting a decent bowl

Is Rutgers not under consideration for the Guaranteed Rate Bowl? Does Iowa have that locked up?

As a reminder, this is the order in which the bowls will pick teams:
1. Citrus/Cheez it
2. Music City
3. Vegas
4. Pinstripe
5. Guaranteed Rate
6. Quick Lane

In all likelihood, PSU, OSU, and UM will be in bowls above these. That leaves Citrus to take Iowa. From there, the order will likely be decided over the next two weeks of game action. But you can bet that Wisconsin and Nebraska would fill slots 2 and 3 if both are available. We need one of them to not be eligible for RU to have a chance at one of those.

Reactions: Knight Shift
This.
Rutgers nor any other B1G Team want the Pimpstripe Bowl. We should hold out for any other Bowl bid for as long as possible.

Reactions: Southern Gentleman
1. Citrus/Cheez it
2. Music City
3. Vegas
4. Pinstripe
5. Guaranteed Rate
6. Quick Lane

In all likelihood, PSU, OSU, and UM will be in bowls above these. That leaves Citrus to take Iowa. From there, the order will likely be decided over the next two weeks of game action. But you can bet that Wisconsin and Nebraska would fill slots 2 and 3 if both are available. We need one of them to not be eligible for RU to have a chance at one of those.
Can Iowa go to Tampa again this year? The B1G has some crazy complicated rules regarding some of the games in their bowl lineup and how often teams can go (done purposely to prevent "travel fatigue" for the fan bases). Iowa just went in '22 (following the '21 season).

Reactions: LeapinLou
Accepting a pinstripe bowl offer early would be like posting, on social media, that one has herpes even before sleeping with the hooker.

The only way RU should accept a pinstripe bowl offer is if it's the only possible option. Even then, if I were the AD, I'd prefer not to play at all than playing the game in a baseball stadium with a crappy field surface in the Bronx in Winter.

But I'd be a pretty awful AD, probably. 🙂
There's not an AD in the nation who would turn down their "only" bowl game option (COVID insanity aside). Not one.

This.
Rutgers nor any other B1G Team want the Pimpstripe Bowl. We should hold out for any other Bowl bid for as long as possible.
I could be wrong, but I assume the reason why the Pinstripe Bowl picks ahead of Guaranteed Rate and Quick Lane, is because they pay more. Given the drastic reduction in expenses, and the higher payout, the Pinstripe Bowl is an attractive option for the RU athletic department. Less so for the players obviously. As far as the fans, I suspect there is a vocal minority bad mouthing the Pinstripe Bowl. You can't tell me any other bowl is going to draw more Rutgers fans.

I could be wrong, but I assume the reason why the Pinstripe Bowl picks ahead of Guaranteed Rate and Quick Lane, is because they pay more. Given the drastic reduction in expenses, and the higher payout, the Pinstripe Bowl is an attractive option for the RU athletic department. Less so for the players obviously. As far as the fans, I suspect there is a vocal minority bad mouthing the Pinstripe Bowl. You can't tell me any other bowl is going to draw more Rutgers fans.
That's a fair take, but many will stay home because of the sight lines and the December weather, versus playing in an enclosed stadium or in a warm weather destination. My option is limited, as we will be in Arizona and keeping fingers crossed we luck our way into Guaranteed Rate Bowl. But as others have pointed out, Dec. 26 in Phoenix is going to pose travel issues for many people the day after Christmas, unless people travel on Dec. 26. The game is at 7 p.m. MST (9 p.m. EST), so taking a flight out on the morning of Dec. 26 on Spirit and back the next day is about $400 Round Trip. For those that have the week off, Phoenix is a great warm weather destination to stay over the weekend.

Reactions: RU22 and RUTGERS95
There's not an AD in the nation who would turn down their "only" bowl game option (COVID insanity aside). Not one.
Ya think? 😀

Well that will all change when I'm elected as RU AD. You're going to tell me AD's aren't elected, I can tell.

But I will be the first. People will vote for me, even though there's no election, because they want to hear more apt analogies like my herpes/hooker early-pinstripe acceptance one. That's way more fun than winning at sports, and I don't even require NIL money - I do it for free.

The PS bowl hopes we lose out so they know they will have us.

We are(had to fix the spell check) lol a B1G team with 6 wins...we are going to a bowl.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruronny
No wonder I was feeling kind of bloated. And for sure, after that meal, I'd definitely be headed for a bowl.

Well the Toilet Bowl is pretty much equivalent to the Pimpstink Bowl at the Steinbrenner Memorial Whorehouse.

• Angry
Reactions: BeatGT
Well the Toilet Bowl is pretty much equivalent to the Pimpstink Bowl at the Steinbrenner Memorial Whorehouse.
I really, really wish it would just go away and be replaced by a bowl held at a proper football stadium.

I really, really wish it would just go away and be replaced by a bowl held at a proper football stadium.
We know. We know. WE KNOW....but...it IS NOT happening. Just like it wasn't going to end after 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, or 5 years. It is what it is do we really need to hear about it every-other-post?

Go find a hooker (and, ya' know, some of that "white stuff")!!! :WooHoo:

• Sad
Reactions: BeatGT
It is what it is do we really need to hear about it every-other-post?
But how many opportunities do I get to write about herpes when discussing football bowl games? It's rare, right?

The PoS bowl afforded me that rare opportunity. I had no choice but to rise to the occasion. 🙂

• Haha
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Hope you are doing well. That's how several services have us "ranked" versus other B1G teams, but that will not come into play. Even if we should beat Maryland, and assuming Maryland loses to Michigan, Rutgers "should" get picked over Maryland, IMO. Our fanbase travels fairly well, and guessing better than Maryland.

If Minnesota or Nebraska becomes bowl eligible, thinking they get the nod ahead of Rutgers. Just guessing here.

Here's a link to CBS Sports (consistent with The Athletic), where we are ranked behind Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Iowa:

It has nothing to do with rankings. The bowls get to pick in order as listed above. Team ranking is irrelevant, it's which team the next bowl picking wants to take.

Reactions: rutgersal
The bowl doesn't get to pick anyone that played in the bowl last year. Big Ten arrangement.
I think I read somewhere the only one that doesn’t have this rule is Detroit.

Maybe because it’s the last one?

I could be wrong but a Florida, Nashville, or Las Vegas might draw 15,000 RU fans…. Pent up demand/Bowl fever for the RU fans. The impact to the locally economy will be 15x vs. going to the Bronx bowl.
Maybe not the Pinstripe crowd but closer than many think.
And you are way off base on a “minority “ bad mouthing this joke of a Bowl.

• Haha
Reactions: Henry Rutgers
I could be wrong but a Florida, Nashville, or Las Vegas might draw 15,000 RU fans…. Pent up demand/Bowl fever for the RU fans. The impact to the locally economy will be 15x vs. going to the Bronx bowl.
Maybe not the Pinstripe crowd but closer than many think.
And you are way off base on a “minority “ bad mouthing this joke of a Bowl.
Only issue I see with Vegas is it's DAMN expensive so taking a family could be tough. Tampa/Orlando/Nashville not so much. On the other hand Vegas, like The Rose Bowl, allows for our HUGE alumni base in Southern Cali to show up. So you never know!

....and dude, NOBODY loves going to The Bronx for a bowl game - WE GET IT - but it's most definitely a minority who incessantly bitch about it (and have been dead-wrong since Day 1 about it's survival).

Anyway....NASHVILLE PLEASE!!!

As I have said- if we are on the board when it comes to the PS bowl- they are taking us. We are not going to be going to any bowl below the PS Bowl. And...for the few, that just want to continue to shit- we are also not being left out of a bowl either.

I do have a bit of a motive question though. While so many bowls seem to care more about their city and how many fans are going to travel, hotels, rental cars, tourism...The PS Bowl seems to be very much self centered on itself. An maybe that is because NYC- Xmas/New Years/Etc - is going to be packed anyway. But Rutgers to the PinStripe may have 25k Rutgers fans attending but at least 95% of those fans will be sleeping in their own beds, not visiting tourist attractions, many may stop by a few SBronx bars beforehand but- not much cash to the City at all.
Is this unique to the PS?

Reactions: Jimpeg
Rutgers travels very very well so we have that going for us. I agree the Pinstripe would make the most sense for numbers but I know plenty that would go to Detroit, Nashville etc but will not go to Yankee Stadium for this game.

not hard to understand why

Reactions: knightfan2000
As I have said- if we are on the board when it comes to the PS bowl- they are taking us. We are not going to be going to any bowl below the PS Bowl. And...for the few, that just want to continue to shit- we are also not being left out of a bowl either.

I do have a bit of a motive question though. While so many bowls seem to care more about their city and how many fans are going to travel, hotels, rental cars, tourism...The PS Bowl seems to be very much self centered on itself. An maybe that is because NYC- Xmas/New Years/Etc - is going to be packed anyway. But Rutgers to the PinStripe may have 25k Rutgers fans attending but at least 95% of those fans will be sleeping in their own beds, not visiting tourist attractions, many may stop by a few SBronx bars beforehand but- not much cash to the City at all.
Is this unique to the PS?
Many of the cities these days now the "filling hotels" thing means very little. All those games in souther cities, The Bahamas, etc. are NOT filling hotel rooms with MAC/CUSA/SunBelt fan bases. They're making money from ESPN. Pinstripe couldn't care less how many "hotel rooms" are filled, either, as you put it NYC has no issue doing that during the holidays (at least the hotels that are available to the general public, these days...).

Reactions: Jimpeg
Minnesota played in the Pinstripe bowl last year, Maryland played in it the year before. Neither of those teams are eligible to play in the Pinstripe. That leaves us, Illinois and Nebraska (if they become bowl eligible). Nebraska would actually probably travel really well to The Bronx but just ask yourself logically if you're a rep for this bowl which team would you want. Rutgers is 50 miles away and Illinois probably wouldn't travel well and Nebraska is much closer to Arizona than we are. This stuff is a business decision for these bowl representatives.

Don't we actually have to be offered a bowl game to be able to accept a bowl game? ESPN predictions are absolutely not invitations

Reactions: RutgersDom
Only issue I see with Vegas is it's DAMN expensive so taking a family could be tough. Tampa/Orlando/Nashville not so much. On the other hand Vegas, like The Rose Bowl, allows for our HUGE alumni base in Southern Cali to show up. So you never know!

....and dude, NOBODY loves going to The Bronx for a bowl game - WE GET IT - but it's most definitely a minority who incessantly bitch about it (and have been dead-wrong since Day 1 about it's survival).

Anyway....NASHVILLE PLEASE!!!
Agree about Las Vegas… although many hotels ( especially off the Strip} have deals during Christmas week…. Not New Year’s period however. I still think we travel with Texas Bowl type numbers whether it’s Vegas, Nashville, or Orlando. Hear you on the Pinstripe Bowl and we will always agree to disagree. I don’t think it will survive after the B1G teams have made their “mandatory “ unwanted visits. The Attendance is drastically overstated. IIRC you too made funny of the Pinstripe Bowl early on way before RU joined the B1G.

I wonder- outside of the elites and after 2020- how many schools travel with 5 figures anymore? To the non Playoff or NYD games?

1. Citrus/Cheez it
2. Music City
3. Vegas
4. Pinstripe
5. Guaranteed Rate
6. Quick Lane

they have like 4 or 5 wins we should finish above them imo if we beat the Terps....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT