ADVERTISEMENT

How early can Rutgers accept Pinstripe Bowl bid?

At some point in the near future we will likely be headed to the Pinstripe Bowl, I don't think they allow two years in a row, so why not get it out of the way this year with this team. Who knows next year's team might be able to consistently complete forward passes and be much more enjoyable to watch at a more desirable venue.
Actually I believe the same B1G team can’t go to the Pinstripe more than once very 7 years.
Thank g-d. Shows how this Bowl is the least desired location of any Bowl for the B1G.

Actually I believe the same B1G team can’t go to the Pinstripe more than once very 7 years.
Thank g-d. Shows how this Bowl is the least desired location of any Bowl for the B1G.
Nahhhh....it's all about giving MORE fan bases the opportunity to come to NYC and kids to play at Yankee Stadium. Com'on now lol!

Nahhhh....it's all about giving MORE fan bases the opportunity to come to NYC and kids to play at Yankee Stadium. Com'on now lol!
Baloney
Why would the Conference have a rule of a max visit of once every 7 years ?
They know very well Players, Staff, Fans don’t want to play in this Bowl. Spin it anyway you want.
This is furthest atmosphere from a Bowl experience. And everyone knows it. Again we agree to disagree.

Reactions: Tiny NUTS
Baloney
Why would the Conference have a rule of a max visit of once every 7 years ?
They know very well Players, Staff, Fans don’t want to play in this Bowl. Spin it anyway you want.
This is furthest atmosphere from a Bowl experience. And everyone knows it. Again we agree to disagree.
Holy shit dude....it was a joke...RELAX.

• Angry
Reactions: BeatGT
There were far more than 15K fans at Wagner, and we had a great turnout of Rutgers fans for the Ohio State game.
There were not "far more" than 15K fans at Wagner. The upper decks were the emptiest I've seen in years and all lower bowl corners were empty. It was a terrible crowd, an embarrassment in fact, and several journalists and posters here noted it at the time.

EDIT: I'm not talking about the "ticketed crowd" @DJ Spanky. You are being intentionally obtuse. Everyone knows that Rutgers is dishonest about those numbers and it's been proven beyond any doubt. I am talking about the actual number of fans in the stadium which definitely wasn't "far more" than 15K.

The Rutgers-Ohio State crowd was strong starting in the mid-1st quarter. Obviously that was helped by having thousands of OSU fans in the building. It will be interesting to see how actual attendance looks for the Maryland game with cold weather and the team coming off 3 straight losses.
BUT…. the way the west has beaten up on itself there’s a good chance we end up going to Nashville with that record..

Doesn’t mean we still aren’t in play for other games, which I can tell you for a fact that we are, but you wouldn’t believe me anyway.
There is not a "good chance" of Rutgers going to Nashville with a 7-5 record. That is completely false.

The reason nobody believes your bowl projections is because you're always wrong. How were all those bowl games in Charlotte? Also, how was the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament last year? You assured everyone that RU was a "lock" to make it.

...I dunno what the numbers were for Detroit but we definitely outnumbered UNC fans (some estimates were like 3/4 to 1). I have no idea what our Orlando or Pinstripe numbers were though both Pinstripe Bowls appeared well-attended.
Not many Rutgers fans made the trip to Detroit which is understandable. But that's the only bowl we've played in as a Big Ten team, so it will be considered by B1G officials far more than past bowls that happened 10+ years ago while we played in other conferences.

Rutgers brought a decent number of fans to Orlando but it certainly wasn't the massive turnout @AreYouNUTS would have you believe. I was there. I'd say 12K tops which is disappointing considering how many RU fans live in Florida, not to mention the ease of travel to Orlando.
At some point in the near future we will likely be headed to the Pinstripe Bowl, I don't think they allow two years in a row, so why not get it out of the way this year with this team. Who knows next year's team might be able to consistently complete forward passes and be much more enjoyable to watch at a more desirable venue.
I agree and Pinstripe is 99.9% where we're headed after the Iowa shutout loss, so everyone should just accept it and enjoy the game. Rutgers is extremely fortunate to be going to a bowl this year.

Last edited:
There were not "far more" than 15K fans at Wagner. The upper decks were the emptiest I've seen in years and all lower bowl corners were empty. It was a terrible crowd, an embarrassment in fact, and several journalists and posters here noted it at the time.

The Rutgers-Ohio State crowd was strong starting in the mid-1st quarter. Obviously that was helped by having thousands of OSU fans in the building. It will be interesting to see how actual attendance looks for the Maryland game with cold weather and the team coming off 3 straight losses.

There is not a "good chance" of Rutgers going to Nashville with a 7-5 record. That is completely false.

The reason nobody believes your bowl projections is because you're always wrong. How were all those bowl games in Charlotte? Also, how was the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament last year? You assured everyone that RU was a "lock" to make it.

Not many Rutgers fans made the trip to Detroit which is understandable. But that's the only bowl we've played in as a Big Ten team, so it will be considered by B1G officials far more than past bowls that happened 10+ years ago while we played in other conferences.

Rutgers brought a decent number of fans to Orlando but it certainly wasn't the massive turnout @AreYouNUTS would have you believe. I was there. I'd say 12K tops which is disappointing considering how many RU fans live in Florida, not to mention the ease of travel to Orlando.

I agree and Pinstripe is 99.9% where we're headed after the Iowa shutout loss, so everyone should just accept it and enjoy the game. Rutgers is extremely fortunate to be going to a bowl this year.
Just stop troll!

• Angry
Reactions: Henry Rutgers

You weren't there you miserable troll, so how would you know. We haven't had a ticketed crowd under 20K since the Chris Ash days: I'd put the crowd that day at ~25K.

Can we get a list of bowl options and actual dates?

I'm sure I'm not the only one but date is a much bigger consideration than location or opponent.

Can we get a list of bowl options and actual dates?

I'm sure I'm not the only one but date is a much bigger consideration than location or opponent.
Date-wise I think the Music City (12/30) and Pinstripe (12/28) would work the best for many of us.

The others mentioned IMO have dates that could make it difficult for traveling.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickRU714

1) my Charlotte "prediction" - for the upteenth time - was NOT a "prediction." I was literally told - by our AD at the time at a basketball game earlier the week prior to bowl game announcements, - t

hat it was a "done deal." Which it was....until... Pitt agreed to give 75% of their ticket allotment to UNC and we got ****ed. This is NOT new news!!! @Scarlet Shack will back this up as well!

2) I'm not the only one who disagrees with you about Orlando. You're just....wrong. Others in this thread, @RUTGERS95 included, have COMPLETELY DISAGREED with you. I was there with @RU848789 he'd likely disagree with you as well.

3) You probably haven't gone to a single bowl game. Mommy won't let you. Loser.

4) Your OPINION is that there is not a "good chance" we get to Charlotte at 7-5. That's all. It's an OPINION and you're allowed to have it. Mine is - or at least was until realizing that Wisconsin can NOT go to Vegas again this year - that there is a "good" chance due to our ability to sell tickets rather easily to this game (Dec 30THh in Nashville....a Saturday...EASY, cheap flights from all around the nation and LOTS of them from our region....also not a bad drive and a GREAT city to be in for New Year's....we would take 15-20K to this game IMHO....if you have a different OPINION, then fine, but WHO CARES???!!! My OPINION is that our fans will flock to this game AND we will also help draw very good TV ratings. Doesn't mean we get the choice, I know that, but....AGAIN.....who cares??? For some reason you THINK everyone else in the entire conference, at 7-5, would be a better choice than US at 7-5? Okay, fine, you don't see me losing my shit about YOUR OPINION, do you?

I don't think anybody OTHER THAN YOUR DUMB ASS will disagree with me about WHY we would be a solid choice to go to Nashville and WHY we would travel well there.

So, again, GET A LIFE dude.

99.9% is idiotic, untrue, and simply your OPINION. And, riddle me this genius: WHY are we "extremely fortunate" to be "going to a bowl" this year?

Can't wait for this idiotic response "live from mommy's basement!!!" :WooHoo:

I could be wrong, but I assume the reason why the Pinstripe Bowl picks ahead of Guaranteed Rate and Quick Lane, is because they pay more. Given the drastic reduction in expenses, and the higher payout, the Pinstripe Bowl is an attractive option for the RU athletic department. Less so for the players obviously. As far as the fans, I suspect there is a vocal minority bad mouthing the Pinstripe Bowl. You can't tell me any other bowl is going to draw more Rutgers fans.
I will 95% go to a RU Pinstripe Bowl. I will 1% go to any other bowl this yr. I’m sure there are thousands of other RU fans in the same mindset.

Reactions: Henry Rutgers
I will 95% go to a RU Pinstripe Bowl. I will 1% go to any other bowl this yr. I’m sure there are thousands of other RU fans in the same mindset.
Different fans go to different bowls. The Bronx, this year, would draw better than it drew the last 2 times - in my OPINION - because our fan base is starved for a bowl game again (which would help travel anywhere, TBD), it's close and cheap trip/day in total. Vegas? I think we'd have a little trouble due to the cost of Vegas, of getting to Vegas during the holidays, and the cost to take a family of 3-5 to Vegas (during the holidays). I think we'd have to rely heavily on our huge California alumni base to help drive #'s up here. Nashville, well, I've explained that one already. But, yes, some will be able to "make this one....but not that one" which, when it's unexpected (as it is this ear for most of our fan base), can happen so NOBODY should be criticized for being able to attend one or another IMHO.

You weren't there you miserable troll, so how would you know. We haven't had a ticketed crowd under 20K since the Chris Ash days: I'd put the crowd that day at ~25K.
I don't think some people have any clue how to do an estimate of the crowd- they see what they call is an half empty stadium and call it at 15k at best. When that would actually mean 25k at worst.

Reactions: NickRU714
Different fans go to different bowls. The Bronx, this year, would draw better than it drew the last 2 times - in my OPINION - because our fan base is starved for a bowl game again (which would help travel anywhere, TBD), it's close and cheap trip/day in total. Vegas? I think we'd have a little trouble due to the cost of Vegas, of getting to Vegas during the holidays, and the cost to take a family of 3-5 to Vegas (during the holidays). I think we'd have to rely heavily on our huge California alumni base to help drive #'s up here. Nashville, well, I've explained that one already. But, yes, some will be able to "make this one....but not that one" which, when it's unexpected (as it is this ear for most of our fan base), can happen so NOBODY should be criticized for being able to attend one or another IMHO.
My opinion on this is if we can really give PSU a good tough game and beat Maryland- we are an attractive team to most of the bowls but obviously not going to a couple of our top tie ins. If the bowls that pick in front of the PS do decide to pass on us- then it is a 99.9% chance we are in the Bronx- bowls lower then the PS bowl will not see us on the board when they are picking.

My opinion on this is if we can really give PSU a good tough game and beat Maryland- we are an attractive team to most of the bowls but obviously not going to a couple of our top tie ins. If the bowls that pick in front of the PS do decide to pass on us- then it is a 99.9% chance we are in the Bronx- bowls lower then the PS bowl will not see us on the board when they are picking.
Now THIS most of us will agree upon. The big issue here is going to be, I think, Wisconsin. If they win out they're 99% likely getting taken by Music City. No question and completely understandable. They also can NOT go to either Vegas or Phoenix this year (per B1G guidelines).

My opinion on this is if we can really give PSU a good tough game and beat Maryland- we are an attractive team to most of the bowls but obviously not going to a couple of our top tie ins. If the bowls that pick in front of the PS do decide to pass on us- then it is a 99.9% chance we are in the Bronx- bowls lower than the PS bowl will not see us on the board when they are picking.
It's still a rank-and-file, rebalance thing when it comes down to it.

8-4 with the other guys 7-5 or 6-6 I'd feel a little better.

But I still think we end up close by this year even at that.

I would go to that one and Music City, if it were to happen.

The others, while even on vacation already, just seem date-wise not to be a fit for my family (my Wife: "You think you're going where for Christmas?" LOL).

Last edited:
I know I will not be able to make it to any of the bowls this year...hope I get to do it in 2024 though.

As for your point - I think there are a lot of fans that would drive the hour to the PS Bowl and never even consider flying and staying for a min of 3 days to another bowl.
But let's say I lived 1 hour from the MC Bowl as a huge Rutgers fan- I would do anything possible to drive to that bowl game were as, I don't think I would ever bother to drive over to the Bronx vs sitting in my comfy man cave.

For some RU Fans
Game might be alright for those that haven't been to the City in a long time and decide that going to game will just be part of their tourist visit .
Dinner in Little Italy, Broadway Show, check out The Rockefeller Christmas Tree, a bite at Kat’z Deli. Always a must is a subway ride and going to and from Yankee Stadium on one does the trick.
Then find time to see one of the Christmas show at Radio City Music Hall
Go to Chelsea Piers and take a Holiday Jazz Cruise,you can enjoy some sightseeing and some good jazz while you do.
NYC's Museum of National History is also a good stop when doing tourist stuff.
So the Pinstripe might be a bummer, but for those from other parts seeing RU play might be a nice addition to enjoying a trip to NYC and the reason to make that trip for those living far from the City

Last edited:
Reactions: Skull83
I will 95% not go to Pinstripe but will 100% go to any other bowl

guarantee there are far more that will go regardless to any location

point being, don't be so sure:)

This article does a great job of explaining why bowl selection is not fair. I’ve provided this link previously. We are in the same bowl selection tier as Minnesota, Maryland, and Purdue, imo.

As an RU fan, one of the most interesting things about the Minnesota article from 2021 that Al posted yesterday is that the last section is about them being "screwed" when they were passed over for the PINSTRIPE BOWL because West Virginia had played Maryland in the regular season. Instead of the Pinstripe, the Gophers ended up playing and beating West Virginia in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl in Phoenix. That's the same part of the article where AreYouNUTS got the following quote: “Want to avoid it? Don’t lose to Bowling Green and Illinois.” So, the result of them being screwed was going to Phoenix!

I am firmly in the anywhere but the Pinstripe camp, not because of the lousy sight lines, the weather, or the quality of the turf, but simply because it's in our backyard. For me, the beauty of the bowl experience is the trip. I would love to go to Nashville or Vegas this year, but I sincerely had a wonderful time on all my previous bowl trips - including even Detroit, Toronto and Birmingham. I laughed reading that Minnesota article, because our trip to Phoenix in 2005 was off the charts awesome!

I have nothing against the Pinstripe Bowl, I personally would prefer to travel, but I certainly understand there are financial and other reasons (such as the timing with Christmas) that a lot of fans would have an easier time making it to the Bronx. That's cool, if that's where we end up I'll be there too.

I do think the Minnesota article shows that there are reasons fans from other parts of the country might like to visit the City during the holidays. MADHAT1 lists some of them in his post above. People have been predicting the demise of the Pinstripe Bowl basically since its inception, yet it's still here. Whether it's this year or not, I'm sure we'll be back there soon.

In the meantime, Nashville please!! 🤞 🙂 Go RU!!

Reactions: RUTGERS95
As an RU fan, one of the most interesting things about the Minnesota article from 2021 that Al posted yesterday is that the last section is about them being "screwed" when they were passed over for the PINSTRIPE BOWL because West Virginia had played Maryland in the regular season. Instead of the Pinstripe, the Gophers ended up playing and beating West Virginia in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl in Phoenix. That's the same part of the article where AreYouNUTS got the following quote: “Want to avoid it? Don’t lose to Bowling Green and Illinois.” So, the result of them being screwed was going to Phoenix!

I am firmly in the anywhere but the Pinstripe camp, not because of the lousy sight lines, the weather, or the quality of the turf, but simply because it's in our backyard. For me, the beauty of the bowl experience is the trip. I would love to go to Nashville or Vegas this year, but I sincerely had a wonderful time on all my previous bowl trips - including even Detroit, Toronto and Birmingham. I laughed reading that Minnesota article, because our trip to Phoenix in 2005 was off the charts awesome!

I have nothing against the Pinstripe Bowl, I personally would prefer to travel, but I certainly understand there are financial and other reasons (such as the timing with Christmas) that a lot of fans would have an easier time making it to the Bronx. That's cool, if that's where we end up I'll be there too.

I do think the Minnesota article shows that there are reasons fans from other parts of the country might like to visit the City during the holidays. MADHAT1 lists some of them in his post above. People have been predicting the demise of the Pinstripe Bowl basically since its inception, yet it's still here. Whether it's this year or not, I'm sure we'll be back there soon.

In the meantime, Nashville please!! 🤞 🙂 Go RU!!
well said, outstanding post!

Reactions: Skull83
99.9% is idiotic, untrue, and simply your OPINION. And, riddle me this genius: WHY are we "extremely fortunate" to be "going to a bowl" this year?

Can't wait for this idiotic response "live from mommy's basement!!!" :WooHoo:
Why do you continue to feed the troll?
Put that a##hat on Ignore.

Reactions: RUtrumpet92
Good for you, don't let all of these negative posters get you down, for every one of them there are multiple Rutgers fans who are looking forward to the game.
Looking forward to see Rutgers playing in a Bowl Game ? Absolutely
In that particular awful venue? Resounding no.

Good for you, don't let all of these negative posters get you down, for every one of them there are multiple Rutgers fans who are looking forward to the game.

Wow, you took the troll's bait!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT