ADVERTISEMENT

If GS came in following the last game, how many of the top 20 would he flip....

You ignore the period 2006-2010 before he got Halfley

2006 was 11-2. You indicate that 2007 and after was ignored.

Your anti GS bias must be getting in the way. The record is what it is 2007 and after--it is 38-26.

Not sure why 2006 is not included, but if you do its 49-28 after the program was lifted out of the cellar.

If GS got Hafley, why is that a mark on him--Who has Flood secured to recruit?

Be against GS for whatever reason you want but the facts are what they are re records.

2007 Rutgers 8–5 W International
2008 Rutgers 8–5 W Papajohns.com
2009 Rutgers 9–4 W St. Petersburg
2010 Rutgers 4–8
2011 Rutgers 9–4

I like Schiano. I hated that he left. I wouldn't mind seeing him back. However, this view of him being some kind of super recruiter is a myth that seems to have grown larger the longer he is gone. He was having his clock cleaned by Wanny at Pitt for several years until Wanny got fired and Schiano hired a good portion of his coaching (and recruiting) staff. (And Pitt was in the same crappy conference as we were.) So this idea that he would suddenly swoop in and start getting a lot of NJ top 10 stars is, I think, revisionist history.

However, this view of him being some kind of super recruiter is a myth that seems to have grown larger the longer he is gone.

Tell me about the players put into the NFL before GS? That list gets completed pretty quickly by comparison. Super--maybe not super but by RU standards--is there really an argument?

2006 was 11-2. You indicate that 2007 and after was ignored.

Your anti GS bias must be getting in the way. The record is what it is 2007 and after--it is 38-26.

Not sure why 2006 is not included, but if you do its 49-28 after the program was lifted out of the cellar.

If GS got Hafley, why is that a mark on him--Who has Flood secured to recruit?

Be against GS for whatever reason you want but the facts are what they are re records.

2007 Rutgers 8–5 W International
2008 Rutgers 8–5 W Papajohns.com
2009 Rutgers 9–4 W St. Petersburg
2010 Rutgers 4–8
2011 Rutgers 9–4
I was talking about two different things - in recruitng we had a period - 2005-2010 where we were in a stable BCS conference that we werent at the bottom of, but before Schiano brought in Halfley. If Schiano was an EXCELLENT recruiter, he wouldnt have needed him. It looks like Halfley was the excellent recruiter.

As for records - the facts are that against winning BCS teams Schiano was miserable, except one year - 2006. Not much better than Flood in reality. In Big East play (which is broader - it includes some bad teams) he was one game over .500 from 2005-2011. After 2006 I think we were 5th in Big East record even behind UConn.

So we can play with facts all we want. The complete picture if of a guy who never got beyond middling except one really awesome year. Its a pretty big leap of faith to expect him to do it here when he couldnt do it before. Might as well take that leap with someone else who wont have us completely over the barrel.

Last edited:
I think everyone has read the article, it is still one thing to say you have changed then actually changing. Even if he has changed, not sure of the impact that would have on flipping kids in the 2016 class.

Michael Corleone said: "I'm gonna change. I'll change. I've learned that I have the strength to change." Right before this:

2389137_o.gif

I was never a big fan of GS as a game day coach, but if he came back the recruiting would definitely pick up due to the fact that he has NFL Head Coach on his resume. And most high schools stars are shooting for the NFL.

Last edited:
I like Schiano. I hated that he left. I wouldn't mind seeing him back. However, this view of him being some kind of super recruiter is a myth that seems to have grown larger the longer he is gone. He was having his clock cleaned by Wanny at Pitt for several years until Wanny got fired and Schiano hired a good portion of his coaching (and recruiting) staff. (And Pitt was in the same crappy conference as we were.) So this idea that he would suddenly swoop in and start getting a lot of NJ top 10 stars is, I think, revisionist history.

Want to know why Wanny was beating us in recruiting? Because he was an NFL head coach before Pitt.

These kids want to play in the NFL, That's what matters, period. He was a HC in the NFL and is best friends with the HC of arguably the best NFL franchise of all time. And his players get drafted by them.

Hire Schiano and let's get this done. Sick of all the idiots that say they don't want him. You're clueless and shouldn't have any right to talk football if you don't think Schiano would take Rutgers Football to a whole other level.

Reactions: Virginiarufan

Who exactly would get excited for a coach that failed in the NFL, hasn't been able to find work in 2 years and never won a single conference championship in college?

Probably only people on this message board

You're so right after all, we have KF, who can recruit with the best of the Pop Warner coaches.

Coach Schiano will be coaching next season, this is a fact! The reason: "He wants to". We have a HC so there is no opening at RU. Our coach should be supported while he is in that position. If, an when, a HC position becomes available at RU everyone on this board should drop to their knees and pray to their Creator that they would be able to get the Coach. Trust me we need him a lot more than he needs us!
Ah, but one little detail......he can't coach......he can organize a program, but on gameday he is remarkably weak (and couldn't land good/B1G level coordinators b/c they won't work with Mr. "I'm in charge of everything whether I'm good at it or not"

Last edited:
Good - hopefully he gets it, so this board will stop talking about him coming here. Let him go .500 down there for a while.

LOL at GS taking OSU down. The guys record against winning P5 teams is almost as bad as Flood's. and I think if you exclude 2006 is probably AS bad.

Off the top of my head (non p5) [6-6] bold for current P5, underlined for ranked at time, *won conference

Schiano:

06: Ville*, USF, KSU (Ohio, Navy) [Pitt]
07: USF (Navy)
08; Pitt, USF, UConn [NC State]
09: UConn, USF
10: UConn* (FIU, Army)
11: Cincy (Ohio) [Pitt, ISU]

Flood

12: Cuse, Cincy
14: Navy, Maryland [UNC]

You were not even close. At MOST Indiana with a few miracles could be added this year.

Want to know why Wanny was beating us in recruiting? Because he was an NFL head coach before Pitt.

These kids want to play in the NFL, That's what matters, period. He was a HC in the NFL and is best friends with the HC of arguably the best NFL franchise of all time. And his players get drafted by them.

Hire Schiano and let's get this done. Sick of all the idiots that say they don't want him. You're clueless and shouldn't have any right to talk football if you don't think Schiano would take Rutgers Football to a whole other level.
You have reading comprehension issues?? I said I wouldn't mind having him back. He would probably improve recruiting too. But this idea that he was some masterful recruiter is a fallacy. I hope your opinion is right - that he 'd take RU to another level... But you have nothing but your opinion to back it up.

You have reading comprehension issues?? I said I wouldn't mind having him back. He would probably improve recruiting too. But this idea that he was some masterful recruiter is a fallacy. I hope your opinion is right - that he 'd take RU to another level... But you have nothing but your opinion to back it up.

It was a general statement that I quoted your post to simply make a point. Poor choice on my part.

IMO he would be a masterful recruiter the second time around simply because of the NFL experience (regardless of his record) combined with the B1G.

He had a team in the worst conference consistently finish in the 30's nationally. That's pretty good and really good compared to where we are now. Would love to see him get a chance in the big.

Let me take this a different direction. (with all due respect for Julie..and I know GS working for Barchi would be difficult)..but what if Greg was brought in to be AD? Now there is something the other schools wouldn't be offering. And talk about a guy who could get that things done? He created the R equity. He got the stadium. He painted the town as red as Clint Eastwood did. You want to talk about building an ATHLETIC Program and holding folks accountable? Turn him lose on Rutgers.

I think he could bring in the right coaches. I think him at the top would bring in instant credibility. Right where he belongs. Not making the X_O calls, but setting the tone and being the face of Rutgers Athletics in the B1G. (no way it happens with our small thinking program..but a guy can dream , right?)

Ah, but one little detail......he can't coach......he can organize a program, but on gameday he is remarkably weak (and could'nt land good/B1G level coordinators b/c they won't work with Mr. "I'm in charge of everything whether I'm good at it or not"

Stick with the band you have enough to do there. You have no idea who he could get as coordinators. Give him a prope budget and stay out of his way. He would do quite well.

1984 -- interesting thought! I don't think he would go for it 'cause he still wants to coach. But how about bringing him for a few years as coach, make him AD in waiting. Should satisfy those who think we'd plateau at 8-4 -- he could then hire his own coach, move up to AD, and can you imagine him at those Admin and BOG meetings?

Let me take this a different direction. (with all due respect for Julie..and I know GS working for Barchi would be difficult)..but what if Greg was brought in to be AD? Now there is something the other schools wouldn't be offering. And talk about a guy who could get that things done? He created the R equity. He got the stadium. He painted the town as red as Clint Eastwood did. You want to talk about building an ATHLETIC Program and holding folks accountable? Turn him lose on Rutgers.

I think he could bring in the right coaches. I think him at the top would bring in instant credibility. Right where he belongs. Not making the X_O calls, but setting the tone and being the face of Rutgers Athletics in the B1G. (no way it happens with our small thinking program..but a guy can dream , right?)
Do you really think Schiano would work for AD money?

Stick with the band you have enough to do there. You have no idea who he could get as coordinators. Give him a prope budget and stay out of his way. He would do quite well.
I was in the hi-stepping band in the late 70's. GS's rep is well known, and confirmed. Remarkable program organizer/visionary, very good recruiter, and unfortunately, has to be too involved in game day decisions, and this is not a strength. We could only land "B" level, or unproven young buc coordinators, b/c they understand coming in Greg tells them what to do.
How about this idea - he takes a 1 million per year contract, uses money that would go to a more expensive head coach towards staff, inclusive of very good coordinators, and lets them do their thing. He oversees the program, and recruits. Then we would be talking. Unfortunately, he is into GS.

I was in the hi-stepping band in the late 70's. GS's rep is well known, and confirmed. Remarkable program organizer/visionary, very good recruiter, and unfortunately, has to be too involved in game day decisions, and this is not a strength. We could only land "B" level, or unproven young buc coordinators, b/c they understand coming in Greg tells them what to do.
How about this idea - he takes a 1 million per year contract, uses money that would go to a more expensive head coach towards staff, inclusive of very good coordinators, and lets them do their thing. He oversees the program, and recruits. Then we would be talking. Unfortunately, he is into GS.

Tell you what. How about you work for about 40% of your salary and get criticized by people who don't even know you and rely on message board hearsay and sour grapes to evaluate you! Then you can increase your donation to the band program (You do donate don't you?) and spend some of your own money not other peoples. And it has nothing to do with him being into GS - it is called Capitalism! I repeat "We need him a lot more than he needs us!" None of this matters of course because we have a HC and he deserves our full support.

before the February signing date? I bet a few.

Boy would love to see him recruit with the B1G affiliation to see how that would turn out.

I think Schiano would kill it recruiting with B1G....he couldn't flip too many because their are limited spots...maybe he would just get those uncommitted, like Fuller, and dare I say....Gary.

Who exactly would get excited for a coach that failed in the NFL, hasn't been able to find work in 2 years and never won a single conference championship in college?

Worked out well at a little school on the west coast called USC ....

Reactions: chase07470

Care to explain then why Jim Mora JR has been able to do it at UCLA?

Jesus, dude, have you seen his defenses? For fvck's sake he knocked it out of the park. And you do realize you mentioned that he failed "in the NFL," right? As in, the most elite league there is? As in, Tampa has sucked since he left so maybe it wasn't him?
If it's true that he's learned not to micromanage his coaches, and he was given money to bring in an OC, A LOT of players would make RU their destination.

What do people think are realistic expectations for Rutgers? I would like to see us ranked in top 25 at some point at least 1/2 the years.

Schiano had us close, his recruiting keot improving, and our computer rankings were always above our recruiting 5-10 spots (except in '10).

Now our 4 year average recruiting rank has regressed from when Schiano left. With Schiano back (I would be happy) I think we would start improving. However, prob take another 3-5 years to become a team getti g in the top 25 regularly.

Not good enough. Has to be next year. That's what's is expected...no...demanded by the anti-Schianos. And it should be easy. This IS one of the most desirable destinations for coaches and players. In fact, it's sooooo desirable we shouldn't have to pay very much.

I'd rather keep Flood another year over bringing in Schiano. Rehiring Schiano might have some short-term benefits, but long-term would be one of the worst things to happen to Rutgers football, because if we were to rehire Schiano we'd be stuck with him. You can't turn around and fire him after he plateaus at 7 or 8 win regular seasons.
Stupid post , you are just a hater.

Jesus, dude, have you seen his defenses? For fvck's sake he knocked it out of the park. And you do realize you mentioned that he failed "in the NFL," right? As in, the most elite league there is? As in, Tampa has sucked since he left so maybe it wasn't him?
If it's true that he's learned not to micromanage his coaches, and he was given money to bring in an OC, A LOT of players would make RU their destination.
Last sentence very true, but first word speaks volumes "IF" BTW, his defenses were really good, but the blitzes (off the edge) were predictable (at least to Randy Edsall)

Off the top of my head (non p5) [6-6] bold for current P5, underlined for ranked at time, *won conference

Schiano:

06: Ville*, USF, KSU (Ohio, Navy) [Pitt]
07: USF (Navy)
08; Pitt, USF, UConn [NC State]
09: UConn, USF
10: UConn* (FIU, Army)
11: Cincy (Ohio) [Pitt, ISU]

Flood

12: Cuse, Cincy
14: Navy, Maryland [UNC]

You were not even close. At MOST Indiana with a few miracles could be added this year.
So Schiano had 3 wins against current P5 teams that ended the season with winning records in 6 years and Flood has two in four years. Seems the same to me (None of those 6-6 teams went on to win bowls to get to 7-6).

Schiano sucked!

Only 1 ten win season when we were in the Big Least. 2006 was absolutely wonderful but it was followed by year after year of underachieving.

Years of getting owned by Cincy and West Virginia.

We returned all of our skill position guys in 2007 and couldn't win 10 games.

2008 we still had Tell, Britt and Underwood and started 1-5.

2009 was supposed to be a huge year for us. The prognosticators had us as favorites to win the BE. That ended fairly quickly at home against Cincy.

Schiano sucked!

Only 1 ten win season when we were in the Big Least. 2006 was absolutely wonderful but it was followed by year after year of underachieving.

Years of getting owned by Cincy and West Virginia.

We returned all of our skill position guys in 2007 and couldn't win 10 games.

2008 we still had Tell, Britt and Underwood and started 1-5.

2009 was supposed to be a huge year for us. The prognosticators had us as favorites to win the BE. That ended fairly quickly at home against Cincy.
THIS was my buddies theme about GS....."he had all of those future NFL players, and couldn't win"

Reactions: BaseballFan913
"Trust me" That's what Julie Herman said...I would trust Sciano more than anyone else available out there. He did not fail in Tampa. He had mummies for players. I talked to Floridians in his second year there and they still thought he was working well. Who recruited Leonard, Rice, Sanu, Kroft, the McCourties, Davis? To come to the Big East? AAC? Now you got something to work with. Sciano's tough and has a fire in the belly for success. Plus he's shot his wad as a TV analyst. Beat Army and Maryland and Welcome Home, Greg!

THIS was my buddies theme about GS....."he had all of those future NFL players, and couldn't win"

Well, my buddy says that Rutgers fans bitching about Schiano's weaknesses is kinda like a guy who has been dating nothing but fugly women for years finally getting a date with a hot chick and complaining that she's not hot enough for him. He says RU fans are just lucky that GS stayed in the relationship as long as he did. And that the odds of him coming back or RU getting someone better are zero.

Such BS. He is getting a severance package of $3 million per year. He hasn't looked for work other than commentary which is a pretty good gig if you can get it. He is set for life. Keep on dreaming that we can do better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT