ADVERTISEMENT

IF I were Franklin

RUsilencer

Sophomore
Oct 27, 2013
Alexander Library
I would throw the ball 60x next week and exploit Rossi's Wonder Bread defensive scheme. Let's hope that Rossi actually watches some film and realizes his scheme was an absolute abortion.

Note to Rossi: The odds of getting beat deep are much smaller on 3rd and 4 than 1st and 10. Man up on 3rd and short damn it!!! Most teams tell their QB not to go for low percentage deep balls to get off the field. Take that advice for free Joe. Someone watch the tape and see our safeties are 30 yards deep on 3rd and short.

Reactions: Badgerc
If I were Franklin would stack the box, blitz and pressure ... Night game, 105k fans ... Easy to get rattled.

Agree with both replies to this thread:

1. Obviously every team underneath the sun will be testing our secondary.based on yesterday's performance
2. Pressure on a young QB in his first road game is #1 in the defensive playbook

Reactions: RUsilencer
I'm sure Rossi watches the film and knows. The problem is he doesn't know how to fix it.

Reactions: beaced
The WSU OL surprised me in this game...PSU does not seem to have the same OL WSU has. Throwing the ball all day may not work out as well for Hack.
What worried me more is that WSU did run, they usually got 4 or more yds and were not taken down on first hit.

Maybe HCKF can read this thread and tell him. Being that all negative Flood posts have been cleaned, I am sure it's for his reading enjoyment. Coach, you don't necessarily suck but your Defensive Coordinator does!

Never thought zone meant "don't cover the receiver"
but our guys too often seemed glued to their spots and only moved when the ball was thrown
(see final touchdown as our five guys lined up across the field never moved to cover the guy who caught the TD)
With only four rushing you could man up and still have safety help deep.
So frustrating watching us play soft zone
And the times we sent five rushers we did hit the QB a few times
Why not more of that?
Same soft D that killed us in the bowl against Notre Dame

Reactions: JoeRU0304
The one thing about Nova, he was able to handle a large away crowd, not allowing it to bother his play... I was at one of his finest games, the away Arkansas game, where he was great

We don't know if either of our qbs are up to this task..... The better passing qb could be the most nervous for a game like this..... Who is to say Rettig would handle it, or Laviano?

Other wise

My fear now is that we will not get near Hackenberg and he has a solid game..... From what we saw Saturday, I doubt we approach what Temple did... Our defensive line let us down

PSU wishes they had WSUs OL and friendly Pac-12 officials. Short of that I don't see PSU trying what WSU did yesterday as a feasible approach for winning next Saturday. I am also thoroughly unimpressed by PSU WRs. The fact that Blacknall can't seem to crack their lineup makes me think that he wasn't as big of a loss that he was made out when he flipped.

The WSU OL surprised me in this game...PSU does not seem to have the same OL WSU has. Throwing the ball all day may not work out as well for Hack.
What worried me more is that WSU did run, they usually got 4 or more yds and were not taken down on first hit.
This X10.

Some of you guys are still in the meltdown and pile on mode.

I would throw the ball 60x next week and exploit Rossi's Wonder Bread defensive scheme. Let's hope that Rossi actually watches some film and realizes his scheme was an absolute abortion.

Note to Rossi: The odds of getting beat deep are much smaller on 3rd and 4 than 1st and 10. Man up on 3rd and short damn it!!! Most teams tell their QB not to go for low percentage deep balls to get off the field. Take that advice for free Joe. Someone watch the tape and see our safeties are 30 yards deep on 3rd and short.

PSU should of course try to test our all freshman DB corps, but Rossi's poor performance against WSU's air raid offense has little relevance to stopping PSU's offense. Totally different scheme with different personnel. With PSU's O line, they can't afford to spread you out and go with 5 WRs very often without getting Hackenberg killed. The key to stopping PSU is stopping the run and getting constant pressure on Hackenberg. That's what Rossi did last year with great success.

PSU should of course try to test our all freshman DB corps, but Rossi's poor performance against WSU's air raid offense has little relevance to stopping PSU's offense. Totally different scheme with different personnel. With PSU's O line, they can't afford to spread you out and go with 5 WRs very often without getting Hackenberg killed. The key to stopping PSU is stopping the run and getting constant pressure on Hackenberg. That's what Rossi did last year with great success.
So this is what I don't get you can blitz psu but teams are forbidden from blitzing Washington St.. I mean coming into the game Falk's biggest knocks we're his indecision and holding onto the ball to long. Rossi's solution rush 4, cover 2 zone all game except 6 blitzes. Result of blitzes 5 incompletions/ 1 completion. They pressured him and that indecision caused bad passes. Why is it a good idea to rattle Hackenburg but not Falk this was a mind numbing decision by Rossi. I can't figure it out maybe you can help me out because I can't see why we didn't try to speed up Falk's internal clock as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT