ADVERTISEMENT

If Rutgers beats Washington...

armenius

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 5, 2011
Will Rutgers find its way into the "Others Receiving Votes" list on either Top 25 poll after week 1 or will they call the Huskies overrated and brush us aside?

No shot. Why is this even a thought. We aren't a real threat for any top list this year.

I think a more pertinent question is, if we beat Washington, how long would it take certain posters to completely dissociate the win from Laviano?

Reactions: RUMountie and mdk01
Will Rutgers find its way into the "Others Receiving Votes" list on either Top 25 poll after week 1 or will they call the Huskies overrated and brush us aside?
The answer to your question is they will say the Huskies are overrated. But they will give glowing reviews to Ash & Co., and will point out that the turnaround at Rutgers might finally be happening.

No shot. Why is this even a thought. We aren't a real threat for any top list this year.
why isn't it? Are we gonna end up ranked? doubtful but going into last season Iowa was picked to finish 4th in the West and Ferentz was at the top of everyone's hot seat list. they went to the Rose Bowl and are pre season top 10 now. Did they get better players overnight or did the pundits get it wrong again? I personally think the love fest for Washington is a bit over the top right now.

The answer to your question is they will say the Huskies are overrated. But they will give glowing reviews to Ash & Co., and will point out that the turnaround at Rutgers might finally be happening.
they would be right but a P5 OOC win on the road is a good thing

Reactions: Alaska_Dawg
Having been a fan for 35 years, the realist in me says we would be Washington and lose to Howard the next week, thereby killing any positive press we had gained from the win.

Rutgers no way gets votes that fast. Their getting no love pre-season,with an average rank so far of #90 among 37 sites average with about another 20 or sites to come on line. Rutgers is ranked as low as #104,unreal, and as high as #57, which would be a great start to the Ash era if that comes true. http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Rutgers no way gets votes that fast. Their getting no love pre-season,with an average rank so far of #90 among 37 sites average with about another 20 or sites to come on line. Rutgers is ranked as low as #104,unreal, and as high as #57, which would be a great start to the Ash era if that comes true. http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm
There are a lot of pretty shitty programs ranked ahead of us. It kinda shows just how bad a job Fudd did here after Greg turned us into a legit college program.

Washington will be considered overrated and called a paper tiger by all the pundits who invented them. If they praise Ash, they'll praise his time and learning under Urban Meyer at Ohio State. If we won, we (Rutgers) would be an afterthought in our own win.

If we beat Washington they will drop like a stone in the rankings and RU will receive a small bump, maybe 5to 10 places. No one believes the Knights are any good so the Huskies will be viewed as being night overrated.

Reactions: MV9000
why isn't it? Are we gonna end up ranked? doubtful but going into last season Iowa was picked to finish 4th in the West and Ferentz was at the top of everyone's hot seat list. they went to the Rose Bowl and are pre season top 10 now. Did they get better players overnight or did the pundits get it wrong again? I personally think the love fest for Washington is a bit over the top right now.

I personally find the love fest for Washington over the top as well. They are a very good team. In regards to Iowa, they proved their worth. They were rewarded as to the results of a great season. Putting them in pre season top 10 is very different than one game in which many will consider a fluke. If and that's a HUGE "if" we win all analysts have a slew of excuses and will still not put us into Top 25 consideration. You all get too emotional about this stuff and unrealistic.

I do hope we win however, i think we have a fighting shot in almost every game sans a few.

Actually, both. RU would get votes (there are B1G voters) but not make the Top 25. Washington would also be called overrated.

Reactions: RU in IM
Definitely won't happen ! But it might force Vegas to up the line for Howard. That probably doesn't matter either.
Really, let's take it one week at a time.

Who really cares about any poll except for the one that comes out in late October. Polls mean nothing! Now press on ESPN on us upsetting Washington is more important for recruiting.

Reactions: satnom
I think we would get 1 or 2 votes, but obviously be nowhere near the actual top 25. I also think Washington would drop out. I think the only way we get strong consideration for a top 25 ranking is with wins over Washington, Howard, New Mexico and Iowa to start the season. As Rutgers fans, we all want that to happen, but I know that's a tough ask. We shall see. Real excited for the season to start!

If RU beats Washington , Howard , New Mexico and Iowa to start off 4-0 that should be good enough for a top 10 ranking.

We are not in the big east anymore guys...

We beat Washington on the road we either sneak in at 23-25...or just below

3-0 will get us to 22-23 ranked when Iowa comes to town....probably ranked 10-12

If we run out September....4-0 would get us up to 16-17...two wins over top 15 teams gets us there

No. Too much of a leap from the consensus that has RU in the 80/90 range preseason.
Never know, but could be winning will impress someone enough to put RU in their Top 25 list.. But unless it's a blowout win by Rutgers what I said is highly unlikely and agree leaping from where RU was to top 25 doesn't have much of a chance .

Most likely scenario after/if Rutgers beats Washington the Huskies will be called overrated and that will keep RU from being considered for anyone's top 25 list.

We are not in the big east anymore guys...

We beat Washington on the road we either sneak in at 23-25...or just below

3-0 will get us to 22-23 ranked when Iowa comes to town....probably ranked 10-12

If we run out September....4-0 would get us up to 16-17...two wins over top 15 teams gets us there
I would say just below, but would have shown pre-season rating was inaccurate and RU will have gained respect because of beating the Huskies.
But some will just claim Washington was overrated and didn't deserve to be in the top 25 and that will help RU from getting all the respect it deserved after beating the Huskies at their house.

Where pre-season mags/publications have RU among all of FBS matters not - this is not how AP or coaches poll voting works. Its not as though votes would need to* rise RU up 60 slots to get into the receiving votes category - instead, one voter needs to be impressed enough with the win that we receive their vote somewhere in top 25. My bet is we'd get 2 or 3. That said, it will take a 4-0 start to get into the top 25 (a win over Iowa) would be meaningful and validate the UW win. At 4-0, we are somewhere around 20. By the way, that would be INSANE!

I personally find the love fest for Washington over the top as well. They are a very good team. In regards to Iowa, they proved their worth. They were rewarded as to the results of a great season. Putting them in pre season top 10 is very different than one game in which many will consider a fluke. If and that's a HUGE "if" we win all analysts have a slew of excuses and will still not put us into Top 25 consideration. You all get too emotional about this stuff and unrealistic.

I do hope we win however, i think we have a fighting shot in almost every game sans a few.
I don't think you really read my post. My Iowa analogy was in reference to last season and the how pundits said they would t be good.

Where pre-season mags/publications have RU among all of FBS matters not - this is not how AP or coaches poll voting works. Its not as though votes would need to* rise RU up 60 slots to get into the receiving votes category - instead, one voter needs to be impressed enough with the win that we receive their vote somewhere in top 25. My bet is we'd get 2 or 3. That said, it will take a 4-0 start to get into the top 25 (a win over Iowa) would be meaningful and validate the UW win. At 4-0, we are somewhere around 20. By the way, that would be INSANE!

Unfortunately, those games are followed by Ohio State and Michigan....

Never know, but could be winning will impress someone enough to put RU in their Top 25 list.. But unless it's a blowout win by Rutgers what I said is highly unlikely and agree leaping from where RU was to top 25 doesn't have much of a chance .

Most likely scenario after/if Rutgers beats Washington the Huskies will be called overrated and that will keep RU from being considered for anyone's top 25 list.

Yup, a Rutgers win would do more to harm Washington than help the Scarlet Knights. Pollsters would likely take a wait-and-see approach on RU with the Iowa game a few weeks away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT