ADVERTISEMENT

In 10 days, Schiano has out-recruited Ash’s last 10 months

Well, which person would you want to play for?

schianoface_medium.gif

OR
rutgerss.0.gif

Ash was like a fuel oil delivery guy or meter reader etc. He could pull-up and say "hi" and do his job well. Then he would be gone without leaving much of an impression. Then you could be 80 and not be able to recall any of the dozens you had at your house.

I still think flood was worse for many reasons
I feel like at least Flood has his schtick and a decent platform to run on. Ash was all yay the hunt and we’re going to get better despite going backwards the last few years

I feel like at least Flood has his schtick and a decent platform to run on. Ash was all yay the hunt and we’re going to get better despite going backwards the last few years

I just acknowledge that RU is a special kind of place with its own politics and dysfunction so im never surprised when we get external hires who come here and really have a rude awakening. From the media treatment, to political games to intricate webs of recruiting dynamics ( north vs south, parochials, etc). So flood gets an even worse grade from me because he inherited better players, had a view from the inside and somehow mucked it all up and ended with a scandal.

Flood also had better assistants which masked how terrible he was.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUJohnny and czxqa
Not even close...he did some dumb things but Ash is historically bad.

With that said, I really like what GS has done so far and he is setting a very positive tone for Rutgers in NJ. His next few hirings are going to be important.
I have a bit of a different take than many at this time and it has changed since Greg came back.
I was of the thought to really load up his staff with good coaches with strong/respected ties to NJ. While there are a couple more guys on his radar that fit that bill, I think if he gets those couple more NJ homeruns, he should fill out the rest with just the best damn coaches he can find and make a statement to NJ and everyone else that he is thinking B1G and acting like an elite coach. It is the first time in a while that I am back to my old feeling that Rutgers is uniquely in a place that we could turn ourselves into a player faster than many people realize.

I just acknowledge that RU is a special kind of place with its own politics and dysfunction so im never surprised when we get external hires who come here and really have a rude awakening. From the media treatment, to political games to intricate webs of recruiting dynamics ( north vs south, parochials, etc). So flood gets an even worse grade from me because he inherited better players, had a view from the inside and somehow mucked it all up and ended with a scandal.

Flood also had better assistants which masked how terrible he was.

Flood had better assistants because he was a decent coach! Ash hired Buh.

Reactions: scripts and redking
Flood inherited a real team with real players which certainly made the transition a lot easier than what was left when Ash arrived. However, I think Flood was way better as a coach.
Ash had no idea how to recruit. Anyone on this board could recruit well if we were at OSU.
How hard is it to get a top recruit to buy in on OSU???

My favorite was "faith without results". The gif of Ash staring at 70-0 was probably the moment that he realized that he was a dead man walking.

Not even close...he did some dumb things but Ash is historically bad.

With that said, I really like what GS has done so far and he is setting a very positive tone for Rutgers in NJ. His next few hirings are going to be important.
I have a bit of a different take than many at this time and it has changed since Greg came back.
I was of the thought to really load up his staff with good coaches with strong/respected ties to NJ. While there are a couple more guys on his radar that fit that bill, I think if he gets those couple more NJ homeruns, he should fill out the rest with just the best damn coaches he can find and make a statement to NJ and everyone else that he is thinking B1G and acting like an elite coach. It is the first time in a while that I am back to my old feeling that Rutgers is uniquely in a place that we could turn ourselves into a player faster than many people realize.

we got a 1st time young head coach who IMO was taken advantage of. He didn't know what he was getting into, this is a special place that really needs a guy with vision and just plain old stubbornness to succeed. Ash was hired on a budget, and hamstrung with a weak assistant salary pool to boot. The guy had no shot. He also inherited a program in trouble. This is why although he ended up being bad, he can and will be easily forgotten. I will never forget what Flood did. He had no excuses, he was in the program, he knew what needed to be done. He inherited a full cupboard and he freaking slacked off and then pulled some shady shit on top of it. He is the cancer. Forever will be in my mind.

Flood inherited a real team with real players which certainly made the transition a lot easier than what was left when Ash arrived. However, I think Flood was way better as a coach.
Ash had no idea how to recruit. Anyone on this board could recruit well if we were at OSU.
How hard is it to get a top recruit to buy in on OSU???
He didn't understand the politics. I swear you guys who still live in NJ don't get how different it is from the rest of the country. Ash goes to any other "minor" program and he does way better than here. He was thrown to the NJ "wolves" here and didn't expect it. No true state identity, no true loyalty to the "home" school. All the major and even minor programs combing it for talent. I'm really not trying to make excuses for him. I just sympathize as someone who has taken a job and only upon starting it realizing what a shit show it truly was. Its hard to be prepared for what he stepped into. Flood came from within and didn't have those excuses. Thats why Schiano was and still is the only man for this job.

Also If we ever hire another AD - you guys bitch about not having someone with big football experience. Newsflash- we can never hire someone with that! Its the same deal as stated above. Hobbs got his lesson in it- he needs to stay now and learn from it. You get someone from a Big 10 school- they will be so in over their heads its going to be Julie 2.0 again. I promise you. Not a single state eats their young the way NJ does.

we got a 1st time young head coach who IMO was taken advantage of. He didn't know what he was getting into, this is a special place that really needs a guy with vision and just plain old stubbornness to succeed. Ash was hired on a budget, and hamstrung with a weak assistant salary pool to boot. The guy had no shot. He also inherited a program in trouble. This is why although he ended up being bad, he can and will be easily forgotten. I will never forget what Flood did. He had no excuses, he was in the program, he knew what needed to be done. He inherited a full cupboard and he freaking slacked off and then pulled some shady shit on top of it. He is the cancer. Forever will be in my mind.
You give Ash a pass, but you lay it all on Flood? Flood had no business being named the head coach. The same excuse you provided for Ash is more true for Flood. They gave him peanuts for support. Flood may have been more ill-equipped than Ash in some aspects of the job because at least Ash saw how the big boys of the conference played the game and what they had in terms of facilities. Ash was given an awful lot of support in $$ and facilities, and it was clear he was not head coach material.

That is no defense of Flood. He cut corners. But it is interesting to see how Schiano had to push extremely hard for facility upgrades as part of his contract. What was Flood working with when competing against other B1G and P5 teams for recruits? A lot less than Ash. He was inherently handicapped and further handicapped by a lack of resources. At least when he had a first rate OC in Friedgen, he put up a decent season on the field albeit with Greg's recruits.

Just damn glad Greg is back and watching him work his magic with recruiting.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
You give Ash a pass, but you lay it all on Flood? Flood had no business being named the head coach. The same excuse you provided for Ash is more true for Flood. They gave him peanuts for support. Flood may have been more ill-equipped than Ash in some aspects of the job because at least Ash saw how the big boys of the conference played the game and what they had in terms of facilities. Ash was given an awful lot of support in $$ and facilities, and it was clear he was not head coach material.

That is no defense of Flood. He cut corners. But it is interesting to see how Schiano had to push extremely hard for facility upgrades as part of his contract. What was Flood working with when competing against other B1G and P5 teams for recruits? A lot less than Ash. He was inherently handicapped and further handicapped by a lack of resources. At least when he had a first rate OC in Friedgen, he put up a decent season on the field albeit with Greg's recruits.

Just damn glad Greg is back and watching him work his magic with recruiting.
Yeah - i lay it all on a guy who went to a concert while his staff game planned. That is straight up laziness- no excuses. Flood knew what he was getting himself into. No excuse for that either. If he didn't like it- he shouldn't have taken it.

At least Ash saw that facilities needed improvements and pushed for that. He should get some credit for it.

the guy could find talent. He had Barkley and Taylor committed here. He just couldn’t keep them or some of his key players from getting kicked off of the team.

Well, which person would you want to play for?

schianoface_medium.gif

OR
rutgerss.0.gif
It was that game watching Ash's crestfallen beaten-down look on his face that I knew he wasn't gonna make it. I know, I know the score of course was brutal enough....but a fighter would look ready to explode, glaring and spitting bullets over at Hairball for rubbing this game in his team's face. Not Ash, he just looked resigned to the beating. No fire.

Reactions: scripts
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT