ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting/odd things you have seen at Rutgers stadium

How about the giant food fight during a Villanova game when they closed the dining halls (Freshman orientation). Who's idea was it to include apples?

I miss the go Rutgers beat Visitor sign in the north end zone

Its been awhile so my memory is fuzzy. I believe twice during the 2000s people got on the field.

I think one time someone in the band jumped the fence and fought the other team mascot?

There was another time someone jumped the fence and then waved a flag in the endzone (not sure if it was a rutgers flag or opponents) and he eluded security across the field and i think he finally got nabbed by the old cannon hill

Anyone that remembers better please chime in

Reactions: BillyC80
I recall a game against the Army during the early Greg 1.0 years where one of the cadets climbed the scoreboard and iirc was waiving an Army flag from the top. This was prior to the stadium being enclosed. Kid was arrested and I remember some of the army brass who were on the field walking over to try to talk the cops out of it. Hope the young man was not reprimanded to severely by the Academy. Always wondered what happened afterward. Kid is probably a general by now.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and thegock
I recall a game against the Army during the early Greg 1.0 years where one of the cadets climbed the scoreboard and iirc was waiving an Army flag from the top. This was prior to the stadium being enclosed. Kid was arrested and I remember some of the army brass who were on the field walking over to try to talk the cops out of it. Hope the young man was not reprimanded to severely by the Academy. Always wondered what happened afterward. Kid is probably a general by now.
Obviously his physical training worked. Impressive.

Or my green apple. When I asked why, the guard said it was because I could use it to.smoke a joint.

Oh.
Most interesting thing I see in our stadium are Coeds. There weren't any when I was at RU from 1965-1969.

Also, don't plow the darned field when we're beating WVU at halftime!!

First game in the new stadium, 1994. My wife was 8 months pregnant. We sat down in our seats, leaned back, and the whole bench went backward....we looked up and saw our feet! The bench hadn't been bolted in.. The yellow jacket ushers came running and helped us up and moved our seats for that game. Needless to say we were very careful when we sat down next game.

My wife was fine, by the way, just surprised.
I was expecting this story to end differently... saying hello to your 27 year old daughter Scarlet.

Reactions: RUBlackout
Again, that’s their problem. And we’re on the same page.👍

There are gay firemen too. More than a few. The only thing that matters is can they do the job or not.

In Michael Sam’s situation he apparently wasn’t good enough. Pretty good in college but the NFL is another level.

Horse was at giants stadium

Oh right! My bad.

Reactions: Plum Street
Fence collapsing as students were hamming it up for the camera.

Horse drawing a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty

The incredible number of people that claim to have been to both the infamous Temple game and WVU game in horrific weather conditions.
I can honestly say I was there for both AND on the "right" (which means the WRONG - lol) TD Club bus for the infamous Army game at West Point.

I wonder how many can claim that trifecta?

Reactions: kupuna133
Thanks for the memory....I forgot all about that skydiver breaking his leg. I seem to remember that being the opening of the infamous VT game...anyone know?

Yeah I remember that. It was an Army parachuter IIRC.

I can honestly say I was there for both AND on the "right" (which means the WRONG - lol) TD Club bus for the infamous Army game at West Point.

2 out of 3 for me. Temple and WVU. Although I have heard the TD Club bus story, in such great detail, from people that were on board I feel like I was there. Can't imagine how that driver was able to remain employed after that night...

I know the bus got lost somewhere in NY?
Was that also the trip that resulted in not being able to drink alcohol on those bus trips ?

Reactions: MrsScrew
The looks on the faces of Arkansas fans when they lost to us was great! I sat in the section next to their fans and one guy was chirping the whole game about how great the SEC was.

I know the bus got lost somewhere in NY?
Was that also the trip that resulted in not being able to drink alcohol on those bus trips ?
That part I don't recall.

But it was certainly an adventure. Both my parents joined me that night, my wife smartly stayed home LOL. I can't remember the year but they are still with us at 91 and 88, respectively, so they weren't spring chickens then either. LOL

Reactions: Plum Street
The looks on the faces of Arkansas fans when they lost to us was great! I sat in the section next to their fans and one guy was chirping the whole game about how great the SEC was.
I had some young Razorback fans, all dressed to the nines, around me drunkingly cheer when when of our guys got hurt and stayed down..."this is how we do it in the S E C!", even the nicely dressed young ladies were doing it too.

By the time of the comeback they were looong gone. Too wasted to stick around.

That part I don't recall.

But it was certainly an adventure. Both my parents joined me that night, my wife smartly stayed home LOL. I can't remember the year but they are still with us at 91 and 88, respectively, so they weren't spring chickens then either. LOL
Nov. 2007 iirc. Wasn't on the TDClub bus trip but made the drive up to WP through that horrible weather and slippery road conditions. Remember driving (more crawling because of lane closure and rubbernecking) past an accident on a highway in northern NJ where a car had flipped and was mangled into the concrete median barrier.

Damn that is a horrible and sad story . How come I have never heard of this ?
It definitely happened. It was a few years before I got to campus. Some of my fraternity brothers saw it happen in the stands.

I knew some Rutgers EMS folks that responded. The EMS was a student volunteer organization then and that incident was sort of a worst case example that was talked about often.

I attended every home game with the on-field assigned ambulance and never saw anything like that in four seasons at RU stadium.

2 out of 3 for me. Temple and WVU. Although I have heard the TD Club bus story, in such great detail, from people that were on board I feel like I was there. Can't imagine how that driver was able to remain employed after that night...
2 out of 3 for me as well. Missed Temple. I was at Army but not on the TD Club bus. Best tailgate of all time for my group was the WVU blizzard game.

Anyone remember the turf repair patrol prior to the artificial turf installation - more than 50 people fixing huge divots in the natural turf field during halftimes. IUsed to shake my head at how a University with a center for Turfgrass Science could not get it right.

A few years ago they would launch fireworks up from the scoreboard either for a touchdown or after a win, and one time one of them malfunctioned and shot downward onto the concourse behind the student section. Fortunately nobody was injured but that could have been horrible.

Porta-potties in a stadium concourse. 🙄
I think this is a consequence of the nonsensical urinal/toilet to sink ratio. Boggles my mind every time I go in there as to why the bathrooms are like 75% sinks. A few people have mentioned the old troughs, but Ohio Stadium still has them, or at least they did when I went to our game there in 2014.

Last edited:
Anyone remember the turf repair patrol prior to the artificial turf installation - more than 50 people fixing huge divots in the natural turf field during halftimes. IUsed to shake my head at how a University with a center for Turfgrass Science could not get it right.
Got the turf right. It was facilities maintenance that screwed it up. Story I heard from a reliable source was Turf consultant told the maintenance crew to roll the field. He came back to the guys using a steamroller. Compacted the roots, sand base and multilevel drainage system. Made it the consistency of cement.

Was always amazed that the same crew that mowed Voorhees mall mowed the sports fields. they didn't have a separate crew until this happened.

• Wow
Reactions: Eaton Beaver
The previous away game against them was even better
We had two solid sections of RU fans and we were very loud

And when you win, it is wonderful

When Nunzio Campanile became our interim coach seeing 50yr. old's walking around wearing Bergen Catholic varsity jackets. We laughed our asses off.

Also not allowing us in with seat cushions we purchased inside the stadium. It was an angry day at gates C and D that day. People were pissed and I almost got arrested.

Just remembered, I once had to give the bus driver directions from the Stadium to the RAC. It was her 1st day and they had given her directions but they must have changed the route on her. She pulled the bus into the parking lot frustrated and confused. I was sitting up front and said, "don't worry I've done this trip close to 100 times, I'll get you there".

Last edited:
When Nunzio Campanile became our interim coach seeing 50yr. old's walking around wearing Bergen Catholic varsity jackets. We laughed our asses off.
Every time tOSU plays here we see the same thing.

Really weird, both of those scenarios.

Reactions: koleszar
The kid who didn't know that it was a 40 foot drop between the end of the Southeast side of the Stadium and the grassy hill where many would watch the game. He ended up paralyzed and died some years later IIRC. Back then they sold beers at the concessions. That ended alcohol sales for nearly 40 years at Rutgers Stadium
I remember that game and incident, very sad. That was a different time. I remember bringing in a 32 oz or 64 oz thermos of vodka and OJ—it was a bit more lax then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT