ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa - the matchups

Scangg

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2016
San Diego
I'm trying to recall but I believe Harper guarded Murray last time and did a great job.

Do we see Harper start on Murray or Caleb?

Toussaint is out of the starting lineup and Perkins is in which gives them more size

Murray - 6'8 225
McCaffery - 6'9 200
Rebraca - 6'9 230
Perkins - 6'4 210
JBo - 6'1 175

Geo on JBo, Cliff on Rebraca, Paul on Perkins, then we will see who Caleb guards. Gotta figure the DPOY wants a crack at Murray

Reactions: Knight Shift
The biggest concern for RU is defending the post kick out pass to three point shot. Iowa loves the cross court pass to an open three. If RU defends the 3 well, they will have a great chance to win.

Reactions: RUChoppin
The biggest concern for RU is defending the post kick out pass to three point shot. Iowa loves the cross court pass to an open three. If RU defends the 3 well, they will have a great chance to win.
Don't double the post! They don't have Garza.

Also, please don't over help off 3 point shooters. Rather them beat us driving than a barrage of 3's

I dont see this. Who on Iowa is demanding a low post double team? Cliff and Reiber need to hold up their own down low and let the others guard their man. The one potential flaw would be foul trouble. Lets hope it does not come to that.

Reactions: Scangg

Also, please don't over help off 3 point shooters. Rather them beat us driving than a barrage of 3's
This x 100. We just don't have the horses to compete in a three point shooting contest.

I don’t expect to see Caleb on Murray. He’s great — left him go off. Key is to kill their 3 point shooting. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Caleb on Bohannon. Completely neutralize him.

CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!! Let them try to beat us in the paint 1:1...if that is how we lose this game I am happy with it. Do not overcommit as that is how they will get wide open 3 point looks.

I hope Pike is telling them this. Also, on the PnR cliff needs to slide off more instead of trying to overcommit to the ballhandler..make this a 1:1 matchup as much as we can everywhere

I even think Zone helps us as it commits people to spots on the floor to protect. Just have to be aware of screens and overloading the one on the perimeter to one side

I don’t expect to see Caleb on Murray. He’s great — left him go off. Key is to kill their 3 point shooting. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Caleb on Bohannon. Completely neutralize him.
Caleb on JBo is a waste IMO. Anyone can guard him. Just tell the defender no help D if he's on fire. If not Murray, than Perkins for Caleb.

RHJ will get majority of Murray1
I think Paul gets McAffrey
I expect to see a decent bit (10mins) of Miller - eyes on Bohannon, no touches, etc. and during those minutes we play 4v4. I'd pair him with Geo and have Geo D the 2-guard (he has enough size)

Just a feeling, but think that Hyatt plays great, and earns 8-10 mins [see 5pts, 5boards]

If Cliff stays out of foul trouble (BIG IF), I could see a 14pts/14rb game

I dont see this. Who on Iowa is demanding a low post double team? Cliff and Reiber need to hold up their own down low and let the others guard their man. The one potential flaw would be foul trouble. Lets hope it does not come to that.
Last game Reiber and Cliff with foul trouble. Hyatt and May played great for last 6,7 minutes of first half!

Geo needs to torch JBo. This is one of the weakest defenders Geo will see all season. He needs to step up and deliver. No excuses.

Rebraca can't guard Cliff. He doesn't have the size or athleticism to bother him. First game was before Cliff came around offensively.

Reactions: BillyC80
Caleb on JBo is a waste IMO. Anyone can guard him. Just tell the defender no help D if he's on fire. If not Murray, than Perkins for Caleb.

Fair enough but the point still stands. Don’t let the other guys beat you. RHJ did fine on Murray last time.

Yes!! Drives me crazy when I see them cheating off the player they're guarding to hedge down into the painted area. And they seem to always do it. Like it's part of their scheme.

Yes!! Drives me crazy when I see them cheating off the player they're guarding to hedge down into the painted area. And they seem to always do it. Like it's part of their scheme.
We get a lot of steals and deflections but against an elite shooting team like Iowa you need to sacrifice some help D to stay with shooters. Can't have too many possessions where we see Geo and Paul sucked into the lane and slow to close out on the 3

We get a lot of steals and deflections but against an elite shooting team like Iowa you need to sacrifice some help D to stay with shooters. Can't have too many possessions where we see Geo and Paul sucked into the lane and slow to close out on the 3
Very true. But it almost seems like a live by die by thing. When you're going up against a strong perimeter shooting opponent there has to be a ready adjustment made. Lets say you were playing a team that is not strong from the outside such as RU. What would work against them wouldn't work vs a team with solid shooters.

Very true. But it almost seems like a live by die by thing. When you're going up against a strong perimeter shooting opponent there has to be a ready adjustment made. Lets say you were playing a team that is not strong from the outside such as RU. What would work against them wouldn't work vs a team with solid shooters.
Remember Pike and company were likely primarily preparing for Iowa this whole time while Iowa had to plan for Northwestern.

Let's hope Pike has something up his sleeve. He does well with extra prep time.

They do. It’s just seems like they don’t. Perkins and Toussant dont shoot well and Patrick McCaffery is someone you can live with making the 3. Just need yo stop Murray and Bohannon from getting really hot.
Definitely make those 2 beat you but Perkins shoots 35% from 3 I think Pike will have a great gameplan with all the prep time

They do. It’s just seems like they don’t. Perkins and Toussant dont shoot well and Patrick McCaffery is someone you can live with making the 3. Just need yo stop Murray and Bohannon from getting really hot.
Perkins is a different player now. Watch out for Sandfort as well.

Rutgers is 3-1 with 4+ days of rest,
Rutgers is 11-2 with a rest advantage, 2nd behind Wisc 7-1
Iowa 0-0 no rest, 0-2 no rest 19-20 & 20-21, 4-4 rest disadvantage.

I wonder if we will see Caleb on Perkins, at least for part of the time. Bottle up their facilitator and maybe we can slow down their offense.

Also, do we see CLIFF on Keegan at all? He certainly has the athleticism to guard Keegan, and his length might really be an asset. That would also enable Ron to "take it easy" guarding Rebraca, thereby saving his strength for offense. Not saying for the entire game, but at least mix this in.

I wonder if we will see Caleb on Perkins, at least for part of the time. Bottle up their facilitator and maybe we can slow down their offense.

Also, do we see CLIFF on Keegan at all? He certainly has the athleticism to guard Keegan, and his length might really be an asset. That would also enable Ron to "take it easy" guarding Rebraca, thereby saving his strength for offense. Not saying for the entire game, but at least mix this in.
I've considered both but more the Caleb on Perkins. Could put Harper on McCaffery for rest if Caleb is on Murray

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT