ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana - matchups

Scangg

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2016
San Diego
Pretty good matchups against Indiana. As I see it...

Geo 6'4 185 - Stewart 6'5 202
Paul 6'6 213 - Klopp 6'7 220
Harper 6'6 245 - Thompson 6'8 235
Caleb 6'7 200 - Johnson 6'3 200
Cliff 6'11 240 - TJD 6'9 245

Johnson has been scoring a lot recently. Give him the Caleb treatment. That's a lot of length for 6'3 Johnson to handle

Klopp has some size to deal with Paul's bully ball. Interesting to see if Paul can get all the way to the rim with quickness here. Wonder if we see the double or not. Paul loves to play help D, but over helping off Klopp is not what I want to see.

Cliff has the length and athleticism to deal with TJD. It should be a fun matchup to watch

Harper / Thompson and Geo / Stewart have similar height and weights.

Will the senior leaders step up in their final road game with the team's back against the wall? These matchups are more about how engaged energized and active they are from the opening tip. No time for slow starts. Play under control but with a sense of urgency. Knock down those open 3's. Get to the basket. Time for both Geo and Ron to bring their A games

Everyone has to play well.
We need productive minutes out of Dean.
We have to be connected on offense and defense. Our starters should not appear out of sync, they’re all highly experienced.
Our fanbase goal is to have very few WTF are we doing screaming moments.
The key to this game is very few WTF’s by us at home….😊
All of American will be watching!

Key is no early fouls for Cliff on Trace Jackson Davis … refs have to not influence the game in the first 2 minutes, if that holds true, we win

The key has and always will be….shooting percentage!!

Plain and simple

Unless your opponent is shooting in the 30’s…your not winning when you can’t hit the side of a barn.

We have to be connected on offense and defense. Our starters should not appear out of sync, they’re all highly experienced.
.01% of America will be watching

Yeah, one game where everyone plays well. Not out-of-their-minds well, just well: no 0-6 from 3, no 6 individual TO’s, no 10-16 team FT’s.

TJD will get his but like you said Cliff’s a good matchup for us, and McConnell can neutralize Johnson.

The matchup I’m most interested in is Thompson/RHJ. Two talented, experienced guys who play a very different game. RHJ will need to bring it on both ends of the floor - Thompson is relentless.

Reactions: thegock
TJD will get his but like you said Cliff’s a good matchup for us, and McConnell can neutralize Johnson.

The matchup I’m most interested in is Thompson/RHJ. Two talented, experienced guys who play a very different game. RHJ will need to bring it on both ends of the floor - Thompson is relentless.

TJD is way quicker laterally than Cliff. He’ll get to the rim and draw fouls. We won’t get away with leaving Cliff on an island.

TJD is way quicker laterally than Cliff. He’ll get to the rim and draw fouls. We won’t get away with leaving Cliff on an island.
And Cliff’s taller/longer.

Don’t get me wrong, TJD will get his 20ish points just like Kofi did - no one in the B1G has the athleticism to match TJD or the strength to match Kofi.

But if the others are all kept in check we should be in good shape.

That’s why RHJ on Thompson is the most important matchup to me. Ron has to bring it defensively for 40 minutes and keep Thompson off the glass and scoreboard.

Shots either fall or they don’t, but energy and effort is something you can ALWAYS bring. Thompson typically does bring it, let’s see if Ron is up to the challenge like he was against OSU.

So, Indiana lost Trey Galloway on 2/15 to a broken wrist, and just got Rob Phinisee back after he missed a month with plantar fasciitis (he played 9 min vs. Minnesota for 8 pts).

Their starters since Galloway went down have been:
36.3 min - Thompson
32.3 min - Johnson
31.7 min - Jackson-Davis
31.0 min - Stewart
30.3 min - Kopp

(all five starters averaged 30+ minutes/game over the last 3)

Reserves:
20.0 min - Bates
11.0 min - Leal (2 games) / Phinisee (1 game)
9.0 min - Geronimo
6.7 min - Durr

Indiana's been riding their starters hard in Galloway's absence, with Bates as the 6th man. I'd expect Phinisee to see more time against us in his second game back.

Senior night for IU as well. Emotions & hype could overwhelm them or could inspire them.

Don’t get me wrong, TJD will get his 20ish points just like Kofi did - no one in the B1G has the athleticism to match TJD or the strength to match Kofi.

That’s why RHJ on Thompson is the most important matchup to me. Ron has to bring it defensively for 40 minutes and keep Thompson off the glass and scoreboard.

Shots either fall or they don’t, but energy and effort is something you can ALWAYS bring. Thompson typically does bring it, let’s see if Ron is up to the challenge like he was against OSU.

this works only if Cliff stays out of foul trouble. Let’s hope

Reactions: thegock and RU23
Key is no early fouls for Cliff on Trace Jackson Davis … refs have to not influence the game in the first 2 minutes, if that holds true, we win
Cliff can’t be overly aggressive: don’t jump at fakes, move your feet, body up, hands high and straight.

If we get off to a decent start and Cliff has no fouls after 4 mins., I’d get him out for a few before refs realize that, for shame, we haven’t called a foul on Omoruyi yet!

Reactions: tm_nj
So, Indiana lost Trey Galloway on 2/15 to a broken wrist, and just got Rob Phinisee back after he missed a month with plantar fasciitis (he played 9 min vs. Minnesota for 8 pts).

Their starters since Galloway went down have been:
36.3 min - Thompson
32.3 min - Johnson
31.7 min - Jackson-Davis
31.0 min - Stewart
30.3 min - Kopp

(all five starters averaged 30+ minutes/game over the last 3)

Reserves:
20.0 min - Bates
11.0 min - Leal (2 games) / Phinisee (1 game)
9.0 min - Geronimo
6.7 min - Durr

Indiana's been riding their starters hard in Galloway's absence, with Bates as the 6th man. I'd expect Phinisee to see more time against us in his second game back.
Leal is out per posters on Indiana board

The most important matchup is Caleb on XJ. He is not only putting up 20+ point games but piling up assists as well.

Caleb brings his A game he can stop not only the scoring but the assists also show he is the key to the offense. Shut him down and let Cliff handle TJD. Cliff has the length and athleticism to bother TJD

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I'll say it again:

Listen...do what we did to Wisconsin in the 2nd half...DRIVE TO THE DAMN HOLE, and continue doing so, UNTIL everything else opens up. Going to the big guy the opening play of every game, and taking awful shots from 15-25-feet the opening minutes, is NOT going to get us off to hot starts.

On Paul, Pike needs to adjust to how teams have defended him lately with success. Paul can’t keep backing into the paint and try to bang his way in. Opponents are sending a second player to pick his pocket. After he crosses half court and approaches the paint, he needs to decide to attack and shoot: attack and pass or pass and move in to be a rebounder. And no stupid fouls

I think we win if the following 2 things happen:
Cliff plays 29 minutes and gets 10 rebounds
Paul gets 6 assists, score 12 points and has 4 or less turnovers

Reactions: Scangg

Harper will be fortunate to play 30 minutes because of health issues.The over arching issue is the ability to score at least 65 points without getting some scoring from the bench.

Hopefully the RU defense will be able to cause Xavier Johnson to force things and play sloppy. He played well in their last 2 games vs Maryland and Minnesota, but in the two games before that he was 3-16 with 5 turnovers at home vs Wisconsin, and then 3-12 with 6 turnovers at Ohio State.

Hopefully the RU defense will be able to cause Xavier Johnson to force things and play sloppy. He played well in their last 2 games vs Maryland and Minnesota, but in the two games before that he was 3-16 with 5 turnovers at home vs Wisconsin, and then 3-12 with 6 turnovers at Ohio State.
Which type of performance is more likely going against Caleb? Pounding Nails

Cliff= 14
Paul= 12
Caleb=8
Bench=6
Means that Ron and Geo need total of 30+
If this looks realistic, than we have a chance.

Do not help off Parker Stewart. If we lose because Miller Kopp or Race Thompson or Rob Phinisee hits 3+ three pointers... I can live with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT