ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction - Indiana

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
1. Austin Williams is my MVP. 10 points (on 5-9 shooting), 6 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 assist. Kid really gave us a spark.

2. Our offense continues to be putrid though. 21-65 from the field (32.3%) and 5-22 on threes (22.7%). We lose this game if Indiana doesn’t completely lay an egg.

3. Rotation notes - pretty clear Austin has supplanted Noah in the guard rotation. Also (sadly) clear that Palmquist has started to take most of Gavin’s minutes.

4. IU had it rolling in the high/low game with Reneau and Ware in the first 10 minutes, but we then started playing better defense and even went to a matchup zone which was pretty effective. Later we were just doubling the post and making good rotations to prevent open shooters when their bigs passed out.

5. Simpson had a bad game, going 2-13 and generally playing out of control. He had difficulty getting good looks in the mid range game because of IU’s length inside, which caused him to take more difficult shots. But he redeemed himself by hitting FTs down the stretch.

6. Mag not terribly efficient, but he’s becoming a stat stuffer. He had 13 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, and 3 steals, and played really good defense on whoever he was guarding.

7. Cliff remains ineffective (to say the least) on offense, but he’s an elite rim protector with 5 blocks, and he rebounded with more authority today with 11 rebounds.

8. JMike with another 10 points and 6 rebounds, but he was a bit sloppy with 4 TOs.

9. The magic is real folks. We continue to own the Indiana Hoosiers.

Last edited:
This game was a struggle for both teams.Lots of turnovers and poor shooting .Rutgers got the spurt that mattered and was able to make foul shots in the last two minutes.Take the win and be very happy.

Both teams looked like clones of each other. Nobody really shooting well, turnovers, dumb plays.
But, we won a league game and I was honestly wondering if we would based on their play.

Reactions: DirtyRU
1. Simpson shot at the half and with Stonehill shot has made the two biggest shots of the year. Don’t think that can be disputed. Two of the prettiest passes of the year as well. May not have shot well but nobody did. Foul shooting was nice. Please no bashing today or how JMike is so much better at the point.

2. Officiating was huge. Finally we got the benefit of the correct call. Indiana guy punches/grabs a guy where you shouldn’t and gets properly thrown out of the game. Turning point of game.

3.Austin Williams MVP. Great effort.

4. Amazing that we are in Indiana’s head. Kinda cool. Wonder if Woodson is secure. Like Howard, with all the talent in the world, Woodson does not scare me. Prefer to keep it that way.

Last edited:
As if beating Indiana wasn’t enough fun, Xavier Johnson getting tossed was just

Noah Centineo Chef GIF by Allure

Sometimes better to be lucky than good. Lucky to play IU tonight although at least our defense and rebounding showed up.

Reactions: satnom
Fugly win but RU did what it needed to do to get the W. Indiana overall is a more talented team but they just couldn’t stop turning the ball over and RU took advantage. Credit to our defense.

Austin “Old Man” Williams was a nice spark plug for the team. I think Pike needs to give the bulk of the playing time to the following:

Hyatt
Mag
Cliff
Derek
A. Williams
Woolfork
JaMike

And give some mins to Noah and Gavin. Noah is too small for the BIG and Gavin looks lost but he’s a true frosh who needs to hit a shot to build some confidence.

Oskar needs to come on the court during blowouts. Thought his play was going to let Indiana back into the game.

Is what it is. Roster looks flawed but Pike will have team battling throughout rest of season. First conference win is always good.

GO RU

Reactions: darkcheck
Spot on as usual. Indiana TOs 18 and FT shooting 4-15 saved us

We almost caught up to them with 15 TOs. Can't shoot poorly and play sloppy and expect wins. We don't play Indiana every night

Williams MVP for sure. Cliff rebounds and blocks were big. Team rebounding has seemingly been solved lately. Davis some nice plays and energy. Mag doing Mag things

Nice tough win

The WOLF / Xavier Johnson play was a huge moment. Indiana shit the bed after that. So gratifying to see Wolf just throw that punk down, then stare him down. Then after the wait, they call common foul. Good. Then, Flagrant 2 on Johnson. CELEBRATED that one! Kid is a dirty player who I thought tripped Mag intentionally.

Reactions: BossNJ
1. Austin Williams is my MVP. 10 points (on 5-9 shooting), 6 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 assist. Kid really gave us a spark.

2. Our offense continues to be putrid though. 21-65 from the field (32.3%) and 5-22 on threes (22.7%). We lose this game if Indiana doesn’t completely lay an egg.

3. Rotation notes - pretty clear Austin has supplanted Noah in the guard rotation. Also (sadly) clear that Palmquist has started to take most of Gavin’s minutes.

4. IU had it rolling in the high/low game with Reneau and Ware in the first 10 minutes, but we then started playing better defense and even went to a matchup zone which was pretty effective. Later we were just doubling the post and making good rotations to prevent open shooters when their bigs passed out.

5. Simpson had a bad game, going 2-13 and generally playing out of control. He had difficulty getting good looks in the mid range game because of IU’s length inside, which caused him to take more difficult shots. But he redeemed himself by hitting FTs down the stretch.

6. Mag not terribly efficient, but he’s becoming a stat stuffer. He had 13 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, and 3 steals, and played really good defense on whoever he was guarding.

7. Cliff remains ineffective (to say the least) on offense, but he’s an elite rim protector with 5 blocks, and he rebounded with more authority today with 11 rebounds.

8. JMike with another 10 points and 6 rebounds, but he was a bit sloppy with 4 TOs.

Williams seemed to make the difference tonight and I liked that. I also liked that it kept Noah on the bench more. Hopefully this cements Williams as the starter and that he continues with his skill , leadership and most importantly fearless energy.

Reactions: BillyC80 and Scangg
The WOLF / Xavier Johnson play was a huge moment. Indiana shit the bed after that. So gratifying to see Wolf just throw that punk down, then stare him down. Then after the wait, they call common foul. Good. Then, Flagrant 2 on Johnson. CELEBRATED that one! Kid is a dirty player who I thought tripped Mag intentionally.
The football player in him came out , despite losing 20 pounds he still has the mentality .

Spot on as usual. Indiana TOs 18 and FT shooting 4-15 saved us

We almost caught up to them with 15 TOs. Can't shoot poorly and play sloppy and expect wins. We don't play Indiana every night

Williams MVP for sure. Cliff rebounds and blocks were big. Team rebounding has seemingly been solved lately. Davis some nice plays and energy. Mag doing Mag things

Nice tough win
Final rebounding numbers were 50-41. That’s a whole lot of missed shots.

Williams seemed to make the difference tonight and I liked that. I also liked that it kept Noah on the bench more. Hopefully this cements Williams as the starter and that he continues with his skill , leadership and most importantly fearless energy.
Austin actually did start tonight. And then earned it on the court.

Forgot to mention the Nut Shot by Xavier Johnson. That was a pretty big moment, as IU’s other guards aren’t great handling the ball.

10. Our free throw defense was stellar, holding Indy to 4-15 from the line.

Glad we won but the guard play outside of Williams is still a disaster.

Simpson 1-10 on two pointers. Davis shot better but four turnovers. Fernandes again a complete nonfactor.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Sometimes better to be lucky than good. Lucky to play IU tonight although at least our defense and rebounding showed up.
I don’t know where I could find the data on this but, I thought it was a W after Derek banked the 3….my theory is that teams that bank a 3 have like a .900 winning percentage. If that goes in the good juju is just on your side that night.

I don’t know where I could find the data on this but, I thought it was a W after Derek banked the 3….my theory is that teams that bank a 3 have like a .900 winning percentage. If that goes in the good juju is just on your side that night.
Bash him if you must but still two of the biggest shots of the year. And decent foul shooting.

Brutal game to watch. How was Indiana 11-4 coming into the game? Indiana is awful and their guard play may be worse than ours. Austin Williams deserves to start. He can guard more physical tough guards and appears able to make layups --something our other guards struggle with. Palmquist should not get any minutes ahead of Gavin. Gavin's body language is very bad --kid's going through a rough stretch and Pike is not making it any better.

Brutal game to watch. How was Indiana 11-4 coming into the game? Indiana is awful and their guard play may be worse than ours. Austin Williams deserves to start. He can guard more physical tough guards and appears able to make layups --something our other guards struggle with. Palmquist should not get any minutes ahead of Gavin. Gavin's body language is very bad --kid's going through a rough stretch and Pike is not making it any better.
What do you want Pike to do?

My biggest regret staying home for the game tonight may be missing Xavier Johnson getting ejected.
Stayed home too - spent the day moving everything out of the basement in case were flooded again. Since it was on Peacock couldn’t watch either. Hopefully it will be on BTN replay tomorrow.

Stayed home too - spent the day moving everything out of the basement in case were flooded again. Since it was on Peacock couldn’t watch either. Hopefully it will be on BTN replay tomorrow.
Will a Peacock game be on BTN? That would seem odd

Great. Cliff was dominate on defense. If you thought an Indiana player was better that doesnt change the impact Cliff had on the game.
Agree which is why I wanted to pull my hair out every time someone came down to help Cliff and give them an open shot.

Officially worried about Gavin. Not sure how much longer I can convince myself this is just a slump or growing pains.

Reactions: RUChoppin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT