ADVERTISEMENT

Is Coach anti-Rutgers for not supporting GW?

TheKnightclub

Freshman
Nov 22, 2022
New Jersey
we heard repeatedly and emphatically that GW is Rutgers football from several fans who seemingly were watching a different QB. Coach is always right and knows best according to these same fans. It's very confusing.

Regardless, best wishes to GW! I hoped he would stay as he was well liked by teammates and had plenty of experience. He seems to have many leadership qualities that will serve him well at his next stop and beyond.

For Rutgers, this was a great move and I cant wait for the fall!

Last edited:
I always said I have a low opinion of RU's offensive philosophy (after 20 years of watching.)
That criticism is most true of QB coaching at RU.
If I knew a 4* QB recruit looking at RU I would tell him to run - don't walk away.
Best RU QB I saw was Savage by far and RU wrecked that situation in one of worst CFB seasons ever..
The hideous 2010 offense was OCed by Flood and Kirk (who got fired)

Then there was Nova who was a good guy with a good arm, but was allowed to throw 3,4,5 INTs regularly (often with 4th quarter panic throws - killers). PSU DC promised his secondary 4 INTs off Nova in 2014 and they got 5. Dodd only got to save a USF game after crowd got Nova booed off the field.

Teel was good but mostly because Rice made RU passing game easy between the 20s. Overall I suspect Sanu would have been RUs best QB after Teel.

For 20+ years RU had a brutal red zone - you can read Schiano complaining in papers each year.
The red zone never gets better for long (aside from Sanu exception who was a stud in red zone.).
NFL has great coaches but for QBs you have range between Andy Reid and Robert Saleh.
Schiano is a Robert Saleh type.

You know that bit about "good coaches adjust their schemes to the players they have"?
Schiano isn't one of them, and he wants a 1990s Miami pro set even when he doesn't have the players.
I don't buy Ciarrocca as some kind of QB whisperer either - I cant forget 2010.
If Mongo stays healthy I'm sure RU will pass for good yards between the 20s before "the wall."

Last edited:
we heard repeatedly and emphatically that GW is Rutgers football from several fans who seemingly were watching a different QB. Coach is always right and knows best according to these same fans. It's very confusing.

Regardless, best wishes to GW! I hoped he would stay as he was well liked by teammates and had plenty of experience. He seems to have many leadership qualities that will serve him well at his next stop and beyond.

I think we have the dumbest fanbase' with the lowest football IQs

if you read any site, even Sarah's, littered with more intelligent posts and posters vs what we see here

our board is bizarre to say the least

RU should be 1st, not the kid being paid to wear the uniform

I always said I have a low opinion of RU's offensive philosophy (after 20 years of watching.)
If I knew a 4* QB recruit looking at RU I would tell him to run - don't walk away.
Best RU QB I saw was Savage by far and RU wrecked that situation in one of worst CFB seasons ever..

Then there was Nova who was a good guy with a good arm, but was allowed to throw 3,4,5 INTs regularly (often with 4th quarter panic throws - killers). PSU DC promised his secondary 4 INTs off Nova in 2014 and they got 5. Dodd only got to save a USF game after crowd got Nova booed off the field.

Teel was good but mostly because Rice made RU passing game easy between the 20s. Overall I suspect Sanu would have been RUs best QB after Teel.

For 20+ years RU had a brutal red zone - you can read Schiano complaining in papers each year.
The red zone never gets better for long (aside from Sanu exception who was a stud in red zone.).
NFL has great coaches but for QBs you have range between Andy Reid and Robert Saleh.

You know that bit about "good coaches adjust their schemes to the players they have"?
Schiano isn't one of them, and he wants a 1990s Miami pro set even when he doesn't have the players.
If Mongo stays healthy I'm sure RU will pass for good yards between the 20s before "the wall."

Savage didn't help the situation.

Savage has said it was a bad decision.......

"NFL Draft prospect Tom Savage said it was a mistake to transfer from Rutgers after his sophomore season.

(Frank H. Conlon/For The Star-Ledger)

If Tom Savage could do it over, he never would have left Rutgers."

"I was just a young kid," Savage told NJ.com in a phone interview on Thursday. "I was just kind of bitter and angry and thought I was entitled to things that I really wasn't. I made a mistake. If you could go back, me growing up a little bit, I could see myself staying and being patient and earning the job back."

And don't forget he tried to come back in '11 but the NCAA wouldn't give him a waiver.

Savage got his head caught up in his GF- women can ruin many a ball player. lol He also suffered an injury and he was getting crushed behind the line that was pretty bad to begin with and made worse trying to force fit a scheme no one was recruited for. And Savage may have had some of the worst pocket presence I had ever seen at that point. There was a reason he had a nickname of "The sack maker" lol

Can someone please provide a translation for the thread title? I've read it four times and am no closer to understanding it.

I even tried Google translate and it came back with this:

GW ን ባለመደገፍ አሰልጣኝ ፀረ ሩትጀርስ ነው?

And while that's obviously more clearly stated, it's still not clear enough.

coaches are paid to win, not to make decisions based on players’ feelings, supporting and babying them.

they should have no loyalty beyond what’s owed to all the players, which is a commitment to winning.

conversely, players don’t owe coaches anything either.

I really can't understand how the coaches screwed up Savage myth persists when Savage himself stated he was at fault. How many times has the same article been posted on this site?

RU set a Sacks allowed record for D1 in 2010 - 61 sacks. The OL sucked and Savage was getting killed. Wrist injury, rib injury, concusions - it was a massacre at a time when concusion hysteria was just getting going. Savage's parents were legit concerned and being public about it. He could have gone to a place with a great OL but he went to RU after having miserable OL recruiting.

Savage was a pocket passer who would stay in pocket as long as he could (until he got whacked). He had concussions in 2009 as well and by the time he got to NFL (after shinning at Pitt) he was having seizures.

"During his weekly (and last) meeting with reporters last Monday, Savage said that he was "knocked out cold," but didn't say that he had a concussion. Schiano had downplayed the possibility of a concussion, saying that the quarterback was "dinged" and "foggy." But Wednesday he revealed that Savage had suffered a concussion."

ZiYH8DP.jpeg

Rutgers quarterback Tom Savage remains in considerable pain following a rib injury suffered in Saturday's loss to North Carolina and his status for next week's game against Tulane is uncertain, coach Greg Schiano said Sunday.

Rutgers Legacy

pI9WXRb.gif

leklGkx.jpeg

Sacks Allowed 2010 - dead last and a D1 record

yb9ZJ1V.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: RUScrew85

To me a guy with leadership qualities wouldn't bail on his teammates as soon as his free pass to QB was rescinded. Sounds kinda like he only cares about himself.

Maybe I just see leaders a different way.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
To me a guy with leadership qualities wouldn't bail on his teammates as soon as his free pass to QB was rescinded. Sounds kinda like he only cares about himself.

Sure. There is that. However, he never pointed fingers during his time with Rutgers or made excuses. I guess I'd argue it isnt all or nothing, if I wanted to argue. I didn't say he is perfect.

I think some context with portal deadlines and the current nature of college sports paints a forgiving picture in regards to his decision to leave, but I understand your argument. I don't like all the transferring either.

Reactions: RUScrew85

Say what you will about the past QBs but I know for a fact savage himself messed things up. He admitted to it after the fact when he “grew up “ a bit.

Do you feel the same way about AK bailing on his Minnesota teammates?

Actually yeah depending on the individual circumstances. But not as strongly as Minny fans I would imagine.

Say what you will about the past QBs but I know for a fact savage himself messed things up. He admitted to it after the fact when he “grew up “ a bit.

As I recall it was his parents messing things up since they went openly hostile on GS and RU. I didn't blame their concern for health because Savage just looked shell-shocked in the pocket during his last games. He was a big target and when defenders hit him he absorbed all the force. When Dodd got hit he flew away like a bug. It was like dropping a cat vs an ant off Empire State. Dodd was the ant lol

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY

Schiano is definitely not anti Rutgers. You could argue that he's anti QB development with some of the coaching Wimsatt received.

But aren't you thankful he bailed? Christmas came early this year!

what kind of title was this? so dumb

That is what happens when you try too hard. Would you happen to be a Rowan grad?
Truly, from the bottom of my heart, I apologize for typos on a message typed on a phone with auto correct, with one hand, while taking a dump. I’ll make sure to proofread everything moving forward. Hopefully my RU diploma isn’t rescinded.

Reactions: RUforlife
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT