ADVERTISEMENT

Is Commissioner Warren up to the job?

BigEastPhil

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
As of now, I give Warren a resounding thumbs down.

Why?

1. The Schedule. Why do you commit to games in early September? Best to defer to late September like other conferences. Buy time.

2. The chaos of today. Embarrassing in my opinion in many ways especially after releasing a schedule several days ago and having several schools; coaches and players go rogue.

3. Why the rush to announce a cancellation / deferral / postponement of the season. Why can"t this wait 1-2 weeks or could have been several weeks if they commenced play in late September or thereabouts.

Not easy following in Delany's footsteps but to date this has been a horror show and doubtful this chaos would have occurred under Delany.

Delany, much like Goodell, was completely in charge. I get the feeling that when looking for his replacement, the University Presidents decided they wanted someone more tractable. This hire was about the Presidents getting control of the conference back, not being kingmakers again.

Since he isn't following the SEC blindly like OP's plan would have him do, I think he's doing just fine so far.

Whole year has been absolute chaos; no one will care about what transpired today in a week. It's maybe the 9,000th biggest f-up of 2020.

Some in the media, with bad information, more to blame than Warren for today’s chaos. Big 10 told us last night no decision was made and they reiterated again early this afternoon. Media couldn’t even get the details of who and what was voted on correct.

I'm kinda' in agreement with what everyone here has said so far. Although, I think calling Warren's tenure to date a complete ****-up / total chaos might be a bit much. I think that his greatest flaw, so far, is not reaching consensus with all member schools on all key decisions first. I mean, I read - on ESPN's crawl last night - that Scott Frost says Nebraska is considering playing this Fall OUTSIDE of the conference? I'm like, WHAAT!?!?! How could a commissioner be in charge when a school / a school's representative is speaking openly about mutiny (if you want to call it that).

However, I also think Warren didn't exactly sign up for this job, either. It's not just about having to follow Delany. It's about following Delany when a global pandemic hits. It's almost a no-win situation. He really needs to spend more time ensuring that all of the member schools are on the same page about everything and not letting any kind of divergent messaging reach the media. Everything has to come from him (and it has to be right!).

Reactions: 17Q66
As of now, I give Warren a resounding thumbs down.

Why?

1. The Schedule. Why do you commit to games in early September? Best to defer to late September like other conferences. Buy time.

2. The chaos of today. Embarrassing in my opinion in many ways especially after releasing a schedule several days ago and having several schools; coaches and players go rogue.

3. Why the rush to announce a cancellation / deferral / postponement of the season. Why can"t this wait 1-2 weeks or could have been several weeks if they commenced play in late September or thereabouts.

Not easy following in Delany's footsteps but to date this has been a horror show and doubtful this chaos would have occurred under Delany.
Thumbs down big time.

Reactions: RURM85
The new commissioner has been given a lot on his plate to start his career in the Big Ten. But, I'm not sure what his rush was.

The networks have no other programming to put on, so he could have waited at least another 2-3 weeks before making a decision.

Putting out the schedule for start of play on Labor Day weekend and then changing everything a week later, does not make much sense.

Best of Luck,
Groz

The new commissioner has been given a lot on his plate to start his career in the Big Ten. But, I'm not sure what his rush was.

The networks have no other programming to put on, so he could have waited at least another 2-3 weeks before making a decision.

Putting out the schedule for start of play on Labor Day weekend and then changing everything a week later, does not make much sense.
Including his own.

A really bad start - took the most cohesive conference in the country to least cohesive in just a few short months. This was a tough situation but the deals and agreements should have been cut well before the any press announcement or "leak". Maybe he learns from this or maybe it turns into a full out disaster. My guess is we will know soon.

A really bad start - took the most cohesive conference in the country to least cohesive in just a few short months. This was a tough situation but the deals and agreements should have been cut well before the any press announcement or "leak". Maybe he learns from this or maybe it turns into a full out disaster. My guess is we will know soon.
I will presume the latter unless proven otherwise. How can you so royally f**k up your first major decision given the extreme negative feedback and own conference going rogue

Hate to bring politics into the decision but its hard not to. B1G dominated by Blue states under Democratic leadership. You see those not thrilled by the decision are mostly Red states (Iowa, Nebraska and to some extent Ohio). Not the case in the South. Although I heard that Duke is pushing hard to have ACC cancel football (most liberal school in the ACC with a large endowment that helps it meet costs). Other ACC schools not so lucky with the $$.

Hate to bring politics into the decision but its hard not to. B1G dominated by Blue states under Democratic leadership. You see those not thrilled by the decision are mostly Red states (Iowa, Nebraska and to some extent Ohio). Not the case in the South. Although I heard that Duke is pushing hard to have ACC cancel football (most liberal school in the ACC with a large endowment that helps it meet costs). Other ACC schools not so lucky with the $$.
It had nothing to do with politics. It was lack of reliable testing available.

Interesting that Warren’s son plays for Miss State. Curious to see if his son plays if SEC moves forward. How hypocritical and pathetic would that be.

Interesting that Warren’s son plays for Miss State. Curious to see if his son plays if SEC moves forward. How hypocritical and pathetic would that be.

Come on Man....you are beating this issue like a dead horse on two boards.

You have yet to acknowledge that it was the voting of the 14 Presidents that canceled the season.

You have yet to acknowledge that the season was a GO until medical details came out in the last few days about the 5 B1G players with Mayocarditis.

You seem to be Allergic to Facts.....lol

Last edited:
Why? Did Warren mandate the Big Ten Shut down? No! This was the Pesidents of 12 of the 14 Universities coming up with this decision. People are so quick to place blame on someone but too lazy to learn the facts first.

Come on Man....you are beating this issue like a dead horse on two boards.

You have yet to acknowledge that it was the voting of the 14 Presidents that canceled the season.

You have yet to acknowledge that the season was a GO until medical details came out in the last few days about the 5 B1G players with Mayocarditis.

You seem to be Allergic to Facts.....lol
Man you are obsessed with defending Warren at any cost. Are you related or have some unknown vested interest?

The post wasn’t about why the season was cancelled or whose decision it was. It was simply about whether Warren will allow his son to play if the SEC plays its season

You, Warren and the College Presidents state the medical reasons for not playing so I’m curious whether Warren will allow his own son to potentially absorb these risks to play

As commissioner of a conference who presided over the cancellation of the season and who is the mouthpiece for the conference - please tell me the optics or logic in having your own son play elsewhere while preaching the opposite

You appear allergic to responding to posts except in repeating your narratives over and over again

Reactions: scottsdaleal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT