ADVERTISEMENT

Is Hobbs a Hall of Famer ?

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
Did he do enough to get into the Rutgers sports hall of fame ?

The athletic department is in a way better place now from when he took over.
He was really good for mens hoops. Brought schiano back (although this was forced on him). He hired ash (although this was forced on him).
By comparison, Julie and Pernetti are not getting in our hall of fame .
Mulchahy and Grunniger are hall of famers.
I think Hobbs has the resume to get in

Why don't we wait on this topic until the other thread dies down about all the conspiracy theories from the nutjobs on here, when they finally give up... in like 28 years

Last edited:
Reactions: Plum Street
Roy ??
sad robert redford GIF

Yes !!!

• Haha
Reactions: RU205 and megadrone
Let’s say it was Hobbs that got us into the B1G and then brought our sports to where they are now- then, yes.
Otherwise, very good AD but no HOF

Let’s say it was Hobbs that got us into the B1G and then brought our sports to where they are now- then, yes.
Otherwise, very good AD but no HOF
Exactly. Hobbs got us a great Basketball coach, he didn't bring back Schiano, he was totally against it but Rutgers fans, Murphy and even Politi got Schiano back.

Exactly. Hobbs got us a great Basketball coach, he didn't bring back Schiano, he was totally against it but Rutgers fans, Murphy and even Politi got Schiano back.

Even if you don’t give him credit for Schiano , he was better than gruninger

Last edited:
Even if you don’t give him credit for Schiano , he was better than grunniger
Is that the best you got? Seriously? A guy that had near zero funding! I was given football shoes that my dad might have worn in his single year at Rutgers. That was 1980 and I had to buy my own cleats. The hatred of Fred Gruninger (you can't even spell his name correctly) was not on him, Rutgers was severely cheap and decided to move to D1 with an Ivy League budget. Plum is dumb and lacks Rutgers facts!

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Did he do enough to get into the Rutgers sports hall of fame ?

The athletic department is in a way better place now from when he took over.
He was really good for mens hoops. Brought schiano back (although this was forced on him). He hired ash (although this was forced on him).
By comparison, Julie and Pernetti are not getting in our hall of fame .
Mulchahy and Grunniger are hall of famers.
I think Hobbs has the resume to get in
Julie is in a different hall of fame.

toilet GIF

Did he hire ash? If yes, then he should be perma-banned from said hall ☺️
He introduced Ash, the hire was basically done by the time he started. Unless you think a guy with like two weeks on the job and no football background could hire a coach that quickly.

He did some very good things, that's for sure. He wasnt around long enough and disappeared in the blink of an eye but is smiling away in Ireland. He does not belong.

Is that the best you got? Seriously? A guy that had near zero funding! I was given football shoes that my dad might have worn in his single year at Rutgers. That was 1980 and I had to buy my own cleats. The hatred of Fred Gruninger (you can't even spell his name correctly) was not on him, Rutgers was severely cheap and decided to move to D1 with an Ivy League budget. Plum is dumb and lacks Rutgers facts!
I didn’t say I hated Fred . I said Hobbs was better. Fred is in our hall of fame. So you shouldn’t want to keep Hobbs out

Yes mulchahy and gruninger are in
These guys had to do it with almost no support or money.

I love what Hobbs did here but he did have support and money. He also may not have really been the one to "hire" Ash but Ash was here far too long. Hobbs has to take a bit of a hit for that. Not even so much for the poor record but to allow Ash to just alienate everything that Rutgers and the State of NJ is.
On the very positive side- he hung with Pike when many were saying he would not be able to do it. And while GS may not have been his man, he did bring him back and allowed Greg to do it his way and just 4 years later- Rutgers football is being talked about nationally again and has gained a ton of B1G respect.
Olympic sports- So many of these teams have just been so good.

I put Hobbs on the very good list but not quite HOF.

I love what Hobbs did here but he did have support and money. He also may not have really been the one to "hire" Ash but Ash was here far too long. Hobbs has to take a bit of a hit for that. Not even so much for the poor record but to allow Ash to just alienate everything that Rutgers and the State of NJ is.
On the very positive side- he hung with Pike when many were saying he would not be able to do it. And while GS may not have been his man, he did bring him back and allowed Greg to do it his way and just 4 years later- Rutgers football is being talked about nationally again and has gained a ton of B1G respect.

Good point. I forgot about Ash. And the “amazing interviewer” comment. The Ash tenure is a definite blemish.

Very good assessment . However , let’s say pike gets to a final 4 and/or schiano wins the rose bowl or goes to the playoff, I think you would then have to put Hobbs in then. What do you think ?

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Boardroom or bedroom ?

Too soon?

If Football & Basketball both get it done this season(Playoffs or Elite 8) then I would say yes

ADs are judged on their big hires & if FB &MBB are making a jump up to the next level, then he hit home runs.

Reactions: Plum Street
Yes
I didn’t say I hated Fred . I said Hobbs was better. Fred is in our hall of fame. So you shouldn’t want to keep Hobbs out
Yes you did by totally ignoring his accomplishments during his time at Rutgers. Fred is by far a better AD because he did more then Hobbs, with less. Plum is dumb with history.

Yes

Yes you did by totally ignoring his accomplishments during his time at Rutgers. Fred is by far a better AD because he did more then Hobbs, with less. Plum is dumb with history.
Whoa ! I will give you a chance to walk this back.
You’re saying Fred was a better AD than Hobbs ? I

Whoa ! I will give you a chance to walk this back.
You’re saying Fred was a better AD than Hobbs ? I
Yes he was!! Under his watch he permanently hired Frank Burns who 3 years later went 11-0 and later went to Rutgers first Bowl game.
Hired the first full time woman's basketball coach in the nation, Theresa Grentz, who later won the Woman's National Championship. Created 15 woman's programs.
He hired Tom Young who led Rutgers Basketball to the Final Four and multiple NCAA appearances.
He got the RAC built.
He spearheaded the new Rutgers Stadium in 1994 for FREE with a simple agreement to play one year at the Meadowlands.
Created Rutgers first lacrosse field.
Created the Hale Center.
Was in charge of changing Rutgers Golf Course from a 9-hole course to the University 18 hole course. Plus much more.
Fred belongs in the Hall of Fame. You are the one that should say whoa for you lack of knowledge about Fred and your disrespect for him and his great accomplishments. Plum is dumb.
I'm not walking back anything!

Reactions: Section124
Yes he was!! Under his watch he permanently hired Frank Burns who 3 years later went 11-0 and later went to Rutgers first Bowl game.
Hired the first full time woman's basketball coach in the nation, Theresa Grentz, who later won the Woman's National Championship. Created 15 woman's programs.
He hired Tom Young who led Rutgers Basketball to the Final Four and multiple NCAA appearances.
He got the RAC built.
He spearheaded the new Rutgers Stadium in 1994 for FREE with a simple agreement to play one year at the Meadowlands.
Created Rutgers first lacrosse field.
Created the Hale Center.
Was in charge of changing Rutgers Golf Course from a 9-hole course to the University 18 hole course. Plus much more.
Fred belongs in the Hall of Fame. You are the one that should say whoa for you lack of knowledge about Fred and your disrespect for him and his great accomplishments. Plum is dumb.
I'm not walking back anything!
Interesting.

Interesting.
Maybe you should have checked what Fred accomplished in the years he was RU's AD before you placed Hobbs above him.
Some might feel Pat is better, but still can acknowledge all Gruninger did for RU Athletics while he was the AD.
Fred Gruninger does deserve his place in the RU HOF and be spoken in the same breath as another HOF AD > George E. Little

As for me, for years I held Fred responsible for all RU's woes, then I checked few things and came to the conclusion he did a lot with the tools he was given and my judgement of hm was too harsh.

Before I nominate Pat Hobbs for RU's HOF, I'll wait a few years to see how the programs he was in charge of look and how good his coaching hires turned out.
Even it it took him to be shaken by the collar to hire Schiano , Pat gets credit for that hire when judging who he brought in and if Greg doesn't bring back the magic, Pike doesn't make RUMBB a constant NAA program that makes it to the tourney past the first round just about every year deep on occasion and Washington doesn't make the RUWBB respectable again.
Hobbs won't be looked on as HOF material, just another AD that didn't get the job done , even if improvement was made during his watch

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteBus
Maybe you should have checked what Fred accomplished in the years he was RU's AD before you placed Hobbs above him.
Some might feel Pat is better, but still can acknowledge all Gruninger did for RU Athletics while e was the AD.
Fred Gruninger does deserve his place in the RU HOF and be spoken in the same breath as another HOF AD > George E. Little

Before I nominate Pat Hobbs for RU's HOF, I'll wait a few years to see how the programs he was in charge of look and how good his coaching hires turned out.
Even it it took him to be shaken by the collar to hire Schiano , Pat gets credit for that hire when judging who he brought in and if Greg doesn't bring back the magic, Pike doesn't make RUMBB a constant NAA program that makes it to the tourney past the first round just about evey year deep on occasion and Washington doesn't make the RUWBB respectable again.
Hobbs won't be looked on as HOF matera, just another AS that din't get the job done , even if impovement was made during his watch
It's amazing the hatred for Fred on here (this site, not just this thread). His resume was impressive.
It's embarrassing to put someone down without knowing anything about him.
I give no credit for Hobbs hiring Schiano. He moved on immediately after they met. Others on here know exactly what went down between those two in the beginning. It was the fans, this board, Politi and finally the Governor forced Hobbs to hire him. This board was crazy during that time and we were all apart of it!

Reactions: MADHAT1
He introduced Ash, the hire was basically done by the time he started. Unless you think a guy with like two weeks on the job and no football background could hire a coach that quickly.
He still gave Ash an extension so yes that's on Hobbs!

He still gave Ash an extension so yes that's on Hobbs!
That was baked into the original contract that the BOG negotiated with Ash's agent...lol. It was automatically triggered by penalties levied by the NCAA for Flood's infractions. Please berate Greg Brown for that nonsense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT