ADVERTISEMENT

It’s almost inconceivable...but we complete blew all the newbie benefits of the big ten invite

full share will not make a difference....see Purdue, Illinois, Indiana

At this point I wish we were in Purdue or Indiana's shoes. The upgrade in facilities are very impressive, especially at Purdue. The recruiting for both schools are on an uptick, which is interesting because the state of Indiana is not a great recruiting ground. If Purdue can hang onto Brohm and his staff, they'll be competitive. Jury is still out on Coach Allen although they play hard.

I’m confused - full share means what? My recollection is the leadership wants the athletic budget to free itself of institutional support is that correct? How much additional money will full share of the big 10 revenue exceed that amount to the benefit of sports at Rutgers?

Still doesn’t change the fact that - at least last I heard - there were still unendowed scholarships for football.

At this point I wish we were in Purdue or Indiana's shoes. The upgrade in facilities are very impressive, especially at Purdue. The recruiting for both schools are on an uptick, which is interesting because the state of Indiana is not a great recruiting ground. If Purdue can hang onto Brohm and his staff, they'll be competitive. Jury is still out on Coach Allen although they play hard.
Brohm is an energetic coach. Personally, he seems like a hotheaded jerk, but he gets his players excited- to the point of where they commit a lot of boneheaded penalties.

Indiana is more interesting
2019, they have a 4 star recruit from Florida and 5 more recruits from Florida. 2018, they got a 4 star recruit from Florida and 7 more recruits from Florida.

Remember when RU recruited Florida? While he did not do much else right, Flood recruited Florida as well as or slightly better than Greg did. But Chris Ash apparently wanted to jettison everything his predecessors did. We had several coaches with Florida connects, and I don't think we have had one Florida recruit under Ash. The only Florida recruit we had was Pollock, and IIRC, Ash drove him off.

Zero Florida recruits in 4 years of recruiting is mind boggling and just stupid. We had a pipeline, and apparently Ash closed it.

Would love to know what Indiana is doing/selling in recruiting.

Reactions: RURM85
Brohm is an energetic coach. Personally, he seems like a hotheaded jerk, but he gets his players excited- to the point of where they commit a lot of boneheaded penalties.

2019, they have a 4 star recruit from Florida and 5 more recruits from Florida. 2018, they got a 4 star recruit from Florida and 7 more recruits from Florida.

Remember when RU recruited Florida? While he did not do much else right, Flood recruited Florida as well as or slightly better than Greg did. But Chris Ash apparently wanted to jettison everything his predecessors did. We had several coaches with Florida connects, and I don't think we have had one Florida recruit under Ash. The only Florida recruit we had was Pollock, and IIRC, Ash drove him off.

Zero Florida recruits in 4 years of recruiting is mind boggling and just stupid. We had a pipeline, and apparently Ash closed it.

The good ole days when Schiano would hit the Florida trail.

Indiana coaching staff is very familiar with Florida, specifically the Tampa area. Having sent my daughter to IU, the campus is great and the football facilities are getting better. They just closed up the south end zone and now all activities for the players, from eating, academics to S&C occurs at stadium facilities. They did a nice job.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Long suffering football and mens basketball fans have heard all the lame excuses that could possibly be said and yet some of us still are season ticket holders.Its a a sign of loyalty to Rutgers and a liking for big time college athletics.

Excellent post. In many ways, the same thing happened when we finally joined the Big East for basketball. I remember thinking that we would blow past Seton Hall and other smaller schools in short order. But no, we got our clocks cleaned for decades. Built a reputation as a losing program not committed to winning. And we did not win.

We had one chance to enter B1G football and make a strong first impression. We blew it. People say the best GS teams would lose too given the competition. But we are getting crushed by Kansas and Buffalo. Our talent level has receded. Despite being in the B1G. How could that possibly happen? Incompetence at all levels?

Until Rutgers gets a President who understands what athletics can do for a university and has the power and desire to spend that way, RU will never win. The goal of any Rutgers President is to turn RU into a large state school that is successful at academics and athletics. Our goal should be to become a UCLA, UNC, Michigan, Virginia, Texas, Ohio State, etc. There is zero reason NJ doesn't deserve this as much as other states in our nation. Brachi has to go.

...Flood recruited Florida as well as or slightly better than Greg did...The only Florida recruit we had was Pollock, and IIRC, Ash drove him off.

011.jpg

Cute- the numbers don't lie.
Flood:
2015- (4)
2014- (6)
2013- (4)

Schiano:
2012- (0)
2011- (2)
2010- (7)
2009- (2)

Schiano's last 4 years, 2.5/year from Florida. Flood's 3 year, 4.67/year from Florida.
Got any other non-questions or cute Memes?
At least Flood kept the pipeline open. He did little else right. I have no problem giving credit where it is due, and not a close-minded angry fan who wants to completely sweep facts under the carpet.

Cute- the numbers don't lie.
Flood:
2015- (4)
2014- (6)
2013- (4)

Schiano:
2012- (0)
2011- (2)
2010- (7)
2009- (2)

Schiano's last 4 years, 2.5/year from Florida. Flood's 3 year, 4.67/year from Florida.
Got any other non-questions or cute Memes?
At least Flood kept the pipeline open. He did little else right. I have no problem giving credit where it is due, and not a close-minded angry fan who wants to completely sweep facts under the carpet.

...talking about QUALITY, not quantity, which is what I (and I would think most others) consider when talking about ‘recruiting well’ (anyone can load up on marginal prospects that have little chance of doing anything at the next level- that’s hardly ‘recruiting well’)

-Hart
-Moses
-Foster (All-American)
-Robeson
-W. Foster
-Tucker

Who did Flood recruit from Florida that matched the production of any of those guys, nevermind anyone that came later? Grant and Hicks? Anyone else? Pollock is also now injury-retired and I don’t think ever played a complete season of CFB.Numbers don’t lie, but they don’t always tell the truth either.

Joe P.

Last edited:
Excellent post. In many ways, the same thing happened when we finally joined the Big East for basketball. I remember thinking that we would blow past Seton Hall and other smaller schools in short order. But no, we got our clocks cleaned for decades. Built a reputation as a losing program not committed to winning. And we did not win.

We had one chance to enter B1G football and make a strong first impression. We blew it. People say the best GS teams would lose too given the competition. But we are getting crushed by Kansas and Buffalo. Our talent level has receded. Despite being in the B1G. How could that possibly happen? Incompetence at all levels?
Indifference too.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
We have the thing next the RAC going up, the locker room at the end of the season (which helps the Hale Center) and the Rodkin Center on it's way.

All things considering of where we are and what's going on, not too shabby.

...talking about QUALITY, not quantity, which is what I (and I would think most others) consider when talking about ‘recruiting well’ (anyone can load up on marginal prospects that have little chance of doing anything at the next level- that’s hardly ‘recruiting well’)

-Hart
-Moses
-Foster (All-American)
-Robeson
-W. Foster
-Tucker

Who did Flood recruit from Florida that matched the production of any of those guys, nevermind anyone that came later? Grant and Hicks? Anyone else? Pollock is also now injury-retired and I don’t think ever played a complete season of CFB.Numbers don’t lie, but they don’t always tell the truth either.

Joe P.
Well, at least you replied in words instead of a stupid meme. While the quality may not have been as high as Schiano's EARLY Florida recruits, I still maintain that Flood kept the pipeline open with quite a few quality players.

Flood- Harris, Wharton, Applefield (maybe Ash should have convinced him to stay), Hicks, Grant
Schiano's last 4 years- Kaleb Johnson, Glashen, Jamison, Thompson

Fine, if you don't want to give Flood credit for anything, that's OK. I am a former Floodie, and I don't want him back, but to deny that he did an OK job recruiting Florida is not correct IMO.

The more important point here is about Ash--- did he deliberately decide to shut down Florida recruiting? If so, dumb move.

Well, at least you replied in words instead of a stupid meme. While the quality may not have been as high as Schiano's EARLY Florida recruits, I still maintain that Flood kept the pipeline open with quite a few quality players.

Flood- Harris, Wharton, Applefield (maybe Ash should have convinced him to stay), Hicks, Grant
Schiano's last 4 years- Kaleb Johnson, Glashen, Jamison, Thompson

Fine, if you don't want to give Flood credit for anything, that's OK. I am a former Floodie, and I don't want him back, but to deny that he did an OK job recruiting Florida is not correct IMO.

The more important point here is about Ash--- did he deliberately decide to shut down Florida recruiting? If so, dumb move.

You’re making a lot of assumptions that are just wrong. It’s not about ‘not giving Flood credit’; I just found the statement that he recruited Florida better than Schiano ridiculous. Johnson was a GOOD 4-year starter on the o-line; you know how rare that is? Jamison IIRC was an all-conference RB and I think had a 1k season in ‘12. I don’t think any of the 4 players you named were as good as those 2...and don’t forget Mera, Kirksey and Deering, who were all solid contributors as well. The last statement I would agree with in full.

Joe P.

Julie was in way over her head. She was the problem.

she had her problems but she certainly knew what to do with football coaches....Tom Hermann anyone..yeah we could have had him or Narduzzi and we could have hired Flood if the muzzle on spending money wasnt there...or are stupid high donors didnt balk and give Flood another go.

Almost six years ago ...we were 9-1, looking to play for a sugar or orange bowl bid. Flood was playing with Greg’s team, signed probably our best class in school history...

And then we got the big ten invite. The one we coveted. Being saved from being in the AAC for ever...the revenue would come in a big way.

And what did we do...we took the invite into the most prestigious confrence ...and all the advantages that we could have used about being “New York’s team” in the big ten...and managed to blow this opportunity like no other athletic Department who received such an opportunity has.

Really...6 years later...what has been done?

We hired head coaching staffs on the cheap. Flood, ash and Eddie. And look what we have to show for it

Finally....we have a basketball practice facility...7 years later. Same with the locker rooms and practice field. What we have spent on “upgrades” or even stay even grades pails to what Maryland did. What northwestern. Not talking the top brass.

We haven’t upgraded our facilities nearly enough. We haven’t upgraded our coaching enough (pike is the exception)

And yes....I know all the excuses. I’ve been around here long as most ...and I have heard All of them. That’s what they are ...excuses for a lack of institional support

We managed to screw up our entrance to the big ten almost as if possible even with the promise of the huge pay day coming

It starts with institutional leadership issue...

Can Hobbs be the one that changes that?

Maybe...we are going to find out in the next 60 days.

But ...we really blew the benefits of this opportunity given to us on a silver platter

And this is part of reason why this hurts the long time fan

We have been around. We went big time ...with the schedule without the stadium or or facility, without the stadium, without the budget. We played all of our decent home games off campus. Piece by piece we added facilities that made us COMPARABLE to SOME of who we compete.

But then the big ten comes calling and takes us! Our one excuse ...money, is gone. Don’t give me the partial share nonsense. High end leadership sells the future income stream to build now when it’s cheape4 and pay it back later when it comes in

We had the opportnity to make a statement that we were coming to the big ten to compete. And instead, we just chose to ride it until it is safer and easier to invest

When have ever made a hire that others took notice? When have we built a facility better than the others. We have the resources now...instead we have the same excuse

And this is going to be the elephant in the room that erodes the Rutgers fan base beee without a dramatic statement

we went 27 years without a bowl and 28 years and counting without a NCAA bid.

And most of us are still around !

But Blowing this opportunity is going to be the nail in this program coffin that may make resurrection impossible

The fan base has NEVER been this much anger and disinterest...and I’ve been around it all for 40 years

The disinterest is not for our love of the school because we are only big ten in name...and not in substance...and that all falls on the lack of leadership to make this right

...and he just got married Saturday....imagine if that wasn't the case LOL!

Well put my friend!

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
The problem is simple- timing

We had AD over his head (Pernetti) hiring Rice and Flood- I challenge anyone to find me an AD in America with worse hires in the two major sports- before the B1G knocked.

Schiano left months before- had the B1G invite come earlier, maybe we are not having this discussion

In any case, again, I need to ask for evidence of the role Barchi had with Flood staying beyond 2013- it seems to more of a case of certain "big donors" and many fans here wanting him to stay. How is he responsible because Ash sucks?

I thought his first DL coach Burnham was supposed to have Florida connections. Obviously they did not amount to anything. How about the new guy Joseph from IU. Is he the new Florida guy? That state really was important to us in the past.

-Hart
-Moses
-Foster (All-American)
-Robeson
-W. Foster
-Tucker

Joe P.

Schiano grabbed those guys out of Florida before the NCAA instituted "The Rutgers Rule" wrt football camps.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT