ADVERTISEMENT

It’s Bowl Season “BIG TUESDAY “

well, he left for the chance to be an NFL head coach... in Florida.. (and I contest that it was because the conference situation had made recruiting too hard.. little reason to stay) but if you are suggesting he fled BECAUSE we were going to the Big Ten.. that's nuts. And until the Big Ten announces we were in.. Nov 2012.. GS left in January... we were not IN. Don't you remember all the drama in 2012 about votes among Big Ten members and how the western schools weren't happy, etc? It was not a sure thing.
I don’t even know how you could come up
With that from what I wrote. Someone said he left because of conference uncertainty. That’s not remotely true. He left because got the most coveted position any football coach could ask for. An NFL head coaching gig. That simple

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I don’t even know how you could come up
With that from what I wrote. Someone said he left because of conference uncertainty. That’s not remotely true. He left because got the most coveted position any football coach could ask for. An NFL head coaching gig. That simple
well.. you might have avoided the conclusion by stating that yourself (coveted NFL job) instead of hinting around the conference situation with the Big Ten.. which you got wrong if you are telling me that at the end of the 2011 season that GS "knew" Rutgers would announce they are in the Big Ten a year later. You have to provide some explanation of that if that was an argument you want to make.

GS had turned down jobs at Miami and Michigan while the conference situation was more clear. Then the conference falls apart and he heads to the NFL. You want to say that is a total coincidence and I argue that it is not. You want to argue that it had nothing to do with it because GS knew we were going to the Big Ten. Why argue that at all if what you wanted to say was that GS took the NFL job because it was the NFL? Why even mention it?

Most interesting game to me would be MN vs. WV, but no way am I staying up past midnight to watch

well.. you might have avoided the conclusion by stating that yourself (coveted NFL job) instead of hinting around the conference situation with the Big Ten.. which you got wrong if you are telling me that at the end of the 2011 season that GS "knew" Rutgers would announce they are in the Big Ten a year later. You have to provide some explanation of that if that was an argument you want to make.

GS had turned down jobs at Miami and Michigan while the conference situation was more clear. Then the conference falls apart and he heads to the NFL. You want to say that is a total coincidence and I argue that it is not. You want to argue that it had nothing to do with it because GS knew we were going to the Big Ten. Why argue that at all if what you wanted to say was that GS took the NFL job because it was the NFL? Why even mention it?
No offense, I don’t care if you don’t believe me. That being said, I’m sure I’m not the only “booster” here that was taken to lunch or dinner and shown the exact plan. RU %100 knew they were Big Ten bound. Did they know exact time. No, but they knew it was coming. In fact, many would argue Nebraska took our original spot because B1G couldn’t pass up the name.

Most interesting game to me would be MN vs. WV, but no way am I staying up past midnight to watch
That’s always a great bowl. I go every year but for second year in a row, Covid killed those plans

Were you surprised by Houston beating Auburn?
Wasn’t home so I didn’t see the game but not really. Houston has a solid offense and defense and Auburn hasn’t been so great this year either. It’s been sort of a tough slog for Harsin. I bet he wished he waited one more year to go for the P5 job with Washington and Oregon opening up this year. Those would have been natural fits for him.

The SEC is 0-3 in bowl games, with all three losses to Group of 5 or independent teams. This is the first time in the BCS/CFP era that the SEC has lost multiple bowl games to non-P5 opponents

Reactions: redking
What a crap effort by Miss St in the Liberty Bowl. The announcers keep mentioning how many defensive linemen they are missing, but that doesn’t explain how bad their offense has been against a bad B12 defense.

One would have thought Leach would have had his team especially fired up to beat Texas Tech, but they are completely flat.

As someone mentioned above, the SEC as an overall conference gets overrated because of the strength of their top teams.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
What a crap effort by Miss St in the Liberty Bowl. The announcers keep mentioning how many defensive linemen they are missing, but that doesn’t explain how bad their offense has been against a bad B12 defense.

One would have thought Leach would have had his team especially fired up to beat Texas Tech, but they are completely flat.

As someone mentioned above, the SEC as an overall conference gets overrated because of the strength of their top teams.
Is it the whole team, or the same receiver who dropped multiple balls right on his numbers?
That's Leach's fault because the players can't catch the ball.

One other nit to pick- It's there top team, not teams. 😜 OK, maybe 2 teams this year.

Is it the whole team, or the same receiver who dropped multiple balls right on his numbers?
That's Leach's fault because the players can't catch the ball.

One other nit to pick- It's there top team, not teams. 😜 OK, maybe 2 teams this year.
Did you even watch the game? Their offense was completely ineffective, it wasn't derailed by a couple of dropped passes,

Leach couldn't get his team fired up to play a team that wasn't very good in the first place, had a lot of excuses on their end to be flat (an interim coaching staff who mostly were leaving for other jobs right after this game), and who represented a university that Leach is currently suing for $2.5 million based on how they handled his firing. Worst performance by a team in the bowl season so far.

Did you even watch the game? Their offense was completely ineffective, it wasn't derailed by a couple of dropped passes,

Leach couldn't get his team fired up to play a team that wasn't very good in the first place, had a lot of excuses on their end to be flat (an interim coaching staff who mostly were leaving for other jobs right after this game), and who represented a university that Leach is currently suing for $2.5 million based on how they handled his firing. Worst performance by a team in the bowl season so far.
Yeah, it was a bad performance, but is it really on Leach? They were missing at least 3 DL. Will Rogers III looked more like the film actor than the QB he was during the season. Bad performance all around. SEC layin' eggs!

Nothing wrong with teams as plural if he was talking about more than one team in the league.
Also it is their, not there.

Yeah, it was a bad performance, but is it really on Leach? They were missing at least 3 DL. Will Rogers III looked more like the film actor than the QB he was during the season. Bad performance all around. SEC layin' eggs!
I don't really put too much stock in bowl season. It's almost a whole different season with the long layoff, coaches changing jobs and now add the portal or players sitting out. It's nice to have a bunch of games to watch at the end of the season if you have a chance but can't really extrapolate much from the regular season to the bowl season.

Even the playoffs are kind of different in that respect. The expanded playoffs whenever that happens will help remedy some of that with a shorter layoff and remaining hot at the end of the season if you're on a roll.

That said who doesn't love a play like this. Bowl season can always be good for some out of the box plays.

Reactions: Knight Shift
As I said in my original post about the game, their defensive struggles had an explanation, but there is no excuse for their offense being so ineffective against a team that gave up 70 points to Texas and 52 to TCU and Oklahoma. Leach sure didn’t look like an offensive genius last night.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT