ADVERTISEMENT

It was truly a GREAT run

Randal7

All American
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2009
It has been a phenomenal 3 year run, really starting with the big ten tournament in 2018, reaching its apex against Purdue in west Lafayette in 2020, validated in 2021 with our first ncaa tournament in 30 years and first win in 40. This team was appointment TV the last 2 years, and given our recent history it’s amazing to reflect on the fact that men’s hoops has taken the primary stage in Rutgers fandom (at least in my heart and mind) the last 2 years.

In addition, I have accumulated so many artifacts (see below) from this great run my basement will ensure I’m never gonna forget it.

Regardless of what happens with pike, Ron, geo, Paul and Caleb I will always appreciate what they did for this program. And the same goes for JY and Myles and Kwasi. Those guys lifted us to new heights.

I’m saddened this era is over, and I thought we had at least one more year to go. But it’s apparent we are officially in transition now with some substantial uncertainties to face. I’m equally nostalgic and thankful for this last 2 years when hoops filled the sports void at Rutgers and really made the fans cheer. There were so many good times. So many. Let’s see where we go next.

10893487.jpeg

The 2019-2020 team, the best of the era in my view

10893488.jpeg

10893485.jpeg
JY the missing piece this year

Great Run? After 30+ years of horrible basketball, they had just two decent years and now appear to be in a free fall again. It's back to the wilderness.
Fair assessment. It was a good run from my perspective. I was an undergrad during the Fred hill years, so, these teams looked like Woodens UCLA in comparison

Geo didn’t get off the bus I guess? But hey I’ll give them this… just as I was throwing dirt on the corpse it rose from the dead and Paul mulcahy was like “f it climb on my back”. Reason for optimism after all?

PM should no longer take a backseat to anyone on this team. He should shoot from all over the court as much as he wants and dish off as he pleases. Pikell‘s only recruiting selling point to prospects is the opportunity to play with Paul. There is nothing else to sell.

Paul can play 2 more years after this one. He’s my favorite player. Does it all. Hit some clutch 3s tonight and makes amazing passes. People tend to focus on the bad things but he’s so involved of course you have some bad mixed in, but he does so much good. No quarterback goes the whole season with 0 interceptions. With him and Cliff we’ll be alright. Replace Geo and Ron with some real scorers who can drive to the basket like Paul can, and we’ll be alright

PM should no longer take a backseat to anyone on this team. He should shoot from all over the court as much as he wants and dish off as he pleases. Pikell‘s only recruiting selling point to prospects is the opportunity to play with Paul. There is nothing else to sell.
Agree completely. Make PM a focus of the offense for the remaining games. At worst, you set the team up for the future and he leads. At best he shots us into the tournament

Pike took us somewhere out of nowhere. Setting high expectations this year was a bad idea. All of us understand that losing three good players and adding literally nobody of consequence would mean the team gets worse. That is my only frustration, how does a coach misread his team THIS badly?

Reactions: kcg88 and Rutgers25
Pike is proving he can get lucky with bringing in talent from time to time but that in general the guy is a below average recruiter and assessor of talent. He got some many things wrong over the last 12 months, it makes my head hurt.

Pike is proving he can get lucky with bringing in talent from time to time but that in general the guy is a below average recruiter and assessor of talent. He got some many things wrong over the last 12 months, it makes my head hurt.
+10000
Pike took us somewhere out of nowhere. Setting high expectations this year was a bad idea. All of us understand that losing three good players and adding literally nobody of consequence would mean the team gets worse. That is my only frustration, how does a coach misread his team THIS badly?
+100000

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT