ADVERTISEMENT

It's May 10. Do you know where your backup big man is?

ColonelRutgers

All American
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2003
At what point should I start panicking about this? The lack of physical, experienced rebound/post defender option off the bench will threaten to kill the season. I've tried to be patient here but I am getting nervous. Is anyone hearing ANYTHING? We'll eventually get someone in here but a Candido Sa type will not get it done.

There are more teams seeking skilled big men than there are skilled big men. This is nothing new, not a transfer rule/portal thing.

You can either get an unskilled big that will "give you 5 fouls" or you do what many other teams do in our situation....play a skilled player at the 5 who isn't a "traditional 5"

A theoretical lineup with Cliff on the bench of....
Baker Jones McConnell Harper Hyatt would have trouble against Cockburn or Purdue Freshman or Michigan freshman. I don't think it would get killed on the glass AND half the game is played on offense and those opposing 5 would not have a fun time guarding a Hyatt or a Mag.

What has me concerned about next year isn't our backup 5. It is our defense from our perimeter players.

College basketball has evolved (unfortunately) to the point where the most important defense is the one played right at the 3 point line.

Its a concern. I was hoping that Josh Gray would come over from LSU

Gray has been in the portal for 5 days. Might want to give him some time to figure it out before committing somewhere.

At what point should I start panicking about this? The lack of physical, experienced rebound/post defender option off the bench will threaten to kill the season. I've tried to be patient here but I am getting nervous. Is anyone hearing ANYTHING? We'll eventually get someone in here but a Candido Sa type will not get it done.
Take a Breath and Calm Down

There are more teams seeking skilled big men than there are skilled big men. This is nothing new, not a transfer rule/portal thing.

You can either get an unskilled big that will "give you 5 fouls" or you do what many other teams do in our situation....play a skilled player at the 5 who isn't a "traditional 5"

A theoretical lineup with Cliff on the bench of....
Baker Jones McConnell Harper Hyatt would have trouble against Cockburn or Purdue Freshman or Michigan freshman. I don't think it would get killed on the glass AND half the game is played on offense and those opposing 5 would not have a fun time guarding a Hyatt or a Mag.

What has me concerned about next year isn't our backup 5. It is our defense from our perimeter players.

College basketball has evolved (unfortunately) to the point where the most important defense is the one played right at the 3 point line.

So basically your worried about PM? He did play 27 minutes last year ya know though he did often guard 3s. Caleb and Geo are fine.

By May 10, Richmond had fell, it's a time I remember oh so well.

Last edited:
So basically your worried about PM? He did play 27 minutes last year ya know though he did often guard 3s. Caleb and Geo are fine.
Yes I am worried about Paul, but he is long and is a willing defender. What he lacks in lateral quickness can be made up with desire and length.

Geo was not fine last year. He was not a willing defender most of the time.

Jacob and Mathis not there means someone has to guard 1 option. the 2nd option is now guarded by the guy who was guarding the 3rd option.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker

Yes I am worried about Paul, but he is long and is a willing defender. What he lacks in lateral quickness can be made up with desire and length.

Jacob and Mathis not there means someone has to guard 1 option. the 2nd option is now guarded by the guy who was guarding the 3rd option.

I expect Ron Harper to play much better defense this year. He basically took off a lot of last year playing defense. He has it in him, it is just desire to play tougher defense.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I expect Ron Harper to play much better defense this year. He basically took off a lot of last year playing defense. He has it in him, it is just desire to play tougher defense.

Best of Luck,
Groz
I think a combination of a small chemistry issue and his slump on offense were contributors.

Jacob was our best perimeter player for most of the year. Him having his hands on the ball as often as he did might have been an issue.

Geo was just fine before JY arrived. I think we’ll be okay.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Geo was just fine before JY arrived. I think we’ll be okay.
That will be 3 years removed,. Big difference between a sophomore coming off a good freshman season with a new beginning with Freeman and Sanders leaving AND playing alongside a guy who on a nightly basis gave up his body on the defensive end.

this will be Geo’s 5th year. He has a long leash and has nothing to prove.

other than Jacob being out of the picture I don’t know what changes

A 4th off-season and a 5th preseason. Geo has seen it all. You cant compare what Cliff as a sophomore is feeling and Geo the 5th year senior who it may be more of a grind.

That will be 3 years removed,. Big difference between a sophomore coming off a good freshman season with a new beginning with Freeman and Sanders leaving AND playing alongside a guy who on a nightly basis gave up his body on the defensive end.

A 4th off-season and a 5th preseason. Geo has seen it all. You cant compare what Cliff as a sophomore is feeling and Geo the 5th year senior who it may be more of a grind.
If Baker returns,he needs to score more than 10 points per game.With the departure of Mathis,Johnson and Young Rutgers needs to makeup for the loss of more than 25 points a game.

He’ll have plenty of motivation. Wanting to go out on a good note. The point is that he wasn’t more skilled 3 years ago. Clearly he’s capable of playing perimeter defense.

Now making a higher percentage of shots in conference play is another story. His best offensive year was also the only year he didn’t miss time in early season so 12+ ppg is feasible.

2. A stretch four is gonna successfully defend Hunter Dickinson?

Answer: NO. This is not the Big East or AAC that we play in. We are in the Big Ten with emphasis on BIG. Other leagues won't come at your with the likes of Dickinson, Garza, Cockburn every night.

Last edited:
No sugar coating the fact that we needed one of the following:
- Myles to stay at RU
- Harrar to leave PSU for RU
- Pauly Paul from DePaul to pick RU, not WVU

It didn't happen so we're going to have a heavy dose of Reiber or small lineups when Cliff is on the bench. It's not optimal but hopefully we'll still be able to win.

- Myles to stay at RU

It didn't happen so we're going to have a heavy dose of Reiber or small lineups when Cliff is on the bench. It's not optimal but hopefully we'll still be able to win.
There still lots of transfer, JUCO, and HS bigs who can help us next season.

Reactions: zazoo2002
2. A stretch four is gonna successfully defend Hunter Dickinson?

Answer: NO. This is not the Big East or AAC that we play in. We are in the Big Ten with emphasis on BIG. Other leagues won't come at your with the likes of Dickinson, Garza, Cockburn every night.

And yet the B1G got its ass cooked in the tourney lol

Reactions: Knight Ed
- Myles to stay at RU

it’s still May 14. May not need sugar

Reactions: LeapinLou
Just get the feeling Pike is laying in the weeds and will pounce on the right fit 4/5 for the team. If I’m wrong, chalk it up to major improvement by Reiber. Only Pike knows where we stand with Reiber development and all the frosh for that matter.

There is no way Pike couldn’t land a JUCO utility big if he wanted one right now. He has a plan of some sort.

I trust Coach. I believe that over the next 3 months he will add someone to help Cliff and RU. He has a plan.

There is no way Pike couldn’t land a JUCO utility big if he wanted one right now. He has a plan of some sort.
Guys like this don't really exist. Candido Sa was one of the best JUCO bigs available and he was barely a passable Big Ten player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT