ADVERTISEMENT

It's over, pack it up and go home. Hobbs not supporting NIL at RU.

Facts and factual analysis matter. Emotional outbursts and hand waving usually result in incorrect and/or bad results. But that does not stop our own fans from making assertions and in the process doing more harm than good, even when they are purportedly well-intended.
You're right. But "fan" is short for "fanatic" and fanatics are emotional. At least it's pretty harmless to be a fanatic about a sports team.

Two and three posts above provide the significant differences in the Ohio Statute on NIL and the NJ Statute. And guess who had a hand in drafting the Ohio Statute? Ohio State University. How convenient. Look at the restrictions on Rutgers and its employees and officers in the NJ Statute compared to virtually no restrictions in the Ohio Statute. Whether Hobbs reached out the Gene Smith or not, Rutgers may not be able to do what Ohio State is doing because the restrictions in NJ are stricter than in Ohio.

You have the hubris to assert that "The future is bleak and it will be Hobbs' fault." Because there is no "support for the NIL from everybody especially at the top."

Well, the NJ statute specifically prohibits Rutgers and its officers and employees from: "causing compensation to be directed to a current or prospective student athlete."

Maybe you want to reconsider or dial back your opinion and statements.
Sadly those who know the least yell the loudest!!!

Reactions: Knight Shift
Sadly those who know the least yell the loudest!!!
Look where Rutgers Athletics was seven short years ago. Look what has happened under the tenure of Pat Hobbs. But we have very special fans holding grudges against Pat, ready to come out with pitchforks, fire and insults at the slightest provocation, even when the facts do not support their position. Some Rutgers fans get what they deserve. Be careful what you wish for.

Your thread title is unnecessarily provocative and negative towards Hobbs. That is not at all what is happening. Posts like yours do more harm than good-they foment division and dissent, which is not what we need. So, until you have more concrete facts than those from a douchebag writer who has proven time and time again that he has no clue as to what is going inside RU athletics, I would respectfully ask you to change your thread title.

I can tell you that at a donor event the feeling was that Rutgers would get it figured out. Do we need Ohio State to show us the way? It's a nice sentiment and makes for a great story, but remember when Urban Meyer and Barry Alvarez gave us a big hand and recommended Chris Ash for the head coach job? How did that work out? How do you know if Pat or Shawn has not reached out to Ohio State or other peer schools already on NIL? We don't, because these types of things happen in back channels, and they are certainly not calling Steve Politi to break the story.

Are you aware that there are several NIL efforts that are currently up and running? Businesses are involved. Money is coming in. Rutgers tweeted out quite a few NIL deals for RU athletes over the last couple of weeks.
Hobbs =

29.-GettyImages-563866193-2db9d52-e1565360394674.jpg

Lot of misinformation, here are the cliff note facts:

1. Rutgers (as w/most schools) has launched 2 NIL platforms (KOR and Geo's venture)
2. They weren't at the forefront with launching them, nor were they last. Pretty much in the middle
3. Initially launched w/individual donors / player retention in mind, now going after corporations
4. Hobbs could have been more indirectly involved, but his hands were / are tied (BOG / state regulations)
5. NCAA again dropped the ball not regulating this off the bat as different states permit different things
6. Facilities, though important, are secondary right now (B1G tv contract $$$ will be paramount on this front)
7. Per GS, we'll need between 6-8 million to compete annually RIGHT NOW (OSU said 13 mil for them) - difference being player retention for us, player retention/acquisition for them

PH knows this importance of this. Without a viable NIL, say goodbye to any sort of competitive football, with other sports soon to follow.

I keep repeating the same mantra but it's true - either donate or continue seeing OSU type drubbings. The potential is there. Though I'd love to have a Knight, Pickens, BHG, Jimmy Rane, etc. type donor(s), we can compete with a buy in from the fan base plus NYC metro area corporations getting on board.

Frankly I'm tired of getting smoked by the big boys, and have donated to both ventures. NIL was happening before NIL, now it's just legal and out in the open.

Multiple RU players from different sports have singed deals. Most prominent being Caleb - we don't keep him this year without NIL.

*** If you have the funds, please consider donating. Jon and the gang at KOR are terrific, and any venture w/Geo is something to at least consider

So RU needs to do more to encourage it's med and dentistry schools to become huge fans of RUFB. And RU needs to create a pre-law major for undergrad and encourage them to become huge fans of RUFB.

Then we can ask those grads to show us the money!

This is a total misconception. The top people in business and finance make so much more than doctors and lawyers. Those are the people Rutgers needs to target. Grads from law school and medical schools are too busy paying off student loans to have anything left over for the NIL.

If any of you have premium take a look over there. There are literally board members from the NIL saying Hobbs is not on board, is not helping & is working against NIL.
There is a difference between not being on board with NIL and not being on board with organizations like KOR, which are not necessary for NIL deals, and may not be in compliance with all rules currently in effect. Personally I’m going to give to an org that takes 15% from the athletes for itself.

My thread title was intentionally provocative, not because I am a negative fan who believes that Rutgers cannot succeed, but because I'm the opposite. I believe that Rutgers can have a powerhouse football team and I don't want to see Rutgers fail because the administration failed to adjust to the latest environment. All of Rutgers current problems on the field, IMO, originate in the administration failures of the past. Grunninger turning down the Big East. The Board of trustees offering only 1.4 million to replace Schiano. The hiring of Ash, Herman, Littlepage, the list is to long. And each of these failures set us back years and millions of dollars. The NIL is. It is here and it's going to make a major impact. If our administration fails to fully embrace it we cannot succeed. And it wasn't just the Politi article, although the OSU AD quote was telling. The AD of another school calling out by name another AD and pointing out that that AD is failing. That is a red flag. But beside the Politi article there are others sounding the alarm. see MrsScrew's post.

The Rutgers administration has not given me any confidence that it should be trusted. Hobbs has done a very good job with hiring of coaches for other sports, but we must remember that he hired Ash and it took a fan revolt for him to sign Schiano. And now there are reports and a perception that he is not all in on NIL and perception becomes reality, especially when you are trying to sell a program to 17 and 18 year old recruits. That has to stop now. Rutgers needs to be seen as all in.
You don’t understand that this is not led by schools. It’s led by boosters. If you want tk make a difference, either start paying kids directly or join the collective. Forget about Pat Hobbs and NIL.

This is a total misconception. The top people in business and finance make so much more than doctors and lawyers. Those are the people Rutgers needs to target. Grads from law school and medical schools are too busy paying off student loans to have anything left over for the NIL.
I was half joking, at least. The effort should be made at every level of the school, in every program. If there was going to be some extra emphasis, I'd probably say it ought to be in the honor's programs students who probably have the statistically highest odds of becoming entrepreneurs or CEOs. But basically, it needs to be blanket marketing that starts before the kids are even on campus and never ends thereafter.

BTW, depending on what they wind up doing after law school, top law school grads are making so much money, with so little time to spend any, that they pay off their student loans in no time. Although I suppose that depends somewhat upon the school. (https://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/median). I think Columbia grads actually report a median starting graduate salary at $193K (private sector jobs). Not wealthy, but it's not a bad place to start and the sky's the limit for them.

Lot of misinformation, here are the cliff note facts:

1. Rutgers (as w/most schools) has launched 2 NIL platforms (KOR and Geo's venture)
2. They weren't at the forefront with launching them, nor were they last. Pretty much in the middle
3. Initially launched w/individual donors / player retention in mind, now going after corporations
4. Hobbs could have been more indirectly involved, but his hands were / are tied (BOG / state regulations)
5. NCAA again dropped the ball not regulating this off the bat as different states permit different things
6. Facilities, though important, are secondary right now (B1G tv contract $$$ will be paramount on this front)
7. Per GS, we'll need between 6-8 million to compete annually RIGHT NOW (OSU said 13 mil for them) - difference being player retention for us, player retention/acquisition for them

PH knows this importance of this. Without a viable NIL, say goodbye to any sort of competitive football, with other sports soon to follow.

I keep repeating the same mantra but it's true - either donate or continue seeing OSU type drubbings. The potential is there. Though I'd love to have a Knight, Pickens, BHG, Jimmy Rane, etc. type donor(s), we can compete with a buy in from the fan base plus NYC metro area corporations getting on board.

Frankly I'm tired of getting smoked by the big boys, and have donated to both ventures. NIL was happening before NIL, now it's just legal and out in the open.

Multiple RU players from different sports have singed deals. Most prominent being Caleb - we don't keep him this year without NIL.

*** If you have the funds, please consider donating. Jon and the gang at KOR are terrific, and any venture w/Geo is something to at least consider
Everything you say is right, but the reason the NCAA hasn't stepped in is the fear of further anti-trust litigation. What we need is federal legislation to establish an even playing field.

I was half joking, at least. The effort should be made at every level of the school, in every program. If there was going to be some extra emphasis, I'd probably say it ought to be in the honor's programs students who probably have the statistically highest odds of becoming entrepreneurs or CEOs. But basically, it needs to be blanket marketing that starts before the kids are even on campus and never ends thereafter.

BTW, depending on what they wind up doing after law school, top law school grads are making so much money, with so little time to spend any, that they pay off their student loans in no time. Although I suppose that depends somewhat upon the school. (https://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/median). I think Columbia grads actually report a median starting graduate salary at $193K (private sector jobs). Not wealthy, but it's not a bad place to start and the sky's the limit for them.
You're right about top law school grads. . . but that only covers maybe 10% of the graduating class. A lot of other grads are scuffling.

Reactions: rutgersal
"Hi Pat. It's Gene. So, here's how you do the NIL thing. First, you need to be able to recruit 5* players. You can start looking at the top players in NJ that we usually take. That helps you win games. Then, you need to play for national championships. After that, you just ask your wealthiest alumni for large donations masked as endorsement compensation for your players. It's really easy. We have an excel spreadsheet that tracks all of this and we show recruits when they're on campus. Once you win a national championship and have alumni who have pride in their alma mater it's really quite easy. Let me know if you have any questions."
Agree.. with the mockery you use. Gene Smith gave this quote because it serves Gene Smith (and Ohio State). Recruiting Jersey is important for all top programs because the State U doesn't have the power to compete with them when Jersey produces the 4 stars and 5 stars. But taking a swing at Hobbs and Rutgers and NIL the way Smith did it is telling all Jersey recruits.. by using the Star-Ledger and NJ.com.. that Ohio State is a leader in NIL and Rutgers is not.

Self-serving BS and Politi went for it, hook, line and sinker.

Way to go, Steve. Way to serve your community bringing us the sports news.

Everything you say is right, but the reason the NCAA hasn't stepped in is the fear of further anti-trust litigation. What we need is federal legislation to establish an even playing field.
Absolutely, wish they would have gotten out in front of this and been proactive (re. federal legislation), but they are a corrupt (and clearly not a forward thinking) bunch

The NIL without a reasonable cap, just to give these kids some spending money is a COMPLETE FAIL by the NCAA. After all these years of looking the other way at what the blue bloods did, the forking NCAA managed to come up with a system that's even worse. Unforking real.

Even playing field? Again with this farce.

Does that apply to all "donor support" or just NIL?
OSU receiving millions more in direct support from donors to the AD isn't fair to Rutgers.
Ban all donor support or just put a "reasonable" cap on it.
Why should OSU benefit from a more engaged fanbase (NIL or direct donations)?

I'm also going to assume the "even playing field" doesn't apply to conference revenues.
Heaven forbid the "even playing field" actually be even across FBS.

Absolutely, wish they would have gotten out in front of this and been proactive (re. federal legislation), but they are a corrupt (and clearly not a forward thinking) bunch
The NCAA and the commissioners of the Power 5 conferences have aurged federal legislation. The Power 5 commissioners want a ban on booster involvement in NIL and on "pay-to-play." There is division in Congress about what should be in legislation and how restrictive it should be. It is unlikely that legislation will pass this Congress (which ends the end of the year) and so the issue will probably go over to the new Congress elected in November. So it's not a matter of corruption, but of lack of consensus -- which is what usually prevents legislation on important subjects. https://www.si.com/college/2022/08/31/nil-regulations-power-five-commissioners-urge-congress

Even playing field? Again with this farce.

Does that apply to all "donor support" or just NIL?
OSU receiving millions more in direct support from donors to the AD isn't fair to Rutgers.
Ban all donor support or just put a "reasonable" cap on it.
Why should OSU benefit from a more engaged fanbase (NIL or direct donations)?

I'm also going to assume the "even playing field" doesn't apply to conference revenues.
Heaven forbid the "even playing field" actually be even across FBS.
Of course, what I meant was an even playing field on NIL so that the rules wouldn't be different in different states. The rest of what you want is, for better or worse, not going to happen anytime soon.

Posted this on the pay board but again, NIL is led by boosters. OSU's AD isn't running them and neither is any AD. The only thing OSU's AD is doing is pretending to put up some facade of compliance to rules that aren't being enforced.

His offer to help anyone on NIL is an absolute joke.

Posted this on the pay board but again, NIL is led by boosters. OSU's AD isn't running them and neither is any AD. The only thing OSU's AD is doing is pretending to put up some facade of compliance to rules that aren't being enforced.

His offer to help anyone on NIL is an absolute joke.
Ok let’s have Hobbs pretend as well.. What exactly does the pretending consist of?’

He doesn’t need to be put in any position he’s the AD & should know/understand the stature which doesn’t kick in till
2025…

What stature? AD's don't run NIL's. Boosters. Do. This seems really complicated for some people to understand. It isn't.

Again. Boosters run NIL's. Not AD's.

"The Foundation, a collective co-founded by former Ohio State quarterback Cardale Jones and local real estate executive Brian Schottenstein, launched on March 31. Other members of The Foundation’s board include former OSU football coach Urban Meyer, football players J.T. Barrett, Terry McLaurin and Will Allen and basketball star D’Angelo Russell, among others.

Cohesion Foundation, a collective founded by former Ohio State walk-on wide receiver Gary Marcinick, launched on April 12. Cohesion’s board includes former OSU football players Zach Boren, Adam Griffin and Jeff Heuerman and professional golfer Gary Nicklaus, and Griffin and Nicklaus’ more famous fathers – Ohio State legends Archie Griffin and Jack Nicklaus – are also among that collective’s supporters.

Both collectives are operating separately from one another and are not operated by Ohio State, though Cohesion Foundation made a sponsorship deal with Ohio State through Learfield which allows Cohesion to use Ohio State trademarks."

What stature? AD's don't run NIL's. Boosters. Do. This seems really complicated for some people to understand. It isn't.

Again. Boosters run NIL's. Not AD's.

"The Foundation, a collective co-founded by former Ohio State quarterback Cardale Jones and local real estate executive Brian Schottenstein, launched on March 31. Other members of The Foundation’s board include former OSU football coach Urban Meyer, football players J.T. Barrett, Terry McLaurin and Will Allen and basketball star D’Angelo Russell, among others.

Cohesion Foundation, a collective founded by former Ohio State walk-on wide receiver Gary Marcinick, launched on April 12. Cohesion’s board includes former OSU football players Zach Boren, Adam Griffin and Jeff Heuerman and professional golfer Gary Nicklaus, and Griffin and Nicklaus’ more famous fathers – Ohio State legends Archie Griffin and Jack Nicklaus – are also among that collective’s supporters.

Both collectives are operating separately from one another and are not operated by Ohio State, though Cohesion Foundation made a sponsorship deal with Ohio State through Learfield which allows Cohesion to use Ohio State trademarks."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT