ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Jacob Young in the Portal

So two of our best veteran players don't want to come back to RU, probably 3 with Geo on the clock...and we're not supposed to be worried? 🤔

Yea? Are they starters from a tourney team too?
To name a few:

Noah Locke
Qudus Wahab
Xavier Pinson
Emmitt Matthews Jr
James Reese

The guy is going pro. If he somehow still doesn’t have enough interest, then he probably wants to go somewhere where it can be the Jacob Young show at all times.

As of now we’re losing two grad transfers, one of whom would be gone after this year under normal circumstances anyway. If you want to believe the house is on fire I’m not going to try to convince you otherwise. I’m not in panic mode yet.

Johnson and Young

1. Are from California and Texas
2. Earned their Rutgers degrees
3. Accomplished the goal of getting Rutgers to the tournament
4. Had that taken away
5. Played through a pandemic season and accomplished it AGAIN
6. Won Rutgers first tournament game in nearly 40 years.

I don't think it's unreasonable that they see this moment as the natural end of a chapter in their lives and are seeing what's next.

If local guys who are underclassmen and getting playing time like RHJ or Paul or Cliff transfer then we can have a Steve Pikiell conversation.

Johnson and Young

1. Are from California and Texas
2. Earned their Rutgers degrees
3. Accomplished the goal of getting Rutgers to the tournament
4. Had that taken away
5. Played through a pandemic season and accomplished it AGAIN
6. Won Rutgers first tournament game in nearly 40 years.

I don't think it's unreasonable that they see this moment as the natural end of a chapter in their lives and are seeing what's next.

If local guys who are underclassmen and getting playing time like RHJ or Paul or Cliff transfer then we can have a Steve Pikiell conversation.

My gut is Geo is coming back and hence Young leaves
Key is Geo
He comes back

Geo
Paul
Jaden
Ron
Cliff

Bench
2 transfers
Mathis
McConnell
Mag
Etc

Reactions: SBP
My gut is Geo is coming back and hence Young leaves
Key is Geo
He comes back

Geo
Paul
Jaden
Ron
Cliff

Bench
2 transfers
Mathis
McConnell
Mag
Etc

If Geo comes back, I think Caleb starts over Jaden to start the year. Or ideally a starting 4 transfers in and Ron plays the 3

JY in the portal is a surprise, but certainly not hid departure.
I thought MJ was 50/50; my read now is that there's a 10-15% chance he chooses RU as his option.
Geo I think is bout 60-40% that he does not return.
MM is I think is about a 30% chance he leaves.
I think likelihood is about 70% that MD leaves, dropping down for PT.

Last edited:
Reactions: gregkoko
Maybe it will if he progresses next year as much as he did from last year to this year. He turned into a much better offensive and defensive player this year compared to last. If he made that kind of improvement next year, I think that he definitely winds up on an NBA roster despite being 25.
As much as I love the kid I don’t see him ending up on any NBA roster. He’s not a true point guard and isn’t big enough to play the two.

You tell me. You've obviously analyzed who the 921, oops, it's now 927 players are. I'll wait.

If pikiell loses these guys to other schools I highly doubt he replaces them with better or equal talent. He does not recruit the hs ranks that well so I doubt it'll be much different for the transfer portal

How many times did Young carry Rutgers only to have the ball handed to Geo to brick a shot or turn the ball over in the last two minutes of a game this ytear. Young was easily the better option but Coach kept giving the ball to the guy with the weak handle and the 9th best shooting percentage on the team no matter how many times he failed. No one can imagine Young having an issue with that?

Reactions: RU-AGK
Congratulations Jacob and best of luck in your journey in life. Enjoyed your guts and energy at Rutgers. All the best going forward.

Reactions: MADHAT1
If pikiell loses these guys to other schools I highly doubt he replaces them with better or equal talent. He does not recruit the hs ranks that well so I doubt it'll be much different for the transfer portal
So let me try to keep up. You're concerned that he won't be able to replace a transfer to Rutgers, (Jacob Young, who has been in college for 5 years and has a degree already), with someone of equal or better talent because you have doubts he'll be able to recruit the transfer portal well. Makes sense.

Why? He has the same opportunity to stay here and play as the others. The others might also want to lead a team, want to hear feedback, be on one that goes deeper in tourney, etc.

Because he’s reached the end of the time he, and Pike, expected him to spend here. That to me is a bit different than transferring as a sophomore or junior.

Does anyone recall who was easily the leader on RU in turnovers ?

Transfers that Pike has brought in:
Shaq Carter
Akwasi Yeboah
Jacob Young

Does anyone recall who was easily the leader on RU in turnovers ?
Ah yes, I’m sure Oklahoma State is ecstatic about losing Cade Cunningham too, since he led them in turnovers — see how silly this game is

Forgot Souf Mensah and Peter Kiss.

Though in fairness also Gettys.
I forgot getty's but 3/6 isn't something fans should be pointing to as a blessing. Looks average at best. Two dud transfers and it will set us back immensely

As much as I love the kid I don’t see him ending up on any NBA roster. He’s not a true point guard and isn’t big enough to play the two.
I agree that he is not a true point guard right now, but he made a big progression toward that this year compared to last. If could could be made to realize that his best and probably only shot at the NBA is to become a much better distributor, that is something that can be learned. He could easily make a big leap as a better distributor and orchestrator of the offense. That might boost his offensive game a little more too. He probably have a few more open drives or short jumper looks if defenders view his as an assist threat too.

I forgot getty's but 3/6 isn't something fans should be pointing to as a blessing. Looks average at best. Two dud transfers and it will set us back immensely
You’re right. Inexcusable for him to have a couple of sub-par transfers coming in during his first two years coaching a team that literally no one wanted to play for.

Edit: Also unless you’re saying that either Shaq Carter, Kwas or JY weren’t real contributors, it’s 4/6.

In fairness weren’t the two that didn’t pain out earlier in Pike’s tenure than not?

Reactions: cm_13
You’re right. Inexcusable for him to have a couple of sub-par transfers coming in during his first two years coaching a team that literally no one wanted to play for.

Seriously the dude was just trying to fill the roster at that point. It's a completely different situation.

Reactions: cm_13
Peter kiss
Souf mensah

So what is that? 2/5 for real contributors?
Gettys too. Plus Shaq Carter was a true contributor so I see it as 4 for 6. Pretty good. That 6'9" transfer from a JUCO Texas during Pike's first year was a big contributor too. Sorry that I do not remember his name. That would be 5 for 7.

Last edited:
Good one. There are 919 players not from Rutgers in the portal as of 3:49pm in case you haven't been paying attention.

Just curious, what coach out there does have control over his own program this year? I'll hang up and listen.

How many were starters on the #11 ranked team in the country?

Reactions: RUSCFORMERLYRULOU
this is not a surprise, why are people freaking out

the ncaa opened the can of worms and most of you supported it.

it was an awful idea from the start creating a ridiculous free agency..thank god that players cannot profit off their likeness yet because there would be some serious cash flowing right now.

I would hope it would be easier to attract a talented player now that the coach and program have demonstrated they can be successful versus trying to recruit when your program is in the throes of the longest NCAA Tournament drought by a Power Conference school.

No matter what happens, this year is unlike any other year in the history of college basketball for a lot of reasons so to be freaking out because anyone is transferring, no less two guys who have graduated is hard to understand. When the music stops, we can evaluate our roster and how well the staff is doing in attracting and retaining talent but right now everyone is in uncharted territory. Pikiell has said numerous times that you have to constantly be recruiting because turnover and transfers are the norm today and you have to assume you'll have a lot of player movement every year.

Reactions: fluoxetine
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT