ADVERTISEMENT

James Franklin deleted tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Eight wins with your eyes closed." They won seven. Five of the six losses were to teams that finished the season ranked. The other was to a Temple team that won 10 games. Is that really such an indictment on James Franklin? One fewer win that you would have expected?

In 2016, if Penn State does only what it did last season - beat the teams its supposed to, lose to the others - it would likely result in an 8-4 record. I think 8-9 wins seems like an appropriate expectation, so no disagreement there, though many PSU fans are tempering expectations with the new QB and coaching turnover. We'll see what happens. Personally, I think our offense will take big steps forward this fall.
So, are Penn State fans happy being second tier in the B1G while paying a first tier salary to Franklin? How many more years do you guys give him to get Penn State to first tier? This is not meant to be snarky or a put down--you guys are paying him $4.4 million/year.

So, are Penn State fans happy being second tier in the B1G while paying a first tier salary to Franklin? How many more years do you guys give him to get Penn State to first tier? This is not meant to be snarky or a put down--you guys are paying him $4.4 million/year.

Plenty of casual Penn State fans are already upset with Franklin, whether it be for what you outlined above or because he's simply not a "Joe Paterno guy" or some combination of both. One of the problems in that regard is, Franklin was very outspoken when he took the job, with things like "Dominate the State" and talking about competing for championships. I think he set the bar a little too high for what was reasonable to accomplish in his first couple of seasons. It wasn't necessarily a mistake - it's certainly helped in recruiting - but the casual fan doesn't follow the decisions of 16- and 17-year-old kids and likely isn't looking two or three years down the road.

For the more invested Penn State fan, the one who knows the players, watches every snap, pays attention to all aspects of the program and how it is being built, James Franklin is going to get at least two more seasons to prove he's the guy for the long haul. To me, I think you want to see this team take a step forward this season and win 8-9 games, and do so in a fashion that inspires confidence moving forward. Primarily, that means the offense is effective and entertaining. A season like that will only enhance this staff's recruiting even more. Then, in 2017, when you have a roster loaded with talent and experience, and presumably a returning starter at QB, Penn State should challenge for 10 wins and compete for the B1G East title. That's my timeline, at least.

Fortunately, the athletics department will likely lean much further to my view of things than all those fools you see ripping Franklin in Facebook comments sections. Look at how PSU treated Pat Chambers, the basketball coach. His results on the court were lacking, but he received a contract extension largely based on his recruiting successes. We started to see some of the fruits from those successes this season, and things should improve further with a top-25 class nationally coming in. Building a basketball program in State College will take time. And so will rebuilding a football program coming off everything that happened earlier this decade.

Franklin's salary is irrelevant to me, because Penn State can afford it and my season ticket costs haven't been impacted at all. He wasn't brought in to win titles in 2014 and 2015; his job the past two seasons was to steady the program and build it up through recruiting so it's positioned to eventually return to that top tier. Now we're approaching "winning time."

Reactions: MrWise
Well, at least you now get into a conversation mode...I understand some depth issues but it seems that you guys lean on the sanctions way too much. And I am sure every other fan base does as well too. I'm not sure the sanctions hurt as much as it would seem it should. You guys still had a lot of highly ranked kids on the field most of the time, even if they were young. And when it comes to OL play, no one understands what it takes for most OL to be good more than I do. But an OL that is a project takes 3 years a high 3 or 4 star OL should be serviceable in their 2nd year. Good in their 3-4 year. Franklin had to find a way to make Hack successful. That kid just has way too much talent and you had some very good skill players out there. Again, he needs to coach

Get what ur saying but please understand that last year was only franklins second full season as HC. His first full recruiting class was true freshman last year, all of the o lineman recruits were redshirted so this season we will see redshirt freshman representing franklin's first batch of OL recruits so it's the first year we'll see them on the field, Franklin needs time

Get what ur saying but please understand that last year was only franklins second full season as HC. His first full recruiting class was true freshman last year, all of the o lineman recruits were redshirted so this season we will see redshirt freshman representing franklin's first batch of OL recruits so it's the first year we'll see them on the field, Franklin needs time

So, with that...you are saying he shouldn't get any credit for the 2014 Defense? And in the past two years, who would you point to as being coached up? I'm not trying to be snarky on my question, I really don't know who may seem to be on the rise over there.

So, with that...you are saying he shouldn't get any credit for the 2014 Defense? And in the past two years, who would you point to as being coached up? I'm not trying to be snarky on my question, I really don't know who may seem to be on the rise over there.

In reference to guys being "coached up," I'll just caution that a player's development in this day and age is primarily thanks to his position coach, not the head coach.

Reactions: LC-88
In reference to guys being "coached up," I'll just caution that a player's development in this day and age is primarily thanks to his position coach, not the head coach.

HC has to take the good with the bad. HC gets credit if a player blossoms under him so he has to take any blame for who doesn't. And yeah, I sort of know who works with these players...

Although the head coach is ultimately responsible for everything that happens in the program, it's pointless to give him too much credit or blame for individual players or units, and their development, or lack thereof. That's a much too simple way of viewing things.

Carl Nassib didn't go from walk-on to NFL draft pick because of James Franklin; he did so through hard work on the field and in the weight room, and presumably good defensive line coaching from Sean Spencer and his predecessors. Chris Godwin didn't have a breakout season because of Franklin; he did because he's a great talent and presumably has benefited from working under a former NFL wide receiver in Josh Gattis. Likewise, to tie this in to some earlier subjects in this thread, Franklin didn't "ruin" Christian Hackenberg, or fail to coach up the OL, which struggled for a multitude of reasons, from a lack of talent to John Donovan's inability to be a competent OC and so on.

My point is, by all means give the head coach credit for choosing high-quality assistants and creating an environment that attracts talented players who fit the scheme, or blame him if he fails to do those things. But to throw out complements and blame to the head coach on a player-by-player basis, based on how they develop in their college career, is largely a waste of time. The head coach simply has too many responsibilities, 99.9% of the time, to work consistently with any one position group or player.

If ur asking should he get any credit for the personnel on that defense than the answer is no. We've been very fortunate that we haven't had many injuries on the defensive side of the ball so not a lot of depth was behind those guys. As far as scheme and all that then yes he does deserve credit. The defense has been considerably better under Franklin then O'Briens.

As for the o-line. Most teams bring in 4-5 OL recruits per year and like to have anywhere between 18-20 scholarship o lineman on their team of all different classes. Franklin walked into a situation where because the sanctions limited the number of players we could bring in, the o line was decimated. There were three o lineman TOTAL when he got the job who were sophomores or higher. So even by recruiting these top guys the o line is insanely young even still and Franklin was forced to play guys that weren't ready with no one behind them for depth. Hackenberg got sacked 44 and 39 times respectively the last two years.... Over that time period that's more than any other QB in college football. Until the o line can get the numbers up which we should start seeing this year, ur never going to have a good offense if the line can't protect the QB.

Now this year we have some o lineman coming up that are supposed to be pretty good, add in the fact that Mcsorely is a mobile QB and not a statue like Hackenberg, it will open up plays and extend them. PSU is very much on their way back to being a perennial top 25 team but we might still be a year away. The effect of the sanctions will be all but gone by 2017 and completely gone in 2018. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see psu challenging Ohio state for big ten championships as early as 2017

One thing every RU fan can agree on- long live Franklin at Psu.

That's something any logical Psu fan would agree with u on as well. U do know that since Franklin became coach, he can pick and choose any mutual recruit he wants right?

Not a dig but very much so the current trend of Rutgers recruiting is that kids go to Rutgers when they didn't get offered by penn state

Plenty of casual Penn State fans are already upset with Franklin, whether it be for what you outlined above or because he's simply not a "Joe Paterno guy" or some combination of both. One of the problems in that regard is, Franklin was very outspoken when he took the job, with things like "Dominate the State" and talking about competing for championships. I think he set the bar a little too high for what was reasonable to accomplish in his first couple of seasons. It wasn't necessarily a mistake - it's certainly helped in recruiting - but the casual fan doesn't follow the decisions of 16- and 17-year-old kids and likely isn't looking two or three years down the road.

For the more invested Penn State fan, the one who knows the players, watches every snap, pays attention to all aspects of the program and how it is being built, James Franklin is going to get at least two more seasons to prove he's the guy for the long haul. To me, I think you want to see this team take a step forward this season and win 8-9 games, and do so in a fashion that inspires confidence moving forward. Primarily, that means the offense is effective and entertaining. A season like that will only enhance this staff's recruiting even more. Then, in 2017, when you have a roster loaded with talent and experience, and presumably a returning starter at QB, Penn State should challenge for 10 wins and compete for the B1G East title. That's my timeline, at least.

Fortunately, the athletics department will likely lean much further to my view of things than all those fools you see ripping Franklin in Facebook comments sections. Look at how PSU treated Pat Chambers, the basketball coach. His results on the court were lacking, but he received a contract extension largely based on his recruiting successes. We started to see some of the fruits from those successes this season, and things should improve further with a top-25 class nationally coming in. Building a basketball program in State College will take time. And so will rebuilding a football program coming off everything that happened earlier this decade.

Franklin's salary is irrelevant to me, because Penn State can afford it and my season ticket costs haven't been impacted at all. He wasn't brought in to win titles in 2014 and 2015; his job the past two seasons was to steady the program and build it up through recruiting so it's positioned to eventually return to that top tier. Now we're approaching "winning time."

I'm not sure how you (or others) expect us to go from an 8-9 win season to challenging for a B1G East title. Getting to 10 wins isn't winning you the B1G East. Franklin has done a nice job recruiting but he certainly hasn't blown the doors off and is getting less talent than both OSU and UM.

Comparing Pat Chambers to James Franklin is silly. Let me tell you the probability of James Franklin getting an extension if he wins 8 games this year...or nine. Zero. Franklin's "Return to Glory" spiel is starting to wear thin on the recruiting trail.

I also disagree about the salary part. Why would anyone running a business pay someone a $100,000 salary to do a $50,000 job? That's just dumb.

That's something any logical Psu fan would agree with u on as well. U do know that since Franklin became coach, he can pick and choose any mutual recruit he wants right?

Not a dig but very much so the current trend of Rutgers recruiting is that kids go to Rutgers when they didn't get offered by penn state

I'd be careful with this. CJF killed it in NJ for one year and got his ass kicked last year. I know some will argue the reasons why but it isn't looking too good this year either. Not to mention that he is getting destroyed in his own state for 2017.

I'm not sure how you (or others) expect us to go from an 8-9 win season to challenging for a B1G East title. Getting to 10 wins isn't winning you the B1G East. Franklin has done a nice job recruiting but he certainly hasn't blown the doors off and is getting less talent than both OSU and UM.

Comparing Pat Chambers to James Franklin is silly. Let me tell you the probability of James Franklin getting an extension if he wins 8 games this year...or nine. Zero. Franklin's "Return to Glory" spiel is starting to wear thin on the recruiting trail.

I also disagree about the salary part. Why would anyone running a business pay someone a $100,000 salary to do a $50,000 job? That's just dumb.

Teams go from 8- or 9-win seasons, or worse, to competing for titles all the time. How did the 2005 Penn State team manage to reach the Orange Bowl? It should have realized it couldn't actually improve from its 4-7 record the year before. As far as how this team can improve? Well, the recruiting has been pretty damn good since James Franklin and his staff got to State College, and that will only improve if (when?) the team shows this fall that it's on track to get back to the upper tier of the B1G and potentially college football as a whole.

The 2017 team could potentially include a returning starter at QB, one of the best running backs in the sport, one of the best groups of receivers in the sport, a still-young but talented and more experienced offensive line, and talented players throughout the defense - though I'll give you that DT and LB depth remains a question mark at this point. There's no reason why the team I just described can't challenge the best teams in the conference, at least there shouldn't be.

I wasn't necessarily comparing Pat Chambers' situation to Franklin's, as football and men's basketball are not, and likely will never be, on the same level at Penn State. Rather, it's an indication that the athletic department isn't going to go firing coaches left and right and turn this job into a revolving door. Franklin won't be a lame duck until we're entering the 2018 season, so there will be plenty of time for him to earn his next contract. The overall point remains, however, that he isn't going before the end of the 2017 season (barring a complete disaster this season, e.g. a 6-6 season with losses to Pitt and Temple).

Finally, there's no comparing a normal business to a college football program, or any other job in sports for that matter. Franklin's salary is in line with the going rate for those who take premier head coaching jobs. And no matter what you want to say about Penn State's recent history, given its tradition and built-in advantages it remains a top job. Using your 50 cents to the dollar example, I'm not sure a coach who only commands $2 million per season could have pulled in top-20 classes and avoided a losing season in PSU's situation.

Teams go from 8- or 9-win seasons, or worse, to competing for titles all the time. How did the 2005 Penn State team manage to reach the Orange Bowl? It should have realized it couldn't actually improve from its 4-7 record the year before. As far as how this team can improve? Well, the recruiting has been pretty damn good since James Franklin and his staff got to State College, and that will only improve if (when?) the team shows this fall that it's on track to get back to the upper tier of the B1G and potentially college football as a whole.

The 2017 team could potentially include a returning starter at QB, one of the best running backs in the sport, one of the best groups of receivers in the sport, a still-young but talented and more experienced offensive line, and talented players throughout the defense - though I'll give you that DT and LB depth remains a question mark at this point. There's no reason why the team I just described can't challenge the best teams in the conference, at least there shouldn't be.

I wasn't necessarily comparing Pat Chambers' situation to Franklin's, as football and men's basketball are not, and likely will never be, on the same level at Penn State. Rather, it's an indication that the athletic department isn't going to go firing coaches left and right and turn this job into a revolving door. Franklin won't be a lame duck until we're entering the 2018 season, so there will be plenty of time for him to earn his next contract. The overall point remains, however, that he isn't going before the end of the 2017 season (barring a complete disaster this season, e.g. a 6-6 season with losses to Pitt and Temple).

Finally, there's no comparing a normal business to a college football program, or any other job in sports for that matter. Franklin's salary is in line with the going rate for those who take premier head coaching jobs. And no matter what you want to say about Penn State's recent history, given its tradition and built-in advantages it remains a top job. Using your 50 cents to the dollar example, I'm not sure a coach who only commands $2 million per season could have pulled in top-20 classes and avoided a losing season in PSU's situation.

We can agree to disagree. Franklin had one excellent recruiting class and that was his first. He didn't finish T20 this past season in recruiting. Those DT and LB whiffs are going to eventually impact the play on the field when you have other teams that are recruiting at a higher level consistently that you have on the schedule every year. I did underestimate the offense though, you're right there. Hard to believe that OL could actually be the biggest strength of the team in 2017 and particularly 2018. OSU and Michigan aren't slowing down in that area either though.

Totally disagree about the money part and Penn State is absolutely running a business. Like any other business owner they want ROI. If PSU wins 8 games and misses out on being a T20 class in recruiting then what are they paying him so much for?

I'd be careful with this. CJF killed it in NJ for one year and got his ass kicked last year. I know some will argue the reasons why but it isn't looking too good this year either. Not to mention that he is getting destroyed in his own state for 2017.

I'm as disappointed as anyone that David Adams verbaled to Notre Dame, but this is a little bit of hyperbole for early April, no? The staff has received four commitments, including two from four-star prospects, and will likely add to that haul either during or shortly after the Blue-White Game. And there are plenty of big fish still out there, both in state and out. The key to this recruiting class will be the product on the field, because selling the future while going 7-6 will work for only so long. If PSU goes 8-4 or 9-3, as I expect, and plays a more exciting brand of offense, the recruiting class will be just fine. Let's stop sounding the alarms 10 months before Signing Day.

We can agree to disagree. Franklin had one excellent recruiting class and that was his first. He didn't finish T20 this past season in recruiting. Those DT and LB whiffs are going to eventually impact the play on the field when you have other teams that are recruiting at a higher level consistently that you have on the schedule every year. I did underestimate the offense though, you're right there. Hard to believe that OL could actually be the biggest strength of the team in 2017 and particularly 2018. OSU and Michigan aren't slowing down in that area either though.

I couldn't agree more about the DT and LB recruiting. It's been puzzling to say the least. The 2014 and 2016 classes are both pretty damn good, though, and let's give the staff some credit for their late fliers really paying dividends: Torrence Brown, Christian Campbell, potentially Robert Windsor, etc. Like I said above, to start pulling in top-10, top-15 type classes on an annual basis, prospects are going to want to believe they're committing to a championship-caliber program. That's why the team needs to start taking steps forward this fall, no argument there.

Totally disagree about the money part and Penn State is absolutely running a business. Like any other business owner they want ROI. If PSU wins 8 games and misses out on being a T20 class in recruiting then what are they paying him so much for?

Let me rephrase: James Franklin is only "overpaid" if he's not delivering on the expectations of the athletic department, correct? I'm fairly confident that no one at or connected with PSU, at least anyone with the ability to think clearly, expected B1G titles in 2014 or 2015. I'm beating a dead horse here, but it's important to be realistic about the situation Franklin walked into when judging his performance the past two seasons. I think we start using a different barometer in 2016 and going forward, as the roster situation has changed vastly, for the better. And FWIW, I'm sure the ROI is just fine; ticket sales have increased since Franklin got the job, not decreased.

Reactions: kjb32812
I'm as disappointed as anyone that David Adams verbaled to Notre Dame, but this is a little bit of hyperbole for early April, no? The staff has received four commitments, including two from four-star prospects, and will likely add to that haul either during or shortly after the Blue-White Game. And there are plenty of big fish still out there, both in state and out. The key to this recruiting class will be the product on the field, because selling the future while going 7-6 will work for only so long. If PSU goes 8-4 or 9-3, as I expect, and plays a more exciting brand of offense, the recruiting class will be just fine. Let's stop sounding the alarms 10 months before Signing Day.

Not at all. People were doing cartwheels last year at this time so I think it is fair to also look at where PSU is at right now. They lost out on both Adams and Hinish and both were huge priorities for the staff. Lugg and Ford are off the board and we aren't considered leaders for Wade (OSU). Who knows about Swift. That leaves Webb, Jeter, Thorpe and (kinda) Hainsey. We could lead for three of those but most likely two. That would be 3 (or 4 I guess) of the T10/T11 in PA at best.

In NJ, do we lead for one T10 kid? Micah Clark maybe?

Ummm what? So bc ND got one guy and Pitt has another committed ur saying he's getting destroyed? Wow man, U've been hanging out on other boards too much

Ummm what? So bc ND got one guy and Pitt has another committed ur saying he's getting destroyed? Wow man, U've been hanging out on other boards too much

ND got two guys and Penn State wanted both badly. Pitt has one. You tell me how you think we are doing with the other prospects I listed. Go ahead and tell me about how he is doing in NJ as well.

Shut this thread down, please.

Just know you're better than the sad, twisted Penn State fans. These guys show up on another team's message board to vehemently turn their noses up at us and are shocked when we don't kiss their asses because they think they're college football royalty. These aren't adults, they're despicable people who support a morally bankrupt football program. They're never, ever going to change either. Just know you're better, and let it go. Our program will never be as twisted as theirs is. Ever.

So the 2017 thing is a whole other discussion, but I might suggest you read what I wrote originally again. What I said while addressing a Rutgers fan was that Franklin can pick and choose any MUTUAL recruit. Mutual- meaning recruits with offers from both penn state and Rutgers and decide on one of those two schools to attend. Franklin has gotten 95% of the kids that fall into that category.

Basically what I am saying is that the Rutgers fan is calling blasphemy about wanting Franklin to stay when the truth is in franklin's tenure if Rutgers is recruiting a guy, maybe a good local guy 5.6-5.7 three star kinda guy who doesn't have all the national offers but has the usual suspects (Rutgers, Navy, Virginia, Syracuse, Etc) when the psu offer comes it's over, they sign...

Shut this thread down, please.

Just know you're better than the sad, twisted Penn State fans. These guys show up on another team's message board to vehemently turn their noses up at us and are shocked when we don't kiss their asses because they think they're college football royalty. These aren't adults, they're despicable people who support a morally bankrupt football program. They're never, ever going to change either. Just know you're better, and let it go. Our program will never be as twisted as theirs is. Ever.

That was cute

So the 2017 thing is a whole other discussion, but I might suggest you read what I wrote originally again. What I said while addressing a Rutgers fan was that Franklin can pick and choose any MUTUAL recruit. Mutual- meaning recruits with offers from both penn state and Rutgers and decide on one of those two schools to attend. Franklin has gotten 95% of the kids that fall into that category.

Basically what I am saying is that the Rutgers fan is calling blasphemy about wanting Franklin to stay when the truth is in franklin's tenure if Rutgers is recruiting a guy, maybe a good local guy 5.6-5.7 three star kinda guy who doesn't have all the national offers but has the usual suspects (Rutgers, Navy, Virginia, Syracuse, Etc) when the psu offer comes it's over, they sign...

Fair enough. For the most part you're right. In the last two years I think Seymour would be the exception.

Why in the world are you two arguing about Penn State on a message board that hates your team?!? KJB you've been on this board as a regular long enough to know that nothing positive is going to come out of this here. You don't have to wear blue/white glasses about Franklin or anybody else but you must know that everybody on this board detests him so what's the end game?

That's something any logical Psu fan would agree with u on as well. U do know that since Franklin became coach, and while Flood was RU's head coach, he could pick and choose any mutual recruit he wants right?

Fixed it for you. There is a new sheriff in town and the name is Ash. He is like Franklin, only isn't a fraud, can coach, and knows what winning looks like.

Fixed it for you. There is a new sheriff in town and the name is Ash. He is like Franklin, only isn't a fraud, can coach, and knows what winning looks like.

Ummm ok I'll play along, with ash in town what kind of record do you think your looking at next year. In addition do you believe you will sign over/under 2.5 four star or higher recruits?

Any time Vanderbilt beats Georgia or Florida or another SEC team of that caliber, it's a signature win, down seasons or not. I mean, we're talking about Vanderbilt.

Regardless of your opinion on that, though, it doesn't matter. I'm not concerned about Franklin's "career." I only care about what he does at Penn State. If/when he beats Iowa and/or Michigan State this season, will that be enough for you?
That Florida team lost to a 1AA team. Was Flood great for beating Michigan?

Obviously his record speaks for itself and he has had trouble getting wins against rated teams. And yes, I know that is an understatement. I'm still on the fence though. I just want to make sure we are winning the ones we are supposed to and then I will worry about the others.
I wouldn't call O for against ranked teams trouble. I'd call it a pattern

Last edited:
Oh, I agree, a win is a win is a win, which is why it's unfair not to give Franklin credit for Vanderbilt's wins against Auburn, Tennessee (twice), Georgia and Florida, regardless of how those teams finished those respective seasons. And FWIW, although Georgia finished 8-5 in 2013, they were ranked No. 15 in the country when they lost to Vanderbilt. I think a lot of people here don't quite realize how difficult it is to win at Vanderbilt, and in the SEC no less. Franklin performed minor miracles there.
But he didn't perform a miracle. If you count that Georgia win as good all the other teams added up were horrible. Not even horrible...they were dreadful. I think the teams he beat had like a combined 2 SEC wins.

Last edited:
Last point, the guy is making almost 5 million a year. I dont Want to hear about sanctions or new QB's or Mt West teams that ended up ranked. If you are going to pay top 5 money you should expect more than top 60 results. Question? with your roster does Urban Meyer win more games? Nick Saban? Brian Kelly? You SHOULD get what you pay for......if you think about it we could have kept Flood, given Ash two million for DC and given Lane Kiffin another 1.5 for OC and still pay less than Franklin alone.

Ummm ok I'll play along, with ash in town what kind of record do you think your looking at next year. In addition do you believe you will sign over/under 2.5 four star or higher recruits?

Not interested in the record next year. More interested in seeing the system implemented, winning programs implemented, effort, recruiting.

The better question is what comes first. Ash's first bowl game or Franklin getting canned? Neither will take too long.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT