ADVERTISEMENT

James Franklin's Post Game Presser...Very Impressive

Coach Ash talks about “love”.

Coach Franklin talks about being a psycho.

Who would you like to see running your program? Especially if you really care about winning!!!!

I would take the winner. Who says Franklin is a psycho?

Hey, don't break up some of our fans love affair with Franklin.

PSU fans are up in arms over the play. Maybe the difference between the two teams isn't the coaches, it's the fan base?

Maybe it’s the expectations of the fan bases?

You may say that in jest, but Franklin is building a reputation as a coach who can't seem to win the big one.

I'll take Urban Meyer over James Franklin. If you're going to play in the big one, you may as well win it.

That's quite bold of you, taking the second best coach in the country and a future Hall of Famer over James Franklin. Franklin has won some big games, by the way, as evidenced by the B1G Championship ring he has, and there are undoubtedly more big wins to come. The fourth down call was awful, there's no getting around that, but people tend to go overboard in their reactions. Penn State didn't make enough plays Saturday night to beat one of the best teams in the country, and that's disappointing, but it hasn't shaken my confidence that Franklin is capable of climbing the mountain at PSU. In response to OP, as a PSU fan I enjoyed Franklin's press conference and was glad to hear him take ultimately responsibility; there's no doubt that he is all-in and prepared to put in the work needed to win B1G and national titles.

That's quite bold of you, taking the second best coach in the country and a future Hall of Famer over James Franklin. Franklin has won some big games, by the way, as evidenced by the B1G Championship ring he has, and there are undoubtedly more big wins to come. The fourth down call was awful, there's no getting around that, but people tend to go overboard in their reactions. Penn State didn't make enough plays Saturday night to beat one of the best teams in the country, and that's disappointing, but it hasn't shaken my confidence that Franklin is capable of climbing the mountain at PSU. In response to OP, as a PSU fan I enjoyed Franklin's press conference and was glad to hear him take ultimately responsibility; there's no doubt that he is all-in and prepared to put in the work needed to win B1G and national titles.
Not arguing/fighting, but what is the expectation after McSorley leaves? Will the next QB be able to do what he has done?

Not arguing/fighting, but what is the expectation after McSorley leaves? Will the next QB be able to do what he has done?

Come on Knight Shift, you should know the answer to that. Tommy Stevens will be EVEN BETTER than McSorley, just like Sanders is better than Barkley, lol.

Reactions: redking
This guy gives a shit. Wish Rutgers had an administration and coaches that do like this. We aren't even Pee Wee level at this point. But RU and the other clueless fans saying it takes 6 more years are comfortable with that situation where we are. When fans state they are uncomfortable where the program is now we get poopooed into excuses.

The whole administration, coaching staff, student body, area, etc gives a shit in Happy Valley (one can say former administrations gave TOO MANY shits)

That’s big time football. Rutgers won’t reach that level till EVERYONE buys in.

That's quite bold of you, taking the second best coach in the country and a future Hall of Famer over James Franklin. Franklin has won some big games, by the way, as evidenced by the B1G Championship ring he has, and there are undoubtedly more big wins to come. The fourth down call was awful, there's no getting around that, but people tend to go overboard in their reactions. Penn State didn't make enough plays Saturday night to beat one of the best teams in the country, and that's disappointing, .

I disagree, I didn't find that disappointing at all!!! :-) :-) :-) Go tOSU!!!

BTW, Franklin is 3-15 lifetime vs. Top 25 teams, and is growing to have a reputation as not being able to win the big game, with some fairly notable 4th quarter meltdowns.

Anytime you're replacing a three-year starter and Heisman-level quarterback there's going to be a certain level of uncertainty heading into the next season. That said, there will be a healthy competition, and I believe whoever wins the starting job will be capable of winning a lot of football games. It certainly helps that the recruiting has been such that either Stevens or Clifford will be surrounded by blue-chip talent; Trace is one of only two senior starters on that side of the ball.

Tying this in with Franklin, it will just be the next, "Yea, but..." Can he win without Moorhead? Can he win without Barkley? Etc. It all goes back to recruiting, though. For example, Pat Freiermuth, a true freshman tight end, has eased the loss of Mike Gesicki tremendously. If PSU hasn't reached "reload rather than rebuild" mode yet, it's right there.

Last edited:
Reactions: SJLuvsLions
I
BTW, Franklin is 3-15 lifetime vs. Top 25 teams, and is growing to have a reputation as not being able to win the big game, with some fairly notable 4th quarter meltdowns.

And if you eliminate his Vanderbilt tenure and the two seasons at PSU when he didn't have a complete roster Franklin is 4-5 against T25 teams with the last four losses coming by a total of eight points.

It look Nick Saban eight years to win 10 games and 14 to win a national title. Urban Meyer has two undefeated seasons, one of which was at Utah, and is in his 17th season as a head coach. Dabo Swinney won the national title in his eighth full season after previously trademarking the phrase "Clemson-ing." James Franklin is now in his eighth season overall, fifth at a program capable of winning at a high level, and essentially his third when that was truly possible. He's just getting started.

I think Franklin's a top-shelf head coach. I wish we hadn't left him hanging at Maryland when all he wanted was for the new AD to honor the pledge of the old AD. He didn't shine as an OC here the way he has as HC, so we didn't know what we had...

Reactions: ZMR512
Not true at all about BoB, he did a great job under the circumstances.

I'll take Urban Meyer over James Franklin. If you're going to play in the big one, you may as well win it.

Of course. Franklin is only 3-10 vs Ohio State, Michigan and Sparty.

He is a good coach but I thought he sounded like a jackass in that press conference. The raving about how crazy he was going to become from now on was idiotic. I don't think Penn State will play a better game this season. They played to their full potential and still lost to the better overall team. No degree of "WANTING it more" is going to change PSU.

I think Meyer is a dick for other reasons, but at least he doesn't pull that bush league PJ Fleck BS in his post game interviews.

He is a good coach but I thought he sounded like a jackass in that press conference. The raving about how crazy he was going to become from now on was idiotic. I don't think Penn State will play a better game this season. They played to their full potential and still lost to the better overall team. No degree of "WANTING it more" is going to change PSU.

I think different people will read into Franklin's comments in different ways. But I highlighted one of your comments above because that's the crux of the issue Franklin was getting at it here. I'm not sure that PSU played to its full potential Saturday night - lots of missed tackles still, especially in the fourth quarter, and dropped passes - but let's say it did: Its potential is still not as high as Ohio State's at this point, and OSU is indeed better.

OSU has signed 15, 18, 19 and 23 four- and five-star players from 2015-2018. PSU has signed 13, 8, 11 and 15. That's 28 fewer blue-chip players, or enough to field an entire starting offense and defense. To further put it in perspective, when you consider average star rating on 247, the talent differential between OSU and PSU is essentially the same as that between PSU and Northwestern.

That PSU has competed the way it has with OSU of late is commendable, but to win those games on a consistent basis—to make the plays needed to do so for four quarters, to have the depth not to fade late—more is needed. Things are trending very well for PSU on the recruiting trail right now - we should sign upwards of 20 four- and five-star guys in 2019 and have a shot at bringing in the top class in the country if things break right in 2020.

Everything needs to get better to reach that Alabama, OSU, Clemson level, from coaching on down. But make no mistake, acquiring an elite depth of talent is what will turn these types of losses into wins more often than not. Franklin, always the salesman, knows that better than anyone; there's a reason he kept looking up at the visiting recruits on the balcony in the press room during his opening statement and throughout.

I get the Franklin hate here, but he benched a star tailback because the kid missed classes. The last time OSU benched a star for a big game/any game for missing classes, the sun rose in the West. There were white crows that day, too.

I get the Franklin hate here, but he benched a star tailback because the kid missed classes. The last time OSU benched a star for a big game/any game for missing classes, the sun rose in the West. There were white crows that day, too.

LOL, if you honestly believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

BTW, I just saw a replay of the end of the game (thank you B1G Network), and, believe it or not, Franklin makes the same asinine call at the end of the game, and the Pedophiles go down again! It just doesn't get old, LMAO.

I think Franklin's a top-shelf head coach. I wish we hadn't left him hanging at Maryland when all he wanted was for the new AD to honor the pledge of the old AD. He didn't shine as an OC here the way he has as HC, so we didn't know what we had...

Great recruiter, but a lot of poor calls on Saturday. Not kicking the FG when down 1 in the 3rd quarter was another really puzzling decision. If you don't have a FG kicker who can hit from the 24 yard line that is a real problem.

Penn State had the first half go about as well as it could have and didn't score nearly enough points. They let Ohio State hang around.

Two years in a row they have blown double digit leads in the last few minutes.

No I actually think that will hurt them. It already has and it will again. He makes bad decisions.
Clearly Franklin needs very good assistants... ones with hot wives, apparently.

I still find it amazing that Penn State hired a guy in the middle of a rape scandal at Vanderbilt.. while still on soon-to-be-discarded NCAA sanctions for the child rape scandal.. then he goes on record talking about wanting assistants with hot wives.... really.. you cannot make this stuff up.

Reactions: thegock and GSGS
Of course. Franklin is only 3-10 vs Ohio State, Michigan and Sparty.

I think Meyer is a dick for other reasons, but at least he doesn't pull that bush league PJ Fleck BS in his post game interviews.

Don't agree that they played to their full potential. Yes, tOSU is the better overall team, but QB play is the great equalizer, and McSorley is as good as anybody in the country while Haskins was rattled for a good part of the game. The missed tackles in the 4th qtr and that horrible play call at the end sabotaged what should have been a big win for PSU, less talented or not.

I agree with your thoughts on Franklin's presser, and the B1G roundtable today was agreeing and calling out "WANTING it more" or practicing harder as being BS.

Come on Knight Shift, you should know the answer to that. Tommy Stevens will be EVEN BETTER than McSorley, just like Sanders is better than Barkley, lol.
Between Tommy Stevens and Sean Clifford and the pair of 4 star QBs coming in, PSU will be just fine at QB.

Don't agree that they played to their full potential. Yes, tOSU is the better overall team, but QB play is the great equalizer, and McSorley is as good as anybody in the country while Haskins was rattled for a good part of the game. The missed tackles in the 4th qtr and that horrible play call at the end sabotaged what should have been a big win for PSU, less talented or not.

I agree with your thoughts on Franklin's presser, and the B1G roundtable today was agreeing and calling out "WANTING it more" or practicing harder as being BS.

I don't think Uban Meyer and his OC were on their game until very late.

We can talk about Franklin and staff's mistakes (likely Franklin.. what an idiot.. he probably let his OC call the game to that point then wanted to put his stamp on it.. FAIL!).. but I think OSU staff made mistakes all game long.. but PSU's D is the real thing.

Anybody who's not a brainwashed cultist is happy those bastard fans of theirs have nothing to smile about.
Nothing to smile about? LOL, that's a good one. 3 losses in 2016, 2 in 17, good shot at 1 in 18.
I guarantee you there a lot more smiles in Happy Valley than Piscataway.

It's embarrassing that Rutgers fans are actually criticizing PSUs program or Franklin's coaching in this thread. We are one of the crappiest teams with the worst coach in organized football

9 seasons out of 10 our ceiling would be PSUs floor. Not competing with PSU doesn't mean our administration is doing a bad job, or the coach is clueless, etc. We can never catch up...it is what it is.

However, we should be a far better team every year than Kansas and Buffalo type teams so that should be the standard our coaches are held to.

Nothing to smile about? LOL, that's a good one. 3 losses in 2016, 2 in 17, good shot at 1 in 18.

And yet, you're here, on "Piscataway's board."

Not actually as happy as you purport ... or just a giant loser?

Reactions: RU-AGK
It's embarrassing that Rutgers fans are actually criticizing PSUs program or Franklin's coaching in this thread. We are one of the crappiest teams with the worst coach in organized football

No, it's embarrassing that the New Mexican goon that started a whole thread about how excited he was to attend Little League games instead of watching our game started his next thread to gush about James Franklin. That's the only reason anyone's talking about PSU/Franklin.

Reactions: GSGS
Nobody here gives a blue & white smurfy f*ck what you think you cultist turd.

And as of right now you're not in the driver's seat for a playoff spot or a conference title so sitting there talking about the past makes you sound like a f*cking know-nothing. Keep smiling though.

Last edited:
Between Tommy Stevens and Sean Clifford and the pair of 4 star QBs coming in, PSU will be just fine at QB.

Not to mention with Justin Fields waiting in the wings … oops, nevermind!

Start your count again, and this time I suggest excluding the smiles from old men exiting shower facilities with 10 year old boys.

Not to mention with Justin Fields waiting in the wings … oops, nevermind!
It would have been great to get him, but I'm not going to fret about it. A few years ago, reactions were very similar when Brandon Wimbush flipped to Notre Dame. I think PSU has managed pretty well without him.

Can you find a quote/link where any actual psu fan said sanders is better than Barkley? Thanks.

I Like College FB. Always have.I like the Nits FB Team.I watch them for the quality of FB that they play. When they win I THINK,TOO BAD. WHEN THEY LOSE,i THINK GREAT. Don't like the School and its Culture .Never have.

Reactions: thegock
I have to think that God doesn't like places that enable child molestation for decades, cover it up and then deny that these things happened. That whole karma thing.

That being said, Franklin did himself no favors getting into it with a fan while leaving the field at the end of the game. He also brought up the issue with 2 or 3 players not going to class.

Neither Saban, Meyer or Ash (yeah, I get it) would have done either of these things.

The posts from the Cult faithful on this board (e.g. "prove it" as if the real world didn't know what that hypocrite Joe Ped really was) make me hope they lose every game for the rest of eternity.

They are-disgusting.

Reactions: RU-AGK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT