ADVERTISEMENT

Jamichael Davis - recent highlights

I have 0 chops in evaluating hs kids game translating to college.

That being said I really don’t understand what is holding this kid bank in rankings.

I’m impressed and excited.

Go RU!

He looks great and I'm excited to see him playing for Rutgers. Unpopular opinion on this board, but I would not be surprised if he passes Simpson on the depth chart by January.

Having said that, he's a 2023 playing down with 2024 in on a non-sneaker team in an event like that, why?
He looks great, but for basketball development, that's a waste of time.
If it's helping develop a relationship with Ace and ensuring he's at Rutgers next year (or maybe this year) then it's brilliant.

Reactions: NickRU714
Wonder if there’s any connection between the Davis signing and Cam’s departure? Only so many guard minutes.

He looks great and I'm excited to see him playing for Rutgers. Unpopular opinion on this board, but I would not be surprised if he passes Simpson on the depth chart by January.

Having said that, he's a 2023 playing down with 2024 in on a non-sneaker team in an event like that, why?
He looks great, but for basketball development, that's a waste of time.
If it's helping develop a relationship with Ace and ensuring he's at Rutgers next year (or maybe this year) then it's brilliant.

I was going to ask based on @NewJerseyHawk post above: is Davis going to push Simpson for first guard off the bench?

Assuming Fernandes, Mulcahy, Gavin are the starters.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I was going to ask based on @NewJerseyHawk post above: is Davis going to push Simpson for first guard off the bench?

Assuming Fernandes, Mulcahy, Gavin are the starters.

I have watched enough highlights of Davis and there (to me) is no separation in terms of athletic abilities, between Simpson and Davis.

If that is the case, then it comes down to how well he adapts to the physical nature of the defense needed at this level and can he pick up the defensive game plan.

But, I don't think the kid plays with fear.....he plays with a confidence that Simpson plays with and that (somehow) bothers fans, because they're overly concerned with stats or shoot percentages, instead of impact on opponent or game.

Davis looks to be athletic enough to defend, get to the basket and push the ball in transition. I am not sure he is or is a catch and shoot 3 point guy, but that's not his role.

Simpson and Davis are 2 years in a row, where the guards give RU a complete basketball player. (Dribble, pass, shoot, generate their own shot and ability to get to the basket, 1 on 1).

Deliquan Warren in 2024, mixed with Dylan Harper, would give RU 4 guards, all with this ability and mix in the defense. The one missing item or item we should improve upon with Spencer out of the way, is on the ball defense and keeping the guards outside of the paint. Too many possessions where people got into the paint, drive and kick and another kick winds up with an open shooter.

Preventing the initial drive by the guard, prevents the defensive breakdown and rotations having to be perfect. We need Davis or whomever plays, to do a much better job at the arc.

I am assuming Davis has signed, but am not going to guess on when RU will formally announce his arrival or if he's planning to be at RU in June. His ranking is around 200 elsewhere, which to me is a little low, based on what I see on tape.

I have watched enough highlights of Davis and there (to me) is no separation in terms of athletic abilities, between Simpson and Davis.

If that is the case, then it comes down to how well he adapts to the physical nature of the defense needed at this level and can he pick up the defensive game plan.

But, I don't think the kid plays with fear.....he plays with a confidence that Simpson plays with and that (somehow) bothers fans, because they're overly concerned with stats or shoot percentages, instead of impact on opponent or game.

Davis looks to be athletic enough to defend, get to the basket and push the ball in transition. I am not sure he is or is a catch and shoot 3 point guy, but that's not his role.

Simpson and Davis are 2 years in a row, where the guards give RU a complete basketball player. (Dribble, pass, shoot, generate their own shot and ability to get to the basket, 1 on 1).

Deliquan Warren in 2024, mixed with Dylan Harper, would give RU 4 guards, all with this ability and mix in the defense. The one missing item or item we should improve upon with Spencer out of the way, is on the ball defense and keeping the guards outside of the paint. Too many possessions where people got into the paint, drive and kick and another kick winds up with an open shooter.

Preventing the initial drive by the guard, prevents the defensive breakdown and rotations having to be perfect. We need Davis or whomever plays, to do a much better job at the arc.

I am assuming Davis has signed, but am not going to guess on when RU will formally announce his arrival or if he's planning to be at RU in June. His ranking is around 200 elsewhere, which to me is a little low, based on what I see on tape.
I had the same thought when I saw Davis's tape ... he and Simpson seem to be very similar players. With these two, Fernandes, Gavin and a big man that runs the floor so well (hopefully Cliff returns) we're in a position to completely remake the offense. We can now run a more uptempo attack rather than the slow plodding half court one we ran last year. Even in the half court we'll have playmakers that will create more shots and offense for others. This year I see Paul spending alot more time at forward, where he's more suited, and less time handling the ball in the backcourt. I'm excited about the options.

What I see is Davis is bigger, stronger, and better athletically. That's not to say that Simpson won't be an effective player at Rutgers, I think he can be, Davis looks better athletically. It will be interesting to see them stand next to each other and see if they're about the same size or if one is taller or skinnier.

Davis seems like he finishes higher around the rim (dunks more) and takes on contact better than Simpson. From the highlights I've seen of Davis, he seems to be playing significantly better comp than Simpson's HS highlight videos.

Reactions: AZBlues and FMT

Looking at the highlights.... Davis seems to be more under control than Simpson. Better finisher at the rim, better handles...in Simpsons highschool film and during the season last year he looked to be moving too fast and out of control. Davis looks like he has more control of his body and the game as a pg.

Is "better than Simpson was last year" a high bar for making an impact?
Simpson's numbers:

20 minutes per game - I'll take the UNDER for Davis
7.1 points per game - UNDER
Two point FG 42.5% - UNDER
Three point FG 21.7% - OVER
94.5 Offensive Rating - OVER (very slightly)

Reactions: bac2therac
One of the things I look at is how much a high schooler depends on advantages for that wont be there in D1. 6'5" guys wake up to a whole new world where they are suddenly short and everybody on the court and bench is super athletic, super fast, and in guarding position. I think you have a narrower low range - high range with 17 y.o. Alvidas Tenys, than you do from a 17 y.o. Michael Jordan. You've never heard of the 99 "Michael Jordans" that didn't work out because there games depended on an athletic advantage that disappears when they play UMass-Amherst on opening day. Rooting for Ja, but the road is long and uphill all the way.

One of the things I look at is how much a high schooler depends on advantages for that wont be there in D1. 6'5" guys wake up to a whole new world where they are suddenly short and everybody on the court and bench is super athletic, super fast, and in guarding position. I think you have a narrower low range - high range with 17 y.o. Alvidas Tenys, than you do from a 17 y.o. Michael Jordan. You've never heard of the 99 "Michael Jordans" that didn't work out because there games depended on an athletic advantage that disappears when they play UMass-Amherst on opening day. Rooting for Ja, but the road is long and uphill all the way.
Yup - the guys who have enough size/strength/quickness/athleticism to compete (or more than enough) but rely more on skill/technique/IQ are set up to succeed immediately.

The guys who rely on size/strength/quickness/athleticism can struggle - unless they maintain that advantage at the next level. This is more than just from HS to college BTW - I've seen this just going through elementary school hoops. The kids who hit their growth spurt/mature early have huge advantages but unless they keep growing, they don't last.

What I see is somebody who's quick and shifty with a tight handle. He's also short, slight, and way more of a driver than a shooter. College defenses can defend a guy like that and if he's not strong enough to finish at the rim -- which I doubt as a freshman -- then he's just not going to be able to command minutes.

The unknowns are the vision, the feel for the game, and the defense. Does he know when to attack? Does he know when to pull it back? Derek fit into the defense well but struggled with the other two aspects.

Simpson appears taller and has maybe has the quickest first step of any Big 10 guard, so I think he is quicker. Maybe Davis is the better passer and more of a true PG. I do see Davis as at least Warren's equal as a PG. Simpson is vastly underrated.

Last edited:
Reactions: brucelaw8
An iconic duo: Rutgers basketball fans & talking themselves into an under-the-radar freshman making an impact early in his career.

Yes.....because that's what fans do, we get the chance to look forward to players and getting better. If a Top 200 kid is under the radar and there are 360+ D1 programs, not sure I'd say "under the radar".

The college recruiting scene is still the least covered topic out of all the major sports. I have seen more scouts discussing a A Ball or Rookie league pitcher playing a game in Savannah Georgia than the proper coverage of CBB players.

And we wonder why San Diego State and FIU upset blue bloods with supposedly better players in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8.

Simpson's numbers:

20 minutes per game - I'll take the UNDER for Davis
7.1 points per game - UNDER
Two point FG 42.5% - UNDER
Three point FG 21.7% - OVER
94.5 Offensive Rating - OVER (very slightly)

If he's better than Jalen Miller, he's already an upgrade off the bench.

Davis and his numbers are dictated by opportunities and earning minutes.

If we compare those minutes to Mulcahy at 31 and 32 MPG for Spencer, both guards land or exceed those production standards with the same minutes.

Assuming Gavin lives up to the recruiting hype......

We need a guard/wing that can play 15-20 minutes and be a capable defender and a capable shooter.

Based on my expectations (even though Gavin is a fictional character until he plays in my eyes) Gavin does what Cam did and perhaps more from a volume prospective.

Cam was extremely important for Rutgers 2022-23. If Gavin is legit Cam's value would have taken a huge hit in 2023-24.

Cam is a below average defender, a very good shooter when open, a player who struggles to create his own shot, and a player who found himself on the bench of the 2022-23 team in crunch time quite a few times.

Reactions: hiwater and kcg88

We need a guard/wing that can play 15-20 minutes and be a capable defender and a capable shooter.

Based on my expectations (even though Gavin is a fictional character until he plays in my eyes) Gavin does what Cam did and perhaps more from a volume prospective.

Cam was extremely important for Rutgers 2022-23. If Gavin is legit Cam's value would have taken a huge hit in 2023-24.

Cam is a below average defender, a very good shooter when open, a player who struggles to create his own shot, and a player who found himself on the bench of the 2022-23 team in crunch time quite a few times.
I was thinking yesterday the thing we'd miss most was his free throw shooting. But we were also very bad at getting the ball into his hands to take crucial free throws (part of this is his lack of athleticism)

I was thinking yesterday the thing we'd miss most was his free throw shooting. But we were also very bad at getting the ball into his hands to take crucial free throws (part of this is his lack of athleticism)
If the replacement shoots 69% instead of 89% that is a half a point which doesn't sound significant, but it really is. Especially when you consider the thin margin between NCAA and NIT and how many 1 or 2 possession games that we have played over the past 3 years.

Instead of thinking Gavin replaces Cam, it would have been nice to have 2 elite 3 point shooters on the court at the same time

Instead of thinking Gavin replaces Cam, it would have been nice to have 2 elite 3 point shooters on the court at the same time
Agreed - was looking forward to seeing that

Even bigger is changing our offensive philosophy to take more 3's, a LOT more 3's
We took about 18/game, our opponents took almost 24 - that's bad
especially corner 3's (the best shot in basketball) for guys who can make them at 35% or higher

Noah Fernandes shot 45% from 3 on almost 4 attempts per game in 11 games, was 36% prior season which is still good

Corner 3's - D1 average on corner 3's is 35.9%
Paul shot 52% on corner 3's - small sample 9/17
Hyatt - 35.1% on corner 3's - 20/87
Mag - 40% on corner 3's - 6/15

Overall 36.7% on corner 3's 62/196 but only 8.4% of our shots were corner 3's

One of our advantages with Ace was that we took Davis too. With Davis blowing up, I suspect there will be a lot more schools offering “package” deals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT