ADVERTISEMENT

Jarrett Guarantano Announcing April 15th

Clearing my calendar as I write this.
wink.r191677.gif

Knoxvillians seem to believe they have him in the bag.. Oh lawdy please don't make me have to watch another G Stater go bye bye...?.

I'm expecting the worst. Yet hoping for the best. Whatever happens on 4/15 just remember, nothing is set in stone until signing day anyway

Expecting the worst is all relative.

I for one kinda think we'll be fine without the before Donna.

This post was edited on 3/26 9:43 PM by RuSnp

I won't blame Flood for not getting him but I can not believe Tennessee walked and supposedly locked this kid up and stole him. I mean really Tennessee??? I know they are killing it in recruiting but with almost no connections how could they have done so well so quickly with this kid? tOSU I could understand. Hoping for the best when I get home from work April 15:

The HC at Tennessee has had a longstanding relationship with the family. It shouldn't be that surprising.

Originally posted by RUsojo:
I won't blame Flood for not getting him but I can not believe Tennessee walked and supposedly locked this kid up and stole him. I mean really Tennessee??? I know they are killing it in recruiting but with almost no connections how could they have done so well so quickly with this kid? tOSU I could understand. Hoping for the best when I get home from work April 15:
If UT has him locked up, why is he visiting OSU before announcing on the 15th? Why does he not just make the call now?

Originally posted by RUsojo:

Butch Jones coached Jarret's father when he played at Rutgers.

10 to 11 months till signing day. I keep hearing Tennessee but anything can happen in the long haul.

I just hope the best of Jarrett Guarantano and goes someplace where he is treated and groomed to become an upstanding citizen off the field and a great leader on the field. I hope this place is Rutgers because I think it is one of the very few school you can attend where the coaches really care about you and look to take good care of you AND you have a academic support structure that cares about your academic success so you can obtain a Rutgers degree that will continue to take of you FOREVER just in case an injury cuts his football days short.
But either way... people should honestly root for the best for this kid no matter what he chooses to do because I really don't want Rutgers to be known as a place that gets spiteful if we don't get a recruit. That sort of action does a lot to hurt the reputation we have obtained and wish to maintain which is that of a school that grooms responsible, reliable, and successful men (and women obviously) who are not only ready for the world, but who strives to make a POSITIVE impact. And sitting at home, wishing bad things on a 16 year old kid who just made the toughest decision of his life IS NOT A RUTGERS MAN.
Anyway I know 97% of RU fans already know this and did not need to hear this from me, but this message is directed at the 3% of fans who might let their emotions affect what they write before taking a minute to let his decision fully sink in.

P.S LETS GO RUTGERS!!!! Come to the BANKS JG we want you to take your place in our HISTORY BOOKS!!!

If Vegas set odds like a horse race they would be
UT 4-5
OSU 5-2
RU 35-1

RU needs to be Onion to UT's Secretariat

Interesting odds..... I have no inside information or anything, but Rutgers was just at the top of his list when he was at the Rivals camp and this is pretty rock solid info as it came from Todderick Hunt of NJ.com. Then he went to visit Tennessee and supposedly that put Tenn. in a "slight lead", but then again it was the FIRST time he saw Tenn. so you know it might have just been a situation where he really enjoyed what he saw and it was fresh on his mind so he said now they are the favorite. But now that he has slept on it and had time to think about it again evenly who knows what he is thinking. He has visited RU about 4-5 times and that doesn't count the probably dozen or more times he has come with his dad as a kid.
This could be one of those situations where you have a smoking hot and awesome girlfriend (Rutgers) and you have been with her for 8 years. So then you start a new job and you see this new girl and even though she isn't nearly as cool or as hot as your girlfriend is (Tenn.) .... for whatever reason you are finding this new girl MORE attractive right now. And that is because it is new and unknown while with you girlfriend you are already way past this initial stage.
So yeah anyway I don't know... this is obviously a Rutgers fan trying to rationalize what is going on. I hope I am right and it is just a matter of the "grass looks greener on the other side" , but as he speaks with his parents and friends and coaches I am hoping he realizes he already has the situation that is the best for him with Rutgers.

Originally posted by MikeRU1766:

This could be one of those situations where you have a smoking hot and awesome girlfriend (Rutgers) and you have been with her for 8 years. So then you start a new job and you see this new girl and even though she isn't nearly as cool or as hot as your girlfriend is (Tenn.) .... for whatever reason you are finding this new girl MORE attractive right now. And that is because it is new and unknown while with you girlfriend you are already way past this initial stage.
This is a very good analogy and the reason why I think he will end up somewhere besides RU. Remember how Tommy Lee got bored with Pamela Anderson? I would think it would not be hard to fall in love with what he saw at UT or what he will see at OSU. It seems like he needs a lot of attention and going someplace new and different would likely give him that. Either way, I will not lose any sleep over his decision nor will i get care until signing day. Verbals mean less and less every year. Regardless, we will be fine with or without him, FLood is making strides in recruiting, hopefully its a trend that continues

Only 2 reasons he's announcimg this early. Either he's showing respect to RU by committing to another school and not hindering our search, or he's coming here and looking to get the ball rolling with other recruits

Personally, I think either way he's NOT set in stone so it's theatrics mostly.

Having seen the video of what Tennessee is building on campus, it's not hard to believe he would be impressed. Rutgers needs to figure out a way to get into the arms race that is college sports.

Like he could commit to Tennessee and they could drop him later on.
Originally posted by R1950:
10 to 11 months till signing day. I keep hearing Tennessee but anything can happen in the long haul.

I just don't know how I'm going to be able to sleep between now and 4/15/15 @ 3pm.

I get the vibe that anything he announces is soft at best - don't know why he's announcing so early.

I know I am in the minority here (and maybe even alone on an island), but this whole JG recruiting saga makes me feel like even if he picked RU now we would be sweating a decommit until signing day.

At this point I would rather build a solid class that knows they want to be here rather than build the class on a foundation of a QB that might use a few blowout losses as an excuse to bail, especially knowing from the 2013 experience that when your class falls apart late decent alternatives are mostly gone.

Originally posted by krup:
I know I am in the minority here (and maybe even alone on an island), but this whole JG recruiting saga makes me feel like even if he picked RU now we would be sweating a decommit until signing day.

At this point I would rather build a solid class that knows they want to be here rather than build the class on a foundation of a QB that might use a few blowout losses as an excuse to bail, especially knowing from the 2013 experience that when your class falls apart late decent alternatives are mostly gone.
Disagree. JG is doing his homework and is clearly not rushing a decision. While that causes all sorts of angst in the fan base, the fact that he is doing his work makes me think that once he chooses a school, he will be solid.

Additionally, QB recruiting is unique. UT and OSU will both find QBs pretty quickly if JG were to come here, and once that happens, the chances of him flipping to a school with other QB recruits in his class is pretty low.

He's committing early because QB's are usually the early committs. They recruit other players and know usually they are locked in as the only "good" quarterback that school is taking. Very typical for top QB's to committ early

So youd rather have a bunch of highly committed 3 stars instead of losely commited 4 stars just in case we lose big in 2015?

Thats nonsense. Give me 25 soft April commits from 4 and 5 stars and let the chips fall where they may.

Originally posted by Saint Puppy:
I get the vibe that anything he announces is soft at best - don't know why he's announcing so early.
Because he's an attention whore?

Ya know, I hope he does come here, but at this point I'm just sick of hearing about it.

Originally posted by derleider:

So youd rather have a bunch of highly committed 3 stars instead of losely commited 4 stars just in case we lose big in 2015?

Thats nonsense. Give me 25 soft April commits from 4 and 5 stars and let the chips fall where they may.
No, I would rather get the best QB that wants to be here and have a bunch of 4 stars that want to be here, rather than a QB who has had years of opportunity to convince himself that RU is his place (but is still hesitant) along with 4 stars that would come here at least partially due to that QB's commitment.

3 stars are what you are left with when a big decommit leads to your class falling apart in the fall of its senior year, too late to have any decent alternatives, like in 2013.

Friendly bet. April 15th isn't going to be the last word on JG's recruitment. I would take what happens then with a grain of salt.

Originally posted by T2Kplus10:
Friendly bet. April 15th isn't going to be the last word on JG's recruitment. I would take what happens then with a grain of salt.
+1,000. No matter to whom he commits to on 04/15 after each loss that school has in 2015 the birds will start chirping again given that verbal commitments have become empty promises in the recruiting rat race. The next LOI Day is all that ultimately matters.

Nearly a 100% lock for Tennessee. It would be a real shocker if he flips to OSU or a even bigger shocker if he flips to Rutgers.

Rutgers did everything they could with him, but at the end of the day it is up to him and his family as to where they want him to go and they want Tennessee and the SEC.

Im getting the feeling that we're about to experience what Ole Miss fans did when alum Archie Manning's son Peyton spurned his alma mater and headed off to Knoxville.
sad0004.r191677.gif

Ask yourself this.

Knowing the culture in college football game today, why is UT suddenly knocking the ball out of the park on the recruiting front?

Tennessee appears to be the winner here. Look, the only chance we had for him was his being from NJ and his Dad being an RU HOF'er. Those were big pluses for us, no doubt. But, the reality is, that if a kid is more football than academics oriented or he visits Tenn and sees their facilities, the legacy of Peyton Manning - one of the true great student athletes and great QBs in recent memory (I believe he was a straight A student there), the way football players are the heroes of that University and the bevy of very pretty southern girls running around the campus, it's not hard to understand why he would choose Tenn over RU. Very sad because I believe he would have brought other recruits with him - which would have helped Flood, who has proven to be a very mediocre recruiter.

The kid and his "camp" seem to adore the notoriety, but I don't get the feeling he is a flipper. They just like to play the hype game.

Either way he goes, wake me up in February. Recruiting is getting more boring to me every year.

Did you guys see his recent interview with Farrell? He asked him to rank his top 3 and Rutgers was the top school. I haven't heard or seen anything since, but suddenly half the people are positive he won't come here.

Originally posted by RUblackshirt2006:
Did you guys see his recent interview with Farrell? He asked him to rank his top 3 and Rutgers was the top school. I haven't heard or seen anything since, but suddenly half the people are positive he won't come here.
That was before his trip to Knoxville.

This is exhibit #100 that we need recruiters who know how to close!

RUblackshirt - a number of folks (including myself) have heard indirectly, off this board (supposedly based on direct sources), that Tenn has won this race. It's been out there for a couple weeks now. Who knows what the reality is, but I can tell you that the view that Tenn is the winner is widely held so it will not be a surprise to many people when he announcement comes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT