ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Kill Final Play

AirMcNair1217

Junior
Dec 27, 2010
I'm really not one to micromanage or second guess playcalling too often, but why in God's name did Jerry Kill send everyone deep for the end zone on the final play? On the 40 yard line, the play there is to take a 10 yard out route (which Eastern Michigan was absolutely giving you), get out of bounds at the 30 and take a 47 yard FG attempt. I can't think of any sane reason why you'd chuck a desperation heave into the end zone. To me, this is basic game management strategy 101.

Side note, why is it taking us forever to get the plays in? Over the general course of the game, we're basically never snapping the ball before 5 seconds on the play clock, and the slow operation is KILLING us in end-of-half and end-of-half situations. What is going on?

47 Yd fg for the tie or trust a QB that was 17 for 36 with 2 ints and 0 TDs try throw a Hail Mary for te win with no time left
I'd think going for a FG would be my choice.
Harte was 2 for 2 (25 & 39 ) and might have been a better gamble.

Have you seen our FG kicking past 30yds?
It was supposedly a 12MPH wind in our favor there. 47 yarder should have been entirely possible. Our OC had some very poor decisions.. and we also have some poor execution at times.

Example number 1 of poor decision.. we drive most of the field on running plays.. then bring in Lewis and ask him to run. WTH? Our OL is firing out and running over guys.. EMU safeties are now cheating up in run support.. so you have a slow developing QB draw.. into the teeth of a run blitz?

WTF!

We corrected that on the first play of the next possession with that play-action to Washington.. that is what we needed on the Lewis play.. whether that was Bolin or Lewis.. play-action.

Reactions: Leonard23
The more important play was one play earlier. There, we also looked for the end zone and got a holding. We should have run an out for 10-12 yards and turned the FG into a chippie. Then go for the end zone and, if it fails, kick the chippie. But we ran end zone routes and got a hold. Wasn't happy with that.

But the real problem was that EMU has a much better QB. Secondarily, our receivers can't yet catch anything, particularly in traffic, unless it's in the bread basket.

I know the FG was long but the Rutgers OL had been breaking down quickly on almost every pass play. There was a risk of a sack or hurried INT. Instead you got sloppy play penalty from a worn out OL. I've seen that closing seconds situation a lot in games, and many teams just go for the kicks instead of trying to pull rabbits out of their butt. The ones who dont kick often mess themselves up. I'm not surprised RU got all waxed-up.

Kill definitely had some head scratchers. He's no Fridge.

The interception was obviously terrible execution, but the call was equally as bad.

An outroute to the 6th wr who is tiny, from that far hash, is high risk low reward.

Reactions: Leonard23 and RC85
Their QB was much better than Bolin, who wasn't sharp at all today. EMU dropped at least 4-5 passes also.

I'm really not one to micromanage or second guess playcalling too often, but why in God's name did Jerry Kill send everyone deep for the end zone on the final play? On the 40 yard line, the play there is to take a 10 yard out route (which Eastern Michigan was absolutely giving you), get out of bounds at the 30 and take a 47 yard FG attempt. I can't think of any sane reason why you'd chuck a desperation heave into the end zone. To me, this is basic game management strategy 101.

Side note, why is it taking us forever to get the plays in? Over the general course of the game, we're basically never snapping the ball before 5 seconds on the play clock, and the slow operation is KILLING us in end-of-half and end-of-half situations. What is going on?
that is the way kill wants to run his offense not snapping the ball till 5 seconds left on the clock.

Kill definitely had some head scratchers. He's no Fridge.

The interception was obviously terrible execution, but the call was equally as bad.

An outroute to the 6th wr who is tiny, from that far hash, is high risk low reward.
That INT was the killer even though they got no points. It stopped our drive, flipped the field, and drained the clock. Of course any Big10 db brings that pick to the house and it's game over anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT