ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Harbaugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jefferson cut out the supernatural parts of the Bible and called it The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth, something that no doubt would land a person in jail, or worse, in some theocracies.
Most countries, including our own, openly oppose Jesus.

In which modern country would one be imprisoned or worse for editing the Bible that way, theocracy or otherwise?

You decry straw men yet create a new one in almost every post.

Most countries, including our own, openly oppose Jesus.

In which modern country would one be imprisoned or worse for editing the Bible that way, theocracy or otherwise?

You decry straw men yet create a new one in almost every post.
Who said a modern country? I said some theocracies. Do you think the Plymouth Colony would've looked kindly on the Jefferson Bible? They didn't even like Quakers. Read my words as I write them, not as you twist them for your agenda. Thanks.

Who said a modern country? I said some theocracies. Read my words as I write them, not as you twist them for your agenda. Thanks.
Huh?

So what you wrote is almost entirely irrelevant to the discussion.

Keep grasping, straw man.

Huh?

So what you wrote is almost entirely irrelevant to the discussion.

Keep grasping, straw man.
Let me go slowly for you: in the kind of theocracy lots of people seem to want the Jefferson Bible would be illegal. You might want to read up a little on the history of Christianity. Apparently in Sunday School they didn't tell you the part about 1500 years of repression and persecution, killing witches, torturing heretics, censorship, etc.

Let me go slowly for you: in the kind of theocracy lots of people seem to want the Jefferson Bible would be illegal. You might want to read up a little on the history of Christianity. Apparently in Sunday School they didn't tell you the part about 1500 of repression and persecution, killing witches, torturing heretics, censorship, etc.

Straw-Man_500.gif

Lol.this is the part where so-called Christians pretend Christians never did anything bad in the past and nobody has reason to fear theocracy but rather its the godless atheists we must fear! Straw man. Find another tack.
You have something against Christians? I'm not vouching for anyone, and I am not religious, but I will never understand people attacking religion. Religion provides a lot of people their foundation in life, discipline, principles and a host of other wonderful benefits. Worship is not for everyone, but we can all happily coexist, can't we?

You have something against Christians? I'm not vouching for anyone, and I am not religious, but I will never understand people attacking religion. Religion provides a lot of people their foundation in life, discipline, principles and a host of other wonderful benefits. Worship is not for everyone, but we can all happily coexist, can't we?
My brother is a Christian and I've spent time at his church. Real Christians don't talk like the people online claiming to be Christians, they don't deny that Christianity has some bad things in its past that were very unchristian, or cry victim when people disagree with them, or claim they're being persecuted, or make outlandish claims like evangelicals have no influence in American politics. Hence why I used the term so-called Christians.

The whole back and forth discussion is about having it out for Christians or people who choose to practice any other religion. It about keeping it out of government and not using it as an excuse to enact certain policies, laws, etc. There is definitely an element of religious fanaticism that has permeated politics and government today by people who claim to be Christians but by any account are anything but based on their actions and words. Even in one comment above the whole notion that god hates sorcery and whatever other items kind of goes against The whole notion that god loves everyone. Which is it? But agree we all should be able to coexist but to do so means reaching some sort of compromise which isn’t happening. And there are basic human rights that are being challenged in our society today that we should not be compromising on.

It could be some of the posters here might sound like they are against a religion or all religions, but the fact of the matter is they are against others trying to push religious beliefs on them and acting like not accepting their POV makes you a hater.

Some act like their religion is a cure all for the evil in this world and accepting their religious tenets will make you a better person.
But when someone else points out how some of them tenets might have been taken from a religion that was practiced way before theirs was started, the person pointing out those facts becomes a godless heathen and a hater of their savior.
Pointing out evil done in the past by a religion makes the true believers act like victims of an unwarranted attack and being persecuted by the haters instead of admitting wrongs have been done and owing up to their faith has done wrong but it does help a lot of people be better persons because of believing in the higher power that is all seeing and all knowing allowing the good to enter God's domain called Heaven , while the bad ones go to suffer eternal torture in the devil's domain called Hell..

Do you feel the religious minded posters here haven't attacked, even a little, those who pointed out that their religion might not be all it seems to be and have at times persecuted those who didn't align with their beliefs in the past and might be trying to force their religious tenets on everyone, including non believers.
Or just attacked someone just because they wouldn't accept something they said in support of their religious beliefs.

What you see as an attack could just be someone strongly suggesting he/she doesn't accept what some posting seem to be claiming that believing what they believe is the only way to show you're a good person.
Ignoring the fact that other religions don't believe in who they believe in and not all that practice those religions are bad.
Also their are many good people considered atheist as well.

The whole back and forth discussion is about having it out for Christians or people who choose to practice any other religion. It about keeping it out of government and not using it as an excuse to enact certain policies, laws, etc. There is definitely an element of religious fanaticism that has permeated politics and government today by people who claim to be Christians but by any account are anything but based on their actions and words. Even in one comment above the whole notion that god hates sorcery and whatever other items kind of goes against The whole notion that god loves everyone. Which is it? But agree we all should be able to coexist but to do so means reaching some sort of compromise which isn’t happening. And there are basic human rights that are being challenged in our society today that we should not be compromising on.
What I don’t understand is that you don’t accept my right to believe my religion’s scripture.

You seem angered or at least annoyed that I said I believe God hates sorcery when that is what the Bible says about God.

Why are you mad that I believe God hates sorcery? When in fact I used that only as my personal justification as to why I personally would never entertain myself with a fiction book about magic.

I didn’t try for a second to impose my view about magic on anyone — not even on Christians and certainly not on non-Christians

You like many folks have an anti-Christian bias, which, by the way is all explained in the Bible.

Let’s please all coexist and not hate others with differing views and opinions.

What I don’t understand is that you don’t accept my right to believe my religion’s scripture.

You seem angered or at least annoyed that I said I believe God hates sorcery when that is what the Bible says about God.

Why are you mad that I believe God hates sorcery? When in fact I used that only as my personal justification as to why I personally would never entertain myself with a fiction book about magic.

I didn’t try for a second to impose my view about magic on anyone — not even on Christians and certain my not on non-Christians

You like many folks have an anti-Christian bias, which, by the way is all explained in the Bible.

I don’t have a problem with you believing your religion’s scripture. I do appreciate your civil discussion. I used the magic comment as an example because when I had to attend Catholic CCD as a kid the notion was that god didn’t hate anyone or anything and was all about forgiveness, etc. it wasn’t about the magic it was use of the word hate. The Bible is kind of contradictory in my opinion and one can cherry pick bits and pieces to defend almost any position of argument.

I didn’t try for a second to impose my view about magic on anyone — not even on Christians and certainly not on non-Christians

"You like many folks have an anti-Christian bias, which, by the way is all explained in the Bible."
No I don't, just try to point out some religious beliefs might not have started when a religion said it did and show where that part of religion's tenets might have come from.
I'm far from anti-Christian, just don't accept that one religion is the only way to go, or if even any religion is the right one to follow.
Like I pointed out, not accepting what is being claimed makes you a hater by those trying to claim believing in their religion is the way to go if you want a better world to live in.

Seems like the real haters are the ones claiming their religious values are the only way to go and then gets upset of someone disagrees with them.
I'm not against any religion, but I'm against any religion telling me I must accept their religious tenets as the way to live my life

Lol.this is the part where so-called Christians pretend Christians never did anything bad in the past and nobody has reason to fear theocracy but rather its the godless atheists we must fear! Straw man. Find another tack.
Lol...yeah atheists were the worst murderers of all time... Hitler Stalin and Mao. Yet you fear people who are commanded to love their neighbors. People like you make it really really hard...

I don’t have a problem with you believing your religion’s scripture. I do appreciate your civil discussion. I used the magic comment as an example because when I had to attend Catholic CCD as a kid the notion was that god didn’t hate anyone or anything and was all about forgiveness, etc. it wasn’t about the magic it was use of the word hate. The Bible is kind of contradictory in my opinion and one can cherry pick bits and pieces to defend almost any position of argument.
Thanks!

I was also raised Catholic. I went to CCD and experienced varying levels of devotion to that religion throughout my life: was a Eucharistic minister at times and other times I didn’t even attend.

When I was born again, I read the Bible and learned a lot of things about God and what He is like that were often surprising and scary.

God loves everyone in a very general sense. For example, how he created everyone and blesses them with daily provisions and permits them to enjoy life.

However, God makes it clear in the Bible that He hates sinners (like me):

“You are not a God who delights in wickedness; evil may not dwell with you. The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers” (Psalm 5:4–5).

“The Lord tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence” (Psalm 11:5).

Before one is born again, he or she is an enemy of God. That’s why the gift of salvation from God through Jesus Christ is so great. He gives it freely to all who turn from their life of sin (we are all sinners) and look to Jesus and trust in Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection for their salvation.

Lol...yeah atheists were the worst murderers of all time... Hitler Stalin and Mao. Yet you fear people who are commanded to love their neighbors. People like you make it really really hard...
First of all did you ever hear of the Spanish Inquisition, that was evil personified and not an Atheist movement
About Hitler, I found this.
Adolf Hitler remains a persistent mystery on one front — his religious faith. Atheists tend to insist Hitler was a devout Christian. Christians counter that he was an atheist. And still others suggest that he was a practicing member of the occult. None of these theories are true, says historian Richard Weikart. Delving more deeply into the question of Hitler’s religious faith than any researcher to date, Weikart reveals the startling and fascinating truth about the most hated man of the 20th century: Adolf Hitler was a pantheist who believed nature was God. In Hitler’s Religion, Weikart explains how the laws of nature became Hitler’s only moral guide — how he became convinced he would serve God by annihilating supposedly “inferior” human beings and promoting the welfare and reproduction of the allegedly superior Aryans in accordance with racist forms of Darwinism prevalent at the time.

Yes the three despots you mentioned were pure evil, but over the years leaders of various countries have used religion to kill .
Both Atheist and leaders of countries who claimed to follow god's laws have slaughtered the innocent for their own gains and some possibly because of their religious beliefs made them intolerant to those who didn't practice the same religion.

God said we were His enemies

“Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior” (Colossians 1:21).

The apostle Paul referred to unsaved sinners as enemies of God: “For since our friendship with God was restored by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be saved through the life of his Son” (Romans 5:10, NLT).

So then you're all for having your taxes raised to provide for all those unwanted children, right? Surely you're not hypocritical enough to want to see a fetus delivered only to abandon it at birth. Either you care about life, which includes the living not just fetuses, or you don't.

It is ironic that many people opposed to abortion are for the death penalty.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
It’s ironic for sure. Also hypocritical and inconsistent.
It's also ironic and hypocritical that people for abortion who scream my body, my choice, favored people getting fired for not taking an experimental vaccine that has proven to have minimal benefit to others. In the end, like the right to die if that is what one chooses, if you don't want to take a vaccine that may save your life, you should not be compelled to do so. The more data that comes out and is analyzed, more is revealed that the data was not as strong as officials claimed it was.

God said we were His enemies

“Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior” (Colossians 1:21).

The apostle Paul referred to unsaved sinners as enemies of God: “For since our friendship with God was restored by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be saved through the life of his Son” (Romans 5:10, NLT).

So, Catholics don't go to heaven? Jews? Muslims?

Reactions: NotInRHouse
So, Catholics don't go to heaven? Jews? Muslims?
If they repent and put their faith in Jesus Christ, all of them can be saved, even you.

“Go to Heaven”? I recommend you look in the Bible for information on what happens when you die and what happens when Jesus comes back.

It’s a lot more interesting than the cartoons of baby angels sitting on fluffy clouds make it out to be.

It's also ironic and hypocritical that people for abortion who scream my body, my choice, favored people getting fired for not taking an experimental vaccine that has proven to have minimal benefit to others. In the end, like the right to die if that is what one chooses, if you don't want to take a vaccine that may save your life, you should not be compelled to do so. The more data that comes out and is analyzed, more is revealed that the data was not as strong as officials claimed it was.

Except that someone else getting an abortion has no tangible impact on my life or yours. Not getting vaccinated is the opposite, especially in those circumstances.

But it doesn't matter ..You're talking about private employers, not gov. Why would private employers not have the right to do everything they could to maintain a healthy, productive workforce? Very different from the government mandating no abortion, then going insane with banning from other states, prosecuting for miscarriage, no rape exemptions.

Funny that anti-vax folks thought they were so clever for co-opting "my body my choice," then, a year later, well ...not so much of that anymore. Utter hypocrisy.

Now the anti-vax nutters are popping off. Sorry, y'all's are a menace to public health - I try to pay as little attention to y'all's opinion as possible. Hope your nieces don't get polio.

If they repent and put their faith in Jesus Christ, all of them can be saved, even you.

“Go to Heaven”? I recommend you look in the Bible for information on what happens when you die and what happens when Jesus comes back.

It’s a lot more interesting than the cartoons of baby angels sitting on fluffy clouds make it out to be.

OK, your god is better than everyone else's God. So much so that any non-BA's will forever rot in hell. Got it.

Last edited:
Reactions: fsg2 and robcac26

Except that someone else getting an abortion has no tangible impact on my life or yours. Not getting vaccinated is the opposite, especially in those circumstances.

But it doesn't matter ..You're talking about private employers, not gov. Why would private employers not have the right to do everything they could to maintain a healthy, productive workforce? Very different from the government mandating no abortion, then going insane with banning from other states, prosecuting for miscarriage, no rape exemptions.

Funny that anti-vax folks thought they were so clever for co-opting "my body my choice," then, a year later, well ...not so much of that anymore. Utter hypocrisy.
Someone else getting vaxxed has no tangible impact on your health either. It does not stop transmission. The vax has minimal impact on young and healthy people.
And you conveniently ignore the fact that an abortion in later term is a 100% termination of a life, while not getting vaxxed is a statistical chance that a person might lose their own life. Two different things.

And no, you are wrong on the "gov." Firefighters, police and other public workers were fired for not getting the vax.
Now the anti-vax nutters are popping off. Sorry, y'all's are a menace to public health - I try to pay as little attention to y'all's opinion as possible. Hope your nieces don't get polio.
You couldn't be more wrong. Not anti vax. But the vax has been shown to do nothing to protect others from transmission. Forcing young healthy people to get vaxxed was unnecessary, and actually poses a danger to males in the 18-24 age group. The data is there, but the vax devotees want to ignore it while they pray to their Lord Fauci, a false prophet. But vax is like religion to some. Lord Fauci should be fired for spreading misinformation and going after people he disagreed with. He is a dangerous government bureaucrat with far too much power an authority.

Here you go. Straight from the right-wing nutjob publication Nature:

41467_2022_31401_Fig1_HTML.png

41467_2022_31401_Fig2_HTML.png

41467_2022_31401_Fig3_HTML.png

Last edited:

Are we talking about actual Christians like Jimmy Carter who devote their time to Habitat for Humanity, people who house refugees, people who campaign for healthcare for the meek and poor...or are we talking about "Christians" who pay for their mistresses to have abortions while voting against a right to birth control?

It could be some of the posters here might sound like they are against a religion or all religions, but the fact of the matter is they are against others trying to push religious beliefs on them and acting like not accepting their POV makes you a hater.

Some act like their religion is a cure all for the evil in this world and accepting their religious tenets will make you a better person.
But when someone else points out how some of them tenets might have been taken from a religion that was practiced way before theirs was started, the person pointing out those facts becomes a godless heathen and a hater of their savior.
Pointing out evil done in the past by a religion makes the true believers act like victims of an unwarranted attack and being persecuted by the haters instead of admitting wrongs have been done and owing up to their faith has done wrong but it does help a lot of people be better persons because of believing in the higher power that is all seeing and all knowing allowing the good to enter God's domain called Heaven , while the bad ones go to suffer eternal torture in the devil's domain called Hell..

Do you feel the religious minded posters here haven't attacked, even a little, those who pointed out that their religion might not be all it seems to be and have at times persecuted those who didn't align with their beliefs in the past and might be trying to force their religious tenets on everyone, including non believers.
Or just attacked someone just because they wouldn't accept something they said in support of their religious beliefs.

What you see as an attack could just be someone strongly suggesting he/she doesn't accept what some posting seem to be claiming that believing what they believe is the only way to show you're a good person.
Ignoring the fact that other religions don't believe in who they believe in and not all that practice those religions are bad.
Also their are many good people considered atheist as well.

The bottom line is at least in the US, no one is forcing any non-Christian religion on anyone else.

Lakewood isn't mandating long skirts. Dearborn isn't mandating hijabs.

Yet Texas is preventing women no matter their religion from securing basic resolutions to ectopic pregnancies and miscarriages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT