ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Harbaugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also ironic and hypocritical that people for abortion who scream my body, my choice, favored people getting fired for not taking an experimental vaccine that has proven to have minimal benefit to others. In the end, like the right to die if that is what one chooses, if you don't want to take a vaccine that may save your life, you should not be compelled to do so. The more data that comes out and is analyzed, more is revealed that the data was not as strong as officials claimed it was.

The actual hypocrisy there is

1) claiming to be "pro life" but refusing to do anything to prevent COVID, be it vaccines, masks, social distance, etc

2) Claiming business shouldn't discriminate based on vaccination status, but should deny LGBT people service based on "deeply held religious beliefs"

Speaking of vaccines, don't we have an example of one man we consistently hear is so strong getting sent to Walter Reed for COVID, and another who was vaccinated and who we hear is weak and too old, not needing any hospital care because of COVID?

But by all means....if the people who won't accept the vaccine works don't want it, please, don't get it! At least this pro choice person will not be angry at all!

The actual hypocrisy there is

1) claiming to be "pro life" but refusing to do anything to prevent COVID, be it vaccines, masks, social distance, etc

2) Claiming business shouldn't discriminate based on vaccination status, but should deny LGBT people service based on "deeply held religious beliefs"

Speaking of vaccines, don't we have an example of one man we consistently hear is so strong getting sent to Walter Reed for COVID, and another who was vaccinated and who we hear is weak and too old, not needing any hospital care because of COVID?

But by all means....if the people who won't accept the vaccine works don't want it, please, don't get it! At least this pro choice person will not be angry at all!
With the right today there's hypocrisy in literally every single thing they do. I long for the days when they were at least consistent. Yet their voters are completely unaware. It's become absurd. A party that has kowtowed to corporations for well over 100 years is now trying to link Democrats to "evil, woke, big, bad corporations" like Disney as if the GOP isn't still the handmaiden of Big Business. The left is far from perfect but the right is utterly insane now. Even a center/center right magazine like The Economist, a publication started to promote free trade in the 19th century, runs regular pieces on how out of control the right is and what a danger to democracy the Republicans are.

With the right today there's hypocrisy in literally every single thing they do. I long for the days when they were at least consistent. Yet their voters are completely unaware. It's become absurd. A party that has kowtowed to corporations for well over 100 years is now trying to link Democrats to "evil, woke, big, bad corporations" like Disney as if the GOP isn't still the handmaiden of Big Business. The left is far from perfect but the right is utterly insane now. Even a center/center right magazine like The Economist, a publication started to promote free trade in the 19th century, runs regular pieces on how out of control the right is and what a danger to democracy the Republicans are.

Everywhere from this board to Congress I have seen former Republicans start to realize the error of their ways. The party just a white "Christian" nationalist movement with its main goal to abolish democracy and capitalism and turn the US into some evangelical version of Turkey or Hungary. Knowing most Americans don't want that they do anything to throw votes out, overturn elections, etc including violence as we have seen.

Let me ask. Is it hypocritical to vote against a bill that protects gay marriage but then goes to his gay son's wedding? If I were the son he wouldn't have been allowed in but good for him for being the bigger person.

Everywhere from this board to Congress I have seen former Republicans start to realize the error of their ways. The party just a white "Christian" nationalist movement with its main goal to abolish democracy and capitalism and turn the US into some evangelical version of Turkey or Hungary. Knowing most Americans don't want that they do anything to throw votes out, overturn elections, etc including violence as we have seen.
The problem is that they think the left is trying to destroy America along with inmigrants--thier politicians literally say it all the time--and so they've come to believe that any tactic is acceptable to win, even attacking the Capitol, because they're just trying to save America. This is how fascism forms. And what the slightly--slightly--more moderate Republicans who feel this way don't realize or don't care about is that a lot of really crazy far right types have climbed aboard for this Holy War. They're getting elected to Congress, people like Marjorie Taylor Greene, who are literally unhinged at times. It's taking their movement to save America from crazy to beyond crazy. The difference between where the parties stand is obvious in recent presidents: Democrats elected Biden, a moderate Democrat under pressure from the far left nuts who often resists them, versus Trump, a guy who pushes a lot of insanity and who also kowtows to the worst in his party most of the time.

Let me ask. Is it hypocritical to vote against a bill that protects gay marriage but then goes to his gay son's wedding? If I were the son he wouldn't have been allowed in but good for him for being the bigger person.

Depends why he voted against it. So, not necessarily.
Some lawmakers feel that federal legislation is not the right way to go about it. It's another slippery slope.

And before the mouth breathers pounce, I fully support LGBTQIA rights.

Wow this thread 👏🏼
Uh Huh Yes GIF

Someone else getting vaxxed has no tangible impact on your health either. It does not stop transmission. The vax has minimal impact on young and healthy people.
And you conveniently ignore the fact that an abortion in later term is a 100% termination of a life, while not getting vaxxed is a statistical chance that a person might lose their own life. Two different things.

And no, you are wrong on the "gov." Firefighters, police and other public workers were fired for not getting the vax.

You couldn't be more wrong. Not anti vax. But the vax has been shown to do nothing to protect others from transmission. Forcing young healthy people to get vaxxed was unnecessary, and actually poses a danger to males in the 18-24 age group. The data is there, but the vax devotees want to ignore it while they pray to their Lord Fauci, a false prophet. But vax is like religion to some. Lord Fauci should be fired for spreading misinformation and going after people he disagreed with. He is a dangerous government bureaucrat with far too much power an authority.

Here you go. Straight from the right-wing nutjob publication Nature:

41467_2022_31401_Fig1_HTML.png

41467_2022_31401_Fig2_HTML.png

41467_2022_31401_Fig3_HTML.png

No one is talking about late term abortion. I agreed on that ban, minus rare exemptions, pages ago. 15 weeks sounds fair.

At the time the vax came out, it was absolutely the best chance to stop the spread and get life back on track. Funny that the people whining the loudest about shutdowns couldn't be bothered. Haven't seen anyone talking about mandates lately - using today's data and virus evolution to argue about what was happening a year ago is the most disingenuous part of this train wreck thread.

Your examples are all employers, which is still light-years away from an entire government controlling health decisions for citizens. Wake me when that happens for the vax, and this comparison might make the slightest bit of sense.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
No one is talking about late term abortion. I agreed on that ban, minus rare exemptions, pages ago. 15 weeks sounds fair.

At the time the vax came out, it was absolutely the best chance to stop the spread and get life back on track. Funny that the people whining the loudest about shutdowns couldn't be bothered. Haven't seen anyone talking about mandates lately - using today's data and virus evolution to argue about what was happening a year ago is the most disingenuous part of this train wreck thread.

Your examples are all employers, which is still light-years away from an entire government controlling health decisions for citizens. Wake me when that happens for the vax, and this comparison might make the slightest bit of sense.
There are multiple slick rock (slippery-mountain bike reference) here on both issues. The entire government is not controlling health decisions of citizens on abortions either. It has been left to the states, a position I don't necessarily agree with. There are parallels between the two, as much as you don't want to admit it.

This is
There are multiple slick rock (slippery-mountain bike reference) here on both issues. The entire government is not controlling health decisions of citizens on abortions either. It has been left to the states, a position I don't necessarily agree with. There are parallels between the two, as much as you don't want to admit it.
States are still government. How is Big State Government any better than Big Federal Government? In the past, states have usually been far more tyrannical than the federal government. In the Civil Rights Era it was the federal government that came to the aid of blacks who had long been mistreated by states not the other way around.

Entire state governments are, including the one with the best slickrock. Not sure I want to raise teenage kids in that environment.

Come on now. To name a few? That is dead on arrival you moron. There will be no ban on abortions. It will be decided by the states. Will some crazy states ban it? Maybe. But you must understand it has zero chance of a federal ban.

Just like Biden said we could pack the court? Lots of things could happen. Doesn't mean they have a snow balls chance in hell.

Neither would survive a filibuster. Right now the Dems want to kill it. I'm sure if Republicans take control of the Senate and House the sides will reverse

This is

States are still government. How is Big State Government any better than Big Federal Government? In the past, states have usually been far more tyrannical than the federal government. In the Civil Rights Era it was the federal government that came to the aid of blacks who had long been mistreated by states not the other way around.

I mean bans for doing it in other states? Absolutely insane.

I mean bans for doing it in other states? Absolutely insane.
I can't imagine punishing people for going to other states to get legal medical procedures done would be considered constitutional but then again courts are packed with right wing activist judges. However, Republican voters should be up in arms over the mere suggestion of something so tyrannical and Big Brother, but they aren't, which shows you how far gone they are.

Not ironic at all.

Capital punishment is not murder.

Abortion is murder.
You are making an assertion and presenting it as fact.

The term "murder" is a legal construct. Murder is whatever the law says it is. In some places capital punishment is murder and abortion is not. In other places, the opposite.

I think the better question has to do with "termination of a human life". Emphasis on the word HUMAN. There is no question that capital punishment results in the termination of a human life. That cannot be debated. The justification for the fact is debatable, the fact itself is not.

Abortion, on the other hand, results in the termination of... what? A human life? Perhaps. That is what you believe, and I as well. But it's not what everyone believes. Do we have the right to impose our beliefs on everyone else?

You are making an assertion and presenting it as fact.

The term "murder" is a legal construct. Murder is whatever the law says it is. In some places capital punishment is murder and abortion is not. In other places, the opposite.

I think the better question has to do with "termination of a human life". Emphasis on the word HUMAN. There is no question that capital punishment results in the termination of a human life. That cannot be debated. The justification for the fact is debatable, the fact itself is not.

Abortion, on the other hand, results in the termination of... what? A human life? Perhaps. That is what you believe, and I as well. But it's not what everyone believes. Do we have the right to impose our beliefs on everyone else?

A fetus viable outside the womb (3rd trimester) is not a human life? That's one hell of a stretch.

Thanks!

I was also raised Catholic. I went to CCD and experienced varying levels of devotion to that religion throughout my life: was a Eucharistic minister at times and other times I didn’t even attend.

When I was born again, I read the Bible and learned a lot of things about God and what He is like that were often surprising and scary.

God loves everyone in a very general sense. For example, how he created everyone and blesses them with daily provisions and permits them to enjoy life.

However, God makes it clear in the Bible that He hates sinners (like me):

“You are not a God who delights in wickedness; evil may not dwell with you. The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers” (Psalm 5:4–5).

“The Lord tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence” (Psalm 11:5).

Before one is born again, he or she is an enemy of God. That’s why the gift of salvation from God through Jesus Christ is so great. He gives it freely to all who turn from their life of sin (we are all sinners) and look to Jesus and trust in Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection for their salvation.
That’s the part that’s hard to get around when thinking in the context of Catholicism and Protestantism that unless you are born again you an enemy of god. Because I’m sure even born again Christians will sin again so is there confession like for Catholics? How would a Catholic sinner who goes to confession not be forgiven in the eyes of someone who is a born again Christian? Not saying anything is wrong with what you believe, just that for me that is difficult logic to follow. I actually had a conversation years ago with someone who was born again and her answer was that Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, would all go to hell if they weren’t born again not matter how good they may otherwise be as people. Maybe she had an incorrect understanding but I was taken aback and my response was I guess I’ll ne in good company. As a footnote we continued to work together and got along fine just didn’t see eye to eye on that front.

A fetus viable outside the womb (3rd trimester) is not a human life? That's one hell of a stretch.

Why do you guys keep repeating this complete strawman when it was knocked down, lit on fire, ashes dispersed into the coastal winds so, so long ago?

You do know you are using an extreme example to make your point. There are very few third trimester abortions that are not driven by severe medical concerns.

But I will play along. There is a sect of Judaism which believes that until the actual moment of birth, the fetus is part of the mother and that the decision of the mother must govern.

Mind you, I don't share this view. I guess my point is - it's complicated. To quote Swiss historian Jacob Burckhardt, "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT