ADVERTISEMENT

JMike Buzzer Beater

Taking and making shots off the dribble is the mark of a good shooter .This seasons roster has more players with that skillset.

Reactions: Scarlet83
One of the things that would make JM a top-level player (in addition to an improved jumper) would be the ability to see the floor AS he is attacking the rim. Without that theD can collapse more, his only options are to go all the way to the hole or a corner kick which will likely be covered.

IMO JMike will end up playing more minutes this season than many here seem to be projecting.

Is that a good thing, considering the alleged pedigree of the transfers we brought in?

JMike was almost a negative on offense last year and would suddenly surpass the "8th leading scorer in the nation" and other transfers?

One of the things that would make JM a top-level player (in addition to an improved jumper) would be the ability to see the floor AS he is attacking the rim. Without that theD can collapse more, his only options are to go all the way to the hole or a corner kick which will likely be covered.
Yes. I agree. His lack of height certainly hurts him with this so he needs to have his head on a swivel while he’s penetrating. Perhaps there were trust issues last year as well but this year just having Ace on the floor should lead to more ball movement.

Reactions: zebnatto
Is that a good thing, considering the alleged pedigree of the transfers we brought in?

JMike was almost a negative on offense last year and would suddenly surpass the "8th leading scorer in the nation" and other transfers?

That's the type of competition that good teams should have. Further is the assumption that true freshman don't work on their game to improve? If JMike is superior on D to his teammates and improves on O to a more acceptable level, perhaps he would have won more minutes.

Reactions: RutgHoops
JMike was pressed into action more than he should have been last season, between our two late-departing guards, JWill’s suspension, and Austin and Noah coming off injuries.

Despite that, he did pretty well as a true freshman. In 23 minutes he gave us roughly 6 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists and one steal per game while playing stellar D..

His shooting percentage at 37% was not great, but it was equal to Hyatt at 37%, 2% better than Noah at 35% and 6% better than Simpson at 31%.

He was abysmal from behind the arc at 23% but only took one attempt per game, and from the FT line at 52% but only had 2 attempts per game.

If he can improve overall to 40% from the field, 30% from behind the arc, and 63% from the charity stripe, with the energy and effort he brings and the way he defends, then in 12-15 minutes per game he will be a solid contributor on both ends of the court.

JMike was pressed into action more than he should have been last season, between our two late-departing guards, JWill’s suspension, and Austin and Noah coming off injuries.

Despite that, he did pretty well as a true freshman. In 23 minutes he gave us roughly 6 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists and one steal per game while playing stellar D..

His shooting percentage at 37% was not great, but it was equal to Hyatt at 37%, 2% better than Noah at 35% and 6% better than Simpson at 31%.

He was abysmal from behind the arc at 23% but only took one attempt per game, and from the FT line at 52% but only had 2 attempts per game.

If he can improve overall to 40% from the field, 30% from behind the arc, and 63% from the charity stripe, with the energy and effort he brings and the way he defends, then in 12-15 minutes per game he will be a solid contributor on both ends of the court.
It'd make more sense to compare him to Acuff and Derkack insofar as scoring, both of whom are better scorers than JMike. I don't see JMike getting much PT ahead of those upperclassmen, unless in a full court press situation. Also, he can be a defensive liability due to his height, so don't overstate his defensive value.

It'd make more sense to compare him to Acuff and Derkack insofar as scoring, both of whom are better scorers than JMike. I don't see JMike getting much PT ahead of those upperclassmen, unless in a full court press situation. Also, he can be a defensive liability due to his height, so don't overstate his defensive value.
I think Davis will get some important minutes. He is more than a very good defender: He is an exceptional on-ball defender, the best on the team. And he is NOT a liability due to his height (not like Fernandes was at 5'11"). Yes, he is "just" 6'2", but generally will be defending against guys 6'5" or shorter, which has not been an issue. It is true that a couple of times he got taken advantage of on switches and ending up against 6'6" or taller wings who could also post up ... those types of players do give him a problem. But he is so quick and athletic, it was not like with Fernandes when players he was defending one on one simply pulled up and shot over him (happened to Fernandes many times) - that was NOT a problem for Davis.

I think he plays a very different role than Acuff or Derkack, and should be able to help RU playing 10-12 minutes per game. For one, he is the only pure PG on the team. And also, he is the best on-ball defender RU has. I suspect Derkack plays at the WF more than the 2G position, if you differentiate between those 2 positions ... meaning Derkack might be the 1st sub for Bailey at the 3, or for Martini/the Center, if Bailey moves to the 4 in some match-ups. It is really hard to handicap how Pikiell envisions the rotations and match-ups. Would he have both Willams and Davis in at the Guard positions? Good defense and play-making, but much, much less offense. I could see Acuff and Davis matched up together, or Davis and Harper ... or Davis with Harper at the 3 at times, and either Acuff or Williams at the 2.

Heck, I dunno, I guess I should admit. But I think Davis will be really useful - but yes, less playing minutes than last season, as the number of potential quality Guards and Wings theoretically have been increased on this roster.

Reactions: BillyC80
One more thing I looked at in the clip ... And, yes, I know, many of us are too hung up on the supposed heights of the players, myself included. Still, until I see them in person, or with more direct side-to-side pictures, I will keep speculating, fueled by Pikiell's occasionally ridiculous size and pumping up of ability inflationary comments.

So ... after Davis makes the shot, and the other players begin to react to him, you can see Davis and Dortch standing relatively close together, both standing flat-footed. Davis is a legitimate 6'2", I am sure. Dortch DOES look really tall (Pike has been touting him as really tall, and has been interviewed several times saying Dortch was as tall as 6'10"). He sure does look at least 7" taller than Davis in that clip, when both are standing flat-footed near each other. So Dortch might have grown and actually be 6'9" or taller (listed at 6'7" during recruiting). Late in the brief clip Bailey greets Davis - that comparison is not as easy since neither are flat-footed, and Bailey has his knees bent. But Bailey does NOT look as tall as Dortch ... so maybe 6'8" to 6'9", with Dortch a bit taller ... that WOULD be consistent with what Pikiell has said recently, by the way.

Completely separately ... there is no way Sommerville is 6'10", which some have said he is. I would say 6'8" or maybe 6'9" .. and very strong, and thick. Not hugely "athletic" (i.e. explosive jumping and quickness), but looks to have very good footwork, and supposedly good hands. More of a "skills" player than a pure athlete. Love to see RU have a "skills" player in the post ... cannot remember the last time we had someone like that.

With this year's roster, guys are going to be in a much better position to excel at the things they are good at, and also be indications as to where their eventual pro value may be. In the right role, JMike is absolutely a key piece for this upcoming season. Bringing defensive hustle while showing some skills on offense at the very least, can earn him some time, mostly on the defensive end, in those defense/offense substitutions late in a game.

Reactions: BillyC80
One more thing I looked at in the clip ... And, yes, I know, many of us are too hung up on the supposed heights of the players, myself included. Still, until I see them in person, or with more direct side-to-side pictures, I will keep speculating, fueled by Pikiell's occasionally ridiculous size and pumping up of ability inflationary comments.

So ... after Davis makes the shot, and the other players begin to react to him, you can see Davis and Dortch standing relatively close together, both standing flat-footed. Davis is a legitimate 6'2", I am sure. Dortch DOES look really tall (Pike has been touting him as really tall, and has been interviewed several times saying Dortch was as tall as 6'10"). He sure does look at least 7" taller than Davis in that clip, when both are standing flat-footed near each other. So Dortch might have grown and actually be 6'9" or taller (listed at 6'7" during recruiting). Late in the brief clip Bailey greets Davis - that comparison is not as easy since neither are flat-footed, and Bailey has his knees bent. But Bailey does NOT look as tall as Dortch ... so maybe 6'8" to 6'9", with Dortch a bit taller ... that WOULD be consistent with what Pikiell has said recently, by the way.

Completely separately ... there is no way Sommerville is 6'10", which some have said he is. I would say 6'8" or maybe 6'9" .. and very strong, and thick. Not hugely "athletic" (i.e. explosive jumping and quickness), but looks to have very good footwork, and supposedly good hands. More of a "skills" player than a pure athlete. Love to see RU have a "skills" player in the post ... cannot remember the last time we had someone like that.

They should actually start reporting height at the shoulders combined with wingspan. For college players. IMO those are more important in basketball than measuring height to top of head.

I think Davis will get some important minutes. He is more than a very good defender: He is an exceptional on-ball defender, the best on the team. And he is NOT a liability due to his height (not like Fernandes was at 5'11"). Yes, he is "just" 6'2", but generally will be defending against guys 6'5" or shorter, which has not been an issue. It is true that a couple of times he got taken advantage of on switches and ending up against 6'6" or taller wings who could also post up ... those types of players do give him a problem. But he is so quick and athletic, it was not like with Fernandes when players he was defending one on one simply pulled up and shot over him (happened to Fernandes many times) - that was NOT a problem for Davis.

I think he plays a very different role than Acuff or Derkack, and should be able to help RU playing 10-12 minutes per game. For one, he is the only pure PG on the team. And also, he is the best on-ball defender RU has. I suspect Derkack plays at the WF more than the 2G position, if you differentiate between those 2 positions ... meaning Derkack might be the 1st sub for Bailey at the 3, or for Martini/the Center, if Bailey moves to the 4 in some match-ups. It is really hard to handicap how Pikiell envisions the rotations and match-ups. Would he have both Willams and Davis in at the Guard positions? Good defense and play-making, but much, much less offense. I could see Acuff and Davis matched up together, or Davis and Harper ... or Davis with Harper at the 3 at times, and either Acuff or Williams at the 2.

Heck, I dunno, I guess I should admit. But I think Davis will be really useful - but yes, less playing minutes than last season, as the number of potential quality Guards and Wings theoretically have been increased on this roster.
Agree with this.

In addition, Davis has two other advantages over the others: 1) He’s the only player on our roster that has faced a full slate of B1G opponents, and 2) Unlike our other guards, he is coming off a full season of playing for Pike in real game action (not just practice).

That said, because of the addition of Harper and JWill on day one this year, JMike will play fewer minutes as a sophomore than he did as a freshman, but his value in those minutes will be critical to our success.

I agree with everything said about Davis’ D. I do not agree that he plays like a “pure point”. Pure points are natural ball distributors with great court vision. Davis was only a frosh but I don’t consider this an area of strength for him based on where he left off last season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT