ADVERTISEMENT

JMike Video

I didn't watch every moment of every game last season, but he seemed like one of the higher IQ basketball players we had.
With scorers on the floor I’d like to see him be an assist first guard…never looking to force shots at the rim. His lack of size hurts him in this element though as far as court vision and him reaching around defenders and finding passing lanes. But…He can “blow by” (must say in a Bill Raftery voice) defenders which will create space for shooters and better finishers (Ace is probably the best freshman finisher in CBB).
No reason he can’t hit 5 assists per game in 16 mpg (he was at 2 assists in 23 mpg last year). If he did that he could average 2 ppg and still be a huge asset.
He’s not a scorer (at least not yet) at this level.

With scorers on the floor I’d like to see him be an assist first guard…never looking to force shots at the rim. His lack of size hurts him in this element though as far as court vision and him reaching around defenders and finding passing lanes. But…He can “blow by” (must say in a Bill Raftery voice) defenders which will create space for shooters and better finishers (Ace is probably the best freshman finisher in CBB).
No reason he can’t hit 5 assists per game in 16 mpg (he was at 2 assists in 23 mpg last year). If he did that he could average 2 ppg and still be a huge asset.
He’s not a scorer (at least not yet) at this level.
Boo Buie averaged 5 assists per game last season playing about 35 mpg, and he was fourth in the Big Ten in assists. The top guys were Elijah Hawkins (7.5), Ace Baldwin (6.0), A.J. Hoggard (5.2), and then Buie at 5.0.

There is NO WAY JMike or any other player is averaging 5 assists per game in 16 minutes.

Boo Buie averaged 5 assists per game last season playing about 35 mpg, and he was fourth in the Big Ten in assists. The top guys were Elijah Hawkins (7.5), Ace Baldwin (6.0), A.J. Hoggard (5.2), and then Buie at 5.0.

There is NO WAY JMike or any other player is averaging 5 assists per game in 16 minutes.
When u passing to Ace, Ogbole and Grant for at least 3 allyoops per game you can…especially if JaMike is on the 94 feet of hell defensive unit…high pressure D and in -transition finishes.
JaMike can have a very efficient season if he’s used properly and if he plays appropriately.

Last edited:
I didn't watch every moment of every game last season, but he seemed like one of the higher IQ basketball players we had.

I would actually argue the opposite.
Davis had arguably the worst shot selection when driving to the lane. It seemed he went out of his way to attempt a contested layup against 3 bigger guys.

The enduring memory of last season for me will be this tv announcer quote during a 1 on 3 fast break:
"Davis doesn't have the numbers. Oh, he's going anyway."
Followed by a heavily contested misses layup.

I would actually argue the opposite.
Davis had arguably the worst shot selection when driving to the lane. It seemed he went out of his way to attempt a contested layup against 3 bigger guys.

The enduring memory of last season for me will be this tv announcer quote during a 1 on 3 fast break:
"Davis doesn't have the numbers. Oh, he's going anyway."
Followed by a heavily contested misses layup.
He went games without an assist.

FTs are still a concern. If you are getting minutes, you have to sink them. His outside shot is inconsistent. We have alot of guards. Hope he gets minutes, but not sure where they will come from.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
FTs are still a concern. If you are getting minutes, you have to sink them. His outside shot is inconsistent. We have alot of guards. Hope he gets minutes, but not sure where they will come from.

Think it’s between him and JWill at the 1.

I think it's more likely he gets minimal minutes than not.

I think people are underestimating how much Dylan and Ace will have the ball and be running the offense.
The need for additonal "ball handling" as a top skill isn't nearly as much a priority as it's being made out to be.

Unless your telling me Ace, Acuff, Derkack and Hayes are Hyatt level dribbling the ball up the court - which would be quite disappointing. Especially for Ace.

Reactions: YoucancallmeRay

I think people are underestimating how much Dylan and Ace will have the ball and be running the offense.
The need for additonal "ball handling" as a top skill isn't nearly as much a priority as it's being made out to be.

Unless your telling me Ace, Acuff, Derkack and Hayes are Hyatt level dribbling the ball up the court - which would be quite disappointing. Especially for Ace.
Agree. Dylan has to be the PG and run the show. Can't take the ball out of his hands.

Reactions: Unionst

Dylan and J. Will will start at the 2 guard positions. Barring injury this is as much a lock as one can find. Ace Bailoey will start at the WF. Also a lock. Almost certainly Martini will start at the PF. How many minutes any gets is what we the fans do not know (or maybe even the staff yet).

J. Davis' greatest value, and why I think he will get at least 10-12 mpg, is his DEFENSE. He is by far and away the best defender on the team, IMO. You find minutes somehow for that defense. I would hate to see Ace Bailey, Acuff, Derkack and Hayes all on the court at the same time without Harper, J. Will or Davis ... Those 1st 4 are just NOT terrific ball handlers or offensive creators for their teammates. Bailey may have that potential, but is more a scorer, with a scorer's mentality, more than a set-up mentality ... Acuff also. Hayes is not that quick and should only be expected to be a spot-up shooter. Derkack did have a fair number of assists last season, but was also a huge turnover machine.

Last year's problems included not enough playmakers to either properly set up other players, or to break down their defender, or to successfully get good shots one on one. Bailey is expected to be able to break down his defender and get good shots one on one, which leaves the POTENTIAL to pass to other open teammates - but he is also accustomed to finishing those plays, by taking and making those shots. Acuff looks like he could be pretty good at getting shots one on one - but we have no idea of his ability to set up his teammates. Davis did have 11 games of 3 or more assists - and in only one of those games did he have more than 23 minutes played (the game he had 6 assists). Just saying ...

Still, Davis plays because of his defense, first, and secondarily because he is the only pure PG on the team (as opposed to "lead" guards like Harper and JWill).

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT