ADVERTISEMENT

John Beilein taking the Cleveland Cavs job

UM should call:
1. Billy Donovan
2. Brad Stevens
I've read some speculation about Donovan. Brad Stevens could be if the Celtics want to switch things up, but I think he sticks and they let Kyrie walk.

Also, people forget that Beilein interviewed for the Pistons job last year.

Mike Decourcy of the Sporting News has Steve Pikiell listed as 4th om a list of 9 possible candidates for the Michigan job. I doubt Steve would leave but one never knows. Personally I think he loves it at RU and wants to continue improving our team. Willard is listed 9th.

Mike Decourcy of the Sporting News has Steve Pikiell listed as 4th om a list of 9 possible candidates for the Michigan job. I doubt Steve would leave but one never knows. Personally I think he loves it at RU and wants to continue improving our team. Willard is listed 9th.
Given his overall record at Rutgers, Pikiell would be a gutsy call by their AD, but I also think he's got a better shot at it than some might think. When you consider what he inherited there, to be poised to win something in 2019-20 year is really very impressive. He also knows the league and would be a strong cultural fit at Michigan. If I were Warde Manuel, I'd be considering him for sure. He might swing for the fences, but if those fail, I'd be very confident hiring Pikiell there. If you're paying attention - as I'm sure another Big Ten AD is - he is very appealing. (I'm sure it's not what you guys want to consider, but you can't be more than a season away from having to fight for him anyway ... it could start now.)

Reactions: dconifer
I (a Maryland guy) love Pike and am thrilled to see the improvement at Rutgers. But I think transforming Rutgers from a clown team to one that can win some games isn't enough to be considered for a job like Michigan. He might be at that level, but I don't think he's shown it with certainty yet.

Going from a 300-level program to top 100 is excellent. But after that, it gets a lot harder to climb the ladder.

Wonder if Gregg Marshall at Wichita State or Chris Beard at Texas Tech get phone calls...

Nate Oats at Alabama will likely field calls as well. This is a rare situation where a great coach replaces another great coach.
Was thinking Chris Beard as well. He ll be perfect as a replacement for Beilein

Reactions: Mr Magoo
I've read some speculation about Donovan. Brad Stevens could be if the Celtics want to switch things up, but I think he sticks and they let Kyrie walk.

Also, people forget that Beilein interviewed for the Pistons job last year.

Donovan or Stevens might be ripe for the taking. Both have had frustrating years in the NBA this season.

Do you really think if Michigan offered $20,000,000 for 5 years he would turn it down?

I think he loves it here and his family loves it here, but they adjusted fine moving from SB to RU. They'd do OK going to Ann Arbor.

I (a Maryland guy) love Pike and am thrilled to see the improvement at Rutgers. But I think transforming Rutgers from a clown team to one that can win some games isn't enough to be considered for a job like Michigan. He might be at that level, but I don't think he's shown it with certainty yet.

Going from a 300-level program to top 100 is excellent. But after that, it gets a lot harder to climb the ladder.

There are 2 things
1. In your gut thinking he can get the job done
2. Picking a qualified candidate

I don't think the Michigan AD would be crazy picking Pikiell AND I think he could get it done at Michigan. They are both (Pike and Bee Line) very similar in the way they carry themselves. I don't think he would have a problem recruiting at Michigan.

The fact that Pikes name is mentioned here is a feather in our collective caps.
It also means that his salary might have to be raised to keep him at Rutgers,Schiano successfully used that strategy after interviewing for Michigan.

Beilein was basically equal to Izzo the last 9 seasons if you measure head to head, conference success, and tourney success.

Michigan was 9-14 vs MSU during Beilein's tenure. Those are the reference points, since head to head matchups are what both fanbases point to.

Beilein basically replicated the success that Johnny Orr had. It's not like Michigan never made it to a final four or won the conference before. Granted Orr never won the B1G Tournament.

Michigan will make a good hire. Just about every coach not named Roy, K, Bennett or Self would love that job.
They didn't have a tournament in Johnny Orr's day.

They didn't have a tournament in Johnny Orr's day.
Did the Michigan team that lost in the 1976 championship game to undefeated Indiana coach itself? He went to four tournaments overall and that was in an era when there were only 25 or 32 teams in the NCAA Tournament.

Reactions: shields
Did the Michigan team that lost in the 1976 championship game to undefeated Indiana coach itself? He went to four tournaments overall and that was in an era when there were only 25 or 32 teams in the NCAA Tournament.
I'm not sure what to what you are taking exception. I'm not arguing that he was not a good coach, just pointing out there was no conference tournament in the Big 10 back then.

The new job is a financial windfall...but the Cleveland Cavs as a team are a mess....
As to financial windfall, in some respects I'm sure, but when you're already making $3 million plus per year the numbers better be pretty F'ing sweet, which is not what the Cavs are known for

The new job is a financial windfall...but the Cleveland Cavs as a team are a mess....
Other than Kevin Love's contract, the Cavs are set up to have a lot of wiggle room to rebuild. They have some big expiring contracts they should be able to move for draft picks (Tristan Thompson and JR Smith).

I think Love and Sexton will thrive in his offense, but they are in no doubt rebuild mode.

They have 2 #1s in the 2019 draft (top 5 and #26) and could have 2 #1s in 2021 draft and 2022 drafts.

Donovan or Stevens might be ripe for the taking. Both have had frustrating years in the NBA this season.

Billy Donovan is a lame duck coach at OKC with only 1 more year guaranteed. OKC picked up the 5th year option but did not extend him beyond that....IMO, one to keep an eye on.

Reactions: RU_Planning
I'm not sure what to what you are taking exception. I'm not arguing that he was not a good coach, just pointing out there was no conference tournament in the Big 10 back then.
Oh, I misunderstood your post when you tournament. Since you didn't specify I thought you meant NCAA tournament.

Billy Donovan is a lame duck coach at OKC with only 1 more year guaranteed. OKC picked up the 5th year option but did not extend him beyond that....IMO, one to keep an eye on.
Another NBA team would likely be interested

Another NBA team would likely be interested

But, it's not a guarantee and if Michigan comes calling at $4.5 million per for 5 years....he would have to think real hard about turning down the more money, stability and guarantee. He is only making $4 with OKC.

Last edited:
But, it's not a guarantee and if Michigan comes calling at $4.5 million per for 5 years....he would have to think real hard about turning down the more money, stability and guarantee. He is only making $4 with OKC.
First, OKC would have to give Michigan permission to even talk to Billy. I'm not sure that would happen. Even if they did I'd still have a hard time seeing him at Michigan. However, they are a Nike school (Jordan Brand actually) so that would help them with Billy much more than some of the other programs that were reportedly interested in him in recent years.

I'm keeping my eye on Thad Matta tho.

First, OKC would have to give Michigan permission to even talk to Billy. I'm not sure that would happen. Even if they did I'd still have a hard time seeing him at Michigan. However, they are a Nike school (Jordan Brand actually) so that would help them with Billy much more than some of the other programs that were reportedly interested in him in recent years.

I'm keeping my eye on Thad Matta tho.

Plus, I think Donovan was burned out with recruiting...I read that somewhere.

That Matta...interesting. name

Would Michigan hire Thad Matta? I would think his OSU background would make some U of M alum cringe. Isn't Chris Webber still estranged from the other members of the Fab 5? Do you need a degree for the job? Did he get one over time?

I would be surprised if Pike wound up being a serious candidate for this but also think the likes of Donovan, Stevens and Jay Wright are equally unlikely for different reasons. Of course you never know what individuals true preferences are but both Donovan and Stevens seem to have acclimated well to the NBA.

Of course Pike's agent will do what he can to keep him relevant throughout this process. Does he have the same agent as Hobbs as well?

Any chance Mark Few would leave Gonzaga?

He has built a perennial Top 10 program at Gonzaga against all odds. He currently only makes about 25% of what Coach K makes and has had several chances to "cash in". He could have had the UCLA job if he wanted it and stayed on the west coast. Oregon offered him a "blank check" a while ago and Arizona also wanted him and he had no interest. It seems that he is very happy where he is and I seriously doubt he would leave that for Michigan.

Last edited:
Bruce Weber might fit-----older , wiser experienced type who has Midwest ties.

Has done a great job at Kansas State after doing poorly at Illinois.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT