ADVERTISEMENT

John Beilein taking the Cleveland Cavs job

Probably right and I could see why.

But I don't think Michigan should be your first HC job either.

Sort of agree, but the timing of this meant there were not any great candidates available with guys like Stevens and Donovan unwilling to leave the NBA and guys like Jay Wright or Chris Beard already at their likely destination job. That means picking through small schools or assistant ranks.

I think Juwan Howard is the overwhelming favorite at this point and for not being a previous HC he at least checks a lot of boxes. He's an alum. Longtime NBA assistant for a coach that has a great rep for developing young players (especially now with NBA and NCAA tactics so similar). Probably a dynamite recruiter especially if he gets nephew Jaden McDaniels to follow him to Ann Arbor.

He could totally bust out, but his floor as a coach is probably reasonably high if he can recruit well, especially if he can hire (or retain) the right assistants.

Michigan A.D. Warde Manuel is interviewing Juwan Howard today in Florida.

If that goes well, Howard will likely be offered the job and will accept it.

Then we'll see if Howard can talk Yaklich into staying or if Yaklich bolts to Texas to work with Smart.

Sort of agree, but the timing of this meant there were not any great candidates available with guys like Stevens and Donovan unwilling to leave the NBA and guys like Jay Wright or Chris Beard already at their likely destination job. That means picking through small schools or assistant ranks.

I think Juwan Howard is the overwhelming favorite at this point and for not being a previous HC he at least checks a lot of boxes. He's an alum. Longtime NBA assistant for a coach that has a great rep for developing young players (especially now with NBA and NCAA tactics so similar). Probably a dynamite recruiter especially if he gets nephew Jaden McDaniels to follow him to Ann Arbor.

He could totally bust out, but his floor as a coach is probably reasonably high if he can recruit well, especially if he can hire (or retain) the right assistants.

Very surprised Bruce Weber at K-State didn't get a look at the UM job.

HOWARD is the. NEW michigan coach. Deal was done after howard interview on tuesday. Should come out tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT